2004-05 NBA thread

Discussion in 'Basketball' started by Megatron, Nov 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax

thanks, yeah we need a bench star type, preferably big, preferably versatile... a malik rose type player with a solid 15 ft jumper

really shoulda won last night, but hey i kinda called it

2. Megatron

Megatron New Member

Jul 4, 2002
    Chicago
  3. therealronaldo7

therealronaldo7 New Member

Apr 14, 2004
    Chicago
    Living in Chicago, I concur Megatron! This guy thinks he is actually worth a crap. He stinks and so does Chandler. Get their asses out of here.

4. Ted Cikowski

Ted Cikowski Red Card

May 31, 2000
    Regarding Ron Artest - all I can say is that I can't wait to get his rap album. Anone watch NBA Fast Break last night? Steven A. Smith had some good lines about Artest 'not being all there'.

I think some blame needs to go to Carlisle also for allowing this (c)rap. The Clippers beat the pacers by 34! Not even Reggie Miller in his prime could have stopped the Clippers last night.

As for the Suns, they look good but Lebron James was fantastic last night. I can't believe he is 19 years old. He made every big shot, made every correct pass and even grabbed 10 boards. He is on the verge of becoming a legend.

5. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Surely blame must go to Carlisle, but I can't think that Larry Legend can be to pleased in his seat next to Donnie Walsh. I mean, I'm sure Larry will by the album and be blastin it as he drives through the meanest streets of Indy in his Hummer, but at the same time I bet he wishes Artest would get his ******** together and play ball. Why they didn't try to unload him in the offseason is beyond me.

6. Ted Cikowski

Ted Cikowski Red Card

May 31, 2000
    I just read the Eddie Curry article. Who would want that guy in a trade anyway? He only gets about 6 rebounds a game for one, secondly, well - from the article:

"Oct. 25, 2004: After Antonio Davis wrestles the Washington Wizards' Brendan Haywood to the court during a preseason altercation, Curry takes a swing at Haywood's groin area and is suspended for the first two games of the regular season. Curry scores three points and grabs six rebounds in 17 minutes during his season debut Tuesday and is one of the major targets of the United Center boo-birds.

March 10, 2004: Curry's cell phone rings twice in the locker room before a game at the Palace of Auburn Hills. Former teammate Kendall Gill tells Curry to ''be a pro'' and turn it off. It's just one of many flare-ups between the veterans and younger players on the team.

Jan. 14, 2004: A $25,000 warrant is issued after Curry missed a traffic court appearance. He later took care of the matter. Curry also had legal trouble with two Rottweilers who reportedly attacked another dog. That led to Curry moving from his home.

June 2003: Curry suffers a minor eye injury when he misses a pager thrown to him by a friend in his house. Unable to work out for a couple of weeks, Curry later reports to training camp out of shape and tweaks his left hamstring on the first day. He spends the entire season, with the prodding of coach Scott Skiles, trying to work his way into shape.

Dec. 28, 2002: Curry vents after being benched by Bill Cartwright during a loss to the Spurs. "I think it's personal," Curry said. "It's got to be personal. He kept looking right past me on the bench. I've done everything he's asked me to do, and I guess this is my way of getting paid back." Curry's entire rookie season is a struggle with playing time.

Nov. 20, 2001: The mother of Curry's first child takes exception to Curry quotes saying the child's mother was Curry's former girlfriend. The woman says they are married and going through a divorce.

June 27, 2001: Like all players, Curry is hoping to be picked higher than fourth, and his draft day didn't get any better when told the Bulls traded their best player, Elton Brand, for another teenager in Tyson Chandler. "They did what?" Curry asked incredulously. "

What is wrong with pro atheletes today? They only have to work a few hours a day for obscene amounts of money doing someting they supposedly love and many of them can't even do THAT right. Ron Artest needed time off because of his rap album? Terrel Owens fueding with everyone in his sight whether it's his opponents or his own teammates? The entire Portland Trailblazer team getting busted for drugs, DUI's, dog fighting, etc on a weekly basis for a good 5 years? Barry Bonds acting like a jackass on a regular basis (probably roid rage). Jamal Lewis apparently trying to sell a large amount of cocaine. jayson williams killing his limo driver. etc etc. How many NFL and NBA players have been in trouble with the law?

7. therealronaldo7

Apr 14, 2004
    Chicago
    This is my favorite one. In games his hands are stones and obviously off the court his hands can't catch anything either.

8. Megatron

Megatron New Member

Jul 4, 2002
    Chicago
    I've come to the conclusion that money cannot cure stupidity and it takes more than millions of dollars to get some common sense.Athletes have to be some of the stupidest people on earth,considering the opportunities they are given.

9. Ted Cikowski

Ted Cikowski Red Card

May 31, 2000
    Current NBA players who've had scrapes with the law:

Pending legal troubles: Carmelo Anthony (drug posession), Kobe Bryant (sexual assault)

Rodney Buford (drug possession)
    Marcus Camby (drug possession)
    Derrick Coleman (public indecency, resisting arrest, driving under influence)
    Eddie Griffen (drug possession)
    Juwaun Howard (driving under influence)
    Allen Iverson (drug possession, carrying gun without permit, making threats to commit bodily harm, physical assault)
    Jason Kidd (domestic assault)
    Stephin Marbury (driving under influence)
    Lamar Odom (drug possession)
    Ruben Patterson (domestic assault)
    Gary Payton (driving under influence)
    Zach Randolph (physical assault)
    Cliff Robinson (driving under influence)
    Glenn Robinson (domestic assault)
    Jerry Stackhouse (making threats to commit bodily harm)
    Rasheed Wallace (drug possession)
    Rodney White (driving under influence)
    Jason Williams (drug possession)
    Chris Webber (drug possession, assault of police officer, lying to federal grand jury)
    Bonzi Wells (drug possession)
    Qyntel Woods (dog fighting, driving with suspended license, drug possession)

that's only the current players. Don't forget about Jayson WIlliams killing his limo driver or Denni Rodman's DUI or Scottie Pippen's scrapes with the 5-0.

