2007/2008 QPR Media Thread (TV, Audio, Web, Where to watch, etc.) [R]

Discussion in 'Queens Park Rangers' started by QPR Kevin H, Jun 25, 2007.

1. QPR Kevin H

QPR Kevin H BigSoccer Supporter

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Since Atouk mentioned the recently announced Sky Football League schedule, I thought I'd create a place to check media related news for the upcoming season. Here you'll find news on how and where to watch all things QPR related.

Re-post of the Sky schedule...

It's not yet clear to me how this schedule will play out for the American market, since the Premier League, Sky and Setanta have not yet released their TV schedules for the early portion of the season. Hopefully there will be room on Setanta for the featured Saturday evening match.

However, there is a new Premiership TV deal going into place this season which includes many 5:15 Saturday evening matches which will be live on Setanta in the UK. Whether that match will be aired on Setanta North America or Fox Soccer Channel remains to be seen. The Premiership match in that time slot has been shown on Fox Soccer Channel in previous seasons. I hope that Setanta North America continue their live coverage (and Football League Extra highlights) - at least on their extra DirecTV channel. We'll see...

More info on the Sky/Setanta Premiership deal...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4975632.stm

The new UK deal doesn't directly effect the US rights and how the matches are shown here, since the deals for each country are separate.

2. Atouk

Atouk BigSoccer Supporter

DC United
    Apr 16, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great idea for this thread, Kevin.

Also of note: if you don't have QPR World, now might be a good time to give it a try. You can get QPR World for £2.99 (by credit card, only £1.99 for those in the UK doing it by direct debit) through August 5th. After that, they'll charge you for a year at £34.99.

http://www.qpr.premiumtv.co.uk/page/WorldKickOff/0,,10373,00.html

3. QPR Kevin H

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    I asked Oliver Tse (he of soccertv.com infamy...) about how the Setanta/FSC schedules are lining up for this season. He told me that the only change to the Premiership routine will be the semi-frequent Monday evening matches moving to Setanta Sports USA. I'm hoping that clears the way for the Saturday afternoon Championship match to air on Setanta, which would be great.

4. Manck

Manck New Member

Mar 5, 2005
    Newberry SC
    I'd like to see the second half of the season's list. I went and bought Setanta, and actually got to see the R's play two or three times last season. The games were abortions, but it was still my R's.

5. Atouk

DC United
    Apr 16, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We beat Cardiff away on Setanta when they were top of the table! (but, yeah, the Southend one was a particularly ugly disaster).

6. QPR Kevin H

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    That was great... but only one of two matches in recent memory I can think where the Rs won on Sky. (Gillingham, 2004? Marcus Bean 'Hand of God' winner)

7. Atouk

DC United
    Apr 16, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep, that Bean handball winner is the only other win I remember seeing on TV over the last several years. I saw that one at Summers; I caught the Cardiff game this year (and the Southend one, too :() at Kitty's just down the street from there.

8. Atouk

DC United
    Apr 16, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. QPR Kevin H

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Wow - good stuff! We'll have to keep our eyes on the Setanta schedule to see if we have access to those matches here in the States.

Speaking of Setanta, I was a little surprised to see that our friendly vs Celtic will not be on. Looks like they're not covering any of the Celtic pre-season fixtures. Could probably watch the match via Celtic's web site, but that would require a subscription.

10. QPR Kevin H

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Some conformation from Setanta on their intent to show Football League matches this season. This from their Setanta Broadband schedule...

http://na.setanta.com/portal/systemcontent/broadband

No times given yet, just hoping they show the Saturday afternoon (Sky) match live...

11. QPR Kevin H

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
  12. LostinP

LostinP New Member

Jul 1, 2003
    Upstate
    Blasted egg-chasers. I might be moving down to DC area this winter - any decent pubs around in which to see the hoops/championship? Only one I've heard about is Summers, but that it's awful these days.

Thanks,
    Peter

13. Atouk

DC United
    Apr 16, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just down the street from Summers is Kitty O'Shea's (Court House Metro). That's generally where I watch them these days (I live a 5-minute walk away from there, a few blocks past Summers). For weekday afternoon games, it's generally fairly empty, but they'll turn the sound up and it's more of a pub atmosphere than Summers' restaurant atmosphere.

http://www.kittyosheasva.com/sports/

In town, Fado (Gallery Place-Chinatown Metro) will generally show the games, although you're less likely to get sound there (and the Championship games may not appear on their schedule). Kevin and I and a few others watched one QPR game there last season. It's probably best to call ahead there to make sure there's no conflict and that you'll get the TV. It's a good central meeting place for DC, VA, and MD people.

http://www.fadoirishpub.com/washington/eventview/sports

Lucky Bar (Farragut North or Dupont Circle Metro) is an option. Many go there for weekend matches. Their website says they open at 3 p.m., so that's a close shave for the weekday matches. I haven't been there during the week in awhile.

http://www.luckybardc.com/sports.asp

A new place called Babylon Futbol Cafe has opened in Falls Church, VA, that shows soccer and I know several people who like it. I haven't been yet.

http://babylonfc.com/

I know QPRKevinH has a place he goes to out in Maryland, if you're on that side of town. I'm sure he'll chip in here. I think it's McGinty's in Silver Spring.

http://www.mcgintyspublichouse.com/

14. QPR Kevin H

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Actually, I usually go to Flanagan's Harp & Fiddle in Bethesda. That will probably be my usual spot this season. Have not been to McGinty's for football - decent pub though.

LostinP - keep us updated on your move plans. Always happy to meet a fellow hoop for a pint.

URs

15. Atouk

DC United
    Apr 16, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed!

16. doolittledog2

doolittledog2 Member

Jun 17, 2002
    Iowa
    Help LostinP move in his stuff and he just might BUY you a pint!:D

17. QPR Kevin H

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Ha! I'll gladly help him find a good moving company - my lifting days are over :)

18. LostinP

LostinP New Member

Jul 1, 2003
    Upstate
    I hope to travel light :)

Thanks for all of the good advice fellas!

Peter

19. ross from st paul

ross from st paul New Member

Sep 13, 2001
    gold river, CA
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I took advantage of that. Looking forward to another year of Saturday mornings at the computer. Thanks again for the tip! :)

Also, great avatar! :p

And Kevin's avatar gets the blood going. Nice work!

20. QPR Kevin H

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Thanks! It's one of my personal pics from the Sheffield Wednesday promotion match. What a day!

21. MetroAnt

MetroAnt New Member

Jul 10, 2001
    Brooklyn, NY
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm new to this so I apologize if this is a stupid question. Will the QPR World membership allow you to watch live video of all of the season's matches? Please let me know. Thanks!

22. Atouk

DC United
    Apr 16, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No. It gives you access to live audio of the matches, video highlights (usually online the next day) of each game, plus video news stories and interviews (usually 2 or 3 items per week -- check the archives to get an idea -- including post-match comments from the manager and usually a pre-match story with interviews, injury update, etc.).

The video highlights include at least the goals from every game. For a good number of games, they also make "extended highlights" available that include several minutes of important game action.

23. art

art Member

Jul 2, 2000
    Portland OR
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    still worth it though.

24. Atouk

DC United
    Apr 16, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed. It's a great service and good value for money.

25. QPR Kevin H

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    I'm signed up!

Update on the Championship programming on Setanta... good news! The featured 5:05 Saturday kickoff (UK) will be shown live next week on Setanta USA (Noon ET, Aug 18) - Stoke v Charlton.

There's some Carling Cup action next week as well.

http://www.soccertv.com/england.cfm