2010 World Cup Ticketing

Discussion in 'World Cup 2010: Fans & Travel' started by spottedeagle, Dec 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spottedeagle

spottedeagle New Member

Dec 8, 2007
    Just how does someone go about purchasing a ticket for a world cup match. I've looked it up online, but Ill I seem to find is confusing information. Plus, If its a lottery system, how do I know I have a ticket for the team I want to watch? For instance suppose I purchased a ticket before the final groupings and match fixtures are known, and I want to watch the USA play, but when fifa organizes the match schedule, they assign some other team... How can I be garanteed a ticket to the team I want to watch?

2. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    You need to buy a follow my team ticket for multiple games. At the first stage of ticketing it is not possible to buy a single ticket to watch a specific team.

3. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    To guarantee entry to the lottery for single-match tickets, I believe you have to apply in Feb. of 2009 (as ridiculous as that may sound)!

But yeah, you're going into the lottery partially blind. Either you apply for a "follow-my-team" ticket, but won't know what cities you'll be going to until December and so you may have to travel all over a huge country. OR you can pick the city and date now but then you won't know what teams you'll see.

I guess it has to be like this though otherwise too many people will apply for Argentina v France in Cape Town. :p

4. IASocFan

IASocFan Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2000
    IOWA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Check out the fifa website - Ticket categories and prices.

Tickets will go on sale in several phases, starting around the beginning of February 2009. As in the past, tickets that are not be bought by various stakeholders such as FIFA member associations will subsequently be put on sale to the general public.

I suggest monitoring the fifa site - particularly close to Feb. 1, 2009.

5. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    If its the same as last time then you can purchase team specific tickets, but if the team you pick doesn't qualify then you miss out. You will also not know which cities you will be visiting until the draw. If you purchase tickets for a venue or date you will not know who you will be watching, but you will be able to start planning transport and accomodation. If you wait until the draw you will know who you are watching, but tickets are much harder to get from FIFA then as the demand is very high. You could also buy tickets from the Association in your country (this is how I got mine for Germany) but demand is usually very high and in some countries you've got no chance unless you know someone. If you want a guarantee to getting a ticket to the team you want to watch, there isn't one.

6. Rig1964

Rig1964 Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Nottingham
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    If you buy single match tickets you can't.

Then Italy fans end up with Holland tickets, Holland fans end up with Brazil tickets, Brazil fans end up with USA tickets, USA fans end up with England tickets, England fans end up with Australia tickets, Australia fans end up with etc, etc.

Then the organasers will get upset when people start swapping tickets or selling and buying them on ebay.

7. spottedeagle

spottedeagle New Member

Dec 8, 2007
    How do I aquire one of these "follow-my-team" tickets and is it a separate process from that of individual match tickets through the lottery system? What stage are the "follow-my-team" tickets given out?

8. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    They are available (or at least have been in the past) at the initial stage (so Feb 2009).

You can apply for either a number of match tickets or a follow my team ticket in the lottery, not both.

9. cubby03

cubby03 New Member

Dec 14, 2008
    Wisconsin
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Thanks for the information. Me and my girlfriend are planning a WC 10 trip, and I was wondering how I could get tickets to see Italy and the US. New to the forums, lots of good discussion here.

10. samfairweather

samfairweather New Member

Dec 27, 2008
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    thanks for the great info guys. really helped. does anyone know if there is a restriction to the number of tickets purchased.

11. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    Almost certainly yes. In 2006 the maximum was 4 tickets per game, and a total of 7 games that you could attend.

12. hard_to_beat

hard_to_beat New Member

Feb 12, 2007
    Welcome to the crazy world that is FIFA. Be sure to say hello to Jack Warner... they'll kick you out if not.

13. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I really think tickets for individual games will be much easier to get hold of than for world cups such as the one in Germany. You will not have 100,000+ fans going over from many countries on the off-chance. You quite probably won't have 90% of ticket applications from the host country either.

South Africa is not going to be a cheap country to get to, and that will also put a lot of people off. I don't expect every game to sell out. They didn't even quite manage that in 2006 (touts with spares for Iran v Angola really earned their money that day) but I expect a lot more similar crowds for some of the group matches.

Of course FIFA know such games have a limited appeal, which is one reason why tickets go on sale prior to the draw. H3 v H4 in Munich, with that element of mystery, somehow seemed a little more exotic and appealing than Tunisia v Saudi Arabia, as it turned out to be. It allows them to capture both the fan who'd be put off a fixture knowing the draw as well as the fan who wants to follow those teams.

You also need to look into the logistics of it all, as getting around could be something of a problem, with travel being the most difficult since USA '94, probably more so in fact.

http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/tournament/preliminarydraw/64/42/24/2010fwc_matchschedule_1103.pdf

The fixture guide could help. I've actually been able to pencil in something of an itinery. There are three cities which are hosting 3 games in 6 days over the first phase, which could be useful if you don't want to spend all your time travelling.

14. Beazley17

Beazley17 Member

Dec 30, 2006
    South Florida
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    About the lottery, I could get tickets to all 3 USA matches, just not know where they are playing until the draw, correct?

15. RichardL

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    It really depends how the lottery works.

Last time out you could go for specific games, but without knowing who was playing (e.g. A1 v A4 in Berlin etc) or go for a team specific ticket, where you'd apply for 3/4/5/6 or 7 games following your specified team. You could do one or the other, but not both, as I recall.

Obviously, if you applied for a team ticket, you wouldn't know where they'd be playing as the draw hadn't been made.

I would guess it will be similar this year. If you can start applying in February 2009 then clearly there'll be a pre-draw phase.

16. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    And who would want to spend a whole week in Johannesburg? Not too many. I have a feeling the matches in Cape Town, Durban and Port Elizabeth will have high demand, but the other venues might be easier to get tickets for.

The good news is that if you do get stuck with tickets to games in Johannesburg its fairly easy to go from there to Kruger Park (if you don't mind being out in the wild during the World Cup). Note most of the parks in South Africa are just glorified zoos, but Kruger Park is the actual wild (the animals are not contained in any way) and definitely worth visiting.

17. RichardL

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    The advantage in being based around Johannesburg would be that there would be a lot of venues within reasonable travelling distance that could be done as day trips. Unless you enjoy flying, and even then assuming you can get flights, that's not an option for those coastal cities.

I can't find a decent link to train services in the country, but buses do look a pretty cheap option.

18. Beazley17

Beazley17 Member

Dec 30, 2006
    South Florida
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Thats where the huge scene happened, with the Buffalo, Lions, and Crocodiles that was caught on tape, and has like 40 million views, lol.

19. paips

paips Member

Apr 2, 2006
    Mexico
    Feb 1 is the opening day for ticket sales!
    SLEEPER where are you ????

20. RichardL

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Wasn't "SLEEPER" concerned with scripts that would allow you to apply for tickets without sitting pressing F5 until you finger lost half of its length?

That shouldn't be an issue with this first phase, as (I would imagine) it'll be a lottery rather than individual tickets popping up on a first-come first-served basis.

21. shauniemaloney13

shauniemaloney13 New Member

Sep 20, 2008
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    If this world cup was in europe I would do the follow my team thing but south africa just dosent seem like a place I would really want to go to. And its a shame cause Ireland have a really good chance of making it this time!!

22. Beazley17

Beazley17 Member

Dec 30, 2006
    South Florida
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Where do you do this? On Fifa.com?

23. Rig1964

Rig1964 Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Nottingham
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
  24. leohoenig

leohoenig Member

Jan 9, 2009
    Shipton
    Club:
    Cheltenham Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    All the comments above are based on the last pair of world cups. FIFA seem to be keeping quiet about the rules. In fact, for Korea, I bought a follow a team ticket for Turkey and some other tickets, up to the maximum number of tickets allowed. I was allowed more tickets that way. This was not permitted in Germany.

It was also true that for Korea, there were a lot of tickets available, and I did not bid at all on the first pass of sales, but after the draw was made. For Germany, I bid for tickets at the first stage, and managed some from the draw, but not all I applied for. With Germany being close to home this was not a problem, but it could be in S Africa. I managed some extra tickets later, which involved continuously attempting to access an oversubscribed site.

I also bid for some in the 2008 Euros and got none at all.

Not certain what I will do next month.

I am expecting a window of at least a month to decide. I will probably ignore the whole thing if it appears tickets are over subscribed again - as if I go I would want to visit the majority of stadiums and be in control of my intinerary.

25. Beazley17

Beazley17 Member

Dec 30, 2006
    South Florida
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Okay, I am planning on going to South Africa, and at least seeing the USA first three group stage matches, what do I do?