2009 NPSL general discussion

Discussion in 'NPSL' started by Epikoinos, Nov 20, 2008.

1. Epikoinos

Epikoinos Soccer player-coach-manager-journalist

Arsenal, Real Salt Lake, Forward Madison
    United States
    Jan 6, 2004
    Oregon, WI
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not a ton of new stuff here, but ...

* Princeton-56ers change name to Madison 56ers
    * Possible teams joining Midwest: Brooklyn Knights (Minn.), Springfield SC (Mo.), Detroit United
    * Region starting in Texas/Oklahoma

2. Redknapp11

Redknapp11 New Member

Jan 1, 2001
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Russia
    I didn't see this article floating around this board so I thought I'd pass it along.

For a long, long time this club was the minor league club... piece of US soccer history is all but dead.

http://www.orovillemr.com/sports/ci_10913512

3. elgambitero

elgambitero New Member

Apr 10, 2008
    Buffalo City FC joins the fray, replacing Queen City FC as the team in Buffalo New York.

Buffalo City brings with it, over 30 partnerships with the top clubs in the world, which will all be announced on December 5th upon launching of the club's website. But, don't be surprised to see a few of the top teams in the Premier League, as well as top clubs in France, Spain, Italy.

Enough talk about having the change to make it pro or not. If you play for Buffalo City FC, and you are good enough to go pro, you will get sent over, end of story.

Mike Share is our Head Coach and Director of Coaching for the club (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Share). Mike played in the European academy system all his life and brings with him both player and coaching experience from The Netherlands, England, Spain and France.

More on our club as we get the website rolled out and the partnerships announced.

4. Epikoinos

United States
    Jan 6, 2004
    Oregon, WI
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So does Queen City FC still exist? Or just not in the NPSL? What's the deal there?

Any other changes out East?

Also, is there going to a Canadian division?

5. elgambitero

elgambitero New Member

Apr 10, 2008
    Queen City FC no longer exists. As for other changes out east, I'm sure Chris can fill everyone in on that.

6. keem-o-sabi

keem-o-sabi Member

Sep 7, 2005
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Buffalo City is now operating the rights of Queen City in the NPSL. With that being said here is what I have thus far:

Northeast will have two divisions: Atlantic and Keystone
    Atlantic is: Maine Sting, Boston Aztec, New York Athletic Club, Long Island Academy, Morris County Colonials, AC Diablos
    Keyston is: Erie Admirals (New), Buffalo City, Pocono Snow (New), Pennsylvania Stoners, Philadelphia TBA (New), Lancaster Inferno, Charm City
    There is interest in someone taking over Tony Dicicco's group in CT and operating them, so there could be 14. The MY Soccer Club USA group is not going to be with us in 2009 as their website says.

Southeast
    Teams from last year are returning and they should have a total of 6. New teams are not confirmed but they will be shortly

Midwest
    as was stated earlier all teams are returning and we are looking to add 2-3 new clubs there, none are confirmed, so we will see where we are at the AGM in January

Southwest
    Looks like we will have 4-5 teams playing there. One team is looking to return from hiatus.

Northwest
    All teams are returning and Redding has been confirmed for 2009. There are two groups in the Bay area interested in playing, one to be a provisional club the other a full club. A returning club may be in the works, Chico Rooks just announced they are not coming back in unfortunately.

South Central
    It looks as though this may happen for 2009 with clubs in Tulsa, OK City, Dallas, Fort Worth and San Antonio.

That's where I'm at right now. 2010 in the Northeast we already have 3 more commitments and should have 16-20 groups there alone. We are working to develop our Southern Conferences as well. I'm working with the commissioners there to identify groups.

As for Canada, there will be an announcement shortly, can't say yet until the press release is completed.

7. AAAfot

AAAfot New Member

Nov 27, 2008
    any news on Buffalo City tryouts?

8. futgod

futgod Member+

Nov 28, 2006
    NorCal
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Could the provisionoal club be the SF Seals? Didnt they do some kind of part time thing last season also? The other club in the bay area is the Bay Area Ambassadors FC owned by former Nigerian National team captain Tony Igwe (Revolution's Amechi Igwe's dad) I wonder if the returning club might be the Sacramento Knights.

9. elgambitero

elgambitero New Member

Apr 10, 2008
    We are solidifying things right now, and with the holidays things will be announced as soon as we can. The new website (www.buffalocityfc.com) will launch December 5th, so you can check to the site to see, but they will be announced here as well.

10. CaliforniaSoccer

Mar 21, 2006
    Unfortunately I have not heard anything about the Knights returning. I could be wrong, but I think I am in the loop here is Sacramento.

Redding? That is pretty isolated, not sure where the players are going to come from.

11. futgod

futgod Member+

Nov 28, 2006
    NorCal
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I just came upon the news, that a new NPSL team has been started in La Morinda Ca (bay area) La Morinda soccer club seems to be the owners and their general director is the coach. Their having a somewhat try-out with players they are inviting this sunday. So two new clubs in the bay area, thats pretty cool.

12. akhan

akhan New Member

Sep 23, 2008
    Club:
    San Francisco Seals
    Nat'l Team:
    Fiji

Tryouts are coming well,the response has been great for the BayArea Ambassadors FC. pls see : www.baambassadors.com... Arif Team director

13. keem-o-sabi

keem-o-sabi Member

Sep 7, 2005
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The west still has to vote on all of the new teams out there, but that will happen in January, the other conferences had their regional meetings and have approved new clubs. There are going to be 5 in the Southeast for 2009, 12 in Northeast, Midwest should have 6 from my understanding, Northwest (if all teams are approved) will have 8 teams. Southwest should have 4 groups this year.

