2004 FIFA Player of Year, Poll of the Best Nominated

Discussion in 'Women's International' started by beachesl, Nov 29, 2004.

1. beachesl

beachesl Member

Oct 21, 2002
    Mendoza, Argentina
    FIFA announced their finalists for FIFA player of the year (the votes cast were not announced). The award wil be announced at the Gala on December 20.

Mia Hamm
    Marta
    Birgit Prinz

http://www.fifa.com/en/mens/awards/gala/0,2418,104467,00.html?articleid=104467

Who deserves to win (not who will win, as often the least deserving is awarded)?

Birgit Prinz clearly deserved to win last year, if for nothing else than her WC perfomance. This year, although she was the highest scorer at the Olympics, and consistently scoring in the other internationals, she just did not seem as dominating on the field overall. I am not that aware of her club performances in Europe, and this may justify her award. Her team apparently finished 2nd in Germany in the spring, but is now at the top of the league, and her megascoring for the club has again resumed.

I would respectfully suggest that Mia Hamm was nominated for her past performances (which FIFA often does, as with Zidane last year), not the ones this year. Her team won the Olympics, clearly the most important woman's tourrnament of the year, but I would suggest that there were more desreving players for the nomination amongst her American teamates.What were her club achievements this year? The men's 3 nominees this year are, for a change, are almost universally approved. This nomination, with respect, is the only controversial one.

My choice would be Marta, not for goal production, but for overall effect on the field and improvement of her team. She was to me the revelation of the Olympics, and certainly the most entertaining. The fact that she was not in the top 3 scorers in Greece should not be a downside, as she is really an attacking midfielder for whom pure goalscoring is only secondary. I think the fact that she went to and performed well at the U19's should be of only minor importance (as it isn't the award for best Junior perfomance, but it may have an effect on her being awarded. I didn't see any of her club performances for the Swedish club Umea, but she apparently was instrumental for the club in winning the UEFA Cup. As with the men's award, club performances should be as important as the national team performances. Some might say that she has been nominated as much for entertainment value and promise, instead of actual performance this year. Some Canadian fans don't like her for her in-your-face attitude, as displayed here at the 2002 U19's, but that does not mean she is not a great player.

Any further information to add about these three great players would be appreciated.

2. Woody-99

Woody-99 Member

Jan 19, 2002
    Germany
    I agree, that Marta should be the winner.
    IMO the other two are only nominated for their names. Both Prinz and Hamm are good players, but there are players on their teams that are more deserving and had better performances this year. Rottenberg and Stegemann for Germany and Wambach for the US, only to name a few.

3. TOTC

TOTC Member

Feb 20, 2001
    Laurel, MD, USA
    Noop.

ABBY WAMBACH. 111th MINUTE.

NUF SED.

4. DCUPopeAndLillyFan

Apr 20, 2000
    Colorado
    Keep in mind these aren't nominations, the votes have already been submitted and these were the top three vote-getters.

I'd go with Wambach since the US won gold, would have easily said Marta had Brazil won. Anyone want to bet Hamm gets votes next year despite not playing?

5. TOTC

TOTC Member

Feb 20, 2001
    Laurel, MD, USA
    Which means that the coaches of Monserrat, Haiti, and Burkina Faso DON'T KNOW WHAT THE HECK THEY ARE TALKING ABOUT.

6. beachesl

beachesl Member

Oct 21, 2002
    Mendoza, Argentina
    Are you the guy that wrote in for Howard "the Duck" Dean
    on Novemebr 2?

I agree, she was more deserving to be topthree for this year than the legendary Mia Hamm, godblessher.

7. sempretricolor

sempretricolor New Member

Oct 26, 2004
    Marta, the queen & magician !

8. RUUDVN

RUUDVN BigSoccer Yellow Card

Sep 3, 2004
    NYC
    Mia Hamm, because she was so active in the last couple of years and ended it with helping Gold for the USWNT, Marta is good enough to win but, not reach the point requirement probably next year and while Prinz wasn't doing enough to help her national team after the WC. The other reason for Hamm to win is because she is retiring from the women soccer world, the throphy will give her the respect she deserves by the FIFA and Women soccer in general.

9. beachesl

beachesl Member

Oct 21, 2002
    Mendoza, Argentina
    Wasn't being placed on FIFA's players of the Century list a few years ago enough to show respect for Mia, including the fact she has won the award a few times before? It's not (or not supposed to be) an acculmulative thing.

10. pillips@webtv.net

pillips@webtv.net New Member

Mar 25, 2004
    Hi' man whatta you saying? what about Prinz making the list the last two years, and now this year? That three years in a row. man are you having something against Mia Hamm? go and hide man, you are useless in your mind.

11. hagabo_i_exil

hagabo_i_exil Member

Apr 27, 2004
    london
    Club:
    Umeå IK
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    Mia Hamm, in reality hasn't been that impressive (by her own standards) the last two years. Compared to Abby Wambach for instance. Birgit Prinz had a great 2003, I see why she won 2003. 2004 though, no way she should win.

Out of the final three there is only one worthy candidate (maybe because of her brilliant display on the U19 world championship)

12. TOTC

TOTC Member

Feb 20, 2001
    Laurel, MD, USA
    You mean, January 29th?

[​IMG]

13. pillips@webtv.net

Mar 25, 2004
    What is marta's statistics? other than a fancy and sometimes dirty player,shoving and pushing the opponents off the ball. what have she won to merit being a nominee? does fancy and so call billiant win championship. when there is no goals to show for it? Mia lead in all part of performances this year. their won every tournament she and her team mates enter. her statistics far are superior to any thing Marta did. Why was not Abby Wambach nominated over her or Prinz? tell me. I know why, I do'nt have to tell you about it. mybe you and the FIFA know.

14. Woody-99

Woody-99 Member

Jan 19, 2002
    Germany
    How about leading her team to the Uefa Cup title and the Olympics final?
    And as the question is not about "who played in the most succesful team" but about the "best player" Martha would be a very deserving winner imo.
    Why Wambach isn't nominated is a question I would like to know as well.

15. pillips@webtv.net

Mar 25, 2004
    Why are you contradicting me? I said Mia helped her team mates to winning every tournament their enter this year. Now you are saying how Marta lead her club to some so call championship and lead her country to the final of the Olympic.did she won the olympic? telling me some foolishness about the best player.why you tell me championships are not importance and turn around and tell me about how Marta won some second rate club championship. Mia won three importance tournaments this year. the Algarve,the four nations.the olympics. what Marta won some second rate tournament. just fancy,flashy and dirty player who shove and push opponents off the ball and a great diver. ever see Mia pushing
    and shoving any one yet? and playing dirty.

16. Woody-99

Woody-99 Member

Jan 19, 2002
    Germany
    I won't get into the dirty player stuff, because if that's your opinion that's fine with me.
    I was simply stating my opinion that Marta was, for me, the most important player for the success of her team this year while I wouldn't see Mia Hamm but Abby Wambach as the most influencal player for the success of her team this year, that's all.

17. pillips@webtv.net

Mar 25, 2004
    Now I can relate to your point of view. yes indeed the point is clear that Marta is a clever and crafty player but I do'nt like the pushing and shoving and diving she sometimes does when she is having a hard game.nuff said about Abby. having seen what you intended to present to this post. I can say let's enjoy some friendly argument if it is presented. Thanks for your time.

18. JanBalk

JanBalk Member+

Jun 9, 2004
    The UEFA Women’s Cup is hardly a second rate club championship.

19. pillips@webtv.net

Mar 25, 2004
    I would have believe it if you where from any other country other then Sweden or Europe. because there is not all that even parity amound the teams. rather it's amound nations or just clubs. in tournaments like the Algarve,4 nations or nike cup the best nations usually take part is'nt it so? that what you call class.

