2008 U.S. Open Cup [R]

Discussion in 'US Open Cup' started by jeffconn, Oct 17, 2007.

1. GOALSeattle

GOALSeattle Member

Oct 13, 2007
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A little 'ode' to Seattle's advancement to the semis for a second straight year...

[youtube]e6wSGDppGY4[/youtube]

2. thanatos80

thanatos80 New Member

Aug 12, 2005
    Burien, WA
    Once again someone in the TA not getting their "facts" straight before spouting off. IF you had ever been to the Sounders offices, you would have noticed a sign, as you walk in, that has the current logo and underneath, the words "FOOTBALL CLUB"! The USL may not "officially" call them SSFC, but the club has been calling itself that, at least internally, since AH became managing partner.

3. The Marquis

The Marquis Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Washougal, WA
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You know around the time the name was decided for MLS, everybody on here was talking about how it "added the FC" to the current name. Funny how the story magically changes now that a Champions League spot is on the line. Typical Seattle.

4. thanatos80

thanatos80 New Member

Aug 12, 2005
    Burien, WA
    For once, we actually agree. USLLive won't show this match, but MLSlive.tv might. And according to the rev's website, all matches can be heard online, at revolutionsoccer.net. DCU's radio station, WFED, is also available online, but their website doesn't say if they stream DCU matches, or not.

5. The Marquis

The Marquis Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Washougal, WA
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Likely not for free on the MLSlive feed I'd imagine. Would be nice if they just gave that one away for free. Thanks for the info on the audio though.

6. thanatos80

thanatos80 New Member

Aug 12, 2005
    Burien, WA
    Typical portscum, spouting revisionist history. You sure you're not "big a" in disguise? Maybe you should go back, and look again. Not one, current, Sounders fan said a damn thing about "adding" the FC, since we all knew the club (and we) had been calling itself that for several years.
    But, you're welcome for the info on the REV/DCU match.

7. The Marquis

The Marquis Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Washougal, WA
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I may go back and look. Though it's not important enough to me to giev it much effort.

8. cleazer

cleazer Member+

May 6, 2003
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did you pay for the Dallas/Charleston game?

9. SeattleSupporter

Aug 17, 2004
    North Sound Ultra
    Seems to work pretty well for you guys in scumtownUSA.:D

10. RevHammerBat

RevHammerBat Member+

Jul 1, 2008
    London
    Club:
    Charleston
    So how bout that Battery team?...lol...not getting any love on the board what so ever...lol. We finally completed the Texas 2 step of MLS teams and no ones talking about it so i felt like i had to put some kind of comment on here for my boys.

Cant wait for Aug. 12....Blackbaud is going to be crazy

11. GOALSeattle

GOALSeattle Member

Oct 13, 2007
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was just thinking the same thing!

If we had to vote on the 'story of the tournament' so far, wouldn't it be the Battery's run?

12. RevHammerBat

RevHammerBat Member+

Jul 1, 2008
    London
    Club:
    Charleston
    I would say yes...lol..not to take anything away from CP Baltimore because they had a great run themselves and so has Seattle. But the last 2 rounds...playing with 9 men against Houston and winning and then beating Dallas' first team convincingly i'd have to say that's kind of a big deal...not to mention we are 3-1-1 against MLS this year (counting the Carolina Challenge Cup)

13. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not to look past Seattle, but now I'm rooting hard for a Charleston - DCU final. What the heck did y'all do to turn yourselves around so effectively from last year's team?

14. RevHammerBat

RevHammerBat Member+

Jul 1, 2008
    London
    Club:
    Charleston
    I know we've added some key players that have turned out to be awesome....not to mention last year we had the pieces but would say missed the piece on how to work as a team...this year everyone is working together and no matter who we put out there they still gel as a team...we've had some injuries but have managed to weather the storm. Patterson has been great. Alavanja, Armstrong, Spicer, Alonso have been equally as great and our defense has really stepped up. If we can string a couple road wins together (because we've played majority of our games at home so far) but i would def. say we're kind of the quiet team in the league and in the open cup....dunno why but we'll take it...lol

15. The Marquis

The Marquis Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Washougal, WA
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I'm stoked for Charleston. HELLA solid side and I am convinced have the best chance at the league title. I know where Charleston was last year because Portland feels that way this year. The pieces are of great quality, but they don't fit together. I'll be cheering the Battery on in this tournament (not because you're playing Seattle, but because it's living the dream.) Now fill Blackbaud!

16. RevHammerBat

RevHammerBat Member+

Jul 1, 2008
    London
    Club:
    Charleston
    The funny thing about Blackbaud is although it looks empty on the East side of the stands...its because everyone wants to sit on the "home side" which their isnt but want to sit in the West stands because thats where more people sit...lol. I had to tell a couple people that in line one time...lol. And on top of that most people are either walking around, up in the 3 Lions Pub, the Beer Garden, or in the catering party area....so it makes it look less packed...lol.

As long as the Riverdogs dont play any games then we fill up more...but our baseball team sucks so i dont know why everyone goes there...only guess because they ARE in downtown charleston and Blackbaud is not....only reason i can think of.

17. SeattleSupporter

Aug 17, 2004
    North Sound Ultra
    Congrats to the Battery for knocking off the Texas MLS contingent.

I think Blackbaud is a cool stadium, but it also seems very quiet.
    Is is against the rules to make noise in the stands? :D

18. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Blackbaud seems very quite on the USL broadcast. I think most of that come with the fact that the announcers from the broadcast are inside behind a double pane window. You will hear the crowd every now and then but it definately isnt that quiet (we're no portland though!). Try as I might, I usually can't hear E10 (far side from the Broadcast booth) on the replays, regardless loud we are.

The match against Houston was one of the loudest nights I have ever heard Blackbaud. The West stands (the majority of our "prawn sandwich" crowd) was even chanting at one time.

I expect a decent crowd for the Seattle match, but the fact that it is mid week and not a MLS club, it wont have the draw that a DC or NE match would have had.

Now if the Battery reach the Finals.....

19. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    the Dallas feed was free and it still archive on their site.
    http://fc.dallas.mlsnet.com/t104/

it on the left side in th FCD TV section

20. GOALSeattle

GOALSeattle Member

Oct 13, 2007
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How much do you guess the Battery will bid for the right to host the final?

You guys bid something north of 30k to host this round with Seattle...

21. RevHammerBat

RevHammerBat Member+

Jul 1, 2008
    London
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nah the only problem is...most of the noise making happens on the East side, the cameras are on the West, and the West side is too "cool" (only word i could think of...lol) to chant, stomp their feet, or anything else.

22. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

the cameras arent mic'd though the only mics are in the broadcast both

23. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I havent heard an amount.

30K seems like alot at first, but looking at the numbers, selling 3,000 seats at $10 (the cheapest) and the Battery would break even.
    that doesnt count any concessions, parking or other sales.

Owning and controlling your own stadium and controlling its revenue is a huge advantage when bidding to host USOC matches,

24. RevHammerBat

RevHammerBat Member+

Jul 1, 2008
    London
    Club:
    Charleston
    true but doesnt help when the crowd is silent on the side that does have the mic's. We should start recruting people from E-9...maybe get 2 sections going...lol

25. GIO17

GIO17 Member

Nov 29, 1998
    I thought the real reason was that the Riverdogs are affilliated with the New York Yankees. :D