2009 NPSL general discussion

Discussion in 'NPSL' started by Epikoinos, Nov 20, 2008.

1. Gioca

Gioca Member

Jun 13, 2004
    Hartford
    Club:
    US Città di Palermo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Any word with what's happening with Tony DiCicco's group?

2. bmccallion

bmccallion New Member

Jul 11, 2009
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ryan,

Is there a reason the stats aren't working on the npsl website?

Maybe its just me but i'd like to see my hometown admirals' numbers up there.

3. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    BCFC 3
    at
    Pocono Snow 2

word is that the Snow were actually up by a score of 2-0 at one point...

4. keem-o-sabi

keem-o-sabi Member

Sep 7, 2005
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Erie 4
    FC Reading Revolution 0

Erie wins the Keystone Conference Title and will host the Northeastern Regional Finals against Boston Aztec, Saturday July 18 (Time TBD).

5. Geyser

Geyser Member

Jul 30, 2005
    Sonoma County Sol earn another victory in their win over South Oregon Fuego in the Western Division Semi's. Goals scored by Trevor Hurst, Brandon Boone(x2), and new comer Andrew Bailey. Assists by Trevor Hurst, Tyler Hurst, Shawn Percell, Eric Lafon

6. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Morris County Colonials ended their 2009 National Premier Soccer League (NPSL) season on a positive note last night with a 5-0 victory over the New York Athletic Club.

Dominating from the start, the Colonials took the lead after just 7 minutes. With space in center midfield, JP Perez played the ball through the middle of two defenders into the path of Mario Maggia, the onrushing midfielder showing great composure to chip the ball past the New York GK.

The Colonials had two great chances to double their lead; Steve Jakubowski and Jonathan Yazo both coming close after being played through by Maggia. Both chances came from careless play from the New York midfield and the Colonials attacking at speed. Although dominating possession and chances, the Colonials were failing to take advantage of New York for their mistakes by putting the ball in the net.

The Colonials finally punished New York for their carelessness in the 39th minute with a fantastic individual goal from Yazo. The striker's persistence paid off in a goal all of his own making; chasing the ball to win it from one center defender before cleverly lifting the ball over the onrushing GK into the far corner of the net. The Colonials gave themselves a commanding 3-0 lead in the 45th minute, Jakubowski rounding the GK and finishing with conviction right at the half time whistle.

New York started the second half with far more energy and purpose but despite their best endeavors, New York failed to seriously trouble the Colonials' back line. As New York continued to push forward, the Colonials took advantage of the spaces left a the back and scored two goals in quick concession in the last 10 minutes of the game. After an outstanding performance, JP Perez got the goal he deserved in the 80th minute; unleashing a fierce half volley that flew into the net from the edge of the 18. Straight from the re-start, the ball found its way to substitute Anthony Danese who exquisitely lobbed the ball over the GK into the net to round the score out to 5-0.

7. paxonst

paxonst New Member

Jan 30, 2005
    NPSL is a good alternative to PDL. Gives more players a chance to develop their skills. I was impressed with the level of technical skill and tactical savy of the teams in the league.

8. esther15

esther15 New Member

Jan 25, 2006
    Too bad the league makes and changes rules for play offs as they go along!! A coach should not be in charge of the league!!!!!!!!!!!

9. ryanelguiri

ryanelguiri New Member

Oct 24, 2007
    Buffalo, NY
    Club:
    Sevilla FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And to whom would you be referring? Last I checked, no coaches were in charge of the league. And I sit on the Executive Committee.

And also, to what rules are you referring to? I'll be happy to respond.

Care to elaborate?

10. keem-o-sabi

keem-o-sabi Member

Sep 7, 2005
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    obviously has no idea what he's talking about.

11. ryano

ryano Member

Mar 9, 2000
    Huntsville, AL
    I'm heading up to the Final Four in Madison, WI today. I won't be getting there until late tonight. I hope to be posting updates about the games and events on my blog. Check it out.

http://pwt-blog.blogspot.com

I've already done a short preview of the teams from a Rocket City United perspective and a post about the venue of the Final Four, Breese Stevens Field.

I hope you like...

12. ryano

ryano Member

Mar 9, 2000
    Huntsville, AL
    Oh, and you can hear the broadcast of the games online here. :cool:

http://www.teamline.cc/teampage?teamcode=6775

Click on the "Click here to listen" link.

Here's the schedule.

