2006 World Rally Championship Thread [r]

Discussion in 'Automotive' started by Mr Hanki's Throne, Dec 9, 2005.

1. Mr Hanki's Throne

Mr Hanki's Throne New Member

Mar 13, 2001
    Wellington, Colo
    This quote clarifies the manufacter's point situation with the last frame. Each team has its own points.

1 - BP Ford (factory) 14
    2 - Kronos Total Citroen 11
    3 - OMV Peugoet Norway 6
    4 - Subaru WRT (factory) 5
    5 - Red Bull Skoda 3
    6 - Stobart VK Ford 0

2. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thread moved to Automotive

3. Mr Hanki's Throne

Mar 13, 2001
    Wellington, Colo
    Swedish Rally is in progress. Gronholm was leading last I checked followed by Loeb.

4. Mr. Bee

Mr. Bee New Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Buzzing Around
    Club:
    Wolverhampton Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gronholm continues to lead Saturday, winning all stages so far on Day 2

5. Mr Hanki's Throne

Mar 13, 2001
    Wellington, Colo
    Gronholm wins Sweden.

6. tomas_brolin

tomas_brolin Member

Jan 27, 2004
    Geneva, IL
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    tell me about it.. flipping nascar!!! grrrr

7. Mr Hanki's Throne

Mar 13, 2001
    Wellington, Colo
    Marcus Gronholm has crashed out of Mexico. Solberg leads after day one.

8. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can I reiterate how pissed I am that this isn't on US television?

Allegedly, according to someone who emailed WRC on a motorcycle forum I read, they are in negotiations for US right now, and are hoping to be on-air mid March. That would be excellent - hopefully they show the already passed rallies.

9. Mr Hanki's Throne

Mar 13, 2001
    Wellington, Colo
    Loeb leads after day 2. Solberg hit a dog.

10. Own Goal Hat-Trick

Jul 28, 1999
    ColoRADo
    solbergs luck from last year seems to be continuing.

11. Mr Hanki's Throne

Mar 13, 2001
    Wellington, Colo
    Loeb wins, first ever win for Kronos.

Gronholm took advantage of rules allowing reentry after crashing, taking a 20 minute penalty into the second day to finish eighth.

12. Nanbawan

Nanbawan Member

Jun 11, 2004
    Haute Bretagne
    Club:
    Stade Rennais FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    This Xsara WRC isn't really the sexiest car but it is now definitely entering the rally car pantheon if it wasn't already the case. Let's hope for Citroën withe the future C4 that they won't suffer the same (relative) misfortunes that Peugeot had to deal with when they brought the 307 to replace the 206.

Whereas the poor dog just had to be unlucky once !

13. Mr Hanki's Throne

Mar 13, 2001
    Wellington, Colo
    Henning Solberg in Mexico
    [​IMG]

14. Nanbawan

Nanbawan Member

Jun 11, 2004
    Haute Bretagne
    Club:
    Stade Rennais FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    The Porsche 911 is back in rally ! Well, at least in the French championship (thanks to the French federation -FFSA- now allowing GT cars to compete) where Oreca (Vipers in Le Mans) is developping a kit for 911 gt3 so that they can be competitive versus super1600 rally cars. Maybe someday, there might be one during a WRC event.

15. Mr Hanki's Throne

Mar 13, 2001
    Wellington, Colo
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/world_rally/4841358.stm

This was the Junior WRC. The driver of the other car, Barry Clark, made the same off from the road that Burkart had.

16. Mr Hanki's Throne

Mar 13, 2001
    Wellington, Colo
  17. Mr Hanki's Throne

Mar 13, 2001
    Wellington, Colo
    Nice picture from Spain
    [​IMG]
    Daniel Sordo and his Spanish Marc Marti with their Citroen Xsara WRC roar during special stage Vilaplana 1 of the second day, Tarragona, Spain.
    (Anna Kalagani/Associated Press)

18. Mr Hanki's Throne

Mar 13, 2001
    Wellington, Colo
    [​IMG]

Mikko Hirvonen of Finland drives his Ford Focus RS WRC06 during the Shakedown for the Rally RACC Catalunya March 23, 2006 in Costa Daurada, Spain.
    (Reporter Images/Getty Images)

19. Mr Hanki's Throne

Mar 13, 2001
    Wellington, Colo
  20. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    It's hard to argue against Loeb being better. He wins on all surfaces, something Gronholm never did even when he had the best car.

21. Nanbawan

Nanbawan Member

Jun 11, 2004
    Haute Bretagne
    Club:
    Stade Rennais FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    On this particular rally, I'd say both the car and the driver. Even if the Focus is potentially more performant, the Citroën is a well known machine by the technical staff of Kronos -the Citroën company being not so far- and Loeb who knows how to exploit every single inch of it. Don't forget that the main contenders cannot use electronic differentials anymore. Some of the Ford's potential might have evaporated as a result of a not so good setting, maybe, I'm speculating there.

Le Tour de Corse is an event that has almost always been won by a Frenchman like the Swedish rally and Scandinavians. Gronholm was one of the few to break the rule and Loeb also the other way round incidentally...Usually, french drivers had a profile similar to say Gilles Panizzi, ie someone from the South of France. Exactly like Swedes, Norwegians and Finns learned to drive on slippery surfaces from an early age, our Southerners began on those typical twisty tarmac moutain or coastal roads.

Having said that, Sebastien Loeb does not exactly fits in the format. The guy is a former gymnast from Alsace who started his career in Rally driving after participating to a young talent contest organised by Peugeot (I saw it at the time and even considered trying myself -the fee was really affordable (~15$)- anyway I did not, good for him LOL !). It's the same kind of contest put in place this time by Subaru France that also allowed Sarrazin to switch from track racing.

Anyway, the French rally championship has always put an emphasis on tarmac races, that's why we have so many tarmac experts ; but with fewer and fewer of these events at the world level, French drivers must learn to be competitive on the gravel once they get a seat in a WRC. Sebastien is really gifted, learns fast, is cool and composed. In addition to that, he had the opportunity of nurturing his talent at Citroën with very friendly and efficient working conditions as he was developping the Xsara WRC prior to the double chevron brand first complete participation in WRC. I remember when Guy Frequelin (Citroën sport team boss) was trying to hide the company's ambition to build a WRC, seems like yesterday...Of course, like many of his counterparts , Loeb has a very strong will to win yet his main asset is that he's also able to convert this will in a will to learn in order to attain his goals.

22. Mr Hanki's Throne

Mar 13, 2001
    Wellington, Colo
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/world_rally/4960816.stm

Loeb wins again in Argentina. Took over the lead after Gronholm had transmission problems.

Rally of Argentina results:

1. Sebastien Loeb (Fra) Citroen 4:06:51.300
    2. Petter Solberg (Nor) Subaru +00:44.600
    3. Gianluigi Galli (Ita) Mitsubishi 03:24.300
    4. Manfred Stohl (Aut) Peugeot 03:40.000
    5. Daniel Sordo (Spa) Citroen 05:40.200
    6. Chris Atkinson (Aus) Subaru 05:43.800
    7. Henning Solberg (Nor) Peugeot 09:30.400
    8. Matthew Wilson (GB) Ford 10:34.600
    9. Luis Companc Perez (Arg) Ford 10:52.300
    10. Marcus Groenholm (Fin) Ford 14:08.700

Drivers' championship:
    1 Loeb 56 points
    2 Marcus Gronholm (Fin) 35
    3 Sordo 24
    4 Stohl 18
    4 Solberg 18
    6 Galli 11

Constructors' standings:
    1 Kronos-Citroen 69 pts
    2 Ford 57
    3 Subaru 51
    4 OMV-Peugeot-Norway 31
    5 Stobart-Ford 15
    6 Red Bull-Skoda 11

23. Nanbawan

Nanbawan Member

Jun 11, 2004
    Haute Bretagne
    Club:
    Stade Rennais FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Even if Loeb benefited from his opponent woes on this rally, it's a little bit worrying for Ford and Subaru that aunt Xsara isn't so far off the pace on gravel.

First podium for galli with the Peugeot 307 and pirelli tyres. And quite a considerable amount of those in the privateers rank. looks like it isn't such a bad car nor a bad deal. The 307 was known to be performant but difficult to exploit, strange that they appear to have fixed that for the customer version.

24. Own Goal Hat-Trick

Jul 28, 1999
    ColoRADo
    i havent been following the WRC too much this year but was talking with my friend about it...

guess theyre going to NA engines next year and spec transmissions? good god why? rally is dying in this country and the FIA/WRC is making these utterly unreal rule changes? sad.

25. Nanbawan

Nanbawan Member

Jun 11, 2004
    Haute Bretagne
    Club:
    Stade Rennais FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    That may actually attract more manufacturers in the future, I guess it would be a 2L engine, it won't be too far from engines used in supertouring then. There's not a great deal of car brands that propose turbo charged engines for compact cars on the market,at least for the moment. The strange thing is that the future trend seems to be small capacity turbo charged engines.

Anyway, as of today, the paradox is that neither Peugeot nor Citroën sell a car using turbo (for gasoline at least) and they have cars in the WRC regulation whereas Renault sells at least one (Megane RS)...:confused: