[2011 Matchday 2] Philadelphia Union vs Vancouver | 2011 March 26

Discussion in 'Vancouver Whitecaps' started by whiteisthecolour, Mar 21, 2011.

1. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    Re: Gameday March 26, 2011: Philadelphia vs Vancouver [R]

Very interesting call.

When the ball is initially played, Le Toux is not in an offside position.
    Other players are, but they are not involved in the play (while in an offside position) and therefore irrelevant.

The initial ball was deflected.

A deflection of the defense does not reset offside unless the defense's touch of the ball was controlled. (not relevant here).

Now, unlike the defensive touch, ANY touch (whether controlled or not) by the offense resets offside.

So, HAD McInerney touched that ball, La Toux, being in an offside position by the time the ball gets to McInerney, would have been flagged for offside.

Since McInerney did not touch the ball, and since the deflection of the defender was not controlled, offside is determined at time the ball was initially played.

At that time, La Toux was not in an offside position. Good non-call.

2. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006

While nothing I said here is incorrect, I was focused on La Toux.

However, if you follow through to the pass from La Toux to Ruiz, Ruiz is offside.

Ruiz is clearly beyond the second Last defender and, at the moment the ball is played, he is nearer the goalline than the ball.

Looking at this still, La Toux has not yet reached the front line of the 6yrd box when he plays the ball to Ruiz. Ruiz, however, is already across that line at the moment the ball is played.

[​IMG]

Offside.

1 person likes this.
  3. Hippanonymous

Hippanonymous Member

Sep 4, 2009
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps

I didn't say "in the Vancouver section"...you did. I said on the same topic. That topic being The Caps Union game.

Comprehension is your friend.

4. JohnnyRanger

JohnnyRanger Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 30, 2008
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland

Well let's not resort to name calling in the future, consider yourself warned.

Even though "Dick" isn't exactly harsh or whatever...if you take issue with someones posting or attitude try to be at least witty about it, perhaps mix in some sarcasm or wit... make it fun, please, in the future, don't resort to name calling.

thanks.

~trying to be easygoing wfc forums mod. ;)

5. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Comprehend this ... I have been nothing but polite and respectful when posting in this section of BigSoccer. You're the one bringing up comments I might make and/or tones I may take on other threads into this one. I was questioning where - on the Vancouver boards - you may have found said posts where I'm being this "complete dick".

6. whiteisthecolour

whiteisthecolour Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 10, 2007
    Miyazaki, Japan
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Dills, you called someone a jackass in the Philly forum. Chill out. If your giong to use that kind of language and report others for it, you can consider yourself warned as well.

And I hate warnings. Yolanda, be cool. Are we cool?

~ relaxed easy-going Left Coast mod

7. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, the Philly forum, to a fellow Philly fan, in jest ... read my response in the mods section then get back to me. Apples and oranges.

A warning, huh? :rolleyes:

8. CMeszt

CMeszt Member+

Farewell Sweet Prince
    Jan 9, 2004
    Gentrification's Apex.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    I'm getting a sense week 3 can't get here soon enough...

9. Hippanonymous

Hippanonymous Member

Sep 4, 2009
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps

Point of order Mr Moderator...Let the record show the defendant(me) was not CALLING Mr Dills a dick, but rather applauding Mr Dills ability to simultaneously BE a dick in one thread while in another thread (on the same topic...Whitecaps vs Bimbo FC) act like a sane, rational adult.
    It's a high-wire act and worthy of our praise!

If it pleases the mod I would like all references to Mr Dills dickish behaviour to be removed from the record and further I pledge to cease using the word "dick" to describe Mr Dill's dick-like behaviour in the future.

D ills
    I s
    C ool
    K ids
    !
    !
    !

10. JohnnyRanger

JohnnyRanger Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 30, 2008
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland

That's much better!

;)

11. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Applauding from a certain point of view.

I'd still like to know the "where" and "what" thread(s) you're referring to, something you seem to be avoiding, if it pleases the court.

12. Hippanonymous

Hippanonymous Member

Sep 4, 2009
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps

*sigh*

So you're really asking "where" and "what".....OK man, you got it.​

I present into evidence Exhibit A dick-ish behavior while discussing Whitecaps PU game....​

"yup too me it sounds like your just another crybaby whitecraps fan whose making shit up in an effort to boost you're own self-esteem because you came into our house played dirty and lost talk about an over-inflated sense of entitlement you twat eh?"​

Here's the page link, people can make up their own minds as to whether or not your response was dick-like.​

Exhibit B...sane, rational behaviour in this very thread.​

"For the record, Jack McInerney (#19) didn't actually touch the ball, even though from the angle of your pic it looks like it.​

Here's a highlight video pretty much right in line with the action from the bridge side of the stadium (Section 132 maybe?). From the 3:11 mark is the shot from Miglioranzi and subsequent play. I can't say I'm uber-familiar with the offsides rule, but at the point where the ball is deflected by a Whitecaps player, Le Toux is a step or 2 behind the defenders. Is he offsides at that moment, or is it considered the moment when Migz shoots the ball? :confused:"​

Not saying your dick-ish attitude is "wrong" per se, merely pointing out the interesting dichotomy between your behaviour in the two threads. Same topic, Whitecaps vs Bimbo FC (more specifically whether the goal was offside or not) yet two very different Dills.​

Hopefully we can move on now. If you were to belabour this any longer your name would surely have to be Richard, because you'd be acting like a real di....well, you know.​

13. Krammerhead

Krammerhead Guest

Wow, the clever, yet unoriginal, usage of "Whitecraps" combined with some of the worse spelling and grammar ever. Too funny.