2009 (Wishful Thinking) Starting XI

Discussion in 'Vancouver Whitecaps' started by whiteisthecolour, Jul 29, 2008.

1. whiteisthecolour

whiteisthecolour Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 10, 2007
    Miyazaki, Japan
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Suppose Garber granted us a franchise earlier this morning and - much to our surprise - announced that we would begin play next season (2009). The only catch is that, since he is letting us into MLS early, we get no players from an expansion draft. We have to use our current squad plus whomever we can sign.

Here's a few groundrules:
    1. We get to keep all our current players, so some will certainly stay with the team - USE 5 CURRENT WHITECAPS MINIMUM.
    2. Use the MLS salary cap and other teams' rosters to keep your roster realistic - NO CRISTIANO RONALDO SIGNINGS.
    3. Dream a little - (BUT NOT CRISTIANO RONALDO!)

2. whiteisthecolour

whiteisthecolour Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 10, 2007
    Miyazaki, Japan
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    My roster includes my favorite current Whitecaps, a couple MLS vets (that we'd trade for), Canadians, and a star signing.

GK - Pat Onstad (Canadian)
    DF - Lyle Martin (Whitecap)
    DF - Kevin Harmse (Canadian/Former Whitecap/MLS)
    DF - David Edgar (Canadian)
    DF - Adrian Serioux (Canadian/MLS)
    MF - Martin Nash (Canadian/Whitecap/Brother of owner)
    MF - Jeff Clarke (Whitecap)
    MF - Julian de Guzman (Canadian)
    MF - Sacha Kljestan (MLS)
    FW - Saloman Kalou (DP)
    FW - Nwankwo Kanu

I kept a couple fave Whitecaps, signed an older striker from England, Kalou as my DP, then filled out the rest with higher-level Canadians or MLS players.

3. Durian Durian

Durian Durian New Member

Jul 10, 2008
    Vancouver
    Well here it is, Durian Durian's 2009 hypothetical MLS Vancouver Whitecaps; The DP is the fun part, you just try to imagine who out of the lower skill level pools and some vets you could have to compliment them.

G - Jay Nolly
    (Whitecap #1, he's clearly being groomed for the MLS spot. NCAA title and MLS experience doesn't hurt either)

D - Adrian Serioux
    (FC Dallas, Besides being Canadian he was the one who gave Beckham that tone-setting tackle in 2007, but isnt a studs-up "tough guy" like Harmse who plays a little too rough for me)

D - Wesley Charles
    (Whitecap #2, his size, marking ability and the chemistry forming with him and Nash)

D - Tyrone Marshall
    (Toronto FC, Jamaica, Toronto would never lose him, but he's a premier marking back who isn't afraid of being vocal on field)

D - Ante Jazic
    (LA Galaxy's Canadian, with experience of playing outside of North America and can run the wing-back)

M - Juan Toja
    (Colombian from FC Dallas with speed and could cycle into attacks with Eddie off the wing)

M - Gennaro Gattuso
    (AC Milan, Team Italy DP, would cost an arm and a leg, but with his fiery spirit, he would set the tone and control the pace of the match and have Jazic, Nash, Sebrango and Razov to work with. This is fantasy right :D. Plus he fills out the DP standard of being over 30 lol)

M - Martin Nash
    (Whitecap #3, because in an expansion club you need a defensive M who can play marking back and jump into attack)

M - Justin Moose
    (Whitecap #4, MLS experience and despite his size he's not too bad of an engine on the other wing)

F - Eduardo Sebrango
    (Whitecap #5, would clean up Razov's misses and punch in a few amazing 18 yarders)

F - Ante Razov
    (Chivas USA, Team USA, You don't have the all-time American goal scoring record for no reason. In addition between him and Gattuso you'll have no shortage of leadership on field and its always good to have a question of who will be the Penalty Kick and Free Kick takers)

I think this team would score more goals in year 1 than Toronto FC did ;)

4. JohnnyRanger

JohnnyRanger Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 30, 2008
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    I love Rino Gattuso, but no chance there mate, plus he is not as marketable or as much of an *impact* guy...He wins balls and makes extraordinary tackles, but is never going to be a Highlight reel machine

as far as a DP...Henry we have the financial backing, and he would go really well opposite Bechkam as a big brand marketing guy (Already is with Gillette opposite Federer and Woods) as well as being *reportedly* good friends with Steve Nash. Also reportedly interested in MLS...sometime:rolleyes:

GK: Nolly
    DL: Taka Hirano (current Cap)
    DR: Paul Stalteri (head home after last year in Europe)
    DC: Wesley Charles (Like what Durian Durian wrote)
    DC: Adrian Serioux (Solid & Canuck)
    MR: Jacob Lensky (Currently at Feyenoord IIRC)(Vancouver Boy)
    ML:Tomasz Radzinski (Canadian, gotta be nearly done in Europe)
    Roving MC: Marty Nash (Current Cap and Canadian)
    Deep MC: Kevin Harmse (Vancity boy, former Whitecap)
    AMC: De Rosario (Canadian, great MLS player)
    FW: Henry*Captain* (DP)

------------------------Henry-----------------------
    ----------------------De Rosario---------------------
    Radzinski--------------Nash--------------------Lensky
    ----------------------Harmse------------------------
    Hirano-----------------------------------------Stalteri
    ------------------Charles-----Serioux-----------------
    ----------------------Nolly---------------------------

Bench/Reserves:
    Steve Kindell(D & MF Cover, versatile, BC Boy)
    Alfredo Valente(Local Guy, excellent cover in Midfield)
    Justin Moose (Coming along nicely with Caps)
    Omar Jarun (Big back)
    Eddie Sebrango (great cover for Henry
    Lyle Martin (cover for D, good kid with loads of potential)
    Jeff Clarke (Cover for D/MF)
    Serge Djekanovic (Back up Keeper)
    Nick Webb (Youth up and comer)
    Mason Webb (Youth Up and Comer)
    Stef Leslie (youth, depth & Versatile)
    Diaz Kambere (Young, depth & Versatile)
    Luca Bellisomo (Young Centreback)

5. JohnnyRanger

JohnnyRanger Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 30, 2008
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Just saw on the Voyageurs board that Lensky has quit Feyenoord and is returning to Canada...so I need a new Right Sided MF for my above wishful thinking 11.