I'll try and keep everyone up to date on developments.

Good news, our web company is completely re-developing the site. It is undergoing testing next week, so hopefully by the AGM the new spiffy site will be up.

14. grimreaperz

grimreaperz New Member

May 7, 2007
    Do we know who the 4th team will be in the Southwest. I know Pumitas are not coming back (San Diego). Do we have any other teams?

15. ottawasportsfan2010

ottawasportsfan2010 New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Where will the poca team be based out of.

16. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Where in the LaMorinda area would the team be playing? Moraga, Lafayette or Orinda?

17. futgod

futgod Member+

Nov 28, 2006
    NorCal
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Orinda, Miramonte High to be exact.

18. ButlerBob

ButlerBob Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2001
    Evanston, IL
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Any idea who the teams in the midwest might be. It doesn't look like the team in Rockford will be back. I had sent their contact an email and was told they were not fielding a team in 09 in the NPSL.

19. Epikoinos

United States
    Jan 6, 2004
    Oregon, WI
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rockford didn't play last year, either ... Chicago Fire took their place. I had heard they would be back, but that was a few months ago.

Last I heard, Midwest was

Chicago Fire
    Madison 56ers (changed name, dropped "Princeton")
    Milwaukee Bavarians
    St. Paul Twin Stars

With the chance of adding other teams, most notably
    Brooklyn Knights (Minn.)
    Springfield SC (Mo.)
    Detroit United

20. keem-o-sabi

keem-o-sabi Member

Sep 7, 2005
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Epi is right. As far as I know the Fire will have a team in. Will have more info on the new groups for everyone shortly.

21. ButlerBob

ButlerBob Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2001
    Evanston, IL
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Ok, I guess my confusion was from the NPSL site. On the team list the link to the team's web site went to Rockford for the Fire team. So I just assumed that they were working with the Fire. It sounds now like that was a totaly different team. Do you guys have have a contact email for that team? Thanks

22. Epikoinos

United States
    Jan 6, 2004
    Oregon, WI
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FC Indiana's site has a story posted last week that says they will return to the NPSL Midwest again in 2009. They played in 2007, too, going 0-10 and finishing with -3 points because one of the losses was a forfeit.

So that gives us ...

Chicago Fire
    FC Indiana
    Madison 56ers
    Milwaukee Bavarians
    St. Paul Twin Stars

Another Minnesota team would be great -- the road trips would make more sense (2 in Wisconsin, 2 in Minnesota, then Chicago/Indiana). But the FC Indiana story says an eight-game schedule, which would imply no new teams.

23. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. keem-o-sabi

keem-o-sabi Member

Sep 7, 2005
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Northeastern Region -Keystone Conference schedule (I will post the Atlantic Conference schedule tonight or tomorrow):

Buffalo City FC
    5/16 @ FC Revolution
    5/22 Pocono Snow
    5/31 FC Revolution
    6/5 @ Charm City FC
    6/6 @ Penn Stoners
    6/13 Erie Admirals
    6/20 @Erie Admirals
    6/27 Charm City FC
    6/28 Penn Stoners
    7/10 @ Pocono Snow

Charm City FC (Baltimore, MD)
    5/23 FC Revolution
    5/29 @ Pocono Snow
    6/5 Buffalo City FC
    6/6 Erie Admirals
    6/13 @ Penn Stoners
    6/17 Pocono Snow
    6/20 FC Revolution
    6/27 @ Buffalo City FC
    6/28 @ Erie Admirals
    7/11 Penn Stoners

Erie Admirals (Erie, PA)
    5/23 Pocono Snow
    5/31 FC Revolution
    6/5 @ Penn Stoners
    6/6 @ Charm City FC
    6/13 @ Buffalo City FC
    6/20 Buffalo City FC
    6/27 Penn Stoners
    6/28 Charm City FC
    7/8 @ Pocono Snow
    7/11 @ FC Revolution

FC Revolution (Reading, PA)
    5/16 Buffalo City FC
    5/23 @ Charm City FC
    5/28 Penn Stoners
    5/30 @ Buffalo City FC
    5/31 @ Erie Admirals
    6/6 Pocono Snow
    6/19 @ Penn Stoners
    6/20 Charm City FC
    6/27 @ Pocono Snow
    7/11 Erie Admirals

Penn Stoners (Allentown, PA)
    5/28 @ FC Revolution
    5/31 @ Pocono Snow
    6/5 Erie Admirals
    6/6 Buffalo City FC
    6/13 Charm City FC
    6/19 FC Revolution
    6/27 @ Erie Admirals
    6/28 @ Buffalo City FC
    7/2 Pocono Snow
    7/11 @ Charm City FC

Pocono Snow (East Stroudsburg, PA)
    5/22 @ Buffalo City FC
    5/23 @ Erie Admirals
    5/29 Charm City FC
    5/31 Penn Stoners
    6/6 @ FC Revolution
    6/17 @ Charm City FC
    6/27 FC Revolution
    7/2 @ Penn Stoners
    7/8 Erie Admirals
    7/10 Buffalo City FC

The new league website is looking good by the way. I hope it can be launched by the middle of February (realistically the end of the month). It is a massive improvement over the past two sites and so things look great. There are 11 teams in the Northeast this year 6 in the keystone, 5 in the Atlantic for 2009.

25. SCCS Coach

SCCS Coach Member

Nov 29, 2006
    Are the Alabama Spirit going to be a full member?

Also, does anyone have a logo image for them?