2008 In-Season Roster Moves

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by Dom. FC, Apr 8, 2008.

1. Dom. FC

Dom. FC Member+

May 10, 2004
    Central US
    As the locked and stickied thread has it:

Senior:
    1 - Mehdi Ballouchy - Midfielder - Int
    2 - Jose Luis Burciaga Jr - Defender
    3 - Conor Casey - Forward
    4 - Colin Clark - Midfielder
    5 - Terry Cooke - Midfielder - Int
    6 - Bouna Coundoul - Goalkeeper - Int
    7 - Omar Cummings - Forward - Int
    8 - Facundo Erpen - Defender - Int
    9 - Dan Gargan - Defender
    10 - Rafael Gomes - Midfielder - Int
    11 - Christian Gomez - Midfielder - Int
    12 - Herculez Gomez - Forward
    13 - Jordan Harvey - Defender
    14 - Ugo Ihemelu - Defender
    15 - Stephen Keel - Defender
    16 - Jovan Kirovski - Forward
    17 - Pablo Mastroeni - Midfielder
    18 - Mike Petke - Defender

Developmental:
    19 - Nico Colaluca - Midfielder
    20 - John DiRaimondo - Midfielder
    21 - Mike Graczyk - Goalkeeper
    22 - Brian Grazier - Midfielder
    23 - Justin Hughes - Goalkeeper
    24 - Nick LaBrocca - Midfielder
    25 - Ciaran O'Brien - Midfielder
    26 - Jacob Peterson - Forward
    27 - Tim Ward - Defender
    28 - Cesar Zambrano - Defender

XX - Kosuke Kimura - Defender

Petke and Casey to injured reserve, Tammy-gunner (?) in, Gray in, others?

I'm trying to be helpful here, maybe use this thread as scratch-paper to list what we know from our collective memory and update the 'real' roster thread, and then let this one sink?

2. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kosuke Kimura is part of the official roster.

Mike Graczyk - Goalkeeper is a MLS Pool keeper, so not officially on the Rapids' roster.

Petke and Casey are on IR until at least May 10th so we currently have two extra roster spots.

Tam Tam the Hitman hasn't been officially announced so he isn't shown as a member of the 28 man roster. Someone will have to be waived to make room.

3. smudgeyjoe

smudgeyjoe Member

Dec 15, 2001
    Westminster Colorado
    I am assuming that someone to be waived would have to come from the senior 18, but I also assumed that my hair would grow uncontrollably when I turned 60. If someone has to be waived, is there conjecture as to who might be a likely candidate?

4. jsonn25

jsonn25 New Member

Apr 5, 2007
    Sterling, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Simply a guess, but given the lack of playing time and the depth on the "back line" - I would say Jordan Harvey.

5. teddy_montoya

teddy_montoya RapidsThugLife

Nov 9, 2006
    Supporters Terrace
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can we sticky this, and can we also make this a rumor thread....

6. teddy_montoya

Nov 9, 2006
    Supporters Terrace
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So is there any luck we can trade for somone else's DP. Maybe give up Pablo and Medhi for a DP slot. Or something.... Lets just get one, so we can get him.....

PLEASE......

Barcelona open to offers for Henry - report
    http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=523906&cc=5901

Although there are rumors that Seattle wants him badly. That way they have a DP once their season opens up...

7. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Teddy, don't be fool yourself, KSE isn't spending that kind of money on this team.

8. teddy_montoya

Nov 9, 2006
    Supporters Terrace
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe this is wha they need. Maybe KSE would see this as a perfect oppurtunity to pack the house every game. IMO he would hands down be the best talent the MLS has ever seen. Then it would be up to the Rapids to market him and sell those seats. After that it is all on Thierry Herny.

Sure this maybe a little dream, but hey....
    How many people thought David Beckham would come....

9. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To LA? A lot more people than thought he'd ever come to the Rapids. Henry is out of MLS' league, let alone the Rapids'. Sure, it is nice to dream but don't let it get your hopes up.

To play off the Rapids' use of Marcelo Balboa shaving his head (which he isn't): I'll shave my head at midfield if the Rapids sign Thierry Henry. You can take that to the bank, Marcus. :)

10. teddy_montoya

Nov 9, 2006
    Supporters Terrace
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think so, here is an article on Henry and Seattle....

http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2008...-in-advanced-negotiations-with-thierry-henry/

11. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I know. But MLS isn't going to be the only suitor, so until he is in the blue and green next summer, I'll continue to say he is out of MLS' league.

12. Denvercal

Denvercal New Member

Feb 1, 2007
    Northglenn
    Here is a quote from Mr. Henry in Major League Soccer Magazine, March 2008 Edition, page 11. I believe its from the SI article.

"I just love America, everything about it. The way you think, the sports - basketball, american football - there is always some sport to watch, something to do. Since I was young, I've always had it in the back of my mind that I wanted to live there. Some players want to finish their careers in Australia, the Middle East, or back at the club where they started. For me, its America. I don't know when its going to happen, I just know I've been wanting to do this since I was young"

I'm sure Commerce City isn't the America he's been dreaming of though.

13. teddy_montoya

Nov 9, 2006
    Supporters Terrace
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think he will be in America by ethier next year or '10. I wouldn't be shocked though if he comes in the summer tranfer period....

