2010 WCQ: Group A: US-T&T-Cub-Gua [r]

Discussion in 'CONCACAF' started by MoRado, Jun 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Guicho

Guicho New Member

Oct 27, 2007
    CREMAS
    Re: 2010 WCQ: Group A: US-T&T-Cub-Gua

Thanks for the Link.

2. ZeekLTK

ZeekLTK Member

Mar 5, 2004
    Michigan
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway

Did some posts get deleted or were you guys saying my "expected points" thing was off-topic? :confused:

3. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Some posts were moved to the topic entitled "News: Racial Slurs at WCQ?" Your expected points is relevant. In The Hexagonal for World Cup 2006, 30 games were played and 86 points were obtained. The home teams obtained 64 points and the road teams obtained 22 points. That leads to point expectations to the nearest hundredth of 2.13 for home teams and 0.73 for road teams. Based on those expectations here are each team's differential to the nearest hundredth:

United States: 5.4
    Trinidad and Tobago: 0.4
    Guatemala: -1
    Cuba: -5

Mexico: 2.6
    Honduras: 2.4
    Jamaica: -1.2
    Canada: -4

Costa Rica: 4
    El Salvador: 2.4
    Suriname: -2.6
    Haiti: -4

I like my expectations because each group adds up to -0.2 (near 0) as opposed to -7.

4. chec

chec Member

Feb 9, 2005
    Toronto
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Trinidad and Tobago

T&T recalls 40 year old Latapy to face Guatemala in October :eek:

5. LN - Dougg

LN - Dougg Member

Aug 26, 2004
    Dale City, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador

Is he a keeper?

6. MoRado

MoRado New Member

Feb 6, 2004
    San José. Costa Rica
    Club:
    Deportivo Saprissa
    Nat'l Team:
    Costa Rica
  7. Warlord

Warlord New Member

Jun 8, 2005
    District of Columbia

As far as i understand he will be an assistant to the technical director from what I read.

8. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. lguti9

lguti9 Member

Aug 5, 2008
    virginia
    Club:
    CSD Comunicaciones
    Nat'l Team:
    Guatemala

i doubt that Cuba will get 4 points, you have Guate and T&T fighting for a second spot.

10. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

If you read the link you will find out that Cuba's coach was saying they deserved 4 points from the games already played, not predicting that Cuba would get 4 points from the remaining games.

11. Warlord

Warlord New Member

Jun 8, 2005
    District of Columbia

Guatemala just got some bad news for the upcoming WCQ. The warriors have named their strongest squad so far this campaign. Recalled to the team is Stern John, Yorke, and Latapy who scored the goals that eliminated them last time around. ;)

National Senior Team head coach Francisco Maturana has finalized a 22-man squad for this country’s upcoming two World Cup Qualifying matches against Guatemala on October 11 in Guatemala City and United States at the Hasely Crawford Stadium four days later. And included in the list are recalled Southampton striker Stern John and Coventry City midfielder Chris Birchall as well as Scottish-based St Johnstone winger Collin Samuel and Walsall goalkeeper Clayton Ince.

The upcoming encounters, which will be preceded by a friendly international against Dominican Republic at the Hasely Crawford Stadium on October 8, will also see the duo of Russell Latapy and Dwight Yorke in the team. Latapy was this week appointed as player/coach and has been named in the 22-man roster. ‘Latas’ along with all the other overseas-based players will join the home-based players in a live-in camp at the Crowne Plaza Hotel on October 6 prior to the match against the Dominican Republic.

The rest of the squad for the two includes Sunderland winger Carlos Edwards, Cornell Glen, Khaleem Hyland, Julius James, Avery John, Andre Toussaint and Darryl Roberts among others. Midfielder Aurtis Whitley and Sunderland striker Kenwyne Jones have not been included as both players are still somewhat off full recoveries from their respective injuries.

The T&T team will depart for Guatemala City on October 9, spend one day there before the match on October 11. The players and coaching staff will return to Port of Spain immediately following the match on a charter flight.

TTFF Special Advisor Jack Warner announced that His Excellency President George Maxwell Richards has accepted an invitation to travel to Guatemala City on the charter along with 120 fans to witness the encounter. That flight arrives there on the eve of the match.

“We can confirm that the selected players will be in the team for the upcoming matches. As a matter of fact the entire squad will be here from October 6 to settle together, play the game against Dominican Republic and then head off to Guatemala City. It was felt that the best option was to remain here and have the team prepare for the game and then go to Guatemala no more than a day or two before the match itself,” Warner told TTFF Media on Tuesday.

“We have also arranged for the charter which will carry the President of the Republic as well as the TTFF President Oliver Camps and a group of fans to witness the game and then return with the team that same night,” added Warner who will arrive in Guatemala from Nigeria where he is scheduled to head a FIFA inspection visit in relation to the 2009 FIFA Under 17 World Championship.

The match officials for T&T vs Guatemala are as follows: Referee – Mauricio Navarro (Canada), Assistant 1 - Hector Vergara (Canada) and Assistant 2 – Darren Clark (Canada). The match commissioner is Dave Fredericks from the Cayman Islands and Jamaican Peter Prenderast is the referee assessor. For the T&T/USA match, Costa Rican Walter Quesada is the match referee with Honduras’ Roberto Giron and Costa Rica’s Oswaldo Luna to serve as the assistants.

The T&T/Guatemala encounter will also be aired live on CNMG Channel 6 as well as on Radio 105 FM and I95.5FM
    In related news, in their latest attempt to secure the full time services of Hyland, Portsmouth are sending him to Belgian 'partner club' S.V. Zulte Waregem while he waits for a work permit.

The 19-year-old will travel to Belgium on Wednesday and is expected to play there until he obtains the proper documentation to allow him to play professionally in England. The highly-rated youngster needs to be playing and Pompey hope he can settle in Belgium and have his case reviewed at the end of the season, one report stated on Sunday.

T&T 22-man Squad

Goalkeepers

Clayton Ince (Walsall, Eng), Marvin Phillip (W Connection, Tri)

Defenders

Dennis Lawrence (Swansea City, Eng), Avery John (Miami FC, USA), Keyeno Thomas (Joe Public, Tri), Cyd Gray (Clico San Juan Jabloteh, Tri), Makan Hislop (United Petrotrin, Tri), Aklie Edwards (Defence Force, Tri), Julius James (Toronto FC, Canada).

Midfielders

Dwight Yorke (Sunderland, Eng) Clyde Leon (W Connection, Tri), Russell Latapy (Falkirk, Scotland), Keon Daniel (United Petrotrin, Tri), Christpher Birchall (Coventry City, Eng), Khaleem Hyland (S.V. Zulte Waregem, Belgium), Carlos Edwards (Sunderland, Eng) Anthony Wolfe (North East Stars, Tri), Collin Samuel (St Johnstone, Scotland).

Forwards

Andre Toussaint (W Connection, Tri), Cornell Glen (Clico San Juan Jabloteh, Tri), Stern John (Southampton, Eng), Darryl Roberts (Denizlispor Kulubu, Turkey).

12. socluis90

socluis90 Member+

Aug 11, 2004
    So Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I might try to make it out to the game if possible. I will boo the trinijacks to death jajajaa

13. Guatefc

Guatefc New Member

Jun 1, 2005
    Washington DC
    Nat'l Team:
    Guatemala

i see this working three years ago :D. Guatemala have a much more talented Mid and Defense then 3 years ago. TT making it predictable with these desperate selections. Guatemala will not forgive.. 27,000 Guatemalans in Mateo Flores will not forgive.

Maradiaga is Familiar with the team that Knocked him & Guate out.. this time they have shite coach behind it.. I still respect TT, But they will not own Guatemala in Guatemala. We may have lost to the USA, but we played alot better then they did, and i see them as a much superior opponent to TT anyday.

I see Contreras and Pando cuttin down TT in the MID, our Back line much more physical then before and skilled, only way they can cut us down is from long range.

Guatemala have been doing their Homework, we know what we expecting

We're keeping quite.

14. MoRado

MoRado New Member

Feb 6, 2004
    San José. Costa Rica
    Club:
    Deportivo Saprissa
    Nat'l Team:
    Costa Rica

i give Guatemala better odds to win now since they are younger

Warlord and everybody: Please dont post entire articles, give credit to the authors, post links, a small intro is OK, but please dont post the entire article

15. lguti9

lguti9 Member

Aug 5, 2008
    virginia
    Club:
    CSD Comunicaciones
    Nat'l Team:
    Guatemala

I dont know Warlord, Guate has everything in their side, they playing at home, and u know fans are going to cheer from the first minute to the end. We coming from a big win against Cuba. So confidence is high. We will have Cabrera back, that will bring more speed to the wings. Guate will have no mercy trust me :cool:

16. Warlord

Warlord New Member

Jun 8, 2005
    District of Columbia

17. Warlord

Warlord New Member

Jun 8, 2005
    District of Columbia

As I said before, the core of Guate's team is the same as the one in 2005. It will be bitter memories for those players who will obviously have something to prove. The warriors will be motivated to win not only because it would be a big boost but also because of the heavy loss last time around. Regardless of who wins its going to be a great game.:cool:

18. Michele

Michele Member

Mar 18, 2008
    Copenhagen

I don't know why Guatemala's players will have bitter memories of that 5-1 win from last time. Sure, Trinidad ended up above them in the table, but that was due to results against the other four teams; not the head-to-head games. And this time around, Guatemala has actually done better by getting a point in Trinidad, so I'm not quite sure why they would fear Trinidad playing at home.

As for Trinidad's squad, it seems to me that they really really need players between the age of 25 and 30. It seems like they have a lot of young talents at around 20 and a lot of (formerly) good players who are mostly well into their 30's. A few from each group coupled with a core of players in their late 20's could be a great combination, but when the whole team more or less has to be filled with talents and veterans, I see some obvious weak spots. For instance, I think that three of the starting defenders are 33 or more, which gives them some obvious advantages in experience and reading the game. But old legs are rarely as quick as young legs and I could see them having BIG problems if Guatemala uses a quick game along the ground; Lawrence has never been a speedster and I don't think the others can compensate for his lack of speed, being at the same age.

19. lguti9

lguti9 Member

Aug 5, 2008
    virginia
    Club:
    CSD Comunicaciones
    Nat'l Team:
    Guatemala

well put Michelle :D
    u're welcome in the Guatemalan thread any time ;)

As i said before Warlord, Guate has a score to settle and trust me, this will be Guate's best game. They're going to play if this is their last game.

20. Warlord

Warlord New Member

Jun 8, 2005
    District of Columbia

Thats a great point made here and yes Lawrence, Avery John, Cyd Gray are older but no disrespect to Guatemala but theyre not Mexico or USA. In the game in Port of Spain they hardly troubled the back four. In other words, they defenders were not under the pressure for the most part. T&T outplayed Guatemala in that game. Ruiz was a non factor and so was their midfield. Of course Guate may play alot different at Mateo stadium and who knows but im just going on what i saw in that recent game. They didnt look troubling. In any event both teams will be up for it and it will be a great game. Im certainly looking forward to it.:cool:

21. Warlord

Warlord New Member

Jun 8, 2005
    District of Columbia

Not disputing that fact but it wont be an easy game. Both teams know the importance of it so they both will go for the win. The team that walks away with 3 pts will be the one that was better prepared mentally and psychologically.

22. lguti9

lguti9 Member

Aug 5, 2008
    virginia
    Club:
    CSD Comunicaciones
    Nat'l Team:
    Guatemala

I totally agree with you on that one Warlord. I think Ruiz wont be available for this one since he has that knee injury, great opportunity for Johnny Brown to prove himself :cool:

23. El Tanque Pezzarossi

Oct 19, 2005
    Canada

Toronto FC coach John Carver hopes that Carlos Ruiz and Julius James will be fit enough to return to full training by the end of the week. Ruiz missed Saturday's clash against Houston Dynamo with a knee injury whilst James had a hamstring strain.
    "Carlos is day to day," said Carver. "He is getting better all the time and hopefully he will be able to join in training towards the end of the week. He's very close to being back. Julius did some training this morning. I don't think he will play in the reserve game on Tuesday morning but we will assess him by the end of the week. If those guys aren't available for us on Saturday, they won't be going away on international duty."

As of right now it's a 50/50 chance because he is day to day so we can't really say, he is making improvements so hopefully he can return this saturday then be let go on international duty with Guatemala. Oh btw haha been awhile since I've been on here but yeah back to topic hope Guatemala beats T &T now with the youth they have and beat the old T&T with everyone barely making it on the Trinidad squad only because they're desperate I don't think Stern John will be a factor as much anymore.

24. Guatefc

Guatefc New Member

Jun 1, 2005
    Washington DC
    Nat'l Team:
    Guatemala

on the contrary
    i think stern will be there hope , he scored a nice goal in the FA cup not to long ago. His Mobility is no concern, his key to winning is loosing tract of him and slipping into open positions.

who i would be disappointed about and would be ashamed of is calling Yorke and Latapy, that just embarrassing , that is a testament to what there future has. there engines are an average of 38 years old!

Compare to Jose Contreras and Pappa have an age average of 21 both with a touch of class playing abroad in Argentina and MLS veterans Guillermo Pando Ramirez who will be likely assigned to cover Latapy or Yorke.

Birchal had an easy task in 2005 covering plays by G,Romero, but i think it will be different breaking Plays in Guatemala city Versus a quicker tandem.

i think like the USA, TT will be presently surprised once again, they think in the last 3 years nothing has changed, but were are deficiency where 3 years ago , does don't exist anymore,

no predictions as usual , but the ingredients for this Game will be advantage Guatemala.
    Guatemala remembers and are more then driven and motivated to to bring TT down, especially at home.

25. El Tanque Pezzarossi

Oct 19, 2005
    Canada

Yeah I agree with you that it's embarassing calling up Dwight Yorke and surprise Russell Latapy which at first my reaction was wtf? this guy is still playing? Maybe 3 years ago when he was still playing ok I was a bit nervous but now with the core of the Guatemala midfield it's different news now. When I saw them play now with Marco Pappa, Mario Rodriguez on the sides that just insane pace man and it showed against USA when Mario killed them on that side even managed to red card an american also.

Now 3 years later a similar situation except a step back of qualification still stakes are high but with the youth team and more experience now in Guatemala and not being biased here I think they will take T&T to the wood shed because a team of old men is tired legs quicker, sure they have experience but now a days pace and youth puts it to rest. Stern John sure will be somewhat of a factor but he's past his prime now and I don't think can pull it off anymore like he did at the Hasely Crawford few years ago.