2009-2010 Concacaf Champions League [R]

Discussion in 'CONCACAF Champions Cup' started by MoRado, Dec 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Marquis

The Marquis Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Washougal, WA
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: 2009-2010 Concacaf Champions League

Right, judged on the previous tournament alone I can understand that. As long as they stay consistent. Let's just hope Saprissa performs to their potential and avoids the group of death this season.

2. City Dave

City Dave Member

Jan 26, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

That's actually not a bad judgment considering that the format changed. It'd be unfair in a way to include results from previous tournaments under a different format. Hopefully, it's a sign that they'll continue to adjust the invitations in this manner and develop some kind of official system like they do in other confederations.

3. la fresa

la fresa Member+

Oct 31, 2005
    texas
    Club:
    Serbian White Eagles

there is no rhyme behind their reason

if that were the case mls teams would only have one or two slots this season

they're to busy counting their money to know who they should invite in this situation. because it sure as hell should not have been another team from panama

4. anewsoccerfan

anewsoccerfan Member

Apr 15, 2007
    Chapel Hill, NC

That spot should have gone to the Caribbean. Islanders went further than anyone from frickin' Panama...loller @ concacaf

5. The Marquis

The Marquis Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Washougal, WA
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Well, since it is Belize and now possibly Nicaragua that are having the issues, it should go to a club in a league under the UNCAF umbrella. I don't see why that is unreasonable.

6. City Dave

City Dave Member

Jan 26, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

That's a perfect example of contradictory statements.

If they were making the decision based on money then they sure as hell shouldn't have picked the two contingency countries that they did. I'm sure Panama and Honduras generate all kinds of revenue for the CCL, right?

7. The Marquis

The Marquis Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Washougal, WA
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Yeah especially another Panamanian side likely means Tauro will get in (as they weren't likely to otherwise) and they sure pulled the fans out alright. Yeah, I believe they drew 500, 700, 1500, and 1500. That's a total of 4200 over 4 matches. The worst attendance draw of the entire proper tournament. Money it is!

8. nfiniti

nfiniti Member

Jun 30, 2007
    Rutherford
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Panama

if Esteli do fail inspection, and we get that 3rd spot... I hope Rommel Stadium is finished.. nice to play some games in a brand spanking freshly remodeled stadium

9. la fresa

la fresa Member+

Oct 31, 2005
    texas
    Club:
    Serbian White Eagles

i mean the money they already have from stealing from concacaf teams, programs, etc

dont think they pay much attention to competition or which central american team will bring more money or to the tournament in general

10. MountainHawk

MountainHawk New Member

Sep 7, 2005
    Salem, MA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Are the Honduran and Panamanian leagues deeper than the Costa Rica league? I mean, I know Costa Rica has done more damage, but it seems like it Saprissa and "everyone else" in the league. If HON3 is better than CRC3, I don't really care if CRC1 is way better than HON1.

11. elcibernetico24

Jun 28, 2008
    Club:
    CDSC Cruz Azul
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico

all of this just goes to show everyone that concacaf officials are not just greedy, but also they have no idea about what they are doing.stupid concacaf officials dont know shit about futbol.with this kind of leaders no wonder concacaf is so far behind the rest of the REAL confederations.

12. nfitz

nfitz Member

Aug 20, 2007
    Toronto

Anyone any idea when the draw is? Last year they had the draw for the preliminary round on June 11th, and the group stage on June 16th - but play didn't begin until August 26th. This year play begins on July 28th ... so we are behind schedule on the draw.

13. JYDA

JYDA Member

Sep 10, 2003

You guys all need to realize who's really in charge of this competition... the sponsors! They're the reason it's taken forever to form a large club competition and the huge upsurge in popularity of mexican football in the united states is the sole reason this new competition was created. The popularity of the Mexican national team and the mexican league in the United States continues to explode and so do the TV ratings and interest. Subsequently, in the past couple of years sponsors are becoming ever more desperate to get their foot in the door and not get left behind. Companies like bud light, allstate, adidas and home depot have had huge success sponsoring the mexican national team and their US tours. It's no coincidence that the Champions League is sponsored by their direct competitors Lowe's, Miller Lite, State Farm and Puma. So if you're wondering why there's 4 MLS teams in the tournament, it's to maximize the number of games in the US for Mexican clubs where the sponsors will get maximum return on investment. It's the same reason Superliga exists and why the Gold Cup is unnecessarily played every two years. As long as football is the most effective way for businesses in the United States to target Mexican immigrants, we'll see the sponsors dictating these competitions as opposed to fairness and integrity.

14. elcibernetico24

Jun 28, 2008
    Club:
    CDSC Cruz Azul
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico

the majority of people knows that,its not a secret,thats the reason of all these minidebates,between the people who likes this way of doing things and the ones that doesnt like it.

personaly,i think there is no problem in making all the concacaf tourneys profitable, the problem is that concacaf takes that to the extreme,to them its all about money,they dont seek to improve the confederation futbolisticamente,and thats just wrong,if other confederations have found ways to make money and at the same time help to improve the level of the game in their regions, then why concacaf doesnt at least try to do the same, come on, at least concacaf should try to act like a real confederation,at least once.

15. The Marquis

The Marquis Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Washougal, WA
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I had heard that the CCL was created due to some pressure from FIFA that CONCACAF use the millions it has been given to create a large scale competition for clubs.

16. AdamSoucie

AdamSoucie New Member

Dec 20, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I believe you meant all Jack Warner cares about is money. I have to be an optimist and hope that others in CONCACAF actually want the region to raise its profile.

17. nfitz

nfitz Member

Aug 20, 2007
    Toronto

Anyone, anyone???

Anyone on topic? Anyone, anyone??

18. AdamSoucie

AdamSoucie New Member

Dec 20, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I'd guess the timeline would be similar. CONCACAF isn't always the most forthcoming (from what I understand) so we probably won't know when until it happens.

19. anewsoccerfan

anewsoccerfan Member

Apr 15, 2007
    Chapel Hill, NC

Hola,

Dos tercios del total de cupos para la próxima temporada de la Liga de Campeones han sido tomados, faltando solo ocho plazas para completar el total de 24 equipos de la Liga de Campeones de CONCACAF. Las plazas que restan por decidir incluyen dos de México y una de cada uno de los países: Costa Rica, El Salvador, Guatemala y Panamá, que deben determinarse en las próximas semanas. Canadá tambien tiene su plaza pendiente.

:)

20. nfitz

nfitz Member

Aug 20, 2007
    Toronto

I'd guess it would be similiar too ... but that means we'd have had the announcement about both last week.

21. jared9999

jared9999 Member+

Jan 3, 2005
    Naucalpan Estado de Mex
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico

if there aren't any surprises in the 2nd legs of the Mexican semifinals, The final looks to be Pumas vs Pachuca. If thats the case, then after America and Chivas, the next 4 biggest clubs in mexican football are going to be in the Champions League

Toluca
    Cruz Azul
    Pachuca
    Pumas

22. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia

Pumas will be playing in the CCL next year.

23. jared9999

jared9999 Member+

Jan 3, 2005
    Naucalpan Estado de Mex
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico

I would probably have preferred Puebla, we all know Ferreti doesn't care about winning international tournaments and will play reserves the whole tourney.

24. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I feel the same way, but at least it's a bit entertaining seeing a man who couldn't stand having to participate in CONCACAF having led his team right back into the tournament. Of course, if they don't win the Clausura, they're more then welcome to tank their prelim series against San Juan Jabloteh New England-style. We won't laugh, right? Right? :D:p

25. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia

Funny thing is unlike New England not only did Pumas win their prelim they then went out and won their group.