2010 WCQ: Group A: US-T&T-Cub-Gua [r]

Discussion in 'CONCACAF' started by MoRado, Jun 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. midknight

midknight New Member

Sep 5, 2005
    Paris
    Re: 2010 WCQ: Group A: US-T&T-Cub-Gua

Both Dwight Yorke and Russell Latapy are still playing, and at the highest level of respectively English and Scottish football. At their age that is a testimony to their sheer quality. Granted, Dwight isn't good enough to make it into the Sunderland first team in front of younger, fitter players, but he's still part of the coach's plans.
    Whether its an indictment of T&T's footballing future or not is of no concern to you, unless you're counting on giving up already and trying to beat us in 2013 qualifiers, because as of now, only one team is going to go through, and it will be the team that is better on the 11th of October, and to some extent on the 15th.

Stern John might be past his prime, but he was good enough as recently as April to pull off two clutch goals for Southampton (and cap off a 20 goal season) to save them from relegation, and we're talking about a team that almost got relegated here.

Guatefc, I'll leave you in your delusion that Yorke and Latapy are the engines of our team. If your staff thinks alike it'll make it all that easier for us to score at least one more time on you in this round.

2. El Tanque Pezzarossi

Oct 19, 2005
    Canada

Ok first of all nobody said anything about giving up and talking about the 2014 World Cup already. Most likely the winner of this game or for that matter if there even is a winner also would go through on the Oct 15 game and the finish line in November. I can see that Dwight Yorke,Stern John and Russell Latapy are still playing in the UK but I don't agree that they're that good anymore man, Sometime just got to let it go and go with new that T&T has. Even T&T coach said Stern John wasn't in his plans anymore. Now with these call ups signs of desperation calling these guys.

3. Trin

Trin Member

Sep 6, 2005
    pa

If Ruiz is in your coache's plans then Stern should be in ours. The coach has made some foolish statements. Now I agree that recalling these players does seem desparate (esp. Latapy) but u have to realize that they will be providing more of the mentor/cameo role to the younger players, a role which they should have played from the start, helping them mature. It might be too late now, we shall see.

4. ZeekLTK

ZeekLTK Member

Mar 5, 2004
    Michigan
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway

Yeah but that's a little harder to look at. With the 3 and 1 points it's easier to tell how the teams are relative to each other.

The real standings are:

9 United States
    4 Trinidad & Tobago
    4 Guatemala
    0 Cuba

9 Mexico
    6 Honduras
    1 Canada
    1 Jamaica

9 Costa Rica
    6 El Salvador
    1 Haiti
    1 Suriname

---

Expected Points:

GROUP A
    +4 United States
    -1 Trinidad & Tobago
    -3 Guatemala
    -7 Cuba

GROUP B
    +1 Honduras
    +0 Mexico
    -2 Jamaica
    -6 Canada

GROUP C
    +2 Costa Rica
    +1 El Salvador
    -4 Suriname
    -6 Haiti

----

Just taking a quick glance at that you can deduce:

Trinidad & Tobago is in a (slightly) better position than Guatemala, despite being tied on points (indicating that T&T has an 'easier' remaining schedule [more home games at least]).

Canada is in such a huge hole, comparatively, that it is unlikely they'll be a threat now. Meanwhile Jamaica, despite having the same amount of points, still has a decent chance of catching up. Also, Mexico's lead isn't as big as it appears [since they've only played at home, if they have trouble on the road they could easily lose the top spot]).

Costa Rica and El Salvador have virtually locked their places into the next round.

You can somewhat draw the same conclusions from yours, except it's a little harder to take in by just glancing at it, due to all the decimals.

Plus, in the 3-1, 12 points is expected. If you are at 0 it means you are on pace to qualify (it's very unlikely, if not impossible, for TWO other teams to have more than 12 points if YOU have 12 points), if you are + it means you are ahead of pace to qualify, and if you are at - it means you've fallen behind. In yours, if Mexico gets to 12 points they will be at +3.41. If they only get 9 points, possibly falling short of qualifying, they'll still be +0.41. In the 3-1 system, with 12 points they will just be at +0, indicating they did just enough, no more, but no less. And with 9 points they will be at -3, indicating that they may have come up short.

5. El Tanque Pezzarossi

Oct 19, 2005
    Canada

No Guatemala is in 2nd place due to more goals being scored and less against. If you know your futbol it's pretty basic man. go to www.fifa.com and check it out.

6. Warlord

Warlord New Member

Jun 8, 2005
    District of Columbia

7. Warlord

Warlord New Member

Jun 8, 2005
    District of Columbia

If they're still in the UK playing football at 36 and 38 yrs old, that is testament to the fact that they still have something to offer and that clearly some managers noticed that. That makes your logic as ludicrous as your thinly veiled logic that their call up is an act of desperation. You sound alot more concerned about their call up and what they can do to Guate more anything else. ;)

8. El Tanque Pezzarossi

Oct 19, 2005
    Canada

Ok man first of all I am not concerned about T&T at all all I said was since it's basically the end of this phase they get all their old players to come and play for T&T all I said. Maybe 3 years ago I felt that way but not now, I've seen them play through out this qualification phase and really didnt' see anything special out of T&T was even surprised when Trinidad almost got knocked out by Bermuda. Also at the game present was Stern John and Dwight Yorke I believe so realistically Guatemala should have his game playing at home just like T&T had it at home in 2005 and wonI believe Guatemala can do the same and eliminate them this time around. ;)

9. Warlord

Warlord New Member

Jun 8, 2005
    District of Columbia

Why mention it if it doesnt concern you? I think everyone already knows that theyre aged players but clearly you felt the need to mention their call ups by the TTFF so I think youre more concerned than you'd like us to think.:eek:

In any event, its all psychological now. The core of your team today is what represented Guate in 2005 with the exception of a few players. We all know how Latapy destroyed your best defender last time and he may do it again. So did Stern John. The thing id be worried about if I were you were the mental scars from that match and the fact that down the stretch Guate failed to win " must win" games while the warriors did the business.;)

10. El Tanque Pezzarossi

Oct 19, 2005
    Canada

What now I can't talk about this team? or even mention them? you guys aren't the best in the world so don't flatter you self, and nope I am not concerned over T&T just because I said a few players names:confused: Before they weren't called up is what I said and now they are all I said man. Also yeah Latapy went throught Cabrera but who knows he might not even get to play. I don't recall last time T&T won in Guatemala.

