2006 Florida Gators [R]

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by UFGator98, Aug 25, 2006.

1. UFGator98

UFGator98 Member

Aug 13, 2001
    Florida
    Florida 1, Portland 1- Final in 2OT. Rapinoe unassisted in the 16th minute. Bishop PK in the 85th minute for the Gators. Very entertaining game.

Well, I wasn't there in person but got to watch them on video. Best Florida team since they went to the College Cup a few years back. They have all the pieces to be extremely good this year, even with Booth redshirting. Stacy Bishop is a huge addition on the offense. Elliott looked great early, before she was slowed by some kind of injury. Abdullah is back 100% and looks great. The transfers Lyle and Davis, as well as Ruberry returning, really shore up the defensive side of things. The only real question mark I see is Goodwin in goal. This team has speed, skill, great chemistry and they really look to be having fun out there. In spite of rainy conditions, this was a really great soccer match to watch, esp. being the season opener. Two pretty equal teams from what I saw. Both had their chances to win in OT and regulation.

2. UFGator98

UFGator98 Member

Aug 13, 2001
    Florida
    Florida defeated a scrappy Kennesaw State squad today, 3-1. KSU had 2 shots on the day, 1 scored, the other hit the crossbar, so they were on target when they got they few chances. Florida looked sluggish and sloppy, almost a hangover from playing Portland the other night. Still, the managed to pull out the win. Harris, Napolitano and Elliott found the back of the net for the Gators

3. UFGator98

UFGator98 Member

Aug 13, 2001
    Florida
    So much for this Florida team being the best since 2001. They were flat against Kennesaw State last weekend, flat again tonight, losing 1-0 to Fresno State. Florida totally dominated, but their passing sucked, their finishing was worse and the Fresno keeper made some great saves. Fresno had 4 shots, they scored on a ball that deflected off a Gator defender. Totally uninspired effort. They've totally digressed after playing so well last Friday. The number of horrible passes and passes to no one, the opposition, etc. was just disgusting to watch. This team really is no different than years past. Shame, they fooled me into thinking otherwise with the performance last week.

4. galileo

galileo Member

Nov 23, 2005
    a little blue marble
    Yes, but it sounds like the opponents had something to do with that. I know you say that Florida totally dominated but the opponent must have done something to make Florida make bad decisions and execute poorly. I'm sure that if they didn't have any opponent they wouldn't have made those mistakes that you speak of. I didn't see the match but did they really digress or did their opponents make them make different decisions?

5. UFGator98

UFGator98 Member

Aug 13, 2001
    Florida
    I've been out of town, so sorry for anyone who reads this, for not updating.

After the loss to Fresno, UF rebounded with a 6-1 win over UL-Lafayette.

Last week, they really played well but lost to Florida State in Tallahassee, 1-0. Kuralay caught Goodwin off her line(recurring theme for her and really the only true weakness on this team, as far as talent goes) and ripped a beautifully placed looping shot from about 30 yards out for the only goal, about 3 minutes before half. I thought Florida controlled the run of play in the 2nd half, they had several good chances in both halves, but Mims was solid in goal. Still, I was impressed with the way they played. If they had played like that against Fresno, with passion and fire and desire, they wouldn't have lost. Florida State is just better right now.

Then on Sunday, they played a pretty bad Jacksonville team and won 7-0. It could've been much worse. Most everyone who was healthy got in to the game, so it was good game experience for some of the bench players.

Tonight, Florida beat Duke 1-0. Abdullah with the goal in the 5th minute. Duke really put the pressure on in the 2nd half and dominated play, but they were unable to equalize. Kind of different from Florida'd previous Friday games. In their first 3 Friday games, they gave up a 1st half goal and never led, while outplaying their foe in the 2nd half. Tonight, the roles were reversed, as they led early and hung on for dear life. It's a good win and next up is UNC on Sunday afternoon.

6. G8RDAD

G8RDAD New Member

Feb 13, 2006

Welcome back! We thought you weren't posting out of frustration with the Gators.

The Gators look really strong at times, and then suddenly appear to go brain dead and give the ball up at unfortunate times. This was true several times tonight, but they were able to recover to prevent Duke from scoring. The team is still green and prone to mistakes, but with time they should be solid. Although, they continue to be plagued by injuries.

Go Gators!

7. tarheelfan490

tarheelfan490 New Member

Nov 12, 2004
    arlington, va
  8. UFGator98

UFGator98 Member

Aug 13, 2001
    Florida
    UNC up on Florida 1-0 in the 2nd half. O'Reilly with a goal in the 1st half. Goodwin saved a PK from Averbusch. Officiating sounds like it's horrid. They are consistently calling offsides on UF and they are bad calls. Becky is livid on the sidelines. Yes, it's a UF announcer I'm listening to, but Becky doesn't get mad easily. Not really a surprise, we've seen this before with ACC officials.

9. UFGator98

UFGator98 Member

Aug 13, 2001
    Florida
    1-0 is the final.

10. RUfan

RUfan Member

Dec 11, 2004
    NJ
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks, gametracker quited at 68 minutes.

11. tarheelfan490

tarheelfan490 New Member

Nov 12, 2004
    arlington, va
    i know i might seem biased, but from where i was sittin (video booth at midfield), all of the offsides were correct and most of them were pretty unambiguous, though that didn't stop the strong uf turnout from voicing its displeasure. your keeper made a great save on the PK

12. G8RDAD

G8RDAD New Member

Feb 13, 2006
    I watched the game live through ACC Select. Even though the angles weren't the best, it was clear that some of the calls were incorrect. The commentator for the ACC Select game even wondered about some no-calls for UNC early on and a couple of the off-sides calls against UF in the second half.

