2007 update: Supporters in NYC

Discussion in 'Supporters Abroad' started by DCAustinite, Mar 23, 2007.

1. DCAustinite

DCAustinite New Member

Jan 14, 2003
    NE DC in my heart -
    Club:
    DC United
    Okay, NYC supporters. Now that most games are televised it's time I think to consider a bar besides Nevada Smiths to watch the games at. We're always pretty low proirity soccer-wise there (though they are friendly and helpful), and I think we have an opportunity here to create a DC United bar in new york, much like there are Man U and Liverpool bars in almost every major city.

I know of Manchester at 49th and 2nd, conveniently located near the hub of grand central, that will show every game they can for us, and even hang up a banner or two.

Thoughts?

Shoutouts?

How many are there of us?

2. nancyb

nancyb Member

Jun 30, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Plans for the CD Guadalajara game by any chance?

3. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Is the return leg on a Tuesday? I may join you guys in the city for it then.

4. degerron

degerron New Member

Feb 18, 2006
    Queens
    I just PM Nancyb about Stout NYC but I think it maybe a ESC spot for this coming season since they had. The 49th street spot is good for me since I'm coming in from Queens. However Stout NYC on 33rd Street is easy to get to for almost anyone so it all depends.

As for the April 3rd CCC Stout NYC or some other place? I'm down for whatever places gets people to show up.

5. nancyb

nancyb Member

Jun 30, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's Tuesday at 9:30.

6. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    Keep us posted.

7. lfcli30

lfcli30 Member

Jun 21, 2005
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Stout is ESC's NY bar. All away match viewings are there, and we've hosted 6 events this offseason already there as well, including the US-Guat game this evening.

8. degerron

degerron New Member

Feb 18, 2006
    Queens
    I looked up the Empire Supporters Club's website and they did state that Stout is their meeting place for NYRB away games so I guess that decides things for us on that spot at least as the regular season goes. We can still meet their for Tuesday night's game or.... is it this "Manchester" bar for the Tuesday night April 3rd 2nd leg vs Chivas? Please say if this is or is not a good bar for you?

Personally I'm leaning toward this Manchester only b/c I would like to check this place out now so we can establish if this is a good place or not for the regular season. Manchester bar for Tuesday April 3rd? Vote now please:)

9. degerron

degerron New Member

Feb 18, 2006
    Queens

We are just a handful of DCU people trying to find a spot in the City I mean no disrespect to ESC, we just don't have the benefit of being an organize group like ESC. I respect ESC and don't want to step on you guys toes. I use to go to your US viewing parties at Nathan Hale's. Stout is a nice spot and it was great watching the US match with you all on sunday. I think I'll try to be there tonight to see how BB's experimential line up works out. Thats after I watch NYC's own Garberial Ferrari on US Soccer's match access play for the Under 20's vs. the full Haitian national team.

As for us DCU people it would be a good idea to have our own home bar for all our games regular season, CCC, or Superliga, is the Manchester bar on 49th and 2nd Ave good for all?

10. NYAustinite

NYAustinite Member

May 9, 2005
    LIC
    I can testify to Manchester as a good place to watch games - DCAustinite and I have spent many a Saturday morning in the company of some fiery bloody marys and amiable bartenders. It's a small place, but not all that full on a Tuesday night, I would think. I vote for it for the Chivas game next week. DCAustinite will, unfortunately, be out of town.

11. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    I don't live in NYC, but I spent the night in a Holiday Inn Express this past weekend. :)

There's a realatively new bar in Murray Hill (36th between 5th and Madison) called the Galway Hooker. Good pub food, good beer. Sports bar. I watched the G-town/UNC game there, and they had the Telemundo broadcast of Mexico-Paraguay going on one of the bar TV's. I got to curse Bofo and Borghetti several times. They've got multiple TV's and several rooms in addition to the big main screen. Don't know what the channel selection is like but it may be worth a look to see if they are soccer friendly.

Thx,

Jay!

Here's the bar's website. Sort of under construction.

12. DCAustinite

DCAustinite New Member

Jan 14, 2003
    NE DC in my heart -
    Club:
    DC United
    Bah! Tuesday night is the only night they have live music. Though I will be out of town, I vote for the new place that guy mentioned. Galway Hooker. You know they've got to show rugby with a name like that. And rugby is jsut soccer for fat guys can't use their feet. I keed.

13. lfcli30

lfcli30 Member

Jun 21, 2005
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No problem man.

Tonights viewing got switched over to The Pinch since it's a midweek game.
    237 Sullivan St.
    at 3rd St.

14. NYAustinite

NYAustinite Member

May 9, 2005
    LIC
    I'm all for the Hooker, if I can convince my girlfriend that everything is on the up and up.

15. Q*bert Jones III

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    While the location is sub-optimal for me (I'm in the Village), I'd certainly go.

My only comment is that Nevada Smith's has always had screens for DCU games. There's often DCU folks there since it's become the de facto downtown soccer bar. Those people who aren't on this forum (meaning: most people) will continue to go there, I think.

16. nancyb

nancyb Member

Jun 30, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I figure just about anyplace will work for me. If we can settle on a spot by Monday, that's best as I don't know whether I'll be computer accessible on Tuesday.

17. gocaps

gocaps Member

Sep 23, 2000
    With the SEs in 134
    The SEs are working on bar coordination for a number of viewing spots outside DC through our regiments. If you live in an area and are a member of the SEs, you're part of that local regiment. The NYC area has (IIRC) a regiment chair already. Stay tuned.

18. DCAustinite

DCAustinite New Member

Jan 14, 2003
    NE DC in my heart -
    Club:
    DC United
    NYAustinite and myself are both SEs.

My goal here was to take a soccer-friendly bar, but one not exclusively soccer and not as busy as Nevada's or likely to have ESCs and make it our own. I figure in a years' time we could have a regular 10-15 for each televised game and that would give us leverage at a place like Manchester or Hookers. Those are good choices because they are convenient to everyone (Brooklyn, Queens, Manhattan). Also, if we pull from connecticut upstate, etc for big games, Grand central is the line they'll come in on.

I suggest next that we talk to manchester (NYAustinite and myself) and Hookers (who volunteers?) to explain that we might have a regular well-paying group who wants to watch the games, see how they respond and go for it. NYAustinite and myself have worked bar before and can tell you that an average bar would kill for a regular, educated, expensive beer drinking and well-tipping crowd that all they have to do to make happy is turn on the TV.

Meanwhile, for Tuesday, I nominate Hookers.

As for Nevada's we will all continue to go there for other games and will pick off the stray United boys once we have a solid bar.

Now, roll call for tuesday at Hooker's (or backup Nevada Smiths)

I'm out but can be counted on for all others.

19. nancyb

nancyb Member

Jun 30, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Count me in for Tuesday.

20. NYAustinite

NYAustinite Member

May 9, 2005
    LIC
    I'm in for Tuesday. Considering the neighborhood, I'll probably be the only one with a beard.

21. degerron

degerron New Member

Feb 18, 2006
    Queens
    See you all on Tuesday at the hooker's spot:p !

22. Q*bert Jones III

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    I'll be in my lucky 'Cat In The Hat' jersey.

23. degerron

degerron New Member

Feb 18, 2006
    Queens
    I'll be the bald head guy with glasses in the DCU 04/05 jersey,

24. nancyb

nancyb Member

Jun 30, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll be the short, middle aged woman with glasses and gray hair.

25. DCAustinite

DCAustinite New Member

Jan 14, 2003
    NE DC in my heart -
    Club:
    DC United
    I'll be the guy 3,000 miles away wishing he was there.