Or Latrell Sprewell, one of my all time favorite coach chokers who had this to say:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2004/writers/phil_taylor/11/08/sprewell/
    "In that grand tradition comes Latrell Sprewell, who welcomed fans back for the new season by declaring that the Minnesota Timberwolves had better extend his contract, which will pay him $14.6 million this season in the final year of the deal, or else he would demand a trade. The Timberwolves offered him three more years at a paltry $10 million per season, and Spree was deeply offended. "Why would I want to help them win a championship here?" he said. "They're not doing anything for me." (Did we mention that they're paying him $14.6 million?) "I'm only trying to feed my family." (Hey, don't laugh. Milk is up to $3.69 a gallon.)"

10. Megatron

Megatron New Member

Jul 4, 2002
    Chicago
    That's gotta be the stupidest thing ever I've heard.You make millions of dollars a year, how many families do you have?Oh wait this is the NBA he could be living the Shawn Kemp way of life and have multiple kids with different women.Carry on.

11. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Tell me exactly what they said and I'll tell you if I think that is "ripping" him.

And yet even though they don't like his current selfishness they are actually looking at it in the context of these first few games unlike you who thinks he will continue to go downhill and will only be a mediocre player the rest of his career.

They didn't "rip" him for selfishness when the Nuggets were winning last year, making the playoffs and doing so because of Melo.

Thank you Captain Obvious.

See above.

A change of coach who has lost his team can make a huge difference.

BzDelik lost the entire team. It's not just Melo's problem. Yet you and Ted seem to want to blame him for all of the Nuggets problems.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/columns/story?columnist=stein_marc&id=1919874

You can not like a player, but to say a player is bad based on 5 games of his second season after having a great first season and a great college career is ridiculous.

12. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    At least Ron Artest called espn to give them an interview and clear his name. This guy is a clown. Pacers are screwed.

13. Megatron

Megatron New Member

Jul 4, 2002
    Chicago
    Curry has a change of heart...
    http://www.suntimes.com/output/sports/cst-spt-bull12.html
    This guy is such a clown,I just hope his trade value goes up before his weight does so we can get this non-rebounding,underachieving piece of crap outta here.Amare made him and Tyson look like his b**ches last game,he better step up.

14. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    I actually like Artest. Sure, I'd prefer a guy who's all about the team and winning, but the fact is, most professional athletes are about the money. At least he's honest about it, and he has interests outside of basketball.

15. therealronaldo7

Apr 14, 2004
    Chicago
    Well, are not two weeks into the season and I have some thoughts and comments about the young season:

*Despite what many think, the Rockets are not that good. Two players does not make a team and until Yao gets aggressive on a consistent basis, they only have 1.5 players. Yao had 6pts and 2rbs last night.

*It pains me to say it, but the Bulls stink. Curry and Chandler are worthless. I want nothing to do with these two after this season.

*The Sonics will come back down to Earth in the next couple of weeks. While they are better than most thought, they are not this good.

*LeBron is something really special. With all the hype and hoopla surrounding him last year and this year, he is better than I ever thought he was gonna be. He is a top 5 player in the league right now.

*LeBron is my two week MVP

*My two week Rookie of the Year is Luol Deng

*My two week NBA champions are the Jazz.

16. ibreak4coffee

ibreak4coffee Member

Jul 27, 2004
    New York
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada

17. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    Hey, go easy on Vince. The league just told him he can't listen to his iPod during shootarounds.

IMHO, The Sports Guy does his best work when he's covering the NBA. Like his latest column, for instance. Too many choice parts post an excerpt.

18. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Bill Simmons is in a league of his own. I got hooked on the internet just to read him (and Jayson Stark covering baseball) regularly. He's dead-on and he's funny. His columns that are three-four years old are still right on the money, and that's a hard feat.

19. ibreak4coffee

ibreak4coffee Member

Jul 27, 2004
    New York
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    And he's a Sox fan :) and picked the Raptors to make the playoffs :) He's definitely much better than the ESPN regulars like Stuart Scott. Though I have to say that with Stein, Ford, Simmons etc... ESPN has killer NBA coverage. I subscribe to Insider only for the NBA.

20. ibreak4coffee

ibreak4coffee Member

Jul 27, 2004
    New York
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Vince can bite it... seriously he's ruining a great surprising start by a team that desperately needs a good one. He's not worth the Ipod he's listening to

21. Metros Striker10

Metros Striker10 New Member

Jul 7, 2001
    Planet Earth
    I still think that's a dumb rule. What's wrong with listening to an Ipod?

If cheating is why they are so worried, I don't think he'd bring the evidence to the game?

22. Megatron

Megatron New Member

Jul 4, 2002
    Chicago
    Bulls dropped another one to the Queens last night but the only bright spot was Luol Deng who put up 22 in 31 mins.

23. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    You didn't read the linked article, did you?

No, headphones are against rules on proper attire while on court apparently, and since pre-game warm ups are open to the paying public, players have to wear NBA regulation gear. The rule seems silly, but it is what it is.

In any case, BFD. Vince has always lacked the motivation and killer instinct to match his considerable talents, and that's not going to change with or without his personalized mix. Anyway, we all have to listen to bad arena music - Vince should have to as well.

24. ibreak4coffee

ibreak4coffee Member

Jul 27, 2004
    New York
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    If Vince promises to listen exclusively to motivational tapes and instructional tapes on how to drive to the basket, the Raptors should appeal for an exception. Otherwise, screw Carter.

25. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC