2006 World Cup: Quarter-Finals - Portugal x England [R]

Discussion in 'Portugal' started by Força Sporting, Jun 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. leafster

leafster New Member

Jul 21, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    I hope you aren't counting Carvalho :)

2. Prawn Sandwich

Oct 1, 2003
    Bhutan
    You've lost me - any superiority of Ricardo is counteracted by the inability of the Portugese attack to score against ten men. Neither team deserved to win in normal and extra time so it had to come down to the lottery of the penalty shoot-out.

3. leafster

leafster New Member

Jul 21, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    Too true. I've seen Rooney, Joe Cole, Wright Phillips and Gerrard dive several times in the EPL but people blame foreign influence for this :rolleyes: . We do indeed have some players that will dive, but we are far from being the only ones who have this problem. Maniche was the only one I saw making a clear dive in that game. I also saw Henry go down when a Brasilian's boot came close to his head but made no contact.

Also, the Dutch were diving all over the pitch in our encounter but as always, most people mainly singled out the Southern Europeans for dirty play. It goes with the reputation Italians, Portuguese, Spanairds and Latin Americans have and we have to accept that we will get criticised for any incident.

4. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I would agree. England were able to keep Portugal scoreless, so they could very well be described as the better side to that extent.

Although, I would like to say that calling the penalty shoot-out a lottery is a little bit unjust to Ricardo. He got a hand to every single ball and saved 3 shots. Surely that is skill to some degree.

5. Catfish

Catfish Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    LMAO...nice one. I can't stand Rooney. I had a feeling his bad attitude would get him sent off at least once in the WC.

6. Catfish

Catfish Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    THAT IS TOTAL BS and basically English superiority complex. I swear who died and made them eternal Kings of Football. I know ENG invented the game, but it doesn't give them the final say on anything and everything related to football.

7. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I would just like to say that Petit is horrible. Gave away numerous passes in our zone and gave away crucial position. Not to mention got another yellow off another eratic slide tackle, in a dangerous set piece position.

8. artistwanta_b

artistwanta_b Member

Aug 16, 2004
    I think the english forget we were missing two important starters and came into the game caring many yellow cards which drastically affected our play. Maniche was nowhere near as agressive on the pitch.

Supior is the wrong word. I prefer better. Anyone could have lost yesterday. We won because we were better.

We beat Holland with 10 and then 9 players.

Italy won with 10 and tied an important game with only 9 vs 10.

The reason our side is better is we FIND ways to win. We could have folded in the euro and won the game in penalties. We could have folded vs Holland and won. We were missing five players vs Mexico and found a way to win. We were missing three vs Angola and found a way.

People seem to forget we have only played with a full squad for 1 1/2 games.

Have we played our best no? The english played thier best game of the WC and lost. While we played subpar and won. Does that somehow make the English feel better? I would always prefer to lose because the other team played better. I can live with that.

Honestly, do you think if Deco was in the midfield you would have controlled the midfield?

The difference is we have found ways to win. Could be coaching. Could be heart. Could be our players are better. I tend to believe it is our players that are better.

In a perfect world everything would be even.

We would have as much money as England to keep our top players.

Your population would not be 50 million to 10 million. A larger pool of young player to choose from.

Our league would have as much money to bring top talent from around the world to make the league more competative thus making the players better.

Till then we will have to settle for just beating you.

9. jec1

jec1 Member

Sporting Clube de Portugal
    Portugal
    Aug 27, 2004
    Los Angeles ATM
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I don't understand why people blame Ronaldo, All he did was defend his countrymen who was lying on the Floor with his testicles almost chopped off.

Rooney is a jerk and will always be one. Ronaldo is a Good Kid who has a Passion For his Country. What did he say after he hit the PK? He pointed to the heavens and said ''YOUR GREAT''

Maybe, the Ref is gay and had that Twinkle in his eye when he saw Ronaldo, I dunnot. But I can say Rooney is a thug who doesn't play fair. Why do that in a key Game?

Btw, The Experience was why Portugal moved on. Ricardo read the players steps and made them pay.

10. Catfish

Catfish Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I agree with your anti-Rooney rant, but I think Portugal played like it was them against the world this WC. England was playing like they were suppose to win it, along with Brasil. In the end, PORT was just hungrier for the win.

11. Brian De Sousa

Brian De Sousa Red Card

Aug 10, 2004
    New Bedford, MA
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    TIMAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

12. FigoTX

FigoTX Member

Feb 15, 2006
    H-town, TX
    Dude, we are taking over the world, slowly. Very. Slowly.

13. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    do you realize that you have just inferred legitimacy on the world's claims that david beckham is a great footballer?

14. Aveirenses

Aveirenses Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Guardiolunya
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    He plays for Real Madrid.

He must be good! :D :rolleyes:

15. Aveirenses

Aveirenses Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Guardiolunya
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Disagree.

I think England started to actually play to win when Rooney was sent off.

We only didn't get a goal maybe because Deco wasn't there to command the field, I don't know. But it hardly matters because we kept England from getting one. Sometimes a goal saved is more important than a goal scored.

16. FigoTX

FigoTX Member

Feb 15, 2006
    H-town, TX
    This has to be the funniest photo of the cup.

17. Aveirenses

Aveirenses Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Guardiolunya
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Yeah, but at least England's players didn't say stupid things like, "I'm waiting until the World Cup final to score a goal," or, "I don't know who we'll get in the final," like Ronaldinho and Roberto Carlos, respectively.

I think England were thinking they could win, but I think in doing so, they overlooked the hurdles, that's why they had a hard-time with the heat, they didn't really work-enough, and maybe the pre-World-Cup training wasn't well prepared.

Portugal was used to playing in heat going into the tournament because of the training they did in Portugal, under intense-heat. The players were already adapted to the kind of weather they might encounter in Germany. Of course it's more than just weather that decides a football game, and a team's fate in a tournament.

I also don't think Erikkson really helped to bring together a team-spirit, and most of the times English players said there was a team-spirit, it seemed like they were forcing themselves to say that. It's hard to win games when the coach is like Erikkson and just doesn't motivate you to go out and win, doesn't really let it all on the line.

18. JuveleoRules

JuveleoRules Member

Jun 8, 2002
    New Jersey, U.S.A.
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    One other thing to take from this game is the sight of Crouch trying to dribble...that was some of the funniest video I have ever seen...this guy needs to learn to dribble and join the NBA...

And I mean dribble a basketball because he can't dribble a soccerball...:D

19. Prawn Sandwich

Oct 1, 2003
    Bhutan
    Fair point - Portugal were better equipped to succeed in the penalty shoot-out. I don't know what happened to Robinson this tournament, he appeared to have a major breakdown in confidence after a very strong season for his club - mind you, that could be used to describe half the English squad....

20. Prawn Sandwich

Oct 1, 2003
    Bhutan
    And England were missing Owen and started Rooney and Neville, neither of whom could be vaguely described as being match fit.

You didn't win - the score was 0-0. If you'd been better you'd have been able to score with a man advantage for over an hour in conditions which favoured your side.

FYP

And do you think if Owen was on the field that you would have stopped England scoring? Do you think England would have gone down to ten men if Rooney wasn't played out of position and getting frustrated? Do you think Rooney would have been sent off if the ref didn't blow for a foul on him immediately prior to the stamp?

FYP again

Look, Portugal are a good side with a lot of talent but they struggled to beat a misfiring England team who were down to ten men for half the match in temperatures that favoured the Portugese. Neither side played to their potential and both are capable of playing considerably better.

21. KhaNArTisT

KhaNArTisT New Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Back in Toronto Esse
    do you realize that you just inferred you thought david beckham is attractive :eek:

thats gotta hurt.

p.s. lol timmay...classic

22. Força Sporting

Sep 29, 2002
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    My God, this is funny!!! :D

23. Catfish

Catfish Member

Oct 1, 2002