2005 Expansion Draft- Metro (incl. Unprotected list)

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by goalscorer111, Nov 16, 2004.

1. Onionsack

Onionsack BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 21, 2003
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jonny Walker
    Zach Wells
    Sergio Galvan Rey
    Pablo Brenes
    Tim Regan
    Craig Ziadie
    Joselito Vaca

Since we protect one when one is selected who is the guy you want to see stay on that list?

Assuming Johnny Walker is taken first or Brenes is taken first:

Sergio stays on that list simply becasue of his salary.

I thoubht Vaca was useless so I would leave him on the list.

Personnly I like Brenes but we have too many young midfileders already and if like a cuurent hypothesis posted earlier he may be an offering to Chivas for taking Walker.

Wells is a promising back-up keeper at low cost, I would say protect him but given the amount of keepers floating around this expansion draft its a good bet no one will take him or I should say RSL will not take him.

Regan was a stop gap last season, replaceable yet I would still keep him around since he is cheap.

So I would say protect Ziadie after Walker or Brenes goes. Sure he isn't great but our RB spot is bare at the moment and we could use the deepth.

If both walker and Brenes go then protect either Wells or Reagan after Ziadie.

2. metrosct

metrosct New Member

Feb 17, 2002
    Rowayton, CT
    Only problem is that Walker doesn't have a truly large contract.

3. Brownswan

Brownswan New Member

Jun 30, 1999
    Port St. Lucie, FL
    Main worry: some team will actually take SGR -- and he will break out next season, as so many ex-Metros seem to do, and punish us severely -- as so many ex-Metros seem to do.

When I die, bury me low,
    where I can hear the petroleum flow.
    A sweeter sound, I never did know --
    the rolling mills of New Jersey.

4. Onionsack

Onionsack BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 21, 2003
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Personally I don't think he fit it with the system or with his teamates at Metro. That can be hard on a player with many expectations. I beleive another team like Chivas will take him if they can get his salary down closer to the SI average..how they would do that I don't know but bottom line..his lack of production was not a lack of talent i think it was more his ability to settle...

5. obie

obie New Member

Nov 18, 1998
    NY, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    'S possible, though if he's taken he will most likely stay in the West (assuming we're not single table) so the damage to us should be minimal.

In a dream world we lose SGR and Walker only, and Wells grows up quickly into the new Howard so we don't have to waste time & players trading for Thornton.

6. HotAssAlex

HotAssAlex New Member

Jan 20, 2004
    Staten Island, NY
    i just saw the unprotected keepers available, i dont think any1 (well maybe Chivas) will go for Walker first. Ring, Meola, Garlik, Brown, Jordan

also with LA's Marcelo Saragosa available it will be a tough chocie between him and Brenes

damn the overall unprotected list looks pretty interesting, I wish Metro's could grab few picks there

7. tfoisie

tfoisie New Member

Nov 9, 2004
    Re: Unprotected list

When you lead articles on the expansion draft (such as: Many quality players are available in the expansion draft, such as the MetroStar's Walker and Brenes and the Fire's Williams) you know that you've made a mistake.

While I've not reviewed the other team's unprotected lists, it seems as if the MetroStars will be without Brenes or Walker and one of the following two players: Vaca or Zaidie. I probably would have left Bonseu unprotected and held onto Walker (or Brenes); if Bonseu/Zaidie were selected, we would have the option of protecting the other one (or Brenes if not selected first).

Among the keepers who could easily be had this offseason, I'm not sure who would be better than Walker. The back line was more at fault than Walker this past year. He had one bad game against DC but I don't think there are any available keepers that are better than him. I can't believe we are exposing him.

To hold onto Brenes and Walker, we would have needed to expose either Leitch or Parke which may not have been a bad idea. Parke was a great find and contributor but he wouldn't have started for a lot of other teams this year.

8. HotAssAlex

HotAssAlex New Member

Jan 20, 2004
    Staten Island, NY
    you could only leave 1 SI
    so the choice was Bonseu or SGR..there is the answer to you why Bonseu left protected

9. twelfth man

twelfth man New Member

Nov 13, 2004
    Connecticut
    True. But I still can't believe that we left Jonny Walker unprotected. It's insane. We will be sitting here in less than 20 hours wondering who will be our starting goaltender for next year (... and you thought we had problems in 2004???). None of the "available" keepers can approach Walker's talent level. Moreover, Chicago would know that we are desperate and would probably hold out for a sweet deal for either Ring or Countess (whoever is available after expansion draft).

10. HotAssAlex

HotAssAlex New Member

Jan 20, 2004
    Staten Island, NY
    if we could get a guy like Mastroeni somehow to solidify that backline...id take a chance with Wells in the net. we all saw he got talent and potential

...lol bring Paul Grafer out of retirement and his almighty pants

11. CrazyG

CrazyG New Member

Dec 19, 1998
    Manahawkin, NJ
    Finally, someone who mentions Mastroeni, I personally would prefer a guy like that, then a guy like Armas. An Armas trade to me sounds alot like another Balboa. I also wouldn't mind getting a guy like Orlando Perez back here, if he's still available. Good left sided def capable of playing in a 3-man backline with Pope and Parke. Our main priority should be to look for players capable of playig in a 3-man backine. We need to play in a 3-5-2. We should have played the last season in a 3-5-2. A 4-4-2 sucks. Don't exactly know what it is with Bradley's hard-on with the 4-4-2, but DC won the cup with a 3-5-2 (with Petke stick that up your @ss Bradley), and we need to play that way too.

12. Thomas A Fina

Thomas A Fina Member

Mar 29, 1999
    Hell
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    CrazyG - I don't think Mastro has been brought up because nobody really thinks Metro has a prayer of getting him. We've been looking at more realistic opportunities.

13. CrazyG

CrazyG New Member

Dec 19, 1998
    Manahawkin, NJ
    Agreed. We probably don't have a prayer of getting Mastro, but there's got to be somebody out there like Mastro who's more future and less been there. Also, if can win by getting as few ShitCago players as possible the happier I'll be. If I wanted to support Shitcago I would cut out the middle man. Don't need Nick Sakoshit to bring them here.

Hey, if we can't dream a little then what the use of all this rumor talk! :)

14. MetroFever

MetroFever Member+

Jun 3, 2001
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    Pablo Brenes goes to Real Salt Lake.

15. Mathis is a God

Mathis is a God New Member

Apr 26, 2004
    NJ
    I cant believe they are getting rid of Walker. Pathetic.

16. otterulz

otterulz Member

Arsenal, Atleti
    South Korea
    Jun 20, 2002
    LIC, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And following that pick they protect Zach Wells. Mind boggling to me. I guess Walker's really outta here eh?

17. obie

obie New Member

Nov 18, 1998
    NY, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And Metro protect Wells.

So long Jonny, it's been swell.

18. otterulz

otterulz Member

Arsenal, Atleti
    South Korea
    Jun 20, 2002
    LIC, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Heh. Well it almost rhymed.

Is everyone else following this on ESPNews? Right now they're talking to Rongen and Ellinger. Ok, there goes my feed. Now I'm getting regular NESN programming.

19. Thomas A Fina

Thomas A Fina Member

Mar 29, 1999
    Hell
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    not a surprise, only the best prospect in the draft out there.

20. Mathis is a God

Mathis is a God New Member

Apr 26, 2004
    NJ
    Its a good thing your not our GM

21. obie

obie New Member

Nov 18, 1998
    NY, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's not surprising that we pulled Wells back. He's young, talented, and cheap. If I were one of the two expansion teams, the two Metros most intriguing when I'm looking to build from the ground up were Brenes and Wells. We may still trade him.

22. obie

obie New Member

Nov 18, 1998
    NY, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chivas still haven't taken a GK while RSL took Countess, which makes me think that a Walker deal is imminent.

23. halfnelson31

halfnelson31 New Member

Jul 23, 2002
    NOVA
    man...how soon nick forgets how Jonny boy saved our asses when timmy left. We at least owed him a chance. And to let him go with out getting anything for him via trade? ******** man the decisions he makes r just mind boggling man. ******** U Nick

24. Thomas A Fina

Thomas A Fina Member

Mar 29, 1999
    Hell
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True. I exaggerate every now and then

But he was our best commodity for the price.

25. MetroFever

MetroFever Member+

Jun 3, 2001
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    Ziadie to Chivas....

Good riddance.