2002 College Football Season Thread [R]

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Jeff, Aug 1, 2002.

1. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    i have no bias in the issue, i could care less who won and lost...and i never thought that was a catch. guy never really had control of the ball. i thought it was an incomplete pass...

2. Mr Hanki's Throne

Mr Hanki's Throne New Member

Mar 13, 2001
    Wellington, Colo
    If there is such a debate over who is the real 'USC', just call South Carolina the `Cocks and be done with it.

3. dfb547490

dfb547490 New Member

Feb 9, 2000
    The Heights
    BC beat UConn 24-16 but we looked very shaky in doing so. UConn scored the first touchdown (missed the PAT) and then added another 10 points to go up 16-3 at one point. Much of this was because of the punt returner, who twice attempted to let punts bounce but then touched them, the first time BC recovered but the second time the Huskies got it and it led to a touchdown.

Knight was great, I don't know if he's going to be the next Green but he had a good game.

Stanford up next. Good news that their QB is out. We won't win if we play like we did yesterday, but we didn't play anything like our potential yesterday--plus I imagine UConn was a lot more fired up for the game than we were.

Alex

4. Jeff

Jeff Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Alexandria, NOVA
    Alex, how big are BC's corners? Not that height is everything, but Stanford has very tall receivers, which could be a HUGE matchup advantage for them.

What happens yesterday happens a lot, a team that should win by 40+ points not taking the game real seriously. Fortunately BC was able to rally, and has a trio of good backs.

5. Ludahai

Ludahai New Member

Jun 22, 2001
    Taichung, Taiwan
    But after the top two or three teams, the ACC is CRAP! The SEC goes six or seven deep (at least) with quality teams.

6. Ludahai

Ludahai New Member

Jun 22, 2001
    Taichung, Taiwan
    And Southern Cal? The Trojans 'aka the Condoms'? That might be a nice fit.

7. amerifolklegend

amerifolklegend New Member

Jul 21, 1999
    Oakley, America
    I'm amazed at this post.

Really. I had no idea that UCONN had a football team.

8. amerifolklegend

amerifolklegend New Member

Jul 21, 1999
    Oakley, America
    Face it. You can't win this arguement.
    The ACC has won the last two national championships. Nothing that you can say can change this and take aways from the ACC's 2-0 record versus EVERY OTHER CONFERENCE IN THE COUNTRY in title games in the last two years. There is no better than that.

Now, can we get back to football?

9. oman

oman Member

Jan 7, 2000
    South of Frisconsin
    OU drops, spread, sodomize and golden showers...

hayseed preverts...

10. oman

oman Member

Jan 7, 2000
    South of Frisconsin
    So BC losses by 7, rather than 27. Big deal...

The only thing worse that being a Papist is going to a second-tier Papist university.

(Sumbitch. Lewis is out.)

11. oman

oman Member

Jan 7, 2000
    South of Frisconsin
    At least the sodomites...

apparently.

12. oman

oman Member

Jan 7, 2000
    South of Frisconsin
    You should hear me rag on the evangelicals during the Stanford/Bob Jones University/Oral Roberts/Liberty Baptist Water Polo Tournement.

It's relative. I am a man a limitless transitory prejudices...

13. oman

oman Member

Jan 7, 2000
    South of Frisconsin
    And speaking of overrated teams, I had the good fortune of going to the Texas v. Consolidated University of North Texas on Saturday.

I have never seen a more emotionless offensive unit that the one that was out there.

There was a moment that could have been great when Sims had the ball on a run around the 12 or so of Con-UNT. He runs it up to the five or so, and then facing a tackler, slides.

Now deserved or not, he could have gained a stadium full of respect by just running into the guy. I don't need an OU tailback-doing-a-flip-over-the-defensive line. I would just like a 6-5 guy running into the defensive guy.

Now granted, maybe his coaches told him he's too valuable, and maybe he does give his offensive line a hollerin' at after the game. But tarnation. Get angry. And if Con-UNT is stuffing the middle, run at in anyway. And you know what? There is a better chance of your knee getting blown out in a sit down sack than you getting a little clocking by a safety.

