2005-2006 Welsh Premier League [R]

Discussion in 'Other Countries' started by amaranto, Aug 3, 2005.

1. amaranto

amaranto Member

Jan 22, 2004
    Here is a preview of tomorrow's UEFA Cup game at Belle Vue and some interesting news tidbits from Rhyl's website:

http://www.rhylfc.co.uk/news/aug05/news10805.shtml

Of particular interest is the note that Lee Hunt won't be leaving the club and that Michael Walsh will be returning to the club in time for tomorrow's game.

Surprisingly, there are still 800 tickets available for tomorrow's game. It'll still probably sell out, but a fair number of people must be counting on buying their tickets on gameday.

2. 9 Rush

9 Rush Member

Sep 9, 2004
    C'bus
    Put whatever team you like up there. The more WPL afficionados the better.

I think Llanelli will do well. They have the Spanish connection now, with the new coach and stuff, and Catherine Zeta Jones pumped some money into the club.

In other news, Caersws are looking at former Kerry standout, Rob Bayliss, as it looks like Andy Marfell's future is in the balance which will eave them light up front. Especially with Evans joining the Bulls.

3. amaranto

amaranto Member

Jan 22, 2004
    Did she end up buying a portion of the club? I saw the articles about her negotiating with the team and that her uncle owned the club, but I didn't see where anything was finalized? An influx of cash like that (or access to cash) could certainly explain the decision to bring on full-time players.

Looking over Caersws' squad, the loss of Marfell after Evans will really leave them light. There was a mention that they were looking at Craig Griffiths and Gareth Roberts, but no indication that they had been signed.

4. 9 Rush

9 Rush Member

Sep 9, 2004
    C'bus
    I thinks she just made a donation, th emajority of their funds must have come from elsewhere. I'll look into it.

The 'Sws have signed Ross Stephens, a local who was highly rated at shrewsbury at one stage. He may do well.

They've also got a quality young midfielder, Chris Venables, who would be class at a higher level.

5. amaranto

amaranto Member

Jan 22, 2004
    I saw that Venables was good for 11 goals last year. He is listed as a defender, but I think you are right about him being a midfielder.

How have Stephens and Venables done in the pre-season games?

6. bigwilly087

bigwilly087 Member

Jul 22, 2005
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Club:
    Swansea City AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    any radio coverage of the rhyl game that u know of? is this the only WPL team left in uefa cup?

7. amaranto

amaranto Member

Jan 22, 2004
  8. amaranto

amaranto Member

Jan 22, 2004
  9. amaranto

amaranto Member

Jan 22, 2004
    Not sure if the Rhyl game has actually started. Their website shows a 7:30PM start, while UEFA and livescore.com show a 7PM start. If livescore.com is right, they are 19 minutes in with the score 0-0. Carmarthen is also at 0-0 after 4 minutes. The search for radio coverage was fruitless.

10. amaranto

amaranto Member

Jan 22, 2004
    Kopteff scored in the 19th minute for Viking FK to put Rhyl down 0-1. Carmarthen is still holding on at 0-0 in Copenhagen.

11. amaranto

amaranto Member

Jan 22, 2004
    Livescore just figured out that the Rhyl game started at 7:30PM and are now showing the game as being in the 34th minute. Nice to know there is plenty of time. I'd like to see a 1-1 tie out of this one and then have Rhyl take their chances in Norway (going for a 2-2 tie and another away goals advancement).

12. amaranto

amaranto Member

Jan 22, 2004
    Santos just scored for Copenhagen in the 48th minute. Things aren't going great for the WPL teams, but they aren't embarassing themselves either. Plenty of time for equalizers.

13. amaranto

amaranto Member

Jan 22, 2004
    Well, the first leg games are over. Rhyl lost 0-1 to Viking FK and Carmarthen dropped their game to FC Copenhagen 2-0. We'll have to wait for the match reports for details, but neither seem like bad results.

14. amaranto

amaranto Member

Jan 22, 2004
    A couple more Rhyl details. The attendance at Belle Vue was 1,540 which is well below capacity. The starting lineup was as follows:

Gerard McGuigan
    Jamie Brewerton
    George Horan
    Mark Powell
    Greg Stone
    Chris Adamson
    Stuart Graves
    Mark Limbert (received yellow card for dissent)
    Gareth Wilson (received yellow card for dissent)
    Lee Hunt (received yellow card for dissent)
    Andy Moran (replaced by Tommy Mutton in 77th minute)

15. 9 Rush

9 Rush Member

Sep 9, 2004
    C'bus
    good results. Not dissimilar to carmarthen's result in Ireland so they're still in with a chance.

Rhyl have to be rank outsiders now but still, not all bad.

