2006 Iowa College Soccer thread

Discussion in 'College & Amateur Soccer' started by Buzz Killington, Aug 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This thread last season had quite a bit of discussion on IIAC and other Iowa college soccer so it's back for it's 2006 season.

Go Dutch. :)

I'll be up there this weekend for the Alumni game so I'll try and have a report on them.

2. IowaBoy

IowaBoy Member

Jul 23, 2003
    Des Moines
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    how the mighty have fallen, once automatic number 1 pick year after year, Luther is now fighting to make the tournament.

After the alumni game this year, I will say, Central looks strong this year with a very good attack. They have a transfer who just came in who will push for the starting goalie spot. The one thing I've noticed is a lack of size and speed in the back.

4. sideways

sideways New Member

Aug 30, 2006
    So...how about that alumni game report that you promised?

5. sideways

sideways New Member

Aug 30, 2006
    Never mind...for some reason it wasn't displaying til after I posted. But really...you call that a report? I guess detail is not your strong suit.

6. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

LOL not really, I was in a lot of pain during the game, I played with a torn ACL. But basically you could tell the guys were in pre-season a lot of them weren't at full game strength and fit for 90 minutes of play. Also a few of the players according to coach were injured and didn't play. Those players were still figuring in the possiblity of the starting lineup

But they are gonna be strong this year, and without having seen the other teams in the conference, I'd think that they will definitly be challenging for the conference title.

7. IowaBoy

IowaBoy Member

Jul 23, 2003
    Des Moines
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Luther returns a lot, so hopefully a year older means a year better. How the mighty have fallen indeed, kuhnscoot. I remember Luther's run in the NCAA tourney my freshman year, I believe we made the Sweet 16 if not the Elite 8.

Seems like a LONG time ago the way things are going now...ugh...

Edit: According to Luther's site, there are 16 returning letter winners

8. sideways

sideways New Member

Aug 30, 2006
    kuhnscoot...you played with a torn ACL and in a lot of pain? Are you mental? I hope the alums didn't need you too badly. And I hope the varsity whipped you guys good or else I don't know about that contend for conference title idea. Just curious...how many alums need attention for pulled hammys, rolled ankles, pulled quads, etc after the game?

9. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I played for about 20 mins total in about 5-7 min spurts or so. Nothing too serious. And the varsity team did dominate us, thanks to 2 "great" PK calls from the women's coach who was reffing, we were up 2-0 for a bit, then the varsity played more seriously and were able to take it to us.

Well after the game everyone seemed to have some ice on, but overall most of the guys are still playing somewhere in men's leagues.

10. sideways

sideways New Member

Aug 30, 2006
    thanks for the scoop...get well and see you back here after Hamline game.

11. sideways

sideways New Member

Aug 30, 2006
    Central...what happened? Game #1 jitters? Outshot Hamline 27-10 and dominate play only to lose 2-1. Heard that coach is experimenting quite a bit with lineup. Gotta say that Hamline is efficient.

12. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have no clue what happened, The guys that were seniors this year were sophomores when I graduated so I don't talk to many guys actually on the team any more. A guy I graduated with is now one of the JV coaches I'll try to ask him and see what's up.

I wouldn't be surprised with the experimenting of the lineup, he's got a lot of talent in the midfield and up front. The question this year will be the defense, and how they play.

13. IowaBoy

IowaBoy Member

Jul 23, 2003
    Des Moines
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In Luther's first game, they lost to Rhodes College on the road 2-0. They then beat Millsaps 1-0 in OT, also at Rhodes College in Memphis, TN.

14. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Central beat Grinell on Sat 3-1. Cody Stoermer was involved in all 3 of the goals, one of which was a bicycle kick.

This is surprising in a way, because from my talks with Coach Laidlaw at the alumni game, apparently Grinell brought in 3 players that were D-1 caliber.

15. doolittledog2

doolittledog2 Member

Jun 17, 2002
    Iowa
    Whoa!!! Dubuque isn't picked for last place?!?! I'm not sure that has ever happened.:D I went there so I can make fun of them.

For anybody that is interested there is an Iowa Conference thread over at www.bigfootball.com or directly at http://www.bigfootball.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=55 hope to see some of you there.

16. firesting81

firesting81 Member+

Jan 16, 2001
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa
    In case there was any doubt that the Cedar Rapids metro area was devoid of much college soccer talent. NAIA Mt. Mercy tied Coe 1-1 the other day. Maybe they'll enjoy greater success.

17. hoodink

hoodink New Member

Aug 9, 2005
    Cedar Rapids has soccer talent, just happens to be most of it moves out of CR. Ashley Hamblin was named soccertimes.coms national player of the week. Jake Settle was also named big 10 player of the week.

18. IowaBoy

IowaBoy Member

Jul 23, 2003
    Des Moines
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I know CRSA has had some good teams, and Heartland as well, although most of the best Heartland clubs are younger, I believe.

19. hoodink

hoodink New Member

Aug 9, 2005
    You are right though, the colleges around CR suck. They were bad back in the early 90's when we first started playing against them at Luther.

20. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And yet right before I got to college Central were making them look like all pros. LOL then the Dutch program turned around.

21. sideways

sideways New Member

Aug 30, 2006
    Hello Loras...after graduating so many seniors, you sure reloaded quickly! Things are looking very good for you so far this year. Hello Wartburg...you probably have one of the toughest schedules in all D3 and yet you keep getting the job done. Hello Central...are you still there? So far your play does not equal the hype.

22. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now the real part of the season starts, non-conference play is basically over, and conference play has started.

Central opened with a 5-0 win over Cornell yesterday to start conference play. Course this is a Cornell team that has yet to win this season.

Saturday brings a full slate of games with 4 conference games being played while Coe is in Colorado.

Conference I see coming down to Wartburg, Loras, and Central, course this is just based on my guessing from last years form and looking at records for this year, so take it with a grain of salt.

23. sideways

sideways New Member

Aug 30, 2006
    First week in October will be an interesting one for Loras. They travel to Wartburg on a Wed and three days later travel to Central. Should be fun.

24. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    will definitly be a telling sign for their season.

it's gonna be interesting watching the women's side this season, cause the women's regular season champ hosts the conference tournament for both the men and the women this season.

25. sideways

sideways New Member

Aug 30, 2006
    9/23: Wartburg cruises, Loras struggles, Cental stubs toe again. But regular season conference title still in each team's own fate against each other. Anyone know anything about St. Ambrose? They are in Davenport, I think.