2005 schedule [r]

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by RobtheAggie, Nov 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ictar

Ictar Member

Jun 18, 2002
    The Oklahoma Panhandle
    So is this match with England that is rumoured supposed to be home or away? I'm supposed to go to England next summer, and that'd be an awesome game to get my first cap at. =D

2. bigtoga

bigtoga Member

Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas, Texas
    You know, that would be the perfect friendly to introduce our USMNT team to FC Dallas' new stadium :D

3. SJB

SJB BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 8, 2001
    Wouldn't those be the dates for the 4th place CONCACAF vs 5th place Asian home and home qualifier? So they would be "open" but only after we assured ourself a top three spot. (I'm guessing about those dates but it would make sense)

4. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    for anyone who cares, that sunday is the bye week between the nfc/afc championship games and the super bowl.

from nfl dot com
    Conference Championships
    Sunday, Jan. 23 (CBS and FOX)
    AFC and NFC Championship Games

Super Bowl XXXIX
    Sunday, Feb. 6 (FOX)
    Alltel Stadium, Jacksonville, Fla.

5. DAGSports

DAGSports New Member

Sep 19, 2003
    I could see January 30th as a game against Sweden, most likely an all Swedish League team (with maybe a couple of Bundesliga players thrown in).

6. DAGSports

DAGSports New Member

Sep 19, 2003
    IMO US Soccer wouldn't play England away unless the FA paid them a lot to offset the ESPN airtime costs that couldn't be recouped through ticket sales.

7. ZiggyGalaxy

ZiggyGalaxy New Member

Sep 22, 2004
    Rumor has it it's supposed to be home in either Philly or NY/NJ (I would think it would be in NE, but I haven't heard that yet)...

England will play the US in one of those cities and another team will then play them in the other one...from what I heard...once again, JUST A RUMOR!

However, I don't think we'd travel away to play England...might be fun...but not likely...I go to England virtually every summer and I'd love to be there for this match...

8. DAGSports

DAGSports New Member

Sep 19, 2003
    In that case Giants Stadium wins because it's bigger and it's also about 20 miles from PepsiCo's world headquarters (Pepsi-Cola products sponsor both the US and England National Teams). And of course, Nike can have a field day marketing in NYC. You always want to kiss up to sponsors.

Having an MLS team also helps.

9. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    Several of the England players who have played in the CWS at Lincoln Field and Giants Stadium said they prefered the stadium in Philly, but the crowd in NY.

The second team that I heard was going to take part in the May England tour was Argentina.

10. Adam Zebrowski

Adam Zebrowski New Member

May 28, 1999
    alex fergueson likes the training facilities available at the linc, very upscale, cutting edge type...so england might want this aspect of it....

also, the pitch at the linc can be widened 5 meters on each side too...

11. Fulhamfc3

Fulhamfc3 New Member

Sep 26, 2004
    Las Vegas
    NYC has a huge market which would help for promoting the match and Football plus, there is probably more English in NYC.

12. Carson Galaxy

Carson Galaxy Member

Jun 14, 2001
    Downey, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.concacaf.com/view_article.asp?id=2823

Article states at the bottom that the Gold Cup will consist of 3 groups of 4 teams. It's about time they do this in my opinion. So you can add Match 3 to the Gold Cup section.

South Africa is one of the guest countries to play too.

13. GRUNT

GRUNT Member

Feb 27, 2001
    Lake Oswego, OR
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That works. It assures even the group losers of getting at least three matches. More bang for the little guys travel buck, and with six more matches overall, good for GC revenues, too.

14. Kevin Etzel

Kevin Etzel Member

Jul 18, 2000
    New York
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    An public address announcement was made at one of the last Metros home games that the Gold Cup was going to take place in the summer of 2005. I jumped to the conclusion that Giants Stadium will be one of the venues. I am waiting anxiously for the official announcement.

15. cocreator

cocreator New Member

Oct 27, 2004
    Mexico is supposed to play Sweden in early january i beleive,

and a couple of weeks later they are rumored to play either Spain or England
    in Guadalajara.

So I m thinking that the USA might be playing either England or Spain around the
    same time...?

16. SoulflyTribeFC

SoulflyTribeFC New Member

Mar 24, 2002
    Mexico was supposed to play either Spain or England on Feb. 9, according to their federation. However, they can't play England on that day for two reasons: one, that's the first day of the Hex and, two: England is playing Holland on that day.

Maybe they meant another day, but they said they wanted to celebrate some anniversary for Guadalajara and that was feb 9 specifically.

It would make sense for a Euro team to play both the US and Mexico in one trip, though.

17. kwik1980

kwik1980 New Member

May 27, 2003
    Norwich, NY
    Sweden-Mexico is confirmed for January 26, in California, stadium and kickoff time to be determined. In the SFF press release (In Swedish, of course, but you can see it here: http://www.svenskfotboll.se/t2vm.asp?p=7177&x=1&a=138435), they also say that there is a game on January 30th, also in California, opponent and venue to be determined.

Seems to block in perfectly, if the hex begins on February 9.

18. Davids26

Davids26 Member

May 31, 2000
  19. RobtheAggie

RobtheAggie Member+

Sep 10, 2001
    Middle Georgia
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. SoulflyTribeFC

Mar 24, 2002
    That story gives a lame excuse for not traveling out here. On FIFA.com, the fixtures list has Germany playing Japan in Yokohama, Korea in Busan and at Thailand somewhere (city not listed).

I've flown from LA to Tokyo and from SoCal to Frankfurt, never from Germany to Japan, but I think the Germany-to-Japan trip would be just as long as the first two, no?

I know the FIFA.com list isn't the most reliable source, but it's there nevertheless.

21. CG

CG Member

Jul 25, 2001
    Germans can probably make more money off the Japanese than the US.

22. SoulflyTribeFC

Mar 24, 2002
    Well, then the story should say that.

"German officials decided against playing in North America after projecting minimum monetary gains. However, a three-match trip to East Asia would be much more profitable and therefore more enticing."

23. CG

CG Member

Jul 25, 2001
    you aren't that naive are you?

24. SoulflyTribeFC

Mar 24, 2002
    Of course not. The story shouldn't try and give some clarification and cite a source or something instead of saying:

"Klinsmann is reluctant to take players on a distant trip during their last long break before preparations for the 2006 World Cup, which starts the following June 9."

Did he say he was reluctant? It's very unclear and very vague, and when I see that Germany has games scheduled for Asia, it makes me question the entire story.

25. picaraza

picaraza New Member

Jul 27, 2003
    California
    The article says that they do not want to travel so close to World Cup preparations: "Klinsmann is reluctant to take players on a distant trip during their last long break before preparations for the 2006 World Cup, which starts the following June 9."

The trip to Asia is in December 2004. The trip to North America is December 2005.

Makes sense.