2010 MLS Attendance Analysis: Week 2

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by Andy_B, Mar 29, 2010.

1. DoctorD

DoctorD Member+

Sep 29, 2002
    MidAtlantic
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not that, for a large chunk of potential attendees for both games, last night was a religious holiday.

You WASP gringos.

2. galaxy500

galaxy500 Member

Jan 21, 2010
    LA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    attendance for both games last night, all things considered, was very good IMO.

3. TOareaFan

TOareaFan Member+

Jun 19, 2008
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    So, what we are saying is that in a city of +/- 4 million we can't find more than 19k people who:

1 rank soccer above pre-season baseball or ice hockey
    2 will watch 2 soccer games within a 5 day period
    3 will go out on Thursday night to a soccer game
    4 are not so devoutly Christian that going out the night before Good Friday is ok.
    5 will brave temps in the mid-50s

I understand the reasons people are putting out but I still can't help feeling disappointed that conditions have to be so perfect to get people to come to a match between two crosstown rivals.

4. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Galaxy average attendances:

1996 30,129
    1997 23,626
    1998 21,784
    1999 17,632
    2000 20,400
    2001 17,387
    2002 19,047
    2003 21,983
    2004 23,809
    2005 24,204
    2006 20,814
    2007 24,252
    2008 26,009
    2009 20,416

Thanks for your concern about our ability to support our team. We feel ok with where we're at.

5. TOareaFan

TOareaFan Member+

Jun 19, 2008
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    No need to get all aggressive....I know the Galaxy have been an attendance leader....that is precisely why 19k for a derby is a surprise/disappointment to me.

6. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    Like described above - Chivas fans stopped attending these games. That leaves around 18k Galaxy fans who are going to be attending this match, which what you should be expecting from L.A. this year on a weekday.

7. CACuzcatlan

CACuzcatlan Member

Jun 11, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It looked just as full on TV as the opener. Although I noticed a giant Galaxy jersey covering part of the corner near the Riot Squad. The FO is finally getting what they deserve. They put out two years of a horrible team and raised prices and now they can't get fans to come out to see a great team. I hope they lower the sideline prices or something. Looks like those are the ones that they have the most trouble selling. Most of the cheaper seats look full. As a Galaxy fan, I think the turnout is a big disappointment for our biggest rivalry game. If I'm not mistaken, I believe last year's first leg playoff game got higher attendance with a lot less advance notice.

8. ChicagoFC (FireClub)

Jan 25, 2009
    Logan Square
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    when a "SuperClassico" undersells a game against the revs by 2,000, it's time to find a more accurate name

9. harry callahan

Jul 15, 2007
    Angel City Brigade
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Poor turnout by galaxy fans, but what happened to all the Chivas fans have they just give up on this game or was it because being the away team they would have had to pay for there tickets. This is the third so-called superclassico i have attended with galaxy as the home team and the number of chivas fans attending has fell off the cliff.

10. Baysider

Baysider Member+

Jul 16, 2004
    Santa Monica
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    This is for sure. My sideline tickets have over the last five years gone from a list price of $45 to $75. And for many of those years, the quality of the product has been pretty bad.

11. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Didn't LA make MLS Cup last year?

12. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All smoke and mirrors. They still sucked.;)

13. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    Actually it's three horrible years, and then a breakout year last year. It takes more then one good year to get a fan base back - especially at these prices.

14. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looking at available tickets and such it seems that the guesstimate of 12K at the Dick tomorrow is probably a good one.

15. galaxy500

galaxy500 Member

Jan 21, 2010
    LA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    whatever helps you cope

16. CACuzcatlan

CACuzcatlan Member

Jun 11, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I didn't say the horrible teams were in the last two years, they were 06, 07, 08. There were actually three really bad years as crookeddy pointed out. Last year they turned things around but by then their attendance had already dropped. Looks like the drop is continuing this year.

17. vponce75

vponce75 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 16, 2004
    SoCal
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not saying the FO shouldn't take notice and address the situation but a "drop off" to ~20K is a problem most franchises would love to have.

18. BlackCoffee&Bourbon

BlackCoffee&Bourbon New Member

Feb 3, 2007
    Monticello, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Both games last night drew almost 20k! That is really good for a mid-week game and while some people have today off, a lot have to work. All these doom and gloom types need to look on the brightside of things. Wait, this is bigsoccer... nevermind the last sentence.

19. pankfish

pankfish Member

Jun 29, 2009
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    2 games in 5 days is a lot for people who live 45+ minutes from the stadium. Especially if they just took a big hit to their bank account to buy season tickets a couple of weeks ago, they probably don't feel good about dropping a few hundred extra a couple of weeks later to attend an extra match. Maybe if the game was a little later in the season it would be different.

20. TOareaFan

TOareaFan Member+

Jun 19, 2008
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I have not heard any "doom and gloom" about the LA attendance last night. I have heard "disappointment and surprise" and there is a big difference.

To not be disappointed about a sub 20k crowd in such an important market when both clubs are from the local market seems a bit strange to me.

21. CACuzcatlan

CACuzcatlan Member

Jun 11, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In 08, our home opener against the Earthquakes drew 27k on a Thursday night. This year, we play our biggest rivals on a Thursday and get a few thousand less

22. UPinSLC

UPinSLC Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    SL,UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    in 2008 the unemployment rate wasnt almost 10% and the economy wasnt in the shitter. people had (thought they had) more money to spend and beckham mania was in full swing. 2 years is a pretty big difference, especially the last two years.

23. FuzzyForeigner

Oct 29, 2003
    WA
    Club:
    Seattle
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Medio Classico"

24. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And 2008 had Beckham in his first home game since his disastrous first 1/2 season with the club.

The "beckham effect" still existed. At this point, the only legacy of the Beckham effect around the HDC is the ticket prices.

25. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Piquito Classico