2008-09 CONCACAF Champions League - Preliminary Round [R]

Discussion in 'CONCACAF Champions Cup' started by Nico Limmat, Jul 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Monstruo*Morado

Monstruo*Morado Red Card

Sep 4, 2008
    Amazing how MLS fans still try to excuse having 2nd Division teams in your continent's supposedly premier competition and losing 6-1, 5-1, and 3-0 aggregates.

2. elcibernetico24

Jun 28, 2008
    Club:
    CDSC Cruz Azul
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico

yeah, well, just because MLS fans, not all, doesnt take pride on their teams , and doesnt really care about this game, i mean just loooking at the people who goes to the stadiums you can see theyre not real futbol fans,PURE BORING PEOPLE (THATS WHY YOU DONT CARE THE WORLD DOESNT TAKES CONCACAF SERIOUSLY)THANK GOD NOT ALL OF US ARE LIKE THAT, SOME OF US REALLY WANT THIS CRAPPY TOURNEYS TO IMPROVE AND SOME OF US ARE REAL FANS OF THIS GAME, BESIDES, YOU LIKE IT THIS WAY BECAUSE CONCACAF ALWAYS FAVORS USA,mls gets 4 spots like la primera division (one way or another and thats a fact) WHAT HAS THE MLS DONE TO HAVE THE SAME SPOTS AS THE MEXICAN LEAGUE ?, but the mexican teams that ALSO played the preliminary round won , thats why there are still 4 mexican teams left,and i did not made that rule up, all the important tournaments of the world works that way, but of course the mls fans doesnt like when someone points out the truth about how concacaf always tries to help the MLS and the USA federation.and thats a fact,whetehr you like it or not, mls is nowhere near la primera division to deserve the same spots.:cool:

3. Intru

Intru Member

Mar 16, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Puerto Rico Islanders
    Its your continent to, o es que eres un tico wanaby de europa o asia o donde sea? Los mios hicieron lo que tenian que hacer para cualificar, los Islanders tienen que pasar por tres diferente etapas qualificatorias solo para llegar a la etapa grupal, so to no es tan simple como tu mete te lo hace creer "mae".

4. elcibernetico24

Jun 28, 2008
    Club:
    CDSC Cruz Azul
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    yeah you would love that,isnt it,you would like that no one would point out the favoritisim of concacafs president and vicpresident for mls and the USA federation, and belize went with a team of their own league,did not fare too well but at least they are trying to create their own league, AND THAT DESERVES MY RESPECT, so why puerto rico and canada cant do the same,and im not gonna go and im always gonna point out the fact that mls doesnt deserve any special treatment. :cool:

5. Monstruo*Morado

Monstruo*Morado Red Card

Sep 4, 2008
    Que ************ hablas?

Utilize algo que se llama "Escuela" y despues vuelva porque no se le entiende nada de lo que esta tratando de decir.

6. elcibernetico24

Jun 28, 2008
    Club:
    CDSC Cruz Azul
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    orale contigo pero no te voy a ofender igual por que ami siempre me tratan de hechar de aqui amonestandome no entendi bien pero creo que al final me quisiste ofender), fijate que soy mexicano carnal....y yo no trato de ser europeo solo trato de que concacaf sea justa y deje de favorecer a estados unidos y mejore este chafa y lamentable torneo,pero si belize manda equipos de su propia liga y esta tratando de hacer crecer su liga ,belize merece mi todo respeto por eso, aunque no le alla ido bien , por que ustedes no pueden hacer lo mismo?

7. MannieG

MannieG Member+

Nov 30, 2006
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Favor de utilizar esa misma "escuala" y educacion, para q no solo puedas aprender a deletrear la palabra ESCUELA, pero tambien para q puedas comprender la applicacion del contexto en la conversacion. So la irnoia fuera mango...tu serias un liquado liquado grande...Imbecil. No mas hay dos mongolos q usan esa ************ de "escuela" y "educacion", son el Feno y el Gethomas. Les digo, estos bueyes se caen solitos...:rolleyes:

8. MannieG

MannieG Member+

Nov 30, 2006
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nel, wey...su comentario fue para el monstruo morado.El q puso antes de ti.

9. elcibernetico24

Jun 28, 2008
    Club:
    CDSC Cruz Azul
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico

IM 100% MEXICAN,SOY 100% MEXICANO, and dont start ofending nationalities,cause this is not about racism.

10. elcibernetico24

Jun 28, 2008
    Club:
    CDSC Cruz Azul
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico

a ok entonces me disculpo

11. MannieG

MannieG Member+

Nov 30, 2006
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Perdon, no es para ofender pero, eres inalfabeto...o no mas te vale madre?

Este fue el comentario a q estaba respondiendo ese wey...

12. Monstruo*Morado

Monstruo*Morado Red Card

Sep 4, 2008
    It is useless, man.

It is that US mentality that I see everyday: who cares about everyone else as long as I am the one benefiting the most.