11. lguti9

lguti9 Member

Aug 5, 2008
    virginia
    Club:
    CSD Comunicaciones
    Nat'l Team:
    Guatemala

This is how i see it, Guate will get the 3 points. We got Pappa and Ruiz and Pezarossi ready to play, that should tell u how bad they want to win this game. Contreras will be arriving monday from Arsenal de Sarandi, Argentina.

12. Warlord

Warlord New Member

Jun 8, 2005
    District of Columbia

No one said the warriors are the best in the world but you seem to have an issue with the callups by TTFF. So what if they werent called up before? Thats there problem and not yours. The most important thing for you should be what Guate is doing in terms of preparation for the game. No one over the warriornation site or socawarriors.net are concerned with who Guatemala has called up for the match. Whether Cabrera plays or not, the warriors know what they need to do to advance. T&T has won at Guate before in WCQ at the Mateo Flores stadium.

13. Warlord

Warlord New Member

Jun 8, 2005
    District of Columbia

We'll know in the next week who will get the 3 pts. Ruiz is a shell of the player he once was and he has never carried Guatemala in WCQ. That is Guate's biggest scoring threat. Stern John has carried this team on his back in the past and his goal to games ratio is very good on the international front. Im pretty sure he'll score at least one goal if not two in Guatemala on matchday 4.

14. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/news/newsid=898777.html#moment+truth+chapines

FIFA wrote an article called "Moment of truth for Chapines"

I would think Guatemala would want the United States to lose to Cuba on Matchday 4 so that Guatemala could beat Trinidad and Tobago without the United States clinching advancement because it would be good for Guatemala if the United States had something to play for Matchday 5 at Trinidad and Tobago and used better players that game than in the United States's Matchday 6 game hosting Guatemala.

15. lguti9

lguti9 Member

Aug 5, 2008
    virginia
    Club:
    CSD Comunicaciones
    Nat'l Team:
    Guatemala

Well Evan, right now Guate is worry bout is winning at el Mateo. We already know USA is going to beat Cuba, specially if Cuba is playing in DC. You know most of the Cuban players are not going to show up at the stadium. So all Guate is worry right now is beating T&T

16. SocaWarrior23

SocaWarrior23 Member

Jun 7, 2007
    College Park MD

Thats right just concentrate on the team in front of you. I wont do any talking the game is only 5 days away well see how it turns out. If im correct both teams have full strength squads (ex kenwyne jones) so well see who really is the best team in the end. We could win , we could lose, we could draw, but all i wanna say to the Guate fans is if you dont win, please dont give Jack the credit because there are alot of skilled players that will be playing your heart out on the field on Saturday.

GO WARRIORS!

17. lguti9

lguti9 Member

Aug 5, 2008
    virginia
    Club:
    CSD Comunicaciones
    Nat'l Team:
    Guatemala

Hey SOca, dont worry we wont make no excuses, if we loose u will me here saying that T&T won good, but if T&T looses please dont make no excuses like US fans that the lights, that the field, the fans were to rowdy. We both know that Guatemalans n Trinis will give us a good show on the 11th. Good luck to the Reggae Boys too :cool:

18. jfcule

jfcule Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 4, 2005
    Club:
    FC Barcelona

That lights excuse is weak. I was at that game, and the lighting was fine. I'll post untouched photos to prove it.

19. lguti9

lguti9 Member

Aug 5, 2008
    virginia
    Club:
    CSD Comunicaciones
    Nat'l Team:
    Guatemala

I have faith in my Guate, im sure they will give the fans one hell of a game. VIVA GUATE!!!:cool:

20. Warlord

Warlord New Member

Jun 8, 2005
    District of Columbia

I watched the USA/Guate game and the lighting was very poor for footballing standards. At least the TV footage showed that. The USA still won though.

21. Warlord

Warlord New Member

Jun 8, 2005
    District of Columbia

Im backing Stern John to score at least one goal on Saturday in Guate's building. This guy likes to score multiple goals against Central and South American opponents.

He singlehandedly destroyed Honduras' dreams of an appearance in South Korea/Japan in '02 and then did it to Guatemala in '05.;)

22. socluis90

socluis90 Member+

Aug 11, 2004
    So Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

i was at the game also, lighting was fine. maybe not for tv but for the players it was great....

23. Guicho

Guicho New Member

Oct 27, 2007
    CREMAS

He singled handly beat Honduras in 02.... jejeje wake up Warlord its almost 2009.

My trinitarian tobagan friends, one of my coworkers is from Trinidad and we have fun over this sort of rivalry that has developed between us...soccer related rivalry of course....but she is having a baby....does any of you know where I can purchase some kind of Trinidad & Tobago gift for her new child to come.... any websites or anything like that.....I live in San Francisco area and there are not that many of you out here.

24. Warlord

Warlord New Member

Jun 8, 2005
    District of Columbia

25. Guicho

Guicho New Member

Oct 27, 2007
    CREMAS

I know what he did but that was 7 years ago.....whats up with my question? you have info or what?