2006 MLS's Most Disappointing

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by midwestsurfer, Sep 9, 2006.

1. midwestsurfer

midwestsurfer New Member

Jun 7, 2005
    Honolulu~Tulsa
    Reading through the various soccer mags, blogs, and news sites, I started musing about the biggest disappointments of the 2006 season.

So what do you think? What has been the biggest disappointment and just totally not lived up to the hype?

Eddie Johnson - Once he was the hottest striker in MLS and on the USMNT. He seemed destine for greatness last year. But after one hurt toe, several tantrums, and a trade north to KC, is he the biggest bust of '06?

Clint Mathis - Had a lot of us excited when he came back last year, but never lived up to the hype. A trade to Colorado and I think most of us still had our fingers crossed. Will we ever see the real Mathis again?

Landon Donovan - Had a lame summer vacation, injured over the all-star break, can he carry the Gals? Or is he simply just not the wonder kid that we pinned our hopes on.

Red Bull - Started off by renovating locker rooms, paying for fan bus trips and bidding for Ronaldo. Excitement was at fever levels as far as what Red Bull could accomplish with their billions. But what have they accomplished?

Eastern Conference - Far superior to the weak West last year. But weak enough this year that the four worst point tallies in MLS are all in the East. Seriously?

LA Galaxy - Won the double last year, but back to their under achieving ways. Did anyone expect them to be quite as bad as they have been?

FC Dallas VS Houston - Replaced one of the fiercest rivalries in MLS, but the only beef between these teams seems to be being in the same state and tail gating complaints.

Bridgeview - Looks great. But I bet there are at least a few people out their still disappointed with how the stadium played out.

Anything else, just tack it on.

The poll got deleted off the first post, so this is try #2

2. Fanaddict

Fanaddict Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    streamwood IL USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know what your talking about. I think toyota park is great. Has a great atmosphere. If you're talking about attendance the fire never is going to draw wednesdays unless their playing a mexican team.No TP is not perfect but a great improvement over Soldier Field.

3. Kung Fu Hamster

Kung Fu Hamster New Member

Jun 23, 2006
    Philadelphia
    I nominate the entire 2006 New England Revolution team. After a fantastic 2005 I had realistically expected a dip in quality, but not this much. The standings show the team in a precarious 3rd place right now, but it's only because the non-DC part of the conference is soooo bad also.

4. DoctorD

DoctorD Member+

Sep 29, 2002
    MidAtlantic
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed.

5. jade1mls

jade1mls Member

Jul 9, 2006
    Seattle
    Landon should win this by a mile. Not because of what he did or didn't do in MLS but because of what he did not do at the World Cup where he POORLY REPRESENTED MLS in front of 2 billion people.

6. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    John O'Brien.

5 minutes playing time; $270,000 salary

7. rudyirons

rudyirons New Member

Jul 31, 2005
    Long Beach, CA
    AEG moving the Quakes to Houston.

8. kronz21

kronz21 Member

Mar 17, 2006
    cleveland
    quit hating on donovan it is horribly too played out he wasnt that bad maybe not what he was in 2002 but i gurantee he'll be there in 2010 and back to form in mls next year. just like johnson well be back to form next year as for mathis well hes a lost cause which has been obvious for awhile now, he just doesnt want it bad enough

9. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What exactly do you think is disappointing about Bridgeview? It appears to be a great stadium.

10. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess you could call EJ's performance disappointing.

But since many Dallas fans intimately familiar with him expected him to have an off-year, is that really what you'd call "disappointing"?

Back in December, I posted in USA Men News & Analysis:

https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=284602&page=2&highlight=Johnson

I took a bit of heat from some USMNT fans for being too negative about EJ back then.

But you have to wonder, when, if ever Eddie will regain his form of a year or two ago.

11. midwestsurfer

midwestsurfer New Member

Jun 7, 2005
    Honolulu~Tulsa
    Ya, guess I forgot about the Revs. Just sort of put up the entire East.

As for EJ, ya, I suppose being a Dallas fan I should have known. But I'm a little removed from Texas and had only highlights and stats to go off of.

I think Bridgeview is great. But reading around it sounds like some people don't feel like it lived up to the hype.

John O'Brien would have been a great one.... but because of his disappearing act after the WC, I didn't even think of him.

12. scaryice

scaryice Member

Jan 25, 2001
    Donovan is having a good year when he's actually been on the field. Still one of the top 5 players in the league.