2010 MLS Super Duper Draft Especial.

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by CrimsonChin00, Nov 13, 2009.

1. CrimsonChin00

CrimsonChin00 New Member

Aug 8, 2007
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So I saw no thread for this, just want to keep the conversation going. Soooooo JSF, who would you like to see suit up for the black and red? I am asuming we are getting a high pick?

2. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ...unless we've traded it away? (completed your post) :confused:

3. Black.White&Red

Sep 9, 2009
    Club:
    DC United
    We traded it away!?! Probably to be able to talk to Il Bruce (whom we could have picked up last year!).:eek:

ps-Just as long as they don't draft that cartwheeling clown...:rolleyes:

4. Winoman

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know if we traded it away or not, just throwing that out there in case we did. I don't remember if that was mentioned recently or not. (Ah, the 60s & 70s!) :eek:

Re: the GK's - WTF was that all about??!! I saw the video of those ass-clowns on Goff's blog. Too bad they both couldn't lose!

5. Lowecifer

Lowecifer Member+

Jan 11, 2000
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    We have a pick in the first round, but not the second (we traded it to Colo Colorado for Christian Gomez).

Round 1 :: Pick #7
    Round 2 :: No picks
    Round 3 :: Pick #39
    Round Four :: Pick #55

Climbing the Ladder has a nice summary of the picks and the trades that had an effect on the order.

6. Winoman

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks, Eric. Now, if we only can do as well this year, as last!

7. jason1551

jason1551 Member+

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    LA gets a conditional pick from us in exchange for Wicks. I'm guessing 3rd rounder, but hoping it's a 4th rounder.

8. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd rather worry about the expansion draft first.

We'll have plenty of time to be overwhelmed by JoeSoccerFan and Buzz Carick(?) and all the other college draft guys' info come December/January :)

9. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    It's still early.............but Buzz has started to look at the possible Generation Adidas players.

http://www.3rddegree.net/ga-tracking/

So far only Dilly Duka is semi-official............and we know RBNY will probably be taking him at #2.

One might surmise that if Ike Opara signs.......he'd be the #1 pick to Philly. It's just my opinion that he'd be able to help an expansion team the most right away.

It's hard to know what DC will actually need in 2010 at this point. On the other hand, I've always approached the draft as a "take the best player on the board" kind of event......instead of filling needs. The draft is such a crapshoot, that you don't want to count on these guys to fill holes. It's great when they do, i.e. Wallace, but you can't count on it.

10. Lowecifer

Lowecifer Member+

Jan 11, 2000
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    What kind of name is "Dilly"?

11. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Perhaps his parents name their kids like the Beckham's do ... and he was conceived in the walk-in freezer of a Dairy Queen

[​IMG]

... or perhaps it is short for "DillWeed", which means he is projected to go to the correct team ;)

12. Lowecifer

Lowecifer Member+

Jan 11, 2000
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium

The phrase that jumps into my mind when I read or hear Duka's name is "What the dilly yo?"

13. Diceson

Diceson Member

Dec 21, 1999
    Unless things change, I'm assuming DCUnited will have to burn a draft pick on Paul Torres(?) from the U-18 team. But, hopefully there are some rules changes and the team is allowed to keep it's home-grown players without any cost.

14. Sockey

Sockey Member

Jan 13, 2009
    New Orleans, LA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd like to know what the rules are there as well. Maybe other teams can draft from DC's youth players, but DC would be entitled to compensation in the form of $$? (Don't laugh, I know literally nothing about this sort of thing.)

15. jason1551

jason1551 Member+

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    If he was in the DC academy within the last three years and fit all the academy requirements, then we have first rights to him. That includes players who left DC's academy to go to Bradenton.

So we could still sign him, but we could wait a few rounds to do so. Or do what we did with Hamid and sign him as an academy player and just bypass the draft entirely.

16. Sockey

Sockey Member

Jan 13, 2009
    New Orleans, LA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If we can get him for free like that, why waste a draft pick, right? My question is, what specifically do "first rights" entitle DC to?

17. jason1551

jason1551 Member+

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    It means that a team that wants him would have to deal with us first. An academy player is basically a discovery player in that one team has permission to speak with the player before anyone else can.

18. Sockey

Sockey Member

Jan 13, 2009
    New Orleans, LA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So basically the draft has no effect on our academy players...

Good.

19. jason1551

jason1551 Member+

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Only to a point. There's a limit to how many academy players you can sign in a year and have on the roster at any time (at least in regards to being developmental and GA). So once you hit that maximum point, the team would have to put them on the senior roster and bear the full front of their salary.

20. Sockey

Sockey Member

Jan 13, 2009
    New Orleans, LA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So once we've signed all the academy players that we can in that year, then the rest go on the open market? What happens to them? Do we have to waive them like a regular player in order for them to go to another team?

21. jason1551

jason1551 Member+

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Don't know because it's never happened. There's already a limit for how many players can be signed to a GA contract, but I would guess that there's no limit for how many you can sign to a senior contract. I'm also sure there's some kind of statute of limitations for how long an MLS team can maintain first rights to an academy player, but I have no idea how MLS will deal with such an unprecedented event other than to make a new rule.

22. Diceson

Diceson Member

Dec 21, 1999

Herein lies the problem. If I'm one of the MLS teams that doesn't have a youth team, or I'm one of the newer teams that hasn't had the time to establish a youth structure, I'm raising holy hell if DCUnited is allowed to sign Torres for "free" and/or NY Red Bull are allowed to sign Duka without payment. Along with Hamid, DCUnited would have 2 of the best dozen or so U-20's in the nation!

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for the fact that the team has put its resources towards raising youngin's should get the benies - Hell, I say anyone coming through the team(s) youth system shouldn't count against the salary budget or roster space.

However, we all know about the parity that is MLS, and some owners will bitch and moan and talk about pulling out.

23. jason1551

jason1551 Member+

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Except Duka isn't a NYRB academy player. There are certain requirements that a player has to make to be considered a part of a team's academy. Duka wasn't there long enough to qualify and didn't have enough time with the academy before he joined Rutger.

24. Diceson

Diceson Member

Dec 21, 1999
    Thanks for the clarification. I hadn't seen any of the academy rules for MLS.

25. JoeSoccerFan

JoeSoccerFan Member+

Aug 11, 2000
    Jason is correct - thanks for saving my typing.

Dice - the rules are written in the sand garden on Garber's desk. It's similar to the MLS rules during the early days.

I'm starting to put my draft list together. It'll take awhile.