2011-2012 Serie A campaign (R)

Discussion in 'Lazio' started by phillips10, Aug 27, 2010.

1. squadra_azzurri

squadra_azzurri Member+

Aug 10, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Another good season from Lazio and this time we beat the strong teams except the unstoppable Juve of course. We came 4-th-5th last season 4th this season, now I want 3rd this coming season.. that's of course unless Udinese screws Serie A even more in the coefficients and 3rd isnt good enough no more. Seriously, what an overachieving squad. Lega Calcio should just say 'uhhh no, your not fking up our league any more.' Pisses me right off, I wouldn't be so upset if it was Naps or Inter but Udinese.. common. The value of that team is no more than Atalanta's. They got 1 striker and 1 coach.

Anyways, I kind of thought Lazio would take this one, even when we were a goal down. Its funny how much of a force Lazio is when we focus but when a team plays catenaccio against us, were doomed.

Candreva has said he's happy to stay in Rome but it isn't his decision. Of course I can't feel too much remorse if he goes since he is a Merdista, but his qualities has helped Lazio through our difficult period of injuries. If he stays .. great, if not then I hope Tare replaces his adequately.

2. Taib

Taib Member+

Lazio
    Italy
    Sep 7, 2007
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Congratulations to Udinese. They got third place on merit. They deserved it.

As for our season, again we just missed out by slightest margin. From the half way point we just limped to the end. Not to be arrogant and taking nothing away from Udinese but I think if we did not have so many injuries we would have easily wrapped third place up. We only played our first choice defence in 5 of the 38 matches for example. Palermo away was the biggest example of what injuries did to us. The January mercato did not help us but we screwed that up ourselves. Also how rubbish must Napoli, Internazionale and Roma be when they finished below us even with us playing most of the season without a fully fit squad?

Obviously I hope we have a good summer mercato now and we sign some quality players. Ederson seems very close and the fact that he will a free transfer certainly helps. We are still going to be in the Europa League and have to balance that out with our League commitments.

First things first we are going to find a new coach since Reja has had his resignation finally accepted. He did a good job considering the circumstances even though he ws very unpopular because of the negative football that he played out. Zola or Di Matteo look to be top of the list so far. I hope for Di Matteo. A great guy and so far at Chelsea done a great job but more importantly someone the fans can relate with since he dis play for us.

3. Rob_420

Rob_420 Member

Jun 2, 2006
    Montreal
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    The match fixing probe is sweeping across Italy. Mauri was taken away by authorities ealier today. Talks of a 6 point deduction are being thrown around. It would hurt but we would only lose a place in the EL which isn't that damaging tbh. Hopefully that's the extent of it.

4. Samora

Samora Moderator
    Staff Member

Inter Milan
    United States
    Mar 27, 2008
    San Diego!
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    is it 6 points and no EL, or 6 points and EL considering you would tie with Roma at 56 with the better H2H? too bad someone in your team was involved considering udinese and napoli might also lose points/europe lazio could have been in CL, but I heard nothing is concrete as of yet

5. Rob_420

Rob_420 Member

Jun 2, 2006
    Montreal
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Good question. Though if there going to punish Lazio, you would think it would be removing them from the EL rather than deducting points and not changing anything with regards to the EL.

It's looking good for Inter Samora. They'll represent Serie A in the CL better than Udinese that's for sure.

6. Samora

Samora Moderator
    Staff Member

Inter Milan
    United States
    Mar 27, 2008
    San Diego!
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I see some smoke and little fire, yeah it would be great for Inter but it still tarnishes serie A

7. squadra_azzurri

squadra_azzurri Member+

Aug 10, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    How can Stefano Mauri fix a match? or any player for that matter. I thought Pierluigi Collina was supposed to straighten any dubious stuff out when he took charge of the refs.

I love how AS Merda are never questioned. Thats how you know Tomassi and the other Merdista's that run Lega Calcio are doing an excellent job. Noo, dont look into it when AS Merda were getting constant PK's which were ever so apparent no contact was even made on half their PK's and set a serie A record for most PK's in a season, but lets point fingers on Mauri and Criscito and such and such. Scumbags.

8. Taib

Taib Member+

Lazio
    Italy
    Sep 7, 2007
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    If Mauri was match fixing then why should Lazio have points docked? If Mauri is guilty then he should be banned for whatever time the judge implicates. Only Mauri should be banned not the the enitre club especially if the direcotrs are not implicated.

9. Il Ciuccio

Il Ciuccio Member+

Feb 17, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    The reason why the clubs get hurt as well is because they are supposed to be on top of the their players making sure they are not up to any shady business stuff that could reflect badly on the club.

10. Taib

Taib Member+

Lazio
    Italy
    Sep 7, 2007
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    That reasoning is completely illogical and stupid hence the reason the club has denied all responsibilty so far.

An example, when Jaap Stam was a Lazio player he was found guilty of of taking and using banned substances, he got banned for six months. Nothing happenned to the club.

11. Il Ciuccio

Il Ciuccio Member+

Feb 17, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I agree with you but that's their logic.

12. Samora

Samora Moderator
    Staff Member

Inter Milan
    United States
    Mar 27, 2008
    San Diego!
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think its more of a parent role, where the club is the parent taking blame for their kids and being responsible for their actions, yeah it doesn't make much sense with these professional athletes and really the player should be the sole responsible entity for his actions but I can see that the player's decision(in this case fixing games) affects not only the clubs involved(his and the opponent) but the league in terms of points and standings
    and even if the people in charge only punished the players/entities, the situation of "fairness' still looms and a decision has to be made about standings/points taken etc.
    of coarse this is just my point of view and I don't really know the full specifics about this situation

13. squadra_azzurri

squadra_azzurri Member+

Aug 10, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Jailing Mauri for accusing him of match-fixing is a joke. Being kept in a cell with no concrete facts, something thats not even tangibly apparent. Its not like hes being accused of a felony.

