2007 CONCACAF Champions Cup (MLS Edition) [R]

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by Onionsack, Feb 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. el chingon

el chingon Member

Dec 31, 2005
    Chicago
    Club:
    Club América
    Re: 2007 CONCACAF Champions Cup (MLS Edition)

too bad i dont have it, i guess im just going to watch the DC United game

2. jade1mls

jade1mls Member

Jul 9, 2006
    Seattle

Hey. No problemo. According to the Fox Soccer Channel Schedule they are replaying Houston Dynamo vs Puntarenas right after Fox Soccer Report at 11pm Central time so you can watch both almost back to back (just stay away from the web if you dont want to see the result).

3. el chingon

el chingon Member

Dec 31, 2005
    Chicago
    Club:
    Club América

Oh ok then i guess i am going to be able to watch it.

Wich MLS team is the favorite to do the best??? i dont know much about MLS but im guessing its DC United??

4. TxDynamo

TxDynamo Member

Feb 13, 2007
    Houston

You my friend fail to relize the POWER OF THE DYNAMO!!!! VAMOS HOUSTON!!!

5. jade1mls

jade1mls Member

Jul 9, 2006
    Seattle

I'd say at this point it could be either with a slight advantage to DC United.

On one hand Houston has more continuity having kept all but one of their key players and their manager. They have handily defeated all of their pre-season opponents in scrimages. But...They have to play a tougher Costa Rican side in a very hostile stadium very close to the Puntarenas fans

On the other hand DC United has an easier opponent at least on paper, they have thoroughly scouted Olimpia and have watched all the league games plus they now have Olimpia's best player playing for them and providing inside information, but, they have had many changes in the off season including bringing in a new coach. They have only won one of their pre-season scrimmages with 2 losses and a draw but i don't read too much into this since they were just trying to get match fit.

United is more used to this tournament so the players who have been with the club longer have experience on their side.

I really think its going to come down to which side is more fit on the day. Both should be able to get through to the next round and I'd be suprised if they don't.

having said that....
    VAMOS UNITED!!!

6. TxDynamo

TxDynamo Member

Feb 13, 2007
    Houston

^^^If D.C plays like they did in the first half of the season(even in pre season form).WOW good luck Olimpia cuz that may be the only thing that saves you

7. Onionsack

Onionsack BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 21, 2003
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Quite honestly if both advance i think it would be the surprise. The timing of this event is clearly stacking the odds agianst us. MLS doesnt open competitive play for almost 2 months, every other club has been in season and fitness/form for months or weeks.

No MLS player in this cup has yet to play even 90 minutes in a lower intenstiy scrimage.

IMO we should get one team through regardless on talent alone, but both would be a surprise.

8. spidergoose

spidergoose Member

Nov 2, 2004
    Annapolis
    Club:
    DC United

Boswell played 90 against Denmark.

*shrug*

Your point still largely stands, however.

EDIT: Ah, nope. He came out in the 89th. :) Also Rico Clark played 90 in both US games.

9. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002

if DC and Houston don't do well in the CCC, it will be because they are "out-of-season".

if they do well, it will be because they are "fresh".

it certainly is a difficult little tournament at a tough time of the year, and even first round success isn't really "success", MLS teams need to reach the final.

but i guess we can worry about the semifinals if DC and/or Houston can get past the 1/8's.

10. Onionsack

Jul 21, 2003
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Yes, a small number of players did take part in Nats camp and played in some friendlies. None however did this with their club for whom they will be playing for tommorow.

Just brace yourself for some unflaterring results tommororw.

11. jade1mls

jade1mls Member

Jul 9, 2006
    Seattle
  12. jade1mls

jade1mls Member

Jul 9, 2006
    Seattle

No Honduran side has defeated an MLS one, ever.
    As a United supporter, I like our chances.

13. Onionsack

Jul 21, 2003
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

How many times were those games played in February? Do you still like your chances?

14. spidergoose

spidergoose Member

Nov 2, 2004
    Annapolis
    Club:
    DC United

Yeah. I do.

15. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain

Good luck to DC in trying to match that form.

Ever.

I'm serious. If they can do that, good on them. I doubt that it'll happen, though.

16. sportsfan-quakes

Mar 19, 2005
    San Jose

Actually, I think the Houston players may have more experience in this tournament than the current DC United players. 7 of the current Houston players played in the tournament with San Jose in 2002, 2003, and 2004, with all of them starting at least one of the away matches during that time. The away matches were in Mexico (2002), Guatemala (2003) and Costa Rica (2004). The players who started were Onstad, Waibel, Robinson, Barrett, Mullan, DeRosario, and Ching.

Now the bad news is that every one of those away matches saw San Jose lose handily, but the guys do have the experience.

17. el chingon

el chingon Member

Dec 31, 2005
    Chicago
    Club:
    Club América

Man today and tomorrow there will be a lot of games.

There's 3 Libertadores games today, 2 mexican teams(america, and necaxa) play and in america's case have played today. Also there's like 3 Champion's league games.(Salcido is playing today with PSV)

And tomorrow there's also 3 Libertadores games and 2 Concacaf Champions cup games.

The United game will be the same time as Toluca's libertadores game. I think ill watch the United game.

Lets see if the Olimpia fans act against DC United. There's a track around the pitch so that should help, but rocks could still hit the United players.

In Club America's game today in Ecuador(america won 2-1) The fans started throwing rocks in the stadium, but fortunatly it didn't hit any players.

18. dustcowpoke

dustcowpoke Member

Jan 7, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Also to make matters worse Barca vs. Liverpool and Chelsea vs. Porto.

19. el chingon

el chingon Member

Dec 31, 2005
    Chicago
    Club:
    Club América

^^ Yea, i hate it when this happens, there's days where there's nothing to do and there's no soccer. And other days the day is just filled with soccer games.

20. spidergoose

spidergoose Member

Nov 2, 2004
    Annapolis
    Club:
    DC United

I'm sure they will, especially Emilio, but it's nothing the team hasn't faced before (Catolica).

21. jade1mls

jade1mls Member

Jul 9, 2006
    Seattle
  22. el chingon

el chingon Member

Dec 31, 2005
    Chicago
    Club:
    Club América

Are you talking about Universidad Catolica??? They also threw stuff at Pumas players last year in the Libertadores.

23. spidergoose

spidergoose Member

Nov 2, 2004
    Annapolis
    Club:
    DC United

Yeah, we played them in Sudamericana in '05.

24. el chingon

el chingon Member

Dec 31, 2005
    Chicago
    Club:
    Club América

^^ Oh, i got a question, i know MLS teams have barras, but are they violent???
    has there been fight between barras???

25. spidergoose

spidergoose Member

Nov 2, 2004
    Annapolis
    Club:
    DC United

There've been fights but not in an organized large-scale sense with two groups squaring off. The US is so big that you rarely have big groups of away fans travelling.