2006 WC Roster

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by mfw13, Jul 10, 2005.

1. mfw13

mfw13 Member+

Jul 19, 2003
    Seattle
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Mods....if there isn't a thread on this already, this might be a good one to sticky.

I did some analysis last night after getting home from the US-Canada game, based on player appearances in WC qualifying and in the Gold Cup. I did not include friendlies of the qualifiers against Grenada. This leaves a total of 13 matches to date.

Here are my conclusions:

In if they are healthy (13):

Keller
    Howard
    Bocanegra
    Cherundolo
    Pope
    Donovan
    Beasley
    Reyna
    O'Brien
    Mastroeni
    Lewis
    McBride
    Johnson

That leaves ten spots open, nine for field players, and one for the third keeper. I am assuming Bruce will choose a total of 8 defenders, 8 midfielders, 4 strikers, and 3 keepers, with Donovan being classified as an attacking mid, not a striker.

Likely in (5):

Gibbs
    Onyewu
    Berhalter
    Hedjuk
    Wolff

Fighting for the last four spots:

Convey
    Vanney
    Ralston
    Dempsey
    Zavagnin
    Ching
    Noonan

On the outside looking in:

Sanneh
    Armas
    Mathis
    Casey
    Twellman

2. ursula

ursula Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Republic of Cascadia
    Hmmm. It's too early to tell but I'll bite and look at your list.

Your biggest surprise at lock is:

Bocanegra who has a good chance but has at least two if not four players ahead of him in central defense. (Gibbs, Onyewu, Pope, possibly Conrad) He's probably a likely but that depends on his left back play which ain't too good.

Pope is also a likely not a lock but is a strong likely.

Now your likely's:

Gooch and Gibbs are probably locks- they are probably the starting central defenders in Germany.

Berhalter is on the outside at the moment.

Hedjuk is close to a lock given his versitility at positions that the team is weak in.

Wolff is hard to guage. I'd put him as likely too but I could see players pushing him off the squad in a year's time more than any other likely. Maybe slide him to "fighting" along with Ching and Noonan.

Now your fighting for the last four spots:

Zavagnin is on the outside and probably Armas is ahead of him, though also probably on the outside.

Dempsey and Ralston are likelys.

Add in Quaranta to the fighting list.

If for Vanney it's mainly a matter of getting his fitness up to play LB (as Arena aluded to in the podcast) than he's a likely. If so he should improve by the end of the GC. If not...

Add Conrad to the fighting list- he's probably ahead of Berhalter at this point.

Add Olsen and Davis to the outside list.

Also if the outside list includes all players who just miss the cut for Germany and get put on the alternates list, remove Mathis please and you could probably add a few others (Gaven for instance).

3. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This talk is all way way too early. At this point in qualifying 4 years ago, Beasley hadn't even been capped and Donovan was still not yet a major factor for the team. There is still a lot of time for others to emerge.

I think Dempsey is improving daily. The jury is still out on JOB and whether or not he can be the player he was before injuries.

4. fusion101

fusion101 Member

Jan 11, 2002
    Assuming everyone is healthy-

Goalies (3)- Keller, Howard, Hahnemann

Defenders (8)- Bocanegra, Cherundolo, Gibbs, Onyewu, Pope, Mastroeni, Berhalter, Convey

Midfield (8)- Renya, O'Brien, Beasley, Lewis, Dempsey, Noonan, Armas, Ralston

Forwards (4)- McBride, Johnson, Donovan, Wolff

Alternates-
    Goalies- Thornton, Busch
    Defenders- Conrad, Vanney, Hejduk
    Midfield- Zavagnin, Quaranta, Jones, Olsen
    Forward- Gaven, Ching

5. Yank22

Yank22 Member

Jan 7, 2005
    NYC
    You gotta thnk spector will make the team

6. fusion101

fusion101 Member

Jan 11, 2002
    I had Spector in my alternate list and if I was manager he would be on it, but knowing Bruce, Spector isn't going to make the alternate list unless he starts 15 plus games for Charlton. Experience is a huge plus for Bruce.

7. PSsoccer123

PSsoccer123 New Member

Jul 22, 2003
    Keller, Howard, Hahnemann
    Churundolo, Gibbs, Onyewu, Bocanegra, Spector, Pope, Marshall, Hejduk
    Mastroeni, Beasely, Donovan, O'Brien, Reyna, Dempsey, Lewis, Noonan
    Johnson, McBride, Wolff, Ching

8. helmzgk

helmzgk New Member

Jun 14, 2002
    california

He should get those fifteen games easy. He's extremely versatile in the back, where he can play left, central, or right. And Charlton's defensive situation isn't top notch. Spector could end up being a more talented version of Heyduk.

9. fusion101

fusion101 Member

Jan 11, 2002
    I think that's already the case, it's just Heyduk has a ton of experience and is a work horse, but he isn't good with the ball; only good thing he did was the stepover verse the Mexicans. You may be right, if Spector earns a first team spot in Charlton he will be on the list.

10. DCFAN96

DCFAN96 Member

Apr 24, 2004
    Locks:
    Keller
    Dolo
    Bocanegra
    Pope
    Donovan
    Beasley
    Reyna
    O'Brien
    Mastroeni
    Lewis
    McBride
    Johnson
    Gibbs
    Gooch
    Heydude (hes been actually playing well lately)

Thats 15 very likely inclusions. The remaining 8 spots could go to

Spector
    Marshall
    Gaven
    Quaranta
    Convey
    Vanney (I hope to god he doesn't get in)
    Ralston
    Dempsey
    Zavagnin
    Ching
    Noonan
    Mathis
    Casey
    Twellman

Two of those spots will of course go to a backup keeper, any of Howard, Cannon, or Marcus will do. I think our backline is pretty much set with possible just one or two opening left (basically who'll play LB) so for the remaining 8 you'd expect one of Convey, Spector or Vanney ('shudders') to get in, I hope for Spectore to play well for Charlton this upcoming season to make that spot his. Berhalter won't get in unless someone goes down our CB position is pretty deep (Boca, Pope, Gooch, Gibbs), Conrad and Sanneh are probably in the same boat as Berhalter, were just deep in our CB position. Then we have the other most discussed topic as far as postions go with RM, we got Ralston, Q1 or possibly Gaven or Dempsey. The smart way to go would be taking one of the youngins, Ralston is a fine player to play against Concacaf opponents but he'll get torched against stronger competition. To much doubt over whose better or whose form will improve/drop so its still up in the air at RM. Not much left for debate in every other position, I think every has an idea of who'll start and where (Donovan, Beasley, EJ, etc), so the rest of the spots will likely go to whoever is in good form next summer. Players who definitely shouldn't be considered are Armas, Sanneh, and Jones.

11. dfb547490

dfb547490 New Member

Feb 9, 2000
    The Heights
    The way I see it:

Locks (if healthy of course): Keller, Howard (may not be #2, but he'll be on the squad), Pope, Bocanegra, Onyewu, Gibbs, Cherundolo, Beasley, Donovan, O'Brien, Reyna, Mastroeni, Lewis, Johnson, McBride

That leaves 8 open spots, and I see them breaking down as follows:

1. Backup/3rd-string GK - Probably Hahnemann, but Cannon and a few others also have a shot

2. LB - Hejduk is holding this spot right now, but everything depends on how Spector does with Charlton. If he's a first-team fixture and plays well, Spector gets the nod here (unless Arena decides to bring him as a CB instead--see below). Convey and Vanney will also be considered here, as will Burgiaca and Dunivant if they continue to perform well in MLS, but at the end of the day I expect this to come down to Hejduk vs. Spector. That said, if Arena really wants Hejduk on the team and if Spector performs too strongly at Charlton to ignore, both guys could go at the expense of a CB or MF

3. CB - Berhalter, Marshall, Conrad, Califf, and Robinson are competing for this spot, as is Spector if he doesn't go as a LB. Berhalter is in the lead right now but I expect Marshall to overtake him in the winter friendlies

4. Central MF - Dempsey's spot to lose, he'll be in unless his development stalls catastrophically. If the worst happens expect Zavagnin to take this spot. Another guy who has virtually no chance to make the team if everyone's healthy, but who could be capable of contributing if we suffer injuries and therefore I'd like to see get a few looks in friendlies, is Pete Vagenas.

5, 6. Wingers - Arena will be looking for versatility here more than anything else. Tough to see anyone taking this spot unless they can play at least one position other than their preferred wing (whether it's the other wing, central MF, or up top). Noonan will likely take one of these spots; Ralston is holding the other right now but could easily be (and almost certainly will be) supplanted by Quaranta, Klein, Gaven, or Davis. Brian Mullan is another guy who, if he can stay healthy and continue to perform well in MLS, will be hard to ignore; his versatility (he's played RM and RB in the past; could play LM; and played F in the past, although he wasn't very good, and could do so again in an emergency) and end-to-end energy are reminiscent of a yougner Frankie Hejduk and he'll certainly get a look in the winter friendlies.

7,8. Strikers - With Donovan a lock, Dempsey a near-lock, and Noonan and Quaranta (who could easily start our first game as striker) with very good chances to make the team as MFs there's little reason to take more than 4 guys who are actually listed as strikers. Ching was easily our #3 striker and was pushing McBride for a starting role before suffering 2 consecutive serious injuries; he'll be back for the playoffs and, if he does well there and in winter friendlies, he has a very good chance to make the team. Josh Wolff also gets in for the speed and energy he provides off the bench. I don't believe Wolff is still an international-caliber starter but he has enough left in the tank to be a valuable weapon as a sub. Taylor Twellman will be vying for one of these spots but first he needs to get healthy and prove he isn't the new Jason Kreis. Conor Casey is horrible and should not get another look unless he absolutely lights the Bundesliga 2 on fire during the first half of next season. Buddle is a possibility if Andrulis is ever fired and he regains his scoring touch. Quaranta could make the team here if he doesn't as a MF. Finally, not quite forgotten is Clint Mathis, who scored his first goal of the season last night. If that goals proves to be what he needed to spark his engine, we may not have heard the last of Cletus yet. I believe that in 2 weeks we'll know whether or not he has any shot to play in Germany.

12. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    If Spector gets consistent 1st team minutes at Charlton, he will be in Germany. His versatility (CB/LB) will give him a decided advantage over someone like Berhalter. I just don't see comparing Spector with Heyduk; they're completely different players. Heyduk is a physical fitness marvel, and that counts for a lot in a grueling tournament set up, so Frankie will be there.

13. XYZ1234

XYZ1234 New Member

Oct 26, 2002
    Beasley had 2 Caps at this point 4 years ago

1/27/2001 W 2 : 1 China at Oakland, CA [Friendly ]
    2/3/2001 L 0 : 1 Colombia at Miami, FL [Friendly ]

Even Mastro was capped at this point 4 years ago and I think he was the last guy to be capped that made the 02 Cup roster.

It will be almost impossible for a current uncapped player to make the 06 team.

14. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca
    Locks:

Keller
    2nd goalie
    Cherundolo
    Hedjuk (as backup, utility man)
    Gooch
    Pope (barring miracle)
    Bocanegra
    Gibbs
    O'Brien (if healthy)
    Donovan
    Mastro
    Reyna
    Beasley
    McBride
    Johnson
    Lewis
    Dempsey

These 16 are ON barring injury.

#17- backup DM (Zavagnin, Armas, etc. fighting it out)
    #18- forward (Wolff a strong candidate, likely Noonan, Ching
    #19- mid/forward (Noonan, Ching, and 'promising' youngsters like Quaranta, Convey, and maybe even Adu)
    #20- 3rd keeper...
    #21- final defender, particular LB (Vanney w/best shot..Convey)

There is probably a lot less room on the 2006 roster than believed- barring injury.

15. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca
    And I forgot Spector- who is a near-lock if he gets significant playing time w/Charlton

16. helmzgk

helmzgk New Member

Jun 14, 2002
    california

My comparison with Spector and Frankie wasn't their technical abilities, it was their versatility, which will be crucial in a tournament such as the World Cup. Frankie can play both Right and Left Back, as well as Right mid in a pinch. Spector can play all along the backline, and can probably start for us at leftback if he gets a ton of minutes for Charlston. He can also fill in for us at centerback and on the right, if the case may be.

17. dfb547490

dfb547490 New Member

Feb 9, 2000
    The Heights
    There's 23 roster spots...also I find it interesting that you consider "2nd keeper" a lock but "3rd keeper" is only a maybe ;)

18. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca
    Oh no- the 3rd keeper is a definent.

You can fill out 17-23 the way you wish. I'm just pointing out that the top 16 are likely (barring injury) already spoken for. For spots 17-23, you've got a 3-4 deep fight for most of those..

19. mfw13

mfw13 Member+

Jul 19, 2003
    Seattle
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    I just wanted to point out that the methodology I used in creating my original list was the number of caps a player has earned during WC qualifying and the Gold Cup over the past 12 months.

Players who have received fewer than three caps during this period (encompassing 13 matches to date) are ones I give almost no chance of making the roster (excepting Reyna and JOB who have been injured).

20. Shabs

Shabs Member

Jun 19, 2002
    NYC
    IMO, for 23 players, 3 GK's, 8 Def's, 8 Mids, and 4 Fwds, this is who Bruce takes.
    Locks:
    GK (1) - Keller
    Defense (5) - Cherundolo, Bocanegra, Gibbs, Onyewu, Pope
    Midfield (6) - Mastroeni, Beasley, Lewis, O'Brien, Donovan, Reyna
    Forward (2) - Johnson, McBride

Others, in order of probability:
    GK (2 spots left) - Cannon, Hahnemann, Howard
    Defense (3 spots left) - Hejduk, Convey, Vanney, Spector, Berhalter, Fraser, Marshall, Burciaga, Dunivant
    Midfield (2 spots left) - Dempsey, Zavagnin, Ralston, Noonan, Quaranta, Gaven
    Forward (2 spots left) - Wolff, Casey, Ching, Noonan, Quaranta

Who I'd take:
    GK (3) - Keller, Cannon, Hahnemann
    Defense (8) - Cherundolo, Bocanegra, Gibbs, Onyewu, Pope, Hejduk, Spector, Burciaga
    Midfield (8) - Mastroeni, Beasley, Lewis, O'Brien, Donovan, Reyna, Dempsey, Ralston
    Forward (4) - Johnson, McBride, Wolff, Ching

I hate not being able to bring Noonan and Gaven.

21. galaxyfan03

galaxyfan03 Member

Jul 4, 2001
    Glendale, California
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My locks (if healthy):

GK - Keller

D - Cherundolo, Pope, Bocanegra, Gibbs, Hejduk (Bruce loves him too much, not to take him), Onyewu (not 100% sure that he's a lock but he's a better choice than Berhalter)

MF - Donovan, Beasley, JOB, Reyna, Lewis, Mastroeni

F - McBride, EJ

That's 15 spots taken IMHO, which leaves 8 spots available. Here's my list:

Howard
    Hahnemann
    Reis
    Cannon
    Vanney
    Convey (not unless he has a SOLID year at Reading)
    Marshall
    Spector (hopefully, Bruce will find a way to get a good look at him)
    Dempsey
    Ralston
    Armas (don't laugh...Bruce loves him)
    Zavagnin
    Klein (I really think he's our best option at RM, outside of Reyna, despite his lack of "super speed")
    Ching (IMHO he's 99% in)
    Wolff
    Twellman
    Noonan

That's 17 players....and I didn't include Russell (RB) or Philipakos (RM) who I would like to see get a shot.

22. galaxyfan03

galaxyfan03 Member

Jul 4, 2001
    Glendale, California
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just realized that I left off Brad Davis & Jose Burciaga, who I truly believe should be included, though Burciaga hasn't gotten the call from Bruce.

With our LACK of depth at LB & Burciaga's solid play for KC, I can't see how Bruce can't find someway to include him on the USMNT roster.

Davis is probably out of luck because of the position he plays, LM. We're very strong there, with Beas, Lewis & JOB. Barring injury (God forbid), I don't see Davis getting to Germany.

23. Kevin Lindstrom

Oct 28, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How is this (if at all) changed by the 4-3-3 Il Bruce used against Canada?

Interesting in that EJ plays winger for Dallas in a 4-3-3, DMB plays winger for PSV, McBride is perfect for that center spot, and a 4-3-3 doesn't require a right wing (see how Dallas plays it - with three central middies, no wingers - the wing play comes from the forwards and the wing-backs - and we know Cherundolo can attack from the back). And we've always had strength in the middle of the park - Mastroeni, JOB, Donovan, Reyna, etc.

My concern about the 4-3-3, sexy as it appears at times, is that I'm not sure how effective it would be at the World Cup. Against CONCACAF? Sure. But in Europe against England, the Netherlands or whoever we play in our group?

Back to the topic a bit - I think that McBride might be over the hill by next summer. Player over thirty can fall off the top pdq, unfortunately. What happens if he does? Same thing on Pope and Reyna.

I take solace from the fact that EJ, DMB, Donovan, Mastroeni, (hopefully now JOB), Gibbs, Gooch, Cherundolo, Dempsey (a bit of a projection, but I think he will round out), and Keller are going to be just fine, thank you very much. Add in Pope, Reyna and McBride (they could very well and hopefully will stay on top), and that is a good group of starters.

Gaven could very well blossom in time. Adu, I think, probably won't. Never say never, but the signs don't seem to be there. Spector could, but maybe not. Noonan might have something, too.

Let's remember something - players like Ralston probably aren't going to be good enough to make it across the pond. Steve is doing well in CONCACAF, but it is a whole different animal over there.

And I expect Il Bruce to use his entire roster again, like last time. So no charity spots.

24. CaliManU

CaliManU New Member

Jul 4, 2005
    Los Angeles
    -----------E. Johnson------B. McBride------------

--------------------L. Donovan--------------------

-----J. O'Brien--------------------D. Beasley-----

--------------------C. Dempsey-------------------

J. Spector--C. Gibbs--O. Onyewu--S.Cherundolo

---------------------K. Keller-----------------------

25. mfw13

mfw13 Member+

Jul 19, 2003
    Seattle
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Everyone seems to be very high on Spector, with good reason. My question, though, is why didn't Bruce call him up for the Gold Cup? The fact that Bruce chose to take another look at Vanney instead tells me that he is not seriously considering Spector at this point.