2003 WPSL Schedule is out

Discussion in 'US Women's Lower Divisions' started by gousa9, Jan 26, 2003.

1. gousa9

gousa9 New Member

Aug 28, 1999
    Canada
    hey-

the WPSL schedule is out...

www.wpsl.info

is it me...or does it look very short?? maybe it's like that every year...

i see a few new teams and a few teams gone....

elaine

2. Canadian_Supporter

Staff Member

Dec 20, 1999
    Prostějov, CR
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Interesting to read that they might be applying to become a national league in a few years. Apparently there is interests in placing teams in the midwest and east coast.

3. I didnt access the actual schedule, but saw the home page remarking about the months the league runs, and it doesnt seem different to me than in past years. Although I sure wish it were longer (and that the league were national, thus maybe creating a Div. III, since, heck, even though this league evolved from the breakaway of a couple teams from the W-League, it sure isn't as well known, so why doesn't the USSF just reclassify it as a Div. III league).

Maybe I wasn't looking too carefully, but I didn't see where the league lost any teams. I only saw Chico and another one or two added, which makes me happy! :D

It also makes me happy that the league is so early with releasing its schedule. I won't be able to go to San Diego this summer, but maybe next summer. And I can plan it so I see a game against a team with Sacramento State alums (who are currently on EG and Storm).

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaay!!!!! I'm gettin' anxious for soccer season!

4. gousa9

gousa9 New Member

Aug 28, 1999
    Canada
    chico is new, as well as the central valley rebels (FYI, the team is based in modesto, and actually is coached by tisha venturini's youth coach...tish played on the rebels team too...well, the youth team)

i looked at the teams again, and the only one that didn't return from last year is the Albuquerque Crush.

looking forward to seeing results etc. cheering for the ajax again this year, since isabelle harvey is still listed on their roster!

elaine

5. Yikes! I forgot about Abq. I wonder if they decided to stick with the W-League or outright fold? Seems a bit too busy to be competing in two leagues unless there were seperate squads for each league. I forget what Abq. did in this regard.

6. fanmaster

fanmaster New Member

Jun 28, 2002
    memphis, tn
    Actually playing in both leagues is prohibited, the USL no longer allows any of its teams to be in the MPSL or WPSL, USL team owners cannot own a WPSL or MPSL team AND USL teams are not even allowed to play against WPSL or MPSL teams.

7. That's awful! I think one of the best things in soccer is seeing teams in different leagues play eathother. I wonder how this proposed Women's Open Cup will work, then. I was hoping to see the W-League, WPSL, and WUSA in such a tournament. It would only make sense.

Phooey on the USL!

8. fanmaster

fanmaster New Member

Jun 28, 2002
    memphis, tn
    In most instances I would agree that it would be good to compete against the other leagues, but there are some behind the scenes politics going on that is causing this attitude. I cannot blame the USL in this case but it is too bad it has to come to this.

9. TOTC

TOTC Member

Feb 20, 2001
    Laurel, MD, USA

That is, unless the WPSL starts allowing college and high schoolers on their teams.

I think the WPSL aspires to be the AAA affiliates of the WUSA; the W League can serve as training grounds for the reserve players or people they may want to look at the following season (Missy Gregg) but WUSA teams cannot simply "call up" a player from the W League because of the presence of amateurs with NCAA eligibility.

10. merlinpride

merlinpride New Member

May 13, 2002
    Maryland
    USL ban on WPSL teams

I've seen no verification that the USL has placed a ban on W-League teams playing against WPSL teams. The ban would make no sense. Both leagues are sanctioned by the Amateur arm of USSF. Why would the W-League not play the WPSL teams and crush them like bugs just to show which league is better.
    Actually if the Women's Open Cup comes about the only way the W-League can avoid playing the WPSL is by not entering the competition.