I must shed a tear for the countless of other teams & leagues in the region (i.e. Herediano, Brujas, Liberia, Olimpia, Marathon, Motagua, Metapan, Defense Force) that didn't participate in this thing because CONCACAF is in love with MLS. They all would have done 100x better then that papelon that Revolution did. That includes the other papelones of Houston Dynamo vs Saprissa, DC United vs Pumas, and San Jose Earthquakes vs Alajuelense.

If CONCACAF is so focused on MLS winning this thing, stop forcing other teams to go. If someone does not want to participate, why have them here in the first place. Saprissa right now could have been facing Arsenal de Sarandi. Instead, we are playing DC United (who?) and there goes all that experience that we could have taken from taking on real teams.

I feel sorry for the Mexican teams also. To actually be torn from winning either your league or somehow manuever yourself to finish in a position to get in the Copa Libertadores & Copa Sudamericana is already bad enough. But to have another league get as many spots as you for doing nothing? On top of it, as well as having their 2nd division teams being able to participate.

By no means I am trying to degrade the rest of the teams in the region. Good job, Puerto Rico Islanders, you beat las gatas. But at the same time, I do believe I can speak for a majority here in saying that we are simply tired of the constant favoritism that CONCACAF gives to MLS. It was somewhat fine in the 90's when it was trying to kick start but now it is getting ridiculous.

CONCACAF seems to have money to throw around to get this crappy tournament going. If they have time for creating mickey mouse tournaments like the Gold Cup and this CCL, I am sure they have time to allow a different nation host this thing. It doesn't take a lot to host a Gold Cup.

Or how about helping Puerto Rico & Canada get freaking leagues? Belize, which is not exactly one of the richest nations in the world, has a league and I applaud that, I don't care how Hankook Verdes did. I applaud their effort. I really can't applaud hand-me-downs.

I have been asking any CONCACAF official for the past 6 months what kind of criteria is CONCACAF using to allocate these slots. Most have ignored the question and others responded to me that they don't know what the CCL is.

I will personally be watching the CCL games that MLS are involved. With the elimination of the other 2, I will be willing to bet there will be some "controversial" refereeing to allow them to make it far in the tournament. Most likely, they will use the elimination round draws to also keep the MFL & MLS teams apart.

But back to the main point...if CONCACAF wants MLS to win this so bad, simply have the CCL full of MLS & USL teams. If anyone else wants to go, be more then welcome, I will not hold it against you.

But don't force others that deserve better to attend.

13. Bujias

Bujias Member

May 4, 2007
    Mexico, GDL.
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Gethomas wasn't that diplomatic and didnt make so much sense, this guy knows what he's talking about repped.

14. elcibernetico24

Jun 28, 2008
    Club:
    CDSC Cruz Azul
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    no soy "inalfabeto", i si es por ofender,yo tambien uso ese termino aveces y se que cuando se dice es realmente pa ofender :rolleyes: pero ya no quiero entrar en mas peleas por que en los meses pasados a cada rato me amonestaban y por eso deje un rato este foro, si te refieres a mi forma de escribir el ingles yo estoy llendo a la escuela aprender ingles, y lo estoy perfeccionano en este tipo de foros , por que no tengo con quien practicarlo aqui donde vivo,aunque francamente si me vale madre despues de todo soy mexicano ,no estadounidense.

15. elcibernetico24

Jun 28, 2008
    Club:
    CDSC Cruz Azul
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico

you are right,man,they think they deserve everything,mexico,costarica or maybe a couple of central american nations combined could easely organize the gold cup.

16. Monstruo*Morado

Monstruo*Morado Red Card

Sep 4, 2008
    Thanks.

I know a common problem in this region has been lack of interest but it is not going to get that much better when you keep giving one league favor after favor.

All of our continental tournaments are viewed as a joke for that reason.

For example, I am pretty sure all of Trinidad & Tobago was proud of the way Joe Public represented. The same with Puerto Rico and I am sure a lot of people from those two nations will watch the group stages.

Canada needs to get a league or have their teams play in MLS or USL or whatever. There is no excuse at all when we have nations with modest financial grounds having leagues and not getting a single spot guaranteed while Canada gets one. That is a pure slap on the face for the ones who do have leagues and is just another form of blatant favoritism.

Puerto Rico Islanders, after giving it a second thought, should be allowed to play in the CCL only IF they will only qualify thorough the CFU Club Championship. In case any CFU team that plays its league games with USL win the USOC, that slot should be given to the next highest ranking team that is not part of CFU. You can't have two ways to get in. It is either one or the other and that will be fair to everyone else.

Slot allocation? It is still too early to adjust anything major but it is definetly agreed that at least one of MLS's spots should be taken away. Costa Rica has earned 3 slots for what we have done in the past decade or so. One series is not going to change that. That is the difference between MLS & Costa Rica.

17. Monstruo*Morado

Monstruo*Morado Red Card

Sep 4, 2008
    We are getting a bit off topic but I will answer this post.

Costa Rica can host a Gold Cup. By 2009, we will have 3 stadiums capable of doing so and we can easily reformat another one to make it 4. Four stadiums is all you need to do it, anyway. I am pretty sure fans from Central America will come and we have a large Caribbean and Gringo community here that will attend the games. I am not sure about Mexicans though.

The region needs to make money, yes. But at the same time, we don't want to favoritize anyone, right? So how about we alternate hosts from North America, Central America, and the Caribbean?

Trinidad & Tobago has hosted the 1971 CONCACAF Championship, 8 of the 15 Caribbean Cup, and the 2001 U-17 World Cup.

Haiti hosted the 1973 CONCACAF Championship.

Mexico has hosted the World Cup in 1970 & 1986 as well as the Confederations Cup in 1999, the CONCACAF tournaments of 1977, 1993, & 2003, the U-20 World Cup in 1983, and the Panamerican Games of 1955 & 1975 as well as the Olympics in 1968. To add to that, they were chosen to host the 2011 U-17 World Cup.

We got other nations that have hosted major events so I don't want to hear about capabilities or some BS like that.

It is time for CONCACAF to get off MLS's dick.

18. I-Got-The-BLUES

May 1, 2006
    Orlando, Florida.
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    Puerto Rico DOES have its own league, it's currently in it's first season.

19. I-Got-The-BLUES

May 1, 2006
    Orlando, Florida.
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    I see where you're coming from a bit now.
    I'm not 100% sure, but I believe The Puerto Rico Islanders ONLY qualify through the CFU. But if they are eligible to qualify through the USL, THEN that would definitely be unfair, and I would whole heartily be against that. But as it stands I'm sure it's only through the CFU Club Championships (but that's something to look into).

But I think we need to stop looking at it as: why does the MLS have this amount of teams? and the USL has this amount of teams?
    Unlike UEFA, where spots are allocated by league, the allocations here are done by country/region
    US / Mexico - 4
    Caribbean - 3
    Costa Rica / El Salvador / Guatemala / Panama / Honduras - 2
    Canada / Belize / Nicaragua - 1

If you want to argue the slot allocation, that's fine...but to say Montreal or Puerto Rico shouldn't be in it because they play in the USL is unfair.
    But again, like I said, I would agree with you if Montreal & Puerto Rico had 2 ways to get in and everyone else had one, but as of now, I don't think that's the case.

20. I-Got-The-BLUES

May 1, 2006
    Orlando, Florida.
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    Now this I agree with, I still have yet to understand the reasoning behind the Hosting exclusivity of the US of the Gold Cup (ohhh..well they did give Mexico a few matches a few years ago....:rolleyes:)

21. Monstruo*Morado

Monstruo*Morado Red Card

Sep 4, 2008
    In UEFA (and you can say the same for South America) it is allocated by performances, not how big is a country (dumbest standard I have ever heard).

Then they should get leagues. It is completely preposterous to have Canada get a slot while other nations that do have leagues don't even get 1 guaranteed. That is just as blatant as you could get.

For now though, this should be it for next year:

Mexico - 4 (2/2)
    Costa Rica - 3 (1/2)
    MLS* - 3 (1/2)
    --------------
    CFU - 3 (1/3)
    Panama - 2 (1/2)
    Honduras -2 (1/2)
    TBD^

----------------------
    Guatemala^ - TBD (TBD)
    El Salvador^ - TBD (TBD)
    Nicaragua - 1 (0/1)
    Belize - 1 (0/1)

*Includes Canada playing in USL

22. Dr. Know

Dr. Know Member+

Dec 5, 2005
    Macondo
    That is correct. And the only way other US based USL teams could qualify for this tournament is if one of them won the US Open Cup something which hasn't happened since 1999. Neither Puerto Rico nor the Canadian USL teams (Vancouver and Montreal) participate in that Cup since it's only for US based clubs.

So unless a USL team wins that tournament the ONLY USL teams we'll ever see in the CONCACAF Champions League are the Canadian ones or Puerto Rico.

23. I-Got-The-BLUES

May 1, 2006
    Orlando, Florida.
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    I do agree that number of slots should be allocated by performance.
    I'm not going to argue the number of slots, as we'd have to have a set time frame...maybe success based on the past 5 years maybe?

Anyways, you have countries listed, and then you have the MLS.
    So you're saying your fine with Toronto FC being the only Canadian team that can qualify for the Champions League? And seeing as the MLS feels that promotion/relegation is such a bad idea :)rolleyes:), the likes of Montreal or Vancouver won't ever have a shot at entering the tournament.
    Again, if The Canadian Championship is the only way Toronto, Vancouver or Montreal can get in, I don't see why it's a problem that Canada gets one qualification spot. Canada is apart of CONCACAF, and Toronto FC isn't Canada, so I feel Canada should get their 1 slot.

(Oh...and the Caribbean, shouldn't get any guaranteed spots, we haven't had any of our clubs do anything since the late 80s:p)

24. Monstruo*Morado

Monstruo*Morado Red Card

Sep 4, 2008
    If Belize, Cuba, and Haiti, which are not the wealthiest of countries and the sport is not the most popular, has professional leagues, then Canada should get a league before asking for a spot.

25. aguimarães

aguimarães Member

Apr 19, 2006
    Club:
    LD Alajuelense
    The Belizian league isn´t fully professional, and I doubt the Cuban and Hatian leagues are, although I could be wrong. I believe the definition of professional means you´re paid enough to live off without having to work a second job.