20. Dandal

Dandal Member

Jul 20, 2002
    Sweden
    Club:
    --other--
    First, let's agree this is a Player of the Year award. Success or failure for the national team the player is a member of is rather unimportant. If you check the male equivalents you find Henry and Shevchenko, members of national sides that either disappointed (France) or simply is too mediocre to even disappoint (Ukraine). Actually none of the three male nominees managed to win anything outside their domestic leagues. There is still no doubt they are all worthy candidates for the award.

Marta got great ball skills, she's fast with and without the ball, got a good eye for the game, is good at set pieces. I would say she is technically superior to Mia, something like Ronaldinho to Beckham. Parts of her play is still immature (she is something like 15 years younger than Mia). She tends to make things complicated when they could be done more simple, she is very one-footed, she is - contrary to what pillips@webtv.net wants to imply - not tough enough.
    Football is a physical game. Body contact is allowed. Roughing and diving on the other hand are both bookable offenses. In the Olympics Mia got carded once. That is one more than Marta.
    In the olympics Mia scored two goals, Marta three. Prinz on her own scored as many goals as Mia and Marta put together.

And by the way, UEFA Champion's League is the most prestigious club tournament in the world. Algarve Cup is a pre-season training tournament, used to prepare for upcoming real competition games.

21. pillips@webtv.net

Mar 25, 2004
    what are you implying about the Algarve and 4 Nations cups just warm up to begin the season. google them and you will change your mind about the importance of these tournaments.before there was a so call important's of the UEFA. These turnaments where the ones every top nation want

to win. it you who have to get your facts right.google them. let see if Marta can ever beat the USWNT? Brazil have never ever beaten USWNT and so far Marta have played 4 tournament agaist them and lost this year.
    It seem to me you are a Brazilian soccer hound?

22. JanBalk

JanBalk Member+

Jun 9, 2004
    Not true.
    WC, Olympics and EC are the important tournaments for WNT. The rest is preparations, although those two are the most prestigious training tournaments and any good player want to win everything she is playing in.

I am sure that the Swedish (and pretty sure this goes for the rest of Europe to) players ranks the domestic league and the Champions League higher than those two tournaments or anything outside the three great Championships.
    Not true.
    WC, Olympics and EC are the important tournaments for WNT. The rest is preparations, although those two are the most prestigious training tournaments and any good player want to win everything she is playing in.

I am sure that the Swedish (and pretty sure this goes for the rest of Europe to) players ranks the domestic league and the Women Champions League higher than those two tournaments..

Totally irrelevant, you may have noticed this is the FIFA Player of Year award not the FIFA Team of Year award.

23. Idgie_no10

Idgie_no10 New Member

Apr 13, 2004
    Just an example: Ari Hingst is not going to play the 4NT, and prefers to fully recover from a slight injury. There's absolutely no doubt that she would be on the field if it were a UEFA Cup match.
    I guess Pia Wunderlich won't play either, for the same reason.

I understand that the UEFA Cup is too far away for an American fan. But for European clubs that is the cup to win. For honour, and for the money they can earn, because that's about the only tournament you realy can make $$$ or €€€ with. And, with WUSA being absent and the W-League far from being a replacement, there's simply no more important title left, although it is a Europe-only one.

One more point, and I may be wrong here: For a country like the US, without a competitive league, NT matches and tournaments like 4NT tend to be much more important than for countries where the focus is on league play or UEFA cup until June (when the Euros are played).

24. pillips@webtv.net

Mar 25, 2004
    Very good respond. please do'nt leave out the inportance of the Algarve cup? go to your bowser and enter Algarve cup on the google.com, and you will find the information for these tourments. happy hunting!

25. pillips@webtv.net

Mar 25, 2004
    Ps on google.com search engine enter in the box algarve cup history. and you will get the facts? have a good search.