2 things I don't like about the iPod

Discussion in 'Technology' started by Kryptonite, Oct 20, 2005.

1. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've had my iPod Mini for some time now, and I love it. It's the greatest thing ever. It's small, loud enough (at times) to get the job done and it works wonders.

However, if Apple could add these features to future iPods, then they'd REALLY take off (if they're on mine, I don't know about them.)

1) Delete songs "on the fly." Yes, if I have a song that I just can't listen to, I copied it from a scratchy CD, or it's one of those MP3's that has the background noise added to thwart pirates, I should be able to delete the song without having to attach it to a computer.

2) Send songs. My buddy has a song. I want that song. Why can't I somehow send it over to my iPod. Suppose it's a protected file. Just count the copy as one of the copies.

No huge deal on either feature, but those are two features that I think are missed. A bigger screen might be useful for playing Solitaire, but i'll live.

Thoughts?? Comments??

2. Foots

Foots Member

Jan 7, 2002
    Ellicott City, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    The only thing I hate about the iPod Mini is that the battery runs out pretty fast.

3. Toon³

Toon³ Member

Dec 27, 2002
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    1) I have a 20gig iPod so iffy tracks don't bother me cos I just skip past them.

2) The 7th?? generation ipod will probably have bluetooth or alike to share tracks on the move.

The thing I hate the most about my iPod is the headphones. They are uncomftable and crap.

4. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wireless would be NICE. I use my iPod to DJ off (as i'm sure others do). It'd be sweet to have the ability to move around and not be stationed to the DJ table.

5. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you love your backlight and use the mixer features. I use my iPod maybe 2 hours a day, sometimes more, and it's fine for most of the week. Importing songs helps too, since it'll automatically charge off the computer.

6. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    One thing I hate is the fact that you can't plug your headphones into the iPod and listen to it at the same time the iPod is attached to your computer.

I want to be able to add music to it using iTunes and listen to it at the same time.

7. bostonsoccermdl

bostonsoccermdl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Not to nitpick or be a wiseass, but couldnt you just listen directly off the computer (ie. realplayer) the same music as you adding music?

8. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't like the fact that the sound quality is about on par with my old walkman from the early 1990s.

9. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    The only way I can listen when the iPod is plugged in and I'm transferring songs is to plug my headphones into the PCs sound card speaker/headphone jack. That's all well and good except for the fact that there's a noticable background hiss from the sound card when nothing is playing. There is no background noise when I have headphones plugged in to the iPod.

10. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    I think you need better headphones. Seriously.

11. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    Indeed.

Sound quality and battery life are my two biggest complaints. Obviously having some form of file sharing would be great, but since nothing else has it yet, I don't think we can complain about it.

12. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    I have the Alpine KCA 420i iPod adapter which plugs directly into my Alpine CDA-9820XM head unit.

I plug my iPod into the iPod adapter, and when I play music through my iPod I don't notice any difference in sound quality between that and CDs I play directly in the head unit, or music I play on XM radio.

I also listen to my iPod through my home stereo all the time. I plug an RCA adapter cable into my system's CD input jacks, press play on the iPod, and viola, music that sounds great comes out of my system.

The headphones that ship with the iPod suck. They are horrible. If you're getting bad sound quality from your iPod, I'd be willing to bet the problem isn't the iPod itself. Rather, it's your headphones.

One caveat - I had a fourth generation iPod (20GB), and I just bought the 5th generation "video" iPod (60GB) yesterday. I don't know what the sound quality is like on 1st through 3rd generation iPods, nor on iPod Minis, Nanos or Shuffles. I also rip all my CDs with iTunes set to "High Quality" (128 kpbs).

13. bostonsoccermdl

bostonsoccermdl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Denver, CO
    my 2 biggest complaints are:

1) Cant delete while you are on the road.
    2) Price. When all is said and done it is a cool product, but their are several Mp3's that get the same job done for 1/3 the price....
    I have no need for anything more than 30 songs. (I have the tendency to listen to 5-10 at a time and get sick fo them)

Unfortuantely, my first Ipod was stolen out of my pocket at a crowded pub off a coathangar on the wall.

My dad then gave me his (he lost interest) and his fell out of a pocket in a cab. I realized next morning... :rolleyes:

I am convinced I have the Ipod curse (I NEVER lose things) and am promising myself I will stick with a cheap item for now on.

14. scaryice

scaryice Member

Jan 25, 2001
    No reason you should getting any of those mp3's...

15. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's not the headphones. The iPod series is notorious for poor sound quality.

16. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    See my post above. I honestly can't tell the difference between music I play directly from a CD versus music I play off my iPod when the iPod is plugged into my home or car system.

17. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Really? I thought it has performed well against many of its competitors. It may not be audiophile quality, but notorious for poor sound? Same quality as your old walkman? That sounds like Hamatachi stuff.

18. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
  19. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
  20. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    What's funny is that I found it on a message board where people were seriously questioning his methodology.

21. Toon³

Toon³ Member

Dec 27, 2002
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    It wasn't WR was it?

22. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    Obviously, his underwater test was flawed. ;)

23. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you rip a CD with the same quality on to two different MP3 players (one being the iPod) and play the songs on an average CD player and both players, there are some subtle differences (iPod doesn't reproduce bass as well and isn't quite a rich). I don't necessarily think iPod is a poor as some people say, but it isn't in the top five of sound quality. Most sites that have reviewed it (PC Mag, CNET, etc.) don't consider iPod to be the machine for people who are looking for good sound.

The trick is the quality that you rip you CDs at. It helps, but even then, iPod still underperforms a bit.

That's hilarious.

24. Fleetwood Mac #1

Fleetwood Mac #1 New Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Queens, NY
    Not being able to burn the videos I bought from iTunes store to dvd's would be a turnoff for me.

Edit: Another thing would be the absence of a built in microphone to record voice.

25. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Voice-recording would be another nice feature. It's not uncommon for students to record lectures. Heck, you could even make a directory for each class. Call the top level something like "school", then click on that, and there's a list of subjects. Click on that, then instead of each song, it's a list of days.