2009 UNC Tar Heels

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by jbs01, Dec 15, 2008.

1. jerseysoccer09

jerseysoccer09 New Member

Sep 15, 2009
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    This is getting catty. As I have posted before, hats off to UNC, they did what they needed to do to win the game. And I love watching Casey N play. I am sure there was a camera at a proper angle, they just chose not to dwell on the replay. I find that generally during coverage of the college women's game, they don't question the referee's calls on the field. I just think it is unfortunate that the ref made that call - I obviously couldn't see it correctly, but I don't think she was offsides. oh well, it is part of the game, but just from a fans perspective, i would have liked to seen how UNC would have responded.

2. WhatsBruin

WhatsBruin Member

Aug 3, 2005
    Photos from the Final
    (lots of them)

http://johngriley.com/Stanford/2009/UNC1.htm

I still say it was 1-1!

I thought we had some wildly negative people on the Card site but nothing compared to the bloggers on this site! :D

3. sir711

sir711 New Member

Mar 27, 2003
    ks
    who made the all tourney team? "ability without honor has no value"

4. fire123

fire123 Member+

Jul 31, 2009
    What calls did you think the AR missed? The time or the players involved? Have you tried pointing them out in the Referee forum? Many of them watched the game. Maybe some can give their opnion.

You don't know why someone was rude to you? Do you think you deserve better?

5. Carolina92

Carolina92 Member

Sep 26, 2008
    I never knew this, but apparently UNC Womens' Soccer isn't the most dominant NCAA program in history. The University of Denver's Ski Team is currently tied with the Heels for the most NCAA titles by a single program...

http://www.ncaa.com/sports/c-ski/spec-rel/031409aab.html

6. tcrawdad

tcrawdad New Member

Jul 31, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mannnnnnnn, you know the Nebraska Cornhuskers are jealous of that!

7. gogogo

gogogo Member

Apr 18, 2002
    Amazing and good to know. Of course, UNC has that 1981 Association for Intercollegiate Athletics for Women (AIAW) national title, too...

8. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    You probably shouldn't go for non-NCAA national titles. Among others, you'd be competing with Johns Hopkins' 44 National titles in LaCrosse since 1898...

That doesn't include two Olympic Gold medals and a World Championship.

There's a reason the LaCrosse hall of Fame is at Homewood Field.

9. gogogo

gogogo Member

Apr 18, 2002
    Awesome stats. I'm a Blue Jay lacrosse fan too - so many of those championships seem like ancient history, its's hard to remember that Hopkins was so dominant over time...

10. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, I was checking out various blogs and I saw a link to this article which implies that Bronze is leaving UNC. Now, the blog where I saw the link is not always the most trustworthy. But, it wouldn't be unheard of for a kid far away from home to have trouble adjusting and decide to go to school closer to home. Does anyone know anything that can be shared over the 'net? Personally, I hope this story is not true.

I was hesitant to post this but there's a link, not just the sometimes untrustworthy blog.

11. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Looks legit to me. I do like the stereotypical swipe at soccer in the U.S.

Yep, all about athleticism, nothing about tactics or technique. :rolleyes:

12. gloria

gloria New Member

Jul 11, 2009
    Club:
    Everton LFC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Bronze is back in England to try to be part of the squad for the U20 world cup.
    There are training camps every month- several USA players are doing the same-ie taking a break from college because the training programme is so full
    She did not make that quote that is stereo typical of the USA-an english coach did.
    She has not decided what to do after the world cup and will not decide until after the U20 world cup. The most accurate article is in the nothumberland gazzette in England

13. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The link I included looked legit (which is why I posted). It was the site at which I initially found reference to Bronze leaving that I find to be questionable. But yes, I rolled my eyes at the "they only chase" comment. I do wonder just how much NCAA ball (or UNC ball) said Sunderland rep has actually watched.

Thank you for the information. I'd hoped you might be able to provide some information. I wish Bronze the best in her pursuit of U20 success and academic success regardless of where and how she decides to pursue those goals. Even with the usual freshman adjustments, I thought Bronze was a great addition to the Heels and to the university. As a fan, I certainly hope she returns to Chapel Hill.

Aside from her family, which I assume completely support her no matter what, I wonder how much support she's getting (particularly in soccer/football circles) for her decision to come to the USA for college. It isn't a choice many top flight UK players make, I don't think. I know a handful have here but I can't think of an English player of similar ability that's made the move to a US college at 18 in the last 8+ years.

I know many freshmen that think of transferring from their chosen school after the first semester and for some that's the right decision. For others, the second semester (and sophomore year) leads to a complete change of opinion. The two senior stars of the UNC field hockey team thought about leaving UNC to return to South Africa at various points in their college careers but decided to stay.

14. REALSOCCER

REALSOCCER New Member

Jun 23, 2009
    Club:
    --other--
    I don't know of any USA-players that are taking a break for the U20 world cup.The upcoming schedule will require 1 week a month from school for training. The tournament is in the summer. I commend all the young ladies for sucking it up and taking care of their school work.

15. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    REALSOCCER, in the past, multiple players have taken time off from school for various national team commitments. For example, Lori Chalupny and Heather O'Reilly are just now completing their studies (see the ussoccer blog for info) this semester.

16. gloria

gloria New Member

Jul 11, 2009
    Club:
    Everton LFC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    maybe you are correct for the usa players, maybe they are not taking a break, however since they are still in the usa i doubt they would publicise what they are doing. It is just that since Lucy is in England there is a certain amount of speculation.Also the USA players do not have a 5 hour time difference and 24 hours of travel just to get to camp.England also has European championships (2nd phase in sweden in march and finals in macedonia in May-over college exams, La Manga cup in February and other training camps too.Players are not necessarily giving up their studies-many do online courses (as is Lucy).

17. attackerp

attackerp Member

Nov 4, 2009
    Excuse my ignorance. So you all are saying that NCAA allows players to attend for a semester, leave and do whatever in the Spring and then come back again in the fall and play? If so, you can do that how often?
    Are you not required to take so many hours each year?

18. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    Lots of rule, but yeah, you are allowed a one-time National or Olympic team exception for a period of up to one year that doesn't count towards your 5 year clock.

I'm not sure Sunderland counts as a National team, though.

19. attackerp

attackerp Member

Nov 4, 2009
    So would she lose her eligibilty? Or does the NCAA just turn their head on these things depending on who you are? Isnt that a Pro League she is playing in?

20. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    What league she plays in has nothing to do with it as far as amateur eligibility. The NCAA accepts the FIFA (and FIBA in basketball) definition of eligibility. As long as she has an amateur contract with her team and accepts no money beyond expenses and travel, she is an amateur. There was a similar dust up with foreign players at FSU in the past. they were eligible even after playing in Swedish leagues. this is no different.

Remember that in most of the world, Universities don't play soccer, Athletic clubs do. Anybody in Europe has to go through the club system, which can have pros and amateurs playing on the same team.

here is a similar program in the W league in this country where pros and amateurs can play along side each other. There isn't a top school in the country that doesn't have players who have played in the W League.

the main reason she would lose eligibility might be her meeting academic requirements in progress towards a degree, but without knowing what her arrangements with UNC are academically, there is no way to know if she is meeting them. (maybe she is on study abroad)

As I said, the rules are pretty arcane, and even if you understand them , there's probably no way to know if she is meeting all the requirements.

But have at it. it's all in the Division 1 Manual .

Article 14 (page 127) is a good place to start

21. REALSOCCER

REALSOCCER New Member

Jun 23, 2009
    Club:
    --other--
    These young ladies took less hours,they never dropped out of school. I think the last U20 cup was much more difficult, The past team missed a week every month during the 2008 season and at least 3 weeks straight leading into the actual tournament and they still managed to complete their semester.

22. carolinablue_cchs07

carolinablue_cchs07 New Member

Sep 12, 2005
    Murray, KY
    Club:
    Pali Blues
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i think a better example there would be Ashlyn. She deferred entry, she would've been a freshman fall 2004, but didn't actually enroll in classes until spring 2005 (and we all know what happened that year for her...)

23. BoxxRocks

BoxxRocks Member

Aug 5, 2004
    Club:
    Carolina
    I certainly second everything you've said here re: best to Lucy Bronze, no matter what. I thought she had an amazing year this year, and was very much looking forward to watching her play for the Heels next year. The line about "unhappy with her course of studies" didn't sound very promising, however. Oh well we'll just have to wait and see, I guess.

24. gloria

gloria New Member

Jul 11, 2009
    Club:
    Everton LFC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    FYI Sunderlandwfc is not professional, the girls pay subscription fees and have to contribute to away costs and fundraise to pay costs.

Also Bronze returnes not for sunderland but due to pressures from England- playing for Sunderland makes sense in terms of keeping fitness.

Looking forward to seeing the U20 world cup- and I hope to get to some of it Germany is easier for us to get to than Chile or New Zealand.

I hear AD has an exciting lot of freshmen due in next year-can we all get back on a positive note some of you seem quick to be negative-first from Casey early in the season and now this.These girls love the game and do all they can to train,play and follow any rules they are given

25. Rohbino

Rohbino Member

Feb 9, 2009
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One of the incoming Tarheel recruits, Elizabeth Burchenal, was recently named to the ESPN All-Decade Team:

http://sports.espn.go.com/highschool/rise/soccer/news/story?id=4714173

Liz was on the Ohio Elite SA U18 team last season as a U17. She was OESA team mates with current Tarheel freshman Alyssa Rich. Their club team was Ohio South State Cup champions and played in the National finals but unfortuantely lost to FC Bucks Vipers 1-0. Good luck, Liz!!