There is also another intresting article published today. It involves another top tier player coming to the MLS. This one though is a more serious rumor. Roman Riquelme is bieng pursued by MLS, and they have offered him $15million dollars. The only question is to what team will he be going to....

http://espndeportes.espn.go.com/news/story?id=666443&s=gen&type=story

Translated into English....

The playmaker of Boca Juniors receives an offer of $15,000,000 from MLS, which wants to allocate him to a team in the league.

MLS is an single-entity system, since its governing body is the one that hires the players and then later distributing them among the different clubs, making the competition more stable.

For example, Englishman David Beckham, the Mexican Cuauhtemoc Blanco and the Argentines Marcelo Gallardo and Schelotto play for different teams, but the contracts were offered directly to the players. (They were free transfers)

Therefore this offer, extremely tempting to Riquelme, has the obstacle of Boca Juniors, somehting that, for example, Claudio Lopez did not have less than a month ago when he was added to MLS after being released by Racing Club.

The report originated from this monday's Télam in Guadalajara, where Boca will play Atlas in the Copa Libertadores.

Again could we possibly be that team he can be allocated too.....
    Sounds FUN....

14. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not without a DP slot, and I don't see us trading for one. Pablo alone wouldn't get us one IMO.

15. ManU62280

ManU62280 New Member

Dec 2, 2004
    Colorado
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Time for the Riquelme rumor again. Seems like this pops up every 4-6 months. The FO feels that they have thrown enough money into the team with getting CG. RIQUELEME IS NOT COMING TO COLORADO...PERIOD

16. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Senior:
    1 - Mehdi Ballouchy - Midfielder - Int
    2 - Jose Luis Burciaga Jr - Defender
    3 - Conor Casey - Forward - IR
    4 - Colin Clark - Midfielder
    5 - Terry Cooke - Midfielder - Int
    6 - Bouna Coundoul - Goalkeeper - Green Card
    7 - Omar Cummings - Forward - Int
    8 - Facundo Erpen - Defender - Int
    9 - Rafael Gomes - Midfielder - Int
    10 - Christian Gomez - Midfielder - Int
    11 - Herculez Gomez - Forward
    12 - Kelly Gray - Def/Mid
    13 - Jordan Harvey - Defender
    14 - Ugo Ihemelu - Defender
    15 - Stephen Keel - Defender
    16 - Jovan Kirovski - Forward
    17 - Pablo Mastroeni - Midfielder
    18 - Tam McManus - Forward - Int
    19 - Jacob Peterson - Forward
    20 - Mike Petke - Defender - IR

Developmental:
    21 - Nico Colaluca - Midfielder
    22 - John DiRaimondo - Midfielder
    23 - Brian Grazier - Midfielder
    24 - Justin Hughes - Goalkeeper
    25 - Kosuke Kimura - Defender - Int
    26 - Nick LaBrocca - Midfielder
    27 - Ciaran O'Brien - Midfielder
    28 - Tim Ward - Defender
    29 - Cesar Zambrano - Defender

Updated based on today's moves and the great thread in N&A with all the team rosters:
    https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=675418&page=3

As you can see, the Rapids have 20 senior players, and only 18 slots. On May 10th when Casey and Petke come off Ir 2 players will have to be cut. My money is on Harvey and Gray, but Ballouchy is porbably looking over his shoulder.

They only have 9 of 10 development slots filled, so they could pick up another development player after waiving Scott Campbell today.

17. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    Jacob Peterson's in his 3rd year and is now a senior player (not a GA this year; http://houston.mlsnet.com/players/roster.jsp?club=t101&sort=status&order=dsc). Was he on the bench for either of the first 2 games?

Might the Rapids be ready to trade one one of these guys for a developmental player? FCD's Abdus Ibrahim? Someone else?

18. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Peterson and Gray were listed in the available subs for both games, and Harvey was in KC but no available for the opener. Ballouchy hasn't made a game day lineup yet.

I figured with our lack of strikers and his decent play last year that Peterson is probably safe. Seeing that Ballouchy hasn't made a lineup yet, maybe he's in more danger than I thought...

19. Waterboy14

Waterboy14 Member

Mar 29, 2006
    Ok, first problem...no DP. Second problem, the stadium is mostly full. So you can back into the math. 3,000 empty seats X $30/ticket x 15 games = $1.4 million. YOu might be able to throw on a little extra for some shirt sales and few extra sausages on a stick. Anyway, seems to me that this is the max a team would pay for a DP until the television money and other forms of revenue start to really ramp up.

20. Dom. FC

Dom. FC Member+

May 10, 2004
    Central US
    Good points about DPs. Also for all that money you might spend on one to fill seats, half of the time they are other team's seats.

I still think a roster thread, probably with a sticky - something I for one won't ever say casually - would be a good thing. If it is controlled (locked?) by the moderators it can be updated as appropriate yet avoid the 'If I hold my breath and dance on one foot I think we can get player XXYZ because he is sooooooo famous, not to mention dreamy ... blah, blah, blah' commentary. Not to say that can't be fun but a separate 'official' roster thread might be cleaner without it. Again for brevity and clarity if one of the moderators would start it with the roster as of todays announcements that could be a point of departure for changes that are yet to come (May 10th will bring at least one if I'm not mistaken).