2. BUNDESLIGA 2007/08 thread [R]

Discussion in 'Germany' started by Dead Fingers, May 23, 2007.

1. LoewenBoy

LoewenBoy Member+

Aug 25, 2004
    Giesing, Muenchen
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Sint Maarten
  2. Borussia

Borussia Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    Fürth near Nuremberg
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    That should be peanuts for him ... with a privat asset of more than € 6 billion.

3. Borussia

Borussia Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    Fürth near Nuremberg
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
  4. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    and its probably growing.

If the team loses €5 million a year he can do that for the next 1,000 years ;)

5. LoewenBoy

LoewenBoy Member+

Aug 25, 2004
    Giesing, Muenchen
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Sint Maarten
    Re: Reisinger's Fine

That's it? He pulls a Clint Mathis because Labbadia does not play him and he scores a Joker and they fine him 2k?

He's worth 6 billion!!!! Shiite, why doesn't HE buy a team like Hoppenheim and buy them to the 1.BL? That's the only way Fuerth will ever make it there. :D

6. Projekt4

Projekt4 Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Lübeck
    Club:
    Hamburger SV
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    His disposable fortune is "barely" more than €1 billion. The other billions are locked into charitable foundations. Youth football may count as a charitable cause, but his club itself doesn't.

Edit: This is important only in one sense: Because so much of his fortune is bound to be spent on charitable causes, it remains quite likely Hopp will become a major player in nurturing talent for the national team.

7. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Reisinger's Fine

What do you mean? He basically owns the club now and is taking them up the ladder.

8. LoewenBoy

LoewenBoy Member+

Aug 25, 2004
    Giesing, Muenchen
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Sint Maarten
    Assuming cost of players is a reasonable barometer of performance, he'd have to triple his spend to retain players the caliber of other teams who are barely mid-table teams just to compete. Look at what Hertha and other mid-table teams shell out each year - in larger markets - for decent talent. Hoppenheim would have to do that year-on-year to stay competitive. I just cannot see that happening.

In the last 20 years what other small market team, other than FCK and Freiburg, have managed to stay competitive on a consistent basis? FCK has ~150k people there, Freiburg twice that. Even Cottbus is smaller than Freiburg and look what they have done.

How many people live in greater Hoffenheim/Sinsheim area? 2.3 million? :D If you count cows maybe.:cool:

If they DO manage to go up and stay there without bleeding too much $$ he may very well have created a new model that gives other clubs hope that, if they find a rich, sugar daddy, they too can buy their way to prosperity.

9. footyfan1

footyfan1 BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, but when they open that stadium, they will pull football fans from the Heidelberg/Mannheim area too.

And it isn't a very long drive from Wuerzburg area either. Roughly an hour by car.

The people from the small towns in the region between Wuerzburg and Sinsheim will go to Hoffenheim for good football too.

That is how they will build their fan base.

As long as they can stay afloat in the 2. Liga or 1. Liga, they will get fans.

They won't become an attendance powerhouse overnight, but they won't be as bad off as some of you predict.

10. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Keith - what do you estimate the population within an hour of the new stadium?

Karlsruhe has to draw from that area, or at least you would think they would. Stuttgart to the south, Frankfurt to the north.

No matter what, its going to be interesting.

11. LoewenBoy

LoewenBoy Member+

Aug 25, 2004
    Giesing, Muenchen
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Sint Maarten
    Its not as dense as the Ruhr but there are numbers. My fundamental problem with couting like that Eddie is that German footy is not like MLS where if you market to hispanics and soccer moms you have a good chance of filling the stadia. Germans are fairly loyal and it takes a long time to build a fan base. Not saying it cannot be done b/c FCK has >200k in town and no one needs to restate their success for nearly 40 years in the BL. But I think, just my adolecent mind running here, that this is a bit different.

Tell you what, if I hit the Texas Lottery I will buy Rocket City, snap up some key MLS players and we can make a run at the MLS. :D

12. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What I'm thinking is

a) Most fans in the area already have picked a team to support, Karlruhe, Frankfurt, Stuttgart, Evil Empire.

b) Club has been a small club forever, wasn't a fallen giant - just a small club.

I don't think they can market like we would over here, but I do think if they win - people will jump on the bandwagon. No matter what nationality, people like winners.

==
    Texas Lottery: I like the way that sounds.

13. footyfan1

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And they will still go to a closer club to see football. Even if they don't become "fans", they will still frequent matches at that stadium. They will buy tickets, pay for parking and buy sausage and beer. And in the end, that's what will matter.....

Case in point? I'm a Dortmund fan. But I live closer to Munich and Nuernberg. I go to many matches at those places because it's just more convenient than going to Dortmund. It has rekindled my love for 1860. BVB will always be first, but if I can't get there, I'll go to where it is convenient. I've gone to Bayern matches too. Going to their UEFA Cup match against Anderlecht too.

Guess what? They get my money and that's what they care about.

And I know quite a few people from that area from my Heidelberg days. Frankfurt fans? Karlsruhe fans? Please. Most of the people in that region either support VfB Stuttgart, 1. FC Kaiserslautern, BayScum, Bremen or BVB. They will go to Hoffenheim to see good football.

And guess what? If FCK goes down, they may be done for completely. Opens up a whole new fan base, doesn't it???

As I said in my last message, they won't become an attendance powerhouse overnight, but they will do better than you guys think......

14. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good points K-man.

Good football nearby willl usually draw. Maybe some initial complaints, but its not a plastic club - its a small club, a village club - but the guy's putting his money where his heart is.

15. sportfriend

sportfriend Member

Jun 24, 2006
    Canada
    you lucky bastards!!!! :mad:

SCHIRI DU ARSCHLOCH :mad:

16. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who's lucky? Mainz? yeah, I could see that.

Do they have any fans over here?

How about that Yank Nevan Subotnic getting the tying goal? I wonder if Dietmar has him on the list ;)

17. sportfriend

sportfriend Member

Jun 24, 2006
    Canada
    i still want to break something!!!

everything was great today
    the atmosphere was the best since the Heimspeil gegen Hoppenheim.
    The players played really well! lots of action, it was a great match.

Until later on in the game, Banovic was fighting and a Mainzer CLEARLY tipped the ball with his hand in the box...The ref didn't see anything of course

At first i laughed because it was Banovic and he tries so hard to score but it never goes his way...Then it started to hit me that this could really ruin everything today...But meh! everything was going so well!

P:S didn't know that guy was a yank!

until that last corner, i just knew it.

18. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yeah, that's the stuff that tears your heart out.

19. Borussia

Borussia Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    Fürth near Nuremberg
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    So do you really think that it's already over now after your guys conceded the shocking injury-time equalizer?

Well, that really hurts ... but don't forget that you're just 2 points away from spot 3.

Here's the match report with stats and the table after 22 games:

http://www.kicker.de/news/fussball/2bundesliga/spieltag/spielpaarungsbericht/object/808056

http://www.kicker.de/news/fussball/2bundesliga/spieltag/tabelle/

20. Borussia

Borussia Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    Fürth near Nuremberg
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    It seems that they lost all their fans after getting relegated from the 1st league (even the guestblock in Freiburg was almost empty tonight)...:rolleyes:;)

21. sportfriend

sportfriend Member

Jun 24, 2006
    Canada
    well lets not forget it was a monday match...I find the fan-szene in Mainz is still fairly strong, but obviously relegation has really put them down a lot more than most of us maybe expected....

Well i will have to correct myself, even though this match was a big kