2006 Pre-Season Miami FC Official Thread

Discussion in 'United Soccer Leagues' started by sounderfan, Oct 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. michiganfb

michiganfb Member

Sep 14, 2004
    mario rodriquez had a "ton" (at least five) of MOTM awards according to the crew mlsnet site - before the coaching change and his subsequent splinter seat.

2. drew_VT_6

drew_VT_6 Member

Feb 22, 2000
    Orange County, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Onandi Lowe...if not flyin' high on the crank...is a fantastic player at this level.

3. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Being a non-South Florida resident, I basically been maintaining a communication line to Miami FC and updating this quasi-supporters website in hopes that someone local would want to actually create a supporters group. If you truly interested, PM/email me and we could work some details.

4. soybostero

soybostero Member

Oct 3, 2005
    Miami
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    When will we get Season Ticket prices ?? When can I buy a jersey (do the players even have jerseys, oh wait we dont even have all the players yet!) Man they're cutting it close....What section will be the rowdy-piss drunk area ??? I cant friggin wait....

5. dooby10

dooby10 New Member

Oct 26, 2004
    Count me in for the supporters club. Maybe the louder we are the closer we may get to MLS and a real stadium. In the meantime I'm all about USL. I just opened a screenprinting business so I would like to make t-shirts and flags for the supporters club but I will need some support and a name. If there are any takers and suggestions for a name this is the time to speak up.
    GO MIAMI FC!!!

6. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If anyone really wants to find out whats going on and represent soccer fans in South Florida, please attend this Press Conference today!!!!
    (PM/Email me if you can go)

INAUGURAL PRESS CONFERENCE OF MIAMI FC

MIAMI FC WILL PRESENT PLAYERS AND EXCITING NEWS THIS TUESDAY, MARCH 14
    PLACE:
    Sheraton Miami Mart Hotel (near Miami International Airport) 711 NW 72nd Avenue Miami, FL 33131
    TIME: 2:30PM
    TOPICS:
    -Official presentation and comments by Traffic Sports and Miami FC executives
    -Official presentation and presence of players signed to date highlighted by Mario “El Loco” Rodríguez (GUA), Onandi Lowe (JAM), Diego Walsh (BRA), Stephane Guillame(HAITI), Sean Frasier (JAM)
    -Announcement of signing of player from 1994 World Cup champion Brazil
    -Announcement of training camp in Brazil from Wednesday, March 15 – Wednesday, April 5
    -Announcement of pre-season match(es)
    -Information about Miami FC’s home stadium, Tropical Park Stadium
    -Ticket prices and other information
    -Unveiling of official Miami FC Jersey

Celebration of our new team!

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:
    Members of the media will have the opportunity to interview executives and players after the press conference.

7. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Guessing Dunga.

8. sounderfan

sounderfan New Member

Apr 6, 2003
    Sweet! Let's go So-Fla folks! Snap us a photo or two of that Miami kit!:)

9. Zman Gunner

Zman Gunner BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 7, 2003
    Middletown, DE
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here is the 1994 Brazil World Cup squad along with their years of brith. Most of these players have retired from the game - not sure a gig in Miami would cause them to move but you never know. Branco is the only one to have already played in the USA but he will be 42 this year. Cafu and Ronaldo are still playing in Europe - Romario is still in Brazil. If I had to make a guess, someone like Viola might be the signing due to his age and the fact that he still has been somewhat playing in competitive leagues in the last few years.

G – Taffarel 1964, Zetti 1965, Gilmar 1959
    D – Jorginho 1964, Cafu 1970, Aldair 1965, Branco 1964, Marcio Santos 1965, Ricardo Rocha 1962, Ronaldao 1965
    M – Leonardo 1966, Rai 1965, Dunga 1963, Mauro Silva 1968, Zinho 1968, Paulo Sergio 1969, Mazinho 1966
    F – Romario 1966, Bebeto 1964, Muller 1966, Ronaldo 1976, Viola 1969

10. Nesta007

Nesta007 New Member

Mar 18, 2002
    Honolulu, HI
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anybody know how soon or where we'll be able to get a glimpse of the jersey? I'm stuck at freaking work and I don't want to wait to watch the crappy local news when I get home. Maybe the Herald website? Or possibly the USL website. If anybody finds out, let me know. I'm psyched!

11. MGFan

MGFan New Member

Jun 8, 2005
    Boston, MA USA
    Announced!! it's Zinho!

12. Zman Gunner

Zman Gunner BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 7, 2003
    Middletown, DE
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. edcalvi

edcalvi Moderator
    Staff Member

Olimpia
    Guatemala
    May 1, 2005
    US
    Thats so kool, I really hope this team is successful this season. ;)

14. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MIAMI FC HELD THEIR INAUGURAL PRESS CONFERENCE

MIAMI FC PRESENTED THE COACHES, PLAYERS AND SEVERAL IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENTS INCLUDING THE SIGNING OF A FORMER BRAZILIAN WORLD CUP CHAMPION

Miami, FL- March 14, 2006- This Tuesday at the Sheraton Miami Mart Hotel, new USL franchise, Miami FC, held their inaugural press conference, during which they presented the executives, coaches and players the club has signed thus far. The team also announced and presented the signing of a former Brazilian World Cup Champion.

Julio Mariz, the President of Traffic Sports (founder and owner Miami FC) greeted the people present at the Press Conference and spoke about how Traffic Sports came up with the idea of bringing professional soccer back to South Florida.

Luiz Muzzi, Miami FC General Manager, explained how Miami FC has implemented Traffic’s vision thus far including: selection of the coaching staff and players, pre-season in Brazil and pre-season matches.

After Muzzi’s comments, Miami FC introduced the following 16 players who have been officially signed to date including:

Goalkeepers
    Hunter Gilstrap- Played 3 years at Clemson University and his senior year for College of Charleston.
    Chris Doyle- Spent last three seasons with the Charleston Battery of the USL.

Defenders
    Stephane Guillaume- International player from Haiti, he played for Colorado Rapids of the MLS in 2005.
    John Ramos- Veteran defender who played in Germany and for various teams in the U.S., including the Miami Fusion.
    Michael Erush- Played for the U.S. National Team at the Under-14 and Under-17 levels and now joins Miami FC from Chivas USA.
    Tre Lee- Tre is a student and soccer player at the University of California at Riverside. In 2004 he received an honorable mention from the Big West Athletic Conference.
    John Paul (“JP”) Rodrigues- Miami FC’s first pick of the 2006 USL Draft. In 2005 he played for the PDL’s Nashville Metros and Belmont University and was named Atlantic Sun Conference defender of the year.

Midfielders
    Mario Rodriguez- Guatemalan international. He arrives from Guatemalan champion side, Municipal. He is one of the better known players in his country. In 2005, he played for the Columbus Crew in the MLS.
    Diego Walsh- Brazilian. He was the first pick of the 2003 MLS Draft. During the last three years he played for the Columbus Crew and the Kansas City Wizards in the MLS.
    Pedro Power- He is a Bolivian-American from Miami. In High School, he led Braddock Senior High to the Regional Semifinals. In College, he was the leading scorer for Slippery Rock in Pennsylvania.
    Artie Bartholomew- In 2005 he played soccer in Belgium. In college he played one year for Washington, and his last three for Penn.
    Sean Fraser- He is an international player from Jamaica. He is arriving to Miami FC from Jamaican side, Harbor View.
    Fabian Sandoval- In 2005 he played for Bakersfield Brigade in PDL. He is a Mexican-American who graduated from Cal State Bakersfield.

Forwards
    Onandi Lowe- He is a Jamaican international who was part of the “Reggae Boyz” that represented Jamaica in World Cup 1998 in France. He arrives to Miami FC from Jamaican side, Portmore United.
    Luc Harrington- He was the captain and leading scorer for the University of California, Riverside.
    John Pulido- Colombian. Player for and graduated from Florida International University. Played for FC Dallas in 2005.

The team also announced that the following two players who have been invited to participate in the team’s preseason in Brazil where they will be evaluated by the coaching staff:

Walter Ramirez- He is Honduran and played the Copa Latina with Real Honduras.
    Oscar Gil- He is Colombian and played the Copa Latina for American United.

Miami FC then revealed the signing of the Brazilian 1994 World Cup champion. Julio Mariz, Luiz Muzzi and his teammates greeted him and presented him with the Official Miami FC jersey. For more information on this player, please see the separate press release which covers his signing in detail.

To conclude the press conference, Miami GM, Luiz Muzzi, spoke about the team’s pre-season in Brazil, the home of Miami FC - Tropical Park, the inaugural home match on Sunday, April 16 at 4PM vs. Portmore United (Jamaican and Caribbean Champion), the regular season home opener vs. Montreal Impact on Sunday April 23 at 4PM and ticket prices:

Reserved Seating: $25
    East Stands:$15 (adults)$8 (children)
    West Stands:$10 (adults)$6 (children)

15. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MIAMI FC ANNOUNCES THE SIGNING OF A WORLD CUP CHAMPION

ZINHO, 1994 WORLD CUP CHAMPION WITH BRAZIL ARRIVES IN MIAMI TO LEAD NEW CLUB, MIAMI FC

Miami, FL, March 14, 2006- Miami FC announced today the signing of Brazilian midfielder, Zinho, World Cup winner with Brazil in the 1994 World Cup.

Crizam Cesar de Oliveira Filho, better known as “Zinho”, is the new and stellar addition to the only professional soccer club in South Florida. The 38-year-old player was key in leading the star-filled Brazilian midfield that won the World Cup USA 1994. Zinho started alongside world-renowned Romario, Bebeto, Dunga and Taffarel in all of the 7 games that culminated in Brazil’s fourth World Cup championship.

During his soccer career, Zinho played 50 games for the Brazilian National Team scoring 6 goals and recording countless assists.

On a national and Latin American level, Zinho is one of the most successful players in the history of soccer, having won the most important soccer titles in Brazil and the entire region, most on more than one occasion. His long list of titles includes: five Brazilian Championships, three Brazilian Cups, one Copa Libertadores, one Copa Mercosur, three Rio de Janeiro state titles, and two Sao Paulo titles.

Zinho is particularly adored by the Flamengo fans, the club with the most followers in the world. He helped them win the 1987 and 1992 Brazilian Championships and recently returned to start for the team until December 2005.

This talented midfielder also played for Palmeiras club in Brazil where he won the Brazilian Championship in 1993 and 1994 and Copa Libertadores in 1999.

More recently, Zinho won the Brazilian Championship with Cruzeiro in 2001.

On an international level, Zinho, as well as many of his Brazilian teammates from the World Cup USA 1994, played in the Japanese-A League. From 1995 to 1997 he stared on the Yokohama Flugels, one of the most successful teams in the Japanese league.

16. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Photos of the press conference to come.

And in case you missed it in my posts:
    Reserved Seating: $25
    East Stands:$15 (adults)$8 (children)
    West Stands:$10 (adults)$6 (children)

17. yankiboy

yankiboy New Member

Sep 2, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Why couldn't you guys have just started off like Puerto Rico did back in 2003, like any good expansion franchise? At least as far as competitiveness goes?

"Oh, no". You guys gotta put together a sweet, internationally seasoned lineup, what appears (at least on paper) to be a wonderful blend of players with Latin flair and players that already know how to play US style soccer.

You guys are botching it for the expansion clubs that follow you. I would have really preferred that you have used our debut handbook instead of the one that you are using.

And you guys were "worried" about what was taking place behind the scenes...

18. Rei de Boston

Rei de Boston New Member

Mar 16, 2004
    Nice work Prime. That's decent pricing for tickets. Did they also unveil the jerseys?

19. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well I am a RSL fan too, so maybe the soccer gods decided to go easy on me this year.

And yes the Jerseys were unveiled. I should be posting them sometime today.

20. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From another MFC fan who attended the press conference:
    I hope to purchase season tickets when they go on sale on March 23. Their website will also be fully functional by that time too. http://www.miamifc.com

The field is being worked on: They are replacing the grass which was Bermuda Grass with some good Jamaican stuff. I think its called "celebration grass"!

22. NORML

NORML Member+

Aug 9, 2002
    Lake Wobegon, MN
    Club:
    NSC Minnesota Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    thanks for sharing all the info, Soccerprime. Did you attend the press conference? If so could you expand a bit on this part of the press release:

Also seeing you guys sign Lowe and now announcing a match against Portsmore kinda explains the MiamiFC sign board at the CCC match in Houston.

I'll refrain from making a comment on the name of the new field turf from Jamaica.:D

23. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I did not attend, but I have a great network of contacts in Miami, including several MFC staffers.

As for the Mariz comment, I believe he was referring to the large Latin population in South Florida, left vacant by the Fusion. He also spoke about the market being large enough for 2 USL teams (ie return of the Strikers next year).

24. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  25. Newtbomb

Newtbomb Member

Mar 24, 2001
    South Florida
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great work keeping us updated, SoccerPrime (and River). I wanted to be there for the press conference, but my time was limited. I love the known names they are pulling in! I really thought this would be a team of unknowns & hacks (to the casual fan, that is).
    Now, if I could only get Sunday nights off from work for the summer....:(
    Time to quit, I think! ;)
    Question is, will I be able to see any matches on TV? Probably not, huh? Unless, of course, Florida Sports Channel picks it up....
    By the way, the cooperation with Portmore United also seems to stem from them giving Onandi Lowe a second chance at a career {he was acquitted in early 2005 of trying to smuggle crack into England} and subsequently having to trade him to someone who could pay proper for his talent. Although, I'm just speculating here...............