One interesting call came towards the end of the second half. UF switched field and the linesman raised his flag for off-sides. He was anticipating the ball being sent to the forwards, but never actually went past the defenders. The referee looked dumfounded and finally awarded the off-sides anyway. This did not appear to be a seasoned crew.

However, UNC did capitalize on a defensive mistake by the Gators. Can't blame the officiating for our mistakes.

13. speedoblobb

speedoblobb New Member

Sep 1, 2003
    CHAPEL HILL
    Gators were tough today. Hats off to ya. The refs were average. The day was beautiful for spectators but still hot for the players. Its great to have so many good teams.

14. UFGator98

UFGator98 Member

Aug 13, 2001
    Florida
    Florida kicks off SEC play with a big win, taking down Auburn at Auburn, 3-1. Ashlee Elliott, who is really having a terrific freshman campaign, scored 2 first half goals off 2 assists from Liz Ruberry, as Florida dominated the opening 45. Auburn came out strong in the 2nd half and controlled play for about the first 30 minutes. During that point, they scored to cut the lead in half. The last 10-15 minutes were all Florida and Katie Green sealed the win with a goal in the 85th minute to give the Gators the final 3-1 margin. Really good win for this team to get them off to the right start in SEC play and according to the rankings, it's an upset, though I don't think so.

15. UFGator98

UFGator98 Member

Aug 13, 2001
    Florida
    Florida leads Bama 4-0 at half. I guess they are out to prove they can play soccer, since the Auburn coach feels Auburn totally controlled and dominated the match the other night against UF, even though they lost 3-1 and had only 1 shot on goal.

4-1 is the final.

16. Cali-Gator Mom

Cali-Gator Mom New Member

Aug 20, 2006
  17. Nacional Tijuana

Nacional Tijuana St. Louis City

St. Louis City SC
    May 6, 2003
    San Diego, Calif.
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Concerning last year, what ever happened to Dieter (I think her first name was Casey), from the state of Pennsylvania. Anyone know what ever happened to her?

18. UFGator98

UFGator98 Member

Aug 13, 2001
    Florida
    Whew, what a game. 4th largest crowd at UF of 3,859 witnessed a good one. It was 85 1/2 minutes of total frustration. Gators gave up an early goal to the Dawgs but controlled the rest of the match, unable to find the goal up to that point. Some amazing saves by Church in goal, as well as a little help from the post and crossbar. Finally, with about 4 minutes to play, Keleigh Hudson put home a deflected Napolitano shot to even things up. They went to OT where Bishop scored a beautiful goal off a free kick to keep Florida undefeated all time against UGA, 2-1. Such a huge win, to keep them undefeated in the league with a leg up on their rivals. This had the feeling of the Fresno State match, where Florida gave up an early goal and put on all kinds of pressure, but great goalie play kept them out of the net. Thankfully, tonight didn't end like that one. Huge match with Tennessee on Sunday. Win that and they are in great shape in the league.

19. UFGator98

UFGator98 Member

Aug 13, 2001
    Florida
    Tennesee won 2-1. For some reason, this team comes out flat and it only seems like they wake up once they give up a goal. Today, Tennessee outplayed them big time in the first half, scoring twice(though the 2nd goal was offsides and the ref missed it). Still, the way Florida played in the 1st half, they were lucky to only be down 2. As they seem to do, they mounted a comeback and pretty much controlled the 2nd half, but it wasn't enough. They got a goal with about 20 minutes left and continued to apply pressure as Tennessee was clearly tired(why do they have such a small bench?), but Johnson came up with some nice saves and a few other shots just went wide or high. Disappointing loss in that this was a huge game and they came out so uninspired. They can still win the league, but if they keep having to play from behind, they are in trouble. They need to jump on these teams early and play the entire game, not just a half.

20. G8RDAD

G8RDAD New Member

Feb 13, 2006
    I noticed that Tenn only had 18 players and did looked tired in second half. What did you think of Florida's substitutions? Do you think subs were used effectively to wear down the Tenn Players?

21. LDYVOLZSCCRDAD

LDYVOLZSCCRDAD New Member

Aug 27, 2005
    Tennessee only has two subs available....unless you count the two goalies that did not play. Injuries and a short bench have led to lots of playing time for the healthy. Florida had 182 minutes from their bench compared to 33 minutes for the Lady Vols...and that on a SUnday following a double OT tie at South Carolina Friday. On top of that, UTK has been on the road for the last 3 weeks.. Stanford, Ca. three weeks ago for a tourney, Ole Miss, Miss State, South Carollina and Florida the last two weeks. That is a major league travel schedule. Fitness is never in question for UTK. Survival, on the other hand is a must!

22. Cali-Gator Mom

Aug 20, 2006
    The slow, unmotivated build up in the back has cost us. I love a posession game, but it has to be quicker and with a greater urgency. Unless you are up by a few goals, the running clock is not your friend. These girls can play, but they need to be more aggressive to the goal. The attack and desire to put the ball in the net, has to exceed the desire to play, "pretty". It's only "pretty" when it amounts to a "W".

23. YHUGDAD

YHUGDAD New Member

Jun 17, 2005
    Massachusetts
    I watched the UGA game and thought it was the best tactically I have seen from a Gator team in four years. I think a new system takes time and practice under "fire". The backs will become more confident with each test and only get better as the season moves on. They have faced some stiff opposition and haven't conceded that many goals thus far.

24. galileo

galileo Member

Nov 23, 2005
    a little blue marble
    Sure, but when your "backs" have the ball you are probably not very threatening.

25. Cali-Gator Mom

Aug 20, 2006
    I agree. Any defense can pass the ball back and forth when there is no one pressuring. The object is to get the ball forward to score goals. Miscues in the back result in goals for your opponent. Whenever you pass the ball back, when not under pressure, it's a pass for the other team