2006 Florida Gators [R]

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by UFGator98, Aug 25, 2006.

1. YHUGDAD

YHUGDAD New Member

Jun 17, 2005
    Massachusetts
    I think this is where the Gator coaching staff would disagree. Attacking backs can make a huge impact on a game. This is not an easy part of the game. From what I saw I think the backs will steadily improve at this and by the time the playoffs begin they will be attacking out of the back more regularly.

2. UFGator98

UFGator98 Member

Aug 13, 2001
    Florida
    An early 1st half goal from Ameera Abdullah stands up as the Gators win at Vandy, 1-0. Bishop the assist. Weird match as Florida controlled a lot of the possession, but then they'd get sloppy and give the ball away and gave Vandy multiple chances to equalize, including a chance in the closing seconds that Goodwin got just enough of to keep deflect out. Just way too many turnovers and sloppy passes. Florida did score a 2nd goal, but it was called back on a horrible offsides call. Oh well. It's a win and they move into 1st in the SEC with USC's loss, so can't complain too much, I guess. If Vandy was better at finishing they would've won, they missed several point blank opportunities.

3. UFGator98

UFGator98 Member

Aug 13, 2001
    Florida
    Gators and Kentucky tie, 0-0. Not much to say about this one. I could rant about the horrible officiating, but I don't have all day. Kentucky plays an absolutely ugly brand of soccer, but to their credit, they got Florida out of their rhythm. It was pretty much the ugliest match I've seen in a while. If you were trying to get someone to become a soccer fan, this is not the match you'd show them. It was just a very frustrating game for the Gators, they just never looked right and Kentucky had a lot to do with that. The way they play just frustrates the heck out of you. Neither team had many chances, though UK had the best chance in OT, a shot that hit off the crossbar. Ties suck, but Florida still leads the SEC and controls it's own destiny as long as they take care of business from here on out. They can't have another tie or loss.

4. Cali-Gator Mom

Cali-Gator Mom New Member

Aug 20, 2006
    Another boring, lets pass the ball around with no pressure on us and think we can score without being aggressive toward the goal. Ugly. We have the talent to put 3 to 4 goals in on each of these teams and refuse to attack. So much time wasted, then when they finally realize time is running out, players forget about TEAM and try to do it all themselves. I love this team, but they have to do better. I don't think Kentucky took us out of our game, we just refuse to use our talent to destroy these teams.

5. G8RDAD

G8RDAD New Member

Feb 13, 2006
    Interesting tactics during the Ky game. We were facing a 4-5-1 and their midfielders were pretty strong and aggressive. We had difficulties getting the ball out of the midfield to the forwards. The mids could have created better chances if they had crossed the ball early to open forwards, but time after time we would try to go one-on-three and eventually would lose the ball. The announcers were surprising candid about the blown chances.

On the rare occasion that the forwards actually got the ball in attacking position, they did create chances. The problem is the we could not get too many good looks. Perhaps when facing strong midfields we should just use British tactics and bypass the mids altogether by serving it up from the defense directly to the forwards.

You are correct: the TEAM was not evident on Sunday and nobody seems hungry to score.

6. Cali-Gator Mom

Aug 20, 2006
    I agree with you!! The coaches should make adjustments in each game when we see what our opponent is trying to do. There are times when you may have to put a ball over the top and run on to it. Has anyone else realized besides me that we have one of the fastest teams in the country? Why not take advantage of this. Check out the speed of, AA, AE, KG, AH, AN. We need the ball up top to score!!

7. UFGator98

UFGator98 Member

Aug 13, 2001
    Florida
    I'd put the speed of this team against any in the country, for sure. That's the frustrating part, the system isn't designed to use the team speed. They want to play this pretty style that strings 5-6 passes together, but that doesn't utilize the greatest asset the team has and that is their speed. The passing allows the defense to recover. A long ball over the top has to be in the arsenal for this team and it just doesn't seem to be.

8. Cali-Gator Mom

Aug 20, 2006
    Thank you, thank you, thank you. It is so great to know that I am not the only one seeing this. I heard the commentators saying that UF is trying to play, "total football", that's fine, but "total" means scoring goals, the main objective of the game. These girls are talented, they can do it, the coaches need to make the adjustments. Put the ball in the back of the net. I would love to hear the names of the offense being called more than, defense passing to defense passing to defense. UH OH, Game Over! :)

9. UFGator98

UFGator98 Member

Aug 13, 2001
    Florida
    Another week, another frustrating OT game. At least Florida won this one and didn't have to settle for their 3rd tie. Florida controlled most of the play. Ole Miss had a couple of good scoring chances in the 1st half, but Goodwin was there with some nice saves to keep them out of the net. The 2nd half and OT was pretty much all Florida. Florida scored a weird goal about 5 minutes into OT. Abdullah took what looked to be an off balance shot, I almost think she was trying to cross it, but it somehow floated over Shelton's head and into the back right corner for the win. Esp. strange since Abdullah scores all her goals in the 1st 7 minutes of a match. Shelton wasn't expecting that shot. It's a big win because Ole Miss had been undefeated in the league and coupled with Tennessee's loss, Florida has an advantage over those teams that is more than a game in the standings, although Vandy is still on their tails.

I said it was a frustrating game and it was. Florida fell into the same trap as they did at Kentucky. The middle was clogged, yet they still tried to force passes through the middle. Florida had such superior team speed against Ole Miss, not seeing more long balls to free the speedsters over the top was disconcerting. I'm not about to call any players out, but Florida has a midfielder who has no business being on the field. If she's not turning the ball over, she's committing a stupid foul. She does it every single game and I can't understand why Becky keeps starting her. If you watch the games, you know exactly who I'm talking about. 4 regular season matches. They continue to control their own destiny, so let's hope they can get some more wins.

10. G8RDAD

G8RDAD New Member

Feb 13, 2006
    Certainly another frustrating game. The defense continues to play with the ball in the defensive third and a couple of bad touches could (should) have been converted into Ole Miss goals - if it were not for great saves by the keeper. I did think Goodwin had a really good game.

The Gator offense would be more potent if they would serve the ball out of the defense occasionally. They do use the full width of the field, but the long ball will also open up the length of the field. With our fast forwards, we could put a lot of pressure on defenses and create more opportunities.

I too get frustrated by the unnecessary fouls and bad touches by the player your are referring to. But I have to give her credit for being a strong defensive mid that can win balls and when she is out the midfield seems disorganized. But she really needs to improve her passing (often there is not enough pace on the ball and it gets intercepted).

The player who frustrates me is a mid that looses the ball 90% of the time because she wants to go one-on three. If she would look up she might find some team mates to pass to for easy goals. Even when she crosses the ball, I'm unsure if it is actually a shot or a cross. I noticed that she often doesn't keep the shape and tends to crowd forwards when the attack comes from the other side. But she does score, so there is no incentive for her to recognize the team aspect of the game. Some applaud this type of play because she scores, others like me, wonder how much better the team would be if everyone played together.

A win is a win.

11. UFGator98

UFGator98 Member

Aug 13, 2001
    Florida
    Other than a lazy defensive play that gave up a late goal, Florida played pretty well in a 3-1 win over Miss. State. Napolitano scored a beautiful goal about 11 minutes in, then Abdullah was fouled in the box and Bishop ripped home the pk and the final goal was a beautiful pass from Bishop to a wide open Abdullah who drilled the left footed shot for a goal. It was a good bench clearing game as 22 players saw action. Not much to say about it, Florida controlled everything from start to finish.

12. UFGator98

UFGator98 Member

Aug 13, 2001
    Florida
    Congrats to Ameera Abdullah, 2 weeks in a row she's the SEC's offensive player of the week. The Gators reentered the Soccer America poll at #21 after being out the last few weeks. Up to #12 in Soccer Buzz

13. Cali-Gator Mom

Aug 20, 2006
    You are not the first to question the production from this mid-fielder. I think the goalie has more assists, but the coaches seem to like her.

14. UFGator98

UFGator98 Member

Aug 13, 2001
    Florida
    You are correct. Wow, that is a telling stat, for sure. I didn't even realize Brittni had an assist, but now that I think about it, I remember the ball she sent to Napolitano who just ran down the field and scored against Jacksonville. I looked it up and 16 players, in fact, have more assists than this MF. Oh well. I'm not a coach, they must see something in her that they like. I don't know what that could possibly be.

15. Soccer1161

Soccer1161 New Member

Oct 17, 2006
    After seeing Friday nights game against Ole' Miss and then reading the Gatorzone story about the match, the coaches are definitely seeing another game. Coach Burleigh complimented so many players that really had little or no impact on the game. If the midfield was doing such great things, I don't think the Gators would have had to rely on Abdullah to hit a shot in overtime. I hope the rugby playing midfielder does not cost the Gators an SEC Championship by making a foolish foul in a big time game.

16. UFGator98

UFGator98 Member

Aug 13, 2001
    Florida
    I think you hit the nail on the head. The coaches are seeing something else out there, which is the only reason the rugby playing mf is still playing. It's not in the best interest of the team to haver her out there, esp. when there are many, and I mean many players on the bench who are better. I hope it doesn't cost them an SEC title or down the line in the NCAA tournament. I'm frustrated as a fan, but I'm also frustrated for the players on the bench who have proven they are better in what little time they do get. They deserve better.

