2005 FIFA Confederations Cup Draw

Discussion in 'Mexico National Team' started by La China Poblana, Nov 1, 2004.

1. La China Poblana

May 13, 2003
    Chicago
  2. haragan

haragan Member

Jul 18, 2004
    Not easy but what's easy nowdays. I think that Mexico advances in second place behind Brasil and the Euro 2004 champs (cross my fingers) are out.

Mexico is lucky not to be in the same group as Argentina and Germany.

3. Hecho en Mexico

Hecho en Mexico Member+

Mar 22, 2002
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    we should go on to the next round with no problem. we are better than japan and greece.

i hope lavolpe makes good player selections.

4. SoulflyTribeFC

SoulflyTribeFC New Member

Mar 24, 2002
    Mexico should beat Japan and Greece. The Brazil game will be interesting. That would be good for 2nd place.

Then, in the semis, they'll play Germany in Germany or Argentina.

What a great tune-up for WCQ and the World Cup itself. So the next time somebody says the Gold Cup is meaningless, think again. Mexico will play at least two WC-bound nations, possibly a third, which could be the host itself.

5. JAOL24

JAOL24 New Member

Jan 14, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Good stuff cant wait to see us kick some but. I remember last confederation cup we were in, I woke up in the middle of the night and heard the games on my walkman. Man, what a disgrace and lost of sleep those games were. We better show some guts and kick some a$$.

6. Various Styles

Various Styles Member+

Mar 1, 2000
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Spoken like a true Idiot, allready underestimating the groups opponents.. .Tell me why should Mexico have no problems ? I would like to hear a valid explanation as to why the Mexican national team is vastly superior to their group opponents that they will not have any problems..

7. Deleted USer

Deleted USer Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    if that isnt the pot calling the kettle black.. i dont know what is... you have no room to ask for a "valid explanation"

i got one for you

this is as valid as it gets for you :D

[​IMG]

8. Various Styles

Various Styles Member+

Mar 1, 2000
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
  9. Hecho en Mexico

Hecho en Mexico Member+

Mar 22, 2002
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    in other words you think japan and greece are better than mexico? sh't, why not just support france or argentina?

goddamn nut rider

10. Various Styles

Various Styles Member+

Mar 1, 2000
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Cant answer the question eh Noobert. Did i say japan and Greece were better. I simply asked you to explain why Mexico should have no problems in their Confeds Cup group stage. Is that too difficult to answer.. i will make it easy for you. The draw can be seen in Mexicos favor, now do tell, give us the rest of your analysis on why Mexico will not have any problems advancing past the group stage..

11. Levante

Levante Member+

Jul 28, 2001
    LOL!

12. Don Boppero 3000

Don Boppero 3000 DNALMQNLGLLMX!

Jan 15, 2001
    The Fullerton Hotel Chicago
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    LMvCP, if you can't beat'em join'em!

:D

13. Hecho en Mexico

Hecho en Mexico Member+

Mar 22, 2002
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico

thats how you made it sound like idiot.. why should we have a a problem with a national team that cant beat albania?

simple, because mexico is better than both greece and japan.

the only reason we lose to any of them will be becuase of lavolpes player selection.

14. Various Styles

Various Styles Member+

Mar 1, 2000
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    I just asked a simple question.. which you still cant answer..

Unacceptable maggot.. Mexico hasnt played either senior squad in recent times to say that we will not have or should have any problems against these squads..

Allready blaming the coach eh.. Dont forget that Mexico hasnt been too succesful when playing in Europe. In France 98 el Tri was only able to beat S Korea and that was after they were a man down, before that they were up by one goal. Only victory i can remember that we have is against Greece U-23. Moral of the story dont go giving predictions without knowing which squads will be representing.

15. Hugo Sanchez

Hugo Sanchez Member+

Aug 21, 2003
    MEX2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    !!!! I've given out too much rep.

VS, you continue to amaze me.

So quick to dismiss our own national team by way of implication.

More, please.

16. Various Styles

Various Styles Member+

Mar 1, 2000
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    I never said that Mexico cant get past the first round of the Confeds Cup. We should not understimate our rivals..

17. mexicano

mexicano New Member

Dec 19, 2003
    Templológico
    we all thought that if Mexico had beaten Argentina in Copa America, that we would beat Brazil's U-23 easily............but it didn't happen. I just hope that Lavolpe can learn from his mistakes.

18. Various Styles

Various Styles Member+

Mar 1, 2000
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    That wasnt Brazils U-23 it was more of a Brazilian B'team :)

19. mexicano

mexicano New Member

Dec 19, 2003
    Templológico
    ....you get my point...:rolleyes:

20. Hugo Sanchez

Hugo Sanchez Member+

Aug 21, 2003
    MEX2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I don't know who we is.

But I clearly felt the fear after watching the match prior to Argentina in which we played sloppy, ugly and gutlessly defensive against a seemingly inferior Uruguayan squad.

The way we played Argentina for the first half hour was average, if not amplified because of the "talent" on the other team. The majority of our team was found in the bunker. Were we going to hope for a prayer against a more dynamic Brazilian side? Sure seemed like it. Only difference was who scored the first goal. The rest is history.

The threads are still around to show how many of us actually opposed Lavolpe's tactical scheme in Peru.

Has he learned from his mistakes? I don't know when the trial run is over for you guys, but Athens finalized my review of the creep.

I want him ousted.

But I'm a nobody.

My take on the Con Cup:

We should win the group.

The majority of us will pray for a 2nd place.

And 25% have absolutely no faith in anything Mexican.

But I don't blame them. I, too, have huge insecurities about my potential.

I'll borrow a line from my good friend Mike Muir.

It doesn't matter, I'll probably get hit by a car anyway.

21. El Sabio

El Sabio New Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Madison, WI
    I have to get in on this.

One of the biggest problems (as far as mentality) with Mexican futbol is that we often get way to overconfident when we have no right to be (neither should we be underconfident, more on that...).

Now I know that posters here don't determine the way the players actually are, but I'll continue anyway because it bugs me.

Everytime I hear anyone proclaiming how much better we are than this or that European team or whomever else (exept teams we do routinely beat), I want to hear an analysis of why. (and this includes when our team faces other teams in a game and thinks that because Televisa or someone says, "nuestro equipo aprovechara' su mejor toque y clase para imponer cosas..." and they think all they have to do is show up to win it, and end up not giving 100%) Either that or I will simply ask, "sure thing man, and how many world cup titles do we have to show for it, how many international tourney titles at any level (full or youth), how many historic victories over these teams?" Basically "what right do you have to feel overconfident, what proof?"

It seems too often we are either too submissive and don't have a winning mentality, or the complete opposite "gee we should and will walk over these teams."

To win in sports you have to always maintain an even head about things, and take them as they come, work hard during the event and not look ahead.

On this specific thread, remember Japan made it as far as us in the last WC, and Greece won the fricking Eurocopa, whether ugly or not, they won it.

If you want to, commence calling me a cangrejo or vendepatrias or......

22. El Sabio

El Sabio New Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Madison, WI
    By the way, if we play to our abilities and strengths, I too think we should advance out of the group, but its not easy.

23. Deleted USer

Deleted USer Member+

Jan 7, 2001
  24. Hugo Sanchez

Hugo Sanchez Member+

Aug 21, 2003
    MEX2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    No, Sabio.

I agree with you.

But I'm also with the real Hugo Sanchez in that the time for praying for a miracle is over. We have to take the next step sooner or later, and why not make it a leap? Who's to say we can't overcome our opponents? I'm tired of the complete lack of faith by the majority of us. I see it at parties, at bars, online and at the stadium.

Look at the last 3 World Cups.

Popular opinion:

USA '94
    Optimism was fair with the #2 Keeper in the world and arguably the now-faded best striker in the world in our squad.

"Hugol, Campos, Hermosillo, Luis Garcia."

Predictions:
    We play for a draw, maybe/hopefully a win against Norway.
    We beat Ireland.
    We lose to Italy.

Result:
    We advance out of the group stage and then lose to "quien nos toque" and leave content as winners of group E.

Notice how quick we were to assume we'll lose against the Italians. I'd say 80% of us felt the same way.

France '98
    Going in, Lapuente has us losing all sorts of matches against Czechoslavakia and other European nations during our preparation tour weeks before the tournament.

"Chin.. conformate con que empatemos con Corea."

Predictions:
    We play for a draw, maybe/hopefully a win against South Korea.
    We play for a draw against Belgium.
    We lose, maybe/hopefully draw against Holland.

Result:
    We advance out of the group stage and lose to a European powerhouse "en route to win it all" , leaving content to get out of a tough group with our striker amongst the top goalscorers.

Notice the complete lack of faith from start to finish.

Japan/South Korea '02
    Captain Garra salvaged our campaign and gave us little hope in a strong and tactically tight squad. Shady player selections seem to be forced upon our coach by "the powers that be."

"N'hombre, ya estuvimos."

Predictions:
    We lose, maybe/hopefully draw against Croatia.
    We beat, hopefully not draw against Ecuador.
    We lose, maybe/hopefully draw against Italy.

Result:
    We play a beautiful opening round, nearly finish off Italy, win our group and are pitted against our regional rival. Our underestimation and complete lack of respect for the idea of taking a tournament one game at a time sends us packing home prematurely.

This time, there was no complacency. Lapuente was right in saying Fracasotote. Despite what the opposition's fans might say, we should've easily handled the task at hand. The momentum was there and we dropped the ball.

Now our aim for Germany '06 is advancing to the last 8.

Is it that hard to believe that we can win one more freaking game?

Sure, let's take things one game at a time. I definitely agree with this one. But one more win is not out of our reach at this point and would entitle us to a gauranteed extra match.

We can play with anybody in the world.. with the right players and coach. Oh wait, so can everyone else. Logic is faulty, right? Right. After this, it's all speculation and a numbers game.

Either way, like I told my cousin who came over to visit me earlier, you can scratch my presence in Germany if Lavolpe still our coach. ;)

25. Tecos

Tecos Member+

Apr 8, 2003
    Chicago
    Club:
    Tecos UA de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Fixed your post