2008 Other Team's News, Thread IV [R]

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by patfan1, Oct 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Crooked

Crooked Member+

May 1, 2005
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Giving those ESPN updates or whatever is certainly different than advertising midmatch, but I agree they're both annoying. I thought you were referring to the side by side commercials they would run for Sierra Mist a couple years ago.

2. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The ESPN updates while the game is going on is worse than ads. At least an ad brings in money, but I never want to go back to the bad old days when soccer on TV always meant random ads, and you'd hold your breath that you wouldn't miss a goal. It would happen often enough -- the only goal of the Italy-Ireland WC game in 1990 for example.

As annoying as the constant chatter of that bottom scroll is, I much prefer that to breaking in the middle of the game for "news" updates that could easily enough wait until halftime.

But what do you expect, ESPN hates soccer :p

3. The_Drizzle

The_Drizzle New Member

May 17, 2006
    Kwassa Kwassa
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can't they just project a logo or something onto the pitch with the same technology that they use for the first down and line of scrimmage lines?

I mean they could just throw down a Dick's logo for like 30 seconds or whatever and just do it like every ten minutes. It would bring in something, and I believe the technology is in place. Someone feel free to correct me if that's wrong or I'm sounding like an idiot. ;)

4. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They do that stuff in other parts of the world, but not usually directly on the field. Most of the time it's directly to the sides of the goal just behind the end line. I went to a Bundesliga game and noticed later when they showed the highlights on TV that there were ads visible when in the stadium there was nothing but pristine grass.

5. Crooked

Crooked Member+

May 1, 2005
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    No matter what sport you're watching, ESPN does their update, whether it's Monday Night Football or billiards. I agree, it sucks and takes away from the game and your viewing, however, that's one thing MLS had to expect when entering a contract with ESPN. I myself think it's better to have national TV exposure on ESPN with ads and little annoying quirks, rather than having all of our games on FSC where fewer people have access to watch.

6. ftruscot

ftruscot Member

Feb 20, 2002
    Franklin, MA
    I'm pretty sure FIFA discourages this somewhere in their rules. That's why you see it projected just off the end lines, but not on the field of play.

Actually, here's the language from FIFA's 2008/2009 Laws of the Game, page 57:
    This is for any official competition under the auspices of FIFA, one of its confederations, or national associations. They also have laws concerning advertising on the ball and players' undergarments.

I'm not sure how NFL logos and other stuff painted for football games in a shared stadium are handled, but it might just be considered advertising, putting the Revs in direct violation of FIFA. Or maybe there is some kind of waiver...

7. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Member+

SSC Napoli
    Feb 16, 1999
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's a new one to me. I definitely remember seeing ads projected virtually on the center circle for games on Univision in the past, they'd be there right up until the whistle blew.

8. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, I think it is OK before and after the game, maybe halftime, but not while the ball is in play. This is similar to the NHL where some arenas play music at stoppages, but stop as soon as the puck is dropped.

The difference between ESPN doing quick updates in an NFL game is that they don't take a break from the game right as the QB is getting set under the center in a 3rd and 1 situation. They will at least wait until a normal stoppage, a time when they'd normally have a commercial. Of course, we don't have them until halftime.

9. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This thread is getting up to 500 posts, and it's also for 2008. So ... thread closed. The new 2009 thread will go up immediately.