Rocket City United vs. Erie Admirals - Friday at 6pm
    Sonoma County Sol vs. St. Paul Twin Stars - Friday at 8pm
    NPSL Final - Winners of Friday's games - Saturday at 7pm

13. president_nater

Jan 30, 2008
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Not exactly headline news considering the NPSL final four is happening this weekend, but here is the latest from the "inactive" Southwest Conference:

--SD United topped the Arizona Sahuaros 5-1 last Saturday night in Arizona, with five different players scoring for United.

--The Sahuaros are traveling out to San Diego this weekend and will play 2 games: Friday night they will play the SD United U-23 team at 5 pm, and Sunday they will play the SD United senior squad at 4 pm. Both games are at Helix HS.

14. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    per email...

As you may have heard this year's NPSL "final four" is being hosted here in Madison, WI. Tonight's semifinal results:

Erie Admirals 4-2 Rocket City (Huntsville, AL)
    Sonoma County Sol 4-1 St. Paul Twin Stars

Both games were a bit of tale of 2 halves with RC holding a slight edge in the first half of their game only to see Erie turn it on in the 2nd.

Sonoma put on a veritable clinic in the 1st half of their game only to come out flat in the second after giving up a goal that made it 2-1 going into halftime. A controversial sending off put St. Paul down to 10 men with about 30 minutes to go. From then on the Sol imposed themselves on the game.

Some players I liked:
    16 for Rocket City, a kid named Willoughby. Very, very small but plays like he has the ball on a string.

Erie had more of an overall team effort so I don't recall right now any particular standouts.

The goalkeeper for St. Paul was outstanding if slightly adventurous. Kinda reminded me of Coundoul for the Rapids and now NYRB.

Sonoma had a play, #2, Tyler(?) Hurst who played well on the left side but his marker went walkabout most of the night. Their #24, Cate(?) also turned the game on its head when he came on at halftime. I'll be watching them both closely in the Final on Saturday.

15. Epikoinos

Epikoinos Soccer player-coach-manager-journalist

Arsenal, Real Salt Lake, Forward Madison
    United States
    Jan 6, 2004
    Oregon, WI
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. BERTHOLD

BERTHOLD Member

Dec 6, 2000
    For all those NPSL Alabama Fantasy League Players out there.
    http://fantasy.premierleague.com/

I went ahead and started the BAMA Premier League for 2009/10

Open to the 1st Group of 20 players.

Code to join this league: 741957-156703

The BAMA Premier League will fall under Relegation, where the bottom 3 teams will be relegated to the BAMA Championship League for 2010/11.

I also went ahead and started the BAMA Championship League for 2009/10

Open to a 2nd Group of 20 Players

Code to join this league: 741957-156663

The BAMA Championship League will fall under Promotion, where the bottom 3 teams will be promoted to the BAMA Premier League for 2010/11.

If we get more than 40 players, I will open up a BAMA League 1
    and then a BAMA League 2 if required ...

17. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. ryano

ryano Member

Mar 9, 2000
    Huntsville, AL
    Behind the scenes photo gallery from the NPSL:

Part I
    Part II
    Part III

We had a terrific time up in Madison, WI. Hope to see some of you in Huntsville next year.

19. president_nater

Jan 30, 2008
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    More inconsequential results from SW friendlies:

Friday, Jul 31
    SD United U-23's 5 - 1 Arizona Sahuaros

Sunday, Aug 2
    SD United 4 - 3 Arizona Sahuaros

Congratulations to the Sol on their championship. I only saw them once this season, but they played really well as a unit. Congrats!

20. Epikoinos

Epikoinos Soccer player-coach-manager-journalist

Arsenal, Real Salt Lake, Forward Madison
    United States
    Jan 6, 2004
    Oregon, WI
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's awesome! Great stuff.

21. keem-o-sabi

keem-o-sabi Member

Sep 7, 2005
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The final was a very good one. To be honest, Sonoma played better looking soccer, but Erie was far better IMO (yes I'm from Erie) but the system Erie played was much more effective and created many more opportunities for them to score.

Both goalkeepers had excellent finals. Sonoma's made very timely saves and Danny Mudd from Erie definitely made the save of the tournament tipping away a bicycle looping effort that was going far post into the upper 90 in literally the last 5 seconds.

Both teams tried to attack, it was very physical from both teams (Sonoma was just as guilty as Erie was, Erie just plays that way as that is the way it's played in the Northeast).

All in all a good weekend, finished off by a great final match.

22. ButlerBob

ButlerBob Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2001
    Evanston, IL
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chris, care to give an over view on where you think the league is and where it might be going in the next couple of years?