Now to be honest, the UNT guys actually looked bigger and faster than I expected.

At least OU improved as the game progressed....

14. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    USC Condoms 24, Auburn 17.

Trojans!
    Gators!
    Brasil!

15. Mike Marshall

Mike Marshall Member+

Feb 16, 2000
    Woburn, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, it's now officially Florida-Miami week. This season's first Game of the Millennium.

Grossman. Dorsey. Graham. McGahee. Jacobs. Johnson. Scott. Joseph. Zook. Coker. The Swamp. 85,998 screaming Gator fans. 2 frightened scUM fans.

Does college football get any better than this? It's the first regular season meeting between UF and UM since 1987, even though Miami beat Florida in the 2000 Sugar Bowl in a game that was probably a little close than the final 37-20 score might indicate.

If you haven't noticed, Miami and Florida don't like each other, either. The week before the 2000 Sugar Bowl, the two teams brawled on Bourbon Street.

Florida is an early 2.5 point favorite over the #1 team in the country. This should be a blast. And I've got tickets. :)

16. trickyfool

trickyfool New Member

Feb 11, 1999
    Orlando, FL
    I too have tickets for the game. I'm like a kid waiting for christmas morning right now. The game should be a fantastic matchup. Win or lose, this game should be loads o' fun

GO GATORS!

17. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So did I. That was the most inept 27-0 win that I have ever seen.

18. oman

oman Member

Jan 7, 2000
    South of Frisconsin
    And to top it off, white shoes....

19. metroflip73

metroflip73 Member

Mar 3, 2000
    NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    2nd tier Catholic school? So, are the South Bend Scum in the 1st tier by themselves?

Pshhh...Whatever.

Horace Dodd...Drive killer.

For me Derrick Knight gets the start even tho Tom O'Brien gave the job to Dodd for his supposed size and speed (size=Brokaw, speed=Knight)

Just go with the guy who knows the system better...Knight?

So to NorthGoalGang and the rest of the rabid dogs, good result. I'm sure it woke BC the hell up.

Defense is always a question.

Jeff, not sure who is working the corners (no football media guide on sale at the website this year), but the DBs use a combo of Shean, Bessette, Flores (brooklyn reprazent), and some other who slip my mind.

This team will go as far as the war in the trenches goes. If the o-line can hold, we can get 6 wins at the least, if the d-line holds, maybe more

BC folks have been forecasting 9-3 or 8-4. I'm thinking 8-4 tops.

20. Jeff

Jeff Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Alexandria, NOVA
    Lenny Walls would be great to have for one more year because of his height vs. Teyo Johnson and the rest of the receivers. However, one thing I didn't know until I saw my pick em games, it's Stanford's first game. Having a game under their belts should really help BC (see CSU vs. CU).

21. metroflip73

metroflip73 Member

Mar 3, 2000
    NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As long as the o-line holds...

22. nowhere

nowhere New Member

Jul 2, 2002
    26-8 against the defending SEC champions and it wasn't nearly that close. Watch out for Virginia Tech, I bet they'll be undefeated going into the Miami game in December. Best set of backs in the nation. I'm predicting that this is the year that we win it all.

23. Jeff

Jeff Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Alexandria, NOVA
    BC just got a stupid ass personal foul called on them. Would have been 4th and 20 for Stanford, tie game, 4th quarter, 4 min. left.

Still no offensive TDs for Notre Dame, but 2-0. Michigan will kick their asses next week.

OU is TRAILING 24-23 with 10:16 left. Up 23-3 at the half. Bama went ahead on a fake FG/extra point.

24. oman

oman Member

Jan 7, 2000
    South of Frisconsin
    Yeah. Unless Georgetown are fisheaters as well.

I am sorry, were we talking about BU?

25. oman

oman Member

Jan 7, 2000
    South of Frisconsin
    Definately hedging my bets, but ultimately feel more complete with the undefeated OU hatred in the pit of my stomach, rather than just the OU hatred, pure and simple...