[2011 Matchday 24] Whitecaps vs Chicago Fire | 2011 August 07

Discussion in 'Vancouver Whitecaps' started by whiteisthecolour, Aug 6, 2011.

1. whiteisthecolour

whiteisthecolour Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 10, 2007
    Miyazaki, Japan
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    [​IMG]vs [​IMG]

Date|Time:
    Sunday August 07, 2011 | 4:00pm PST

Venue:
    Empire Field | Vancouver, BC

Forecast:
    Partly Cloudy, 24C

TV Broadcast:
    [​IMG]

League Position & Form [Last 5 League]:
    Vancouver: 2-11-9, 15 pts, -13 GD [L-L-L-D-L]
    Chicago: 2-6-13, 19 pts, -5 GD [D-D-L-L-D]

Last Meeting:
    0-0​

2. Fynnsky

Fynnsky Member

Jul 15, 2011
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Any guesses on starting XI? I hear Jarjar was called up for int'l duties...

Hassli and Camilo up front with Davide in support always seems potent. Chicago's record isn't much better than ours so I can see a good result for the white and blue

LET'S GO YOU CAPPERS!!!

3. dewhitecapfan

dewhitecapfan Member

Jul 28, 2008
    I would rather see us throw Salgado in for Jarju, and keep Camilo out wide. I haven`t found Camilo and Hassli play off each other very well when they`re both up front.

Thought Camilo was terrible out wide against the Galaxy however, and wouldn`t mind seeing Teibert back in the mix out wide, which is an option if they do throw Camilo up front, now that he is healthy.

4. Fynnsky

Fynnsky Member

Jul 15, 2011
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    The Sun is reporting that Thorington is likely. Maybe he can give that MF a boost.

5. ManiacalClown

ManiacalClown Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Referee: Chris PENSO
    MLS Career Stats: 7 games, 3.3 Y/g, 2 R
    MLS 2011: 7 games, 3.3 Y/g, 2 R
    Assistant Referees: Hector VERGARA and Mike ROTTERSMAN
    Fourth Official: David GANTAR

All-time Vancouver matches with Penso as referee:
    Code:
    5/14/2011
    New England Revolution 1 - 0 Vancouver Whitecaps FC
    YELLOW: J. DeMerit, Z. Boggs, S. McCarthy
    RED: NONE

7/6/2011
    Vancouver Whitecaps FC 0 - 1 Columbus Crew
    YELLOW: G. Koffie, Camilo, E. Gehrig, C. Marshall
    RED: S. Salinas (SFP)

OVERALL RECORD: 0-2-0
    0.000 PPG
    All-time Chicago matches with Penso as referee:
    FIRST MATCH

6. JohnnyRanger

JohnnyRanger Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 30, 2008
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    text updates and highlights of goals is all I saw but it look like a piss take with loads of poor defending by both teams.

7. whiteisthecolour

Staff Member

Apr 10, 2007
    Miyazaki, Japan
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    WOW!

Okay so just got back from the game and I'll tally some observations here:

1. "Dave" from the Southsiders board is awesome, selling me a spare ticket for $20 so I could go to the match. Walking to the match from Oscar's, I predicted the win with the classic "We're due." And we won! (Of course, frequent readers of this forum know I'm always say that and will cynically say that I couldn't predict snow in Iqaluit, but I digress...)

2. What's happened to the Southsider March to the Match? March 19 it was 200 strong. Today it was about 40 strong. Weird.

3. Team looked good from where I was standing, chasing back well, playing with energy, and better touch than the games I've seen lately.

4. I am famous. I am in the Sportsnet highlight.

5. I say 6 rows down from Jay DeMerit, Long Tan, etc - so that was cool.

6. WE WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOON! I've been to two matches now, and we won both 4-2. I think the FO should hire me to attend games. I am talismanic.

7. I love the Hassli-Dede bromance. Eric scored 30 seconds in and tracks all the way back to the bench to hug Chiumiento (didn't Harvey deserve some lovin' for the service?). lmao

Have we turned a corner? Someone please tell me our team has turned a corner.

Is Soehn a better coach than TT? Does this game prove anything?

8. JohnnyRanger

JohnnyRanger Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 30, 2008
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    We were less Bad.

We still can't defend, and we made less critical mistakes.

it also proves that the Fire keeper is in the wrong profession.

9. TheCopperSheik

May 18, 2011
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    I am no expert on Southsiders; but I think the location and all that hurts their pre-game march. Getting people out to Burnaby 2 hours before kickoff is no easy task so I think perhaps the numbers in their march dwindle as guys just can't get there on time (especially for 230pm on a sunny summer Sunday). Looking in the stands, their numbers seem to have held steady.

I would make a guess that if they get a pub downtown close to skytrain and the new stadium; the marches could get quite large in numbers.

As for your point about who is the better coach; I think TT was but that is all moot now. We are going to have to live with Tommy for the time being. I do think that any guy who is in charge of finding players should not be having his time taken by the on-field role. So, he should not be coach next year even if the Caps retain his services (and I am not sure they should).

10. Krammerhead

Krammerhead Guest

Speaking just for myself, the march to the match is one of my least favourite game day things. It's all about "look at us", and that's not my thing. I think a lot of people got bored with it.

11. whiteisthecolour

Staff Member

Apr 10, 2007
    Miyazaki, Japan
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I think I've always thought of it as a "parade thing" and bystanders tend to notice (/gawk) and enjoy. In that sense, the march becomes something of a recruitment tool (or at least plants seeds in younger fans) for supporters groups.

12. Krammerhead

Krammerhead Guest

That's what it's intended to be, but from the times I've participated I've noticed that that the most repeatedly chanted song is the juvenile "f*cking dynamite" one which may tend to turn people off from joining.

Funny thing about that though. A coworker of mine was coming home from work and caught part of the march during an early season match. The following week at work he said he caught our group marching to the game and ask if our name was the "tots". This after seeing us all marching behind the big Tot banner.

13. dewhitecapfan

dewhitecapfan Member

Jul 28, 2008
    Personally the location sucks for this sort of march... Hastings is pretty much a highway at this point, and the through traffic most likely could care less about a group of half cut supporters falling off the sidewalk stumbling/marching towards Empire... However, I think the tradition would be much more effective in the downtown core, where pedestrians and slower traffic would be much more interested, and hope the tradition can continue after the venue change.

Side note, is there an established Supporters Bar downtown?

14. JohnnyRanger

JohnnyRanger Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 30, 2008
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    The Southsiders have been working with a few different bars over the last year(s) DT... for away match watching etc. I believe the SS'ers meet at Doolins currently for the away games.

15. Fynnsky

Fynnsky Member

Jul 15, 2011
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Further to the pub talk, I thought it was sad/lame when I noticed that the MLS website has a section specifically for supporters pubs, and Vancouver doesn't have a single listing:

http://www.mlssoccer.com/fans/pubs

What's up with that?

16. TheCopperSheik

May 18, 2011
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    I think most pubs in our fine city are not too interested in dedicating themselves to be a true supporters pub for the Whitecaps. This should change as time passes I think, but I would guess the Southsiders have had a hard time finding pubs to get with the program.

Most pubs in our city do not even show the Caps games live. If someone requests it you get one TV somewhere while the rest have poker, hockey shows, golf, TSN feeds, etc.

But, the move downtown may open that door wide open. There is only one pub close to Empire anyways.

17. JohnnyRanger

JohnnyRanger Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 30, 2008
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    It's likely got more to do with the Caps FO and their communication to the League.

The Southsiders certainly do have Supporters Pubs:
    Oscars for home matches
    Doolins for away matches

and both places advertize themselves as such.

I can't speak for any other Whitecaps Supporters groups if any others truly do exist and if they have any official pub connections.\

The Caps FO has it all backwards when it comes to supporters culture. look at how far the ECS and the TA have come in our cascadia sister cities...they couldn't have done what they've done (which I'm very envious of) without the blessing and assistance of their respective FO's...ours sadly misses the point altogether. examples:
    1. Pricing us out of our environment WE created; thereby:
    2. Fracturing the SS, instead of uniting/enabling and fostering growth of the SS
    3. The away ticket fiasco turned into another money making corpo-advertizing partner thingy with Uniglobe, burning the SS...

the list goes on and it's been done to death.

18. Fynnsky

Fynnsky Member

Jul 15, 2011
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    They made that quite obvious when they let security tell the SSers in sec 221 to sit down because people behind them couldn't see.