2005-2006 Welsh Premier League [R]

Discussion in 'Other Countries' started by amaranto, Aug 3, 2005.

1. amaranto

amaranto Member

Jan 22, 2004
    While I'm still a WPL newbie, I thought I'd create a place if anybody wanted to post their thoughts on the upcoming season. Here are the current odds:

TNS 8/11
    Rhyl 15/8
    Bangor 10
    Caersws 20
    Haverfordwest 20
    Aberystwyth 25
    Llanelli 25
    Carmarthen 33
    Cwmbran 33
    Porthmadog 66
    Welshpool 66
    Connah's Quay 100
    Newtown 100
    Caernarfon 200
    Port Talbot 200
    Airbus UK 250
    Cardiff Grange 250
    NEWI Cefn Druids 500

2. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    Good move.

One question and a request.

Will you be keeping this updated throughout the season?
    If possible, could you do a brief background to the league?

Cheers

3. amaranto

amaranto Member

Jan 22, 2004
    Sure, I'll take responsibility for that. I think it would be fun. Since I'm just learning about the league, please (anybody) step in and correct me if I say something obviously wrong or terribly misleading.

4. amaranto

amaranto Member

Jan 22, 2004
  5. amaranto

amaranto Member

Jan 22, 2004
  6. amaranto

amaranto Member

Jan 22, 2004
  7. amaranto

amaranto Member

Jan 22, 2004
  8. amaranto

amaranto Member

Jan 22, 2004
    I was looking at the Football Association of Wales website and realized that not a single player from the Welsh Premier League is on the Wales national squad.

http://www.dragonsoccer.co.uk/faw.htm

9. Scottish_Morton

Jul 7, 2003
    Irvine, Scotland
  10. amaranto

amaranto Member

Jan 22, 2004
  11. amaranto

amaranto Member

Jan 22, 2004
    Caersws' leading scorer from last year, Graham Evans is supposed to be signing with Hereford United. He scored 20 goals for Caersws last year and has scored 132 in 191 appearances (5th on the all-time scorers list). That will be a huge loss for the team.

Interestingly, Graham's father, Mickey Evans has been the manager of Caersws since the WPL formed in 1992.

12. amaranto

amaranto Member

Jan 22, 2004
    The Welsh Premier League history I've read is filled with the success of Barry Town, a team relegated in 2004 According to the brief story below, they appear to be on the brink of collapse:

http://www.welsh-premier.com/news.php?ID=2938

13. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    Barry Town were a great little club until they were taken over by that cretin John Fashanu. He had the inspired idea of using his connections in Nigeria to bring over talented youngsters, establish them at Barry and then sell them on to English clubs at a profit.

There was just one problem, none of them could get work permits.

14. amaranto

amaranto Member

Jan 22, 2004
    Very interesting. I'll have to learn more about that.

It looks like now they are a 1,000,000 pounds in debt, owe 42,000 in back rent and are perilously close to not having a place to play their home games.

Gee, if Fashanu had played Football Manager, he'd know how difficult it is to get work permits :)

I guess this isn't like Italy where if one team fails, another group quickly organizes and saves football for the town?

15. Darth Norteño

Darth Norteño With Buddha In My Fists

The Arsenal
    Wales
    Dec 9, 2003
    laceyforest.arl.va
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Wales
    I was wondering what happened to Barry Town; for a while, they were the only Welsh club I had ever heard of. I hope things can turn around for them.

Great thread, BTW. :cool:

16. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    The thing to remember is that Barry is a tiny little town. It's a satelite town of Cardiff (which itself has a population of about 350,000) so the ability to raise £1m is not really there. It was a wonder they were ever professional to be honest.

17. amaranto

amaranto Member

Jan 22, 2004
    Thanks Darth. For the sake of appearance, I'm now claiming Welsh ancestry on my mother's side (Wyatt) :)

On Barry Town: Thinking about it, it's amazing that any team with limited resources would be able to go 1,000,000 pounds into debt in the first place. They would almost have to involve themselves in unorthodox behavior (the aforemention Nigeria import experiment?)

Here is a website dedicated to a new Barry-based team that will play in the Vale of Glamorgan League:

http://www.forzabarry.co.uk/

18. amaranto

amaranto Member

Jan 22, 2004
  19. amaranto

amaranto Member

Jan 22, 2004
    Barry's chairman Stuart Lovering denied they were in trouble. Evidently, the South Wales Evening Post says the League is still waiting on assurances from the team.

Also, I saw a reference to the team playing outside of Barry. They will play their games at Treforest.

20. amaranto

amaranto Member

Jan 22, 2004
  21. Darth Norteño

Darth Norteño With Buddha In My Fists

The Arsenal
    Wales
    Dec 9, 2003
    laceyforest.arl.va
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Wales
    Yeah, I claim it on my dad's side (Vaughan), but I've got just about the whole island on both sides of my family.

That is weird how a club as small as Barry Town would go into such massive debt. It's almost like Leeds United in microcosm.

22. 9 Rush

9 Rush Member

Sep 9, 2004
    C'bus
    I am Welsh. Of all the sides in the league, TNS and Rhyl are head and shoulders above the rest. TNS because they are professional, and Rhyl because they are as good as.

TNS is probably one of the most interesting stories in the league. They are from Llansantfraidd (pronounced thlansanfrithe) a village of about 300 people, but Total Network Solutions bought them and moved them to Oswestry, where the company is based, a few miles away actually in England. They now have a decent squad of old pros and ex-league youngsters. Martin Naylor is the brother of wolves left back Lee Naylor and used to play for both Shrewsbury and Telford.

A load of my mates play for Caersws. They too, are a village of about 3-400 but Mickey Evans does a great job of mopping up all the young local talent in mid wales, where soccer and not rugby is the number one sport. Graham Evans is probably the best striker in the league, he used to be on the books of Aston villa alongside fellow 'sws frontman Andy Marfell.

Newtown are a decent club with one of the best stadiums in the league www.newtownafc.co.uk and a decent squad, managed by former Coventry, Chester and Shresbury man Roger Preece, and Bangor are always there or thereabouts come the end of the season.

Go to www.welsh-premier.com/index.php for more info. They've got some ok stats and updates.

Also this season, rhyl and Carmarthen have become only the 2nd and 3rd clubs to win European ties after barry. TNS obviously lost to Liverpool.

Cheers.

23. amaranto

amaranto Member

Jan 22, 2004
    9 Rush, thanks for the great information. It is nice to add a true Welshman to the WPL thread :) Any insight you can offer during the year will be greatly appreciated.

While TNS and Rhyl are primarily professional, are the rest of league a mixture (some paid, some not paid) or are there some teams completely made up of unpaid players?

24. amaranto

amaranto Member

Jan 22, 2004