16. amaranto

amaranto Member

Jan 22, 2004
    Not sure how long it'll stay up there, so I post the brief summary from www.welsh-premier.com in its entirety:

"WELSH Premier clubs both gave creditable performances in the Uefa Cup second qualifying round, although Rhyl face a difficult task in Norway after conceding an away goal to Viking Stavanger.
    Carmarthen looked on course for a superb result in Denmark against FC Copenhagen after holding their opponents to a goal-less first half, but conceded twice within 10 minutes of the restart and lost 2-0.
    However, the tie is very much alive for the second leg at Ninian Park, especially as Copenhagen missed a second-half penalty.
    Carmarthen can certainly hold their heads up high and even created several first-half chances.
    Rhyl paid the penalty for failing to take theirs and conceded a 19th minute goal when keeper Gerard McGuigan, expecting a cross, was deceived by Peter Kopteff's curling free-kick.
    Lee Hunt could have given the Lillies the lead within the first minute but blazed over from close-range.
    Marc Limbert also had an effort from a free-kick but saw it saved.
    Although they kept Roy Hodgson's side at bay for the remainder of the game, they now need to score at least twice in Stavanger to go through.
    11 August 2005"

17. amaranto

amaranto Member

Jan 22, 2004
    Better accounts of the games:

http://www.welsh-premier.com/sa_match_europe_2005.php?id=9
    http://www.welsh-premier.com/sa_match_europe_2005.php?id=10

Outlook from Rhyl manager Hulse and annoying comments from Viking FK manager Hodgson:

http://www.welsh-premier.com/news.php?ID=2979

Sorry Belle Vue wasn't to Mr. Hodgson's liking. Clearly that is why his team of full-time professionals was dominated (by most accounts) by a part-time team for a good portion of the game. Yes, if I'd spent travel money on scouting a small team prior to a big match and then been outplayed by that team and outmanaged, I might hit upon similar comments. When Rhyl win in the return leg, he'll have to find a new excuse.

18. amaranto

amaranto Member

Jan 22, 2004
  19. amaranto

amaranto Member

Jan 22, 2004
    Rhyl's next three reserve games:

Saturday 13th August
    Rhyl Reserves
    V
    Llanwrst United
    Kick off: 2.30pm

Wednesday 17 August
    Rhyl Reserves
    V
    Sealand Rovers
    Kick off: 7.30pm

Saturday 20th August
    Rhyl Reserves
    V
    Llanberis
    Kick off: 2.30pm

While ordinarily this wouldn't be of interest, because they don't have any games scheduled between now and their next UEFA Cup game (the 8/20 Challenge Cup game against Bangor City has been rescheduled), there will probably be first team players in each of the 3 games.

20. amaranto

amaranto Member

Jan 22, 2004
    Game report from the official Rhyl website. Some nice pictures and what sounds like a deserved shot at the ref:

http://www.rhylfc.co.uk/Matchday/reports/0506/viking11805/110805.shtml

All accounts seem to indicate that Limbert had a tremendous game and that Hunt missed opportunities that should have been his. The odds of Rhyl winning this game were 11/2. I wonder if the odds will drop in the 2nd leg?

21. amaranto

amaranto Member

Jan 22, 2004
    The preliminary round of the Challenge Cup takes place today. No really good coverage that I can find, but here are the matchups:

Cardiff Grange Quins vs Caernarfon Town
    NEWI Cefn Druids vs Airbus UK

I didn't realize Martyn Chalk had left Caernarfon for NEWI Cefn Druids. Anyway, he did on August 1st.

Evidently, Bangor City dropped out of their friendly on Thursday night with Llanfair because they were unable to raise a side. Not sure how that happened since they are also fielding a U-21 side this year.

Aberystwyth have brought in Mark Pritchard from Swansea on a one month loan. From the descriptions I've read of Pritchard, he certainly should help their cause. Unfortunately, he'll still be around when they play Rhyl on September 4th. He will be helpful against mostly professional Llanelli when they play them on August 20th in the Challenge Cup.

22. amaranto

amaranto Member

Jan 22, 2004
  23. amaranto

amaranto Member

Jan 22, 2004
    Rhyl Reserves won their game over Llanrwst 6-1 with the following lineup [substitutions]:

Billingsley
    Gatfield
    Hoy
    A. Davies
    Connolly
    Walsh
    G. Powell [Head]
    Morgan
    Thompson [Millington]
    Sharp
    G. Davies [Uddin]

Goals: Hoy 2, A. Davies 1, Uddin, Walsh, ?

The keeper for Llanrwst was former Rhyl keeper Jason Turner who clearly had a bad day.

24. amaranto

amaranto Member

Jan 22, 2004
    Llanelli fired Nick Tucker and brought in former Barry Town manager Peter Nicholas. They attributed it to their plan to become a full professional team and to challenge for top honors.

There was some talk that newly-promoted Cardiff Grange Quins were in financial trouble after losing a promised (or not promised) main sponsorship of 15,000 pounds. Their chairman has denied they are in trouble and said he is seeking new sponsorship. After their preliminary round success in the Challenge Cup, it would be nice to see them get that taken care of.

Rhyl's first round Challenge Cup game against Bangor City was rescheduled to September 13th. Mark your calendars. Ok, I'll mark mine and remind you. Maybe my Rhyl jersey will be here by then. When I e-mailed them last week, they mentioned they are waiting on a new shipment (different sponsor I believe) and it should be there by the end of the week.