17. Soccer1161

Soccer1161 New Member

Oct 17, 2006
    Again it comes down to coaching. The Gators have had a successful season so far, but have not beaten a GOOD team. The coaches must realize that once you leave the SEC for the NCAA tourney, you have to play to win, not tie, and get results from all positions on the field. Passing the ball in the defense does not put goals in the net. The middies have to be able to send quality through balls or balls over the top, to give the offense opportunities. I hope they find a midfielder to get it done.

18. UFGator98

UFGator98 Member

Aug 13, 2001
    Florida
    Florida beats Arkansas 1-0 in 2 OT. Another frustrating game sees Florida completely control the run of play but unable to put it away in regulation. Lot of really quality chances tonight, some really pretty passing, but they lacked the finishing touch. Arkansas' goalie had some nice saves and the D cleared a ball off the backline about 5 minutes in. It looked like Florida had won it in the 1st OT, but they called Bishop offsides. Close call, a lot of them in this game, none seeming to go the Gators way. Then in the 2nd OT, Ashley Harris was fouled in the box, running to a free ball and no call. But she didn't let that get her down as no more than 30 seconds later, she hit a perfectly placed ball out of the reach of the keeper for the win. It's one step closer to the SEC title. A win in one of the next 2 games seals it, no matter what the other teams do.

19. UFGator98

UFGator98 Member

Aug 13, 2001
    Florida
    Another frustrating game. This is getting to sound like a broken record. Horrible field conditions due to a monsoon of rain in Baton Rouge last night really seemed to hurt the Gators. Florida couldn't even fly into BR because of the weather, they were rerouted to Lafayette. Standing water all over the place wreaked havoc with their style. The game ends in a 1-1 tie, though it feels like a loss cause LSU isn't a team they should be tying. UF fails to wrap up the SEC today, though it depends on the Vandy, UT and USC results. If all lose or tie, then they do wrap it up. otherwise, they'll need at least a tie next week to do that. the team just sounded uninspired out there, though they did battle back to tie in the 78th minute, Stacy Bishop assisting Ashlee Elliott's goal. Was hoping they wouldn't have the pressure on them in the last game on the road against a very good South Carolina team, but it looks like they will. It will be very disappointing if they don't win the SEC regular season title. 1 game to get it done on Friday, hopefully they come out more inspired than they have the last few matches.

20. G8RDAD

G8RDAD New Member

Feb 13, 2006
    The Gators seem to lack field leadrship. I haven't seen anyone step up, take charge and direct the action. With so many young players - someone needs to fill the role.

Their urgency of play (or lack of) is the same whether they up a goal or down a goal. Hopefully they can find someone....

Auburn just beat Tenn on a PK in the second overtime (2-1). Both Auburn goals were PKs.

21. UFGator98

UFGator98 Member

Aug 13, 2001
    Florida
    They got some help with Tennessee losing and South Carolina tying Arkansas, so they have wrapped up the top seed in the tournament and at least a share of the title. Win or tie on Friday or a Vandy loss or tie on Friday and they get the title all to themselves.

As for the leadership, that's where they miss a player like Mel Booth. Not only is she a great player, but she's a great leader. With such a small senior class and the only senior really seeing playing time being Goodwin, the juniors and underclassmen are gonna have to step up. someone like Bishop needs to own that role.

22. Soccer1161

Soccer1161 New Member

Oct 17, 2006
    Was hoping the Gators would be inspired to beat LSU for Bishops sake. The Gators have to be able to adjust their style of play, whether the fields are drenched or the wind is blowing. This is only the beginning. Once the two tourneys start, the Gators will face all types of teams and conditions. I agree with the lack of leadership. I'm still waiting for the midfielders to make early passes to assist on goals.

23. Soccer1161

Soccer1161 New Member

Oct 17, 2006
    Not really sure if Bishop wants that role, watch her body language after a goal. She doesn't seem to embrace all of her teammates with the unity needed to lead. She probably has a lot of pressure on her.

24. Cali-Gator Mom

Aug 20, 2006

Hope someone lights a fire before the tournaments start. Lack of urgency is something we have been dealing with all season.
    I think the fans at the Chicago Fire game lit a fire behind the goal after a score today, maybe we can take note:)

25. UFGator98

UFGator98 Member

Aug 13, 2001
    Florida

Yeah, she's admittedly very shy and not vocal. But she makes things go with her passing and offense, she would be the ideal candidate. Of course, at this late stage of the season, if they haven't found a leader, I doubt they will. It's not a quality you can really teach. It's disappointing cause this team has so much talent and the ability to go deep in the tournament. I just fear another early exit, but hope that's not the case.