Mauri cannot wait to be presented before a judge according to his lawyer. His trial is 16:00 which is about 10 eastern.

14. Samora

Samora Moderator
    Staff Member

Inter Milan
    United States
    Mar 27, 2008
    San Diego!
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    guilty until proven innocent, pretty common system through out the world, not the best system but innocent until proven guilty sometimes has its own problems

15. Taib

Taib Member+

Lazio
    Italy
    Sep 7, 2007
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    In Italy they can keep a person in a cell if accused for months if need be. They do not need tangible evidence. That is nothing new.

I hope Mauri comes out of this clean and we can focus on more important things.

16. DDR

DDR Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Club:
    AS Roma
    With all due respect but how can you make that statement? Obviously they have a fair amount of evidence otherwise he wouldn't be in jail. There are players and coaches being investigated that were not arrested (like Conte) because the evidence is not strong enough. And others that were arrested because there was overwhelming evidence.

Unless you want to tell me the system is out to get Mauri, for I don't know what reason.

17. squadra_azzurri

squadra_azzurri Member+

Aug 10, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I don't see what I said is an absurd statement. Your jailing somebody for an accusation and no proof. Its betting, its not like hes a mass murderer who would cut his hair put on a moustache and go to a developing country. You know where to find him at home with family who I'm sure have been humiliated by now for nothing that is set in stone yet.

Now the story is he went through a friend to bet on Tennis and Basketball which is not illegal. It does seem like Mauri & co. are beating around the bush with the law, but he is innocent until proven guilty.

Daje Mauri. Io credo

juventino13 repped this.
  18. DDR

DDR Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Club:
    AS Roma
    How can you possibly be in the position to say that? The prosecutors meet with Mauri over a month ago. They also meet with other players. They decided to arrest and charge him. Other players (including Lazio players) they have not charged. Right or wrong they obviously must feel that they have enough evidence to make a compelling case. Otherwise he would not be jail like other people that were suspect.

19. squadra_azzurri

squadra_azzurri Member+

Aug 10, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    All that is confirmed is Mauri did bet, but not in Serie A. They're are proofs of bets, but not from Mauri as now it can easily be thought Mauri could have bet on calcio under another name. That doubt and further investigation means there is nothing definitive that Mauri bet on serie a to answer your question. Mauri and his lawyer are confident in their case so who's to say who's right or wrong at this point.

In all honesty ddr, im sick of neutral minded people looking at this Calcioscommesse as if Mauri is already guilty. Mauri is a big name in Serie A, and journalism is eating this up right now. I'm not saying Mauri IS innocent, but im waiting to see the outcome in a realist point of view on this case.

20. DDR

DDR Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Club:
    AS Roma
    I never said he's guilty, please don't get me wrong. That was never my intention. I believe he will get his time in trial and then the facts will come out.

My intention was simply to say that if he's in jail and if the prosecutors are moving forward they must feel that they have some evidence, perhaps unknown to us, to make their case. Rather then this attitude that he's unjustly being persecuted. Brocchi was also interviewed by the prosecutors however he was not arrested. So right or wrong, they much feel that they have something on Mauri. More so than others.

21. squadra_azzurri

squadra_azzurri Member+

Aug 10, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Agreed then. Thats better.

But still, how can you jail someone out of a precaution and say thats just. Seriously? He didn't commit a felony, its an assumption of betting. Thats where we must differ then.

22. DDR

DDR Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Club:
    AS Roma
    All the people being charged have been arrested. Nothing is out of the ordinary, everything is in accordance with Italian law.

23. squadra_azzurri

squadra_azzurri Member+

Aug 10, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

Right, which is crazy in my opinion.

'What are you in for?'
    'I deliberately ran over my divorcee, you?'
    'I bet on tennis'

/\ If Mauri is telling the truth. Hopefully they serve a kick ass dish of Penne for Mauri.

24. Taib

Taib Member+

Lazio
    Italy
    Sep 7, 2007
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    So, Petkovic is Lazio manager, a decision that seems very illogical to me.

Firstly because he has no previos expierience in Serie A or Italian football even.

Secondly, because there were other managers that were available such as Di Matteo and Zola, who are far more suited for the role and can acclimitise more quickly.

This is very risky appointment which could define our entire season and destroy the previous work from Reja. I hope not but it is a big possibility.

25. squadra_azzurri

squadra_azzurri Member+

Aug 10, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I did not watch much of Chelsea with Di Matteo in charge, but judging from they Bayern Munich game Di Matteo had it set he wanted coutner attacking football. Perhaps Bayern was that much superior than Chelsea in terms of quality, but it was not reassuring gameplay. Still I would have loved to see Di Matteo with us as he was also a Laziale but I think Lotito wanted to try something different.

Zola seems like a wussy, and you cannot be a wussy with Lotito. Reja fumed out on Lotito after that poor mercato.

Petkovic is being perceived as a tactical yet attacking tactician. He even went as far as highering another assistant for other match analysis' to help him understand each team in the league. He enjoys a 3-4-3 system which would work wonders for Senad Lulic and Konko if they were the wide wingers. Hernanes and probably Ederson/Candreva/Mauri feeding Klose is the idea once they start training after vacations.

This is an interesting idea, attacking football but hopefully he doesn't have his head up his ass like Luis Enrique and thinks he can play like Barcelona with a huge talent difference in Serie A. Its a bit scary to have an unknown with an irregular style of play, but I am willing to wait and see what he can do over a course of a season.