2007 CONCACAF Champions Cup (MLS Edition) [R]

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by Onionsack, Feb 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. United fury

United fury Member+

Feb 9, 2007
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: 2007 CONCACAF Champions Cup (MLS Edition)

record of 2-5-1

Doesn't say much, but that certainly doesn't mean to underestimate them

2. sportsfan-quakes

Mar 19, 2005
    San Jose

Yes, but the difference is that last year the MLS teams had the opening leg in the US and played the second leg on the road. The LA game in Costa Rica was the final leg, so one way or another one team was going to score more goals and win there.

Houston and DC have the opportunity to come back home for the second leg. Also, the games are a week earlier this year than last year, so the MLS teams are at more of a disadvantage as far as fitness and form. So, you have to expect that both teams will play pretty close to the vest in the opening match, hoping to be able to come back home with guys who are a bit more match fit and on form after playing the opening match. I think it would be a tremendous mistake for the MLS teams to try to push for an early goal, as you describe. They should conserve energy in the first half and be very happy with a tie.

3. TxDynamo

TxDynamo Member

Feb 13, 2007
    Houston

As long as they arnt throwing shit that will hurt one of them, they should be fine. Only a 9k stadium? They(Puntarenas)better bring it to Aggie land if they want to advance. Expect the sea of orange to take over and be even more hostile than them

4. jade1mls

jade1mls Member

Jul 9, 2006
    Seattle

Except....

In a hostile country the crowd truely is "the 12th man" no better example of that will be the match in Puntarenas.

How do you take the crowd out of the game? An early goal. It really is that simple.

5. jade1mls

jade1mls Member

Jul 9, 2006
    Seattle

Dude, they're gonna be throwing stones at players down there. I doubt Aggie land is gonna be nearly as hostile to them as they will be to Dynamo.

And arent Puntarenas Orange too? hehe

6. Bandido

Bandido Member

Apr 6, 2006
    Deperrosbravos N.L.
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo

Well,Puntarenas is in the middle of their season,so they will be in form. The Dom believes the Dynamo will not be able to pressure the Ticos for 90 min.
    Houston tends to be attacking minded and leaves the back unprotected at times. and even if we score first,the Dynamo will not close ranks.

I have not seen Puntarenas play at all,so if they draw first blood,they might just get another goal before it's all said and done.
    I'll be looking for a 2-1 victory for my Dynamo.:)

7. sportsfan-quakes

Mar 19, 2005
    San Jose

It seemed to work so well for LA last year, didn't it? I watched that game and I seem to recall that the crowd was very much into the match.

I see your point, but I think one of the biggest issues here will be DC and Houston's players not being match fit. They won't have the energy to press the attack and play aggressively for 90 minutes.

And don't expect a very big crowd - from what we've read, Puntarenas averages only a few thousand people at their matches. And this is going to be a mid-week, middle of the day, match.

We'll see, at least it's interesting to be talking about meaningful matches about to be played!

8. jade1mls

jade1mls Member

Jul 9, 2006
    Seattle

What i'd like to know is how in the name of futbol did Houston end up getting a Mexican ref on BOTH legs? I hope this is wrong. If not then Oliver Luck should be protesting to CONCACAF.

from CONCACAF:
    http://www.concacaf.com/view_article.asp?id=3722

QF 2
    21.02.2007: Puntarenas, COSTA RICA; Miguel Lito Perez Stadium (13:35)
    PUNTARENAS FC (CRC) – HOUSTON DYNAMO (USA)
    R: German ARREDONDO (MEX)

01.03.2007: College Station, Texas USA; Aggie Soccer Complex (20:05)
    HOUSTON DYNAMO (USA) – PUNTARENAS FC (CRC)
    R: Benito ARCHUNDIA (MEX)

9. Bandido

Bandido Member

Apr 6, 2006
    Deperrosbravos N.L.
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo

Yea, them ripoff artists:mad:
    They were our colors even before Holland came up with them:D

10. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Member+

Jun 28, 2002
    Houston

Puntarenas not having decent lights could be the best thing for Houston, if they only end up with 1-2K fans it's not going to be a very hostile environment.

11. sportsfan-quakes

Mar 19, 2005
    San Jose

It should be a hostile environment, as you say (maybe not full, but hostile).

Puntarenas was fined for fans throwing objects last month in a home match. The report didn't say what kind of objects, but supposedly the ref was hit.

See tihs post

12. Scott e Dio93

Scott e Dio93 New Member

Jul 1, 2006
    Montevideo, URU

Both MLS Teams aren't ready. DC United is barely reforming with their new manager.

Sadly, MLS is to blame for this

13. RedBulls

RedBulls New Member

Feb 19, 2007

I would expect more than 2k considering this tournament is their only international bragging-rights chance; unlike the Mexican sides who have other events to look forward to (Libertadores).

14. RedBulls

RedBulls New Member

Feb 19, 2007

I am confident DC will pull away after both legs are played (especially considering Olimpia's poor domestic form as of late); Houston though, will have tough going.

BTW, here is a look at where DC will be playing: holds 35k; evening game, and a good chance for a big crowd (considering returning hated player)...one positive: there is a track surrounding the pitch (stones must travel further ;))

link to more photos: http://www.fussballtempel.net/concacaf/HON/Tiburcio.html

[​IMG]

15. texgator

texgator New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Plano

For what? For making their season run the only time feasible considering the weather and stadium availability? DAMN YOU MLS!!! Damn you for putting practical concerns ahead of the importance of the Concacaf Champions Cup that no one cares about!!!! DAMN YOU!!!!!

16. dynamofan

dynamofan Member

Aug 24, 2006
    Houston

I'd give the advantage to Houston over DCU because there has been more continuity for the Dynamo. Same coach, same starters except for Serioux (Cochrane, who will start for Serioux, had a lot of playing time last year while Serioux was out injured).

But DCU has much the same lineup as last year, except for losing Adu and adding Emilio, don't they? So they should know how to play with each other. It's more a question of how much the coaching change impacts the team.

17. jade1mls

jade1mls Member

Jul 9, 2006
    Seattle

[​IMG]

18. el chingon

el chingon Member

Dec 31, 2005
    Chicago
    Club:
    Club América

Yea, the spots are oficcialy Mexico's now.

19. RedBulls

RedBulls New Member

Feb 19, 2007
  20. L.A. SOCCER NATION

L.A. SOCCER NATION ONLY IN L.A.

Jun 17, 2005
    LOS ANGELES

Like I have said before: "There should be NO reason on Why Houston or DC should not advance to the next round."

21. el chingon

el chingon Member

Dec 31, 2005
    Chicago
    Club:
    Club América
  22. RedBulls

RedBulls New Member

Feb 19, 2007
  23. el chingon

el chingon Member

Dec 31, 2005
    Chicago
    Club:
    Club América

Im going to watch the games also. But i won be able to watch the Dyanamo games, isn't it like at 1 pm Central Time??

24. RedBulls

RedBulls New Member

Feb 19, 2007

yup...tivo/dvr will help ;)

25. jade1mls

jade1mls Member

Jul 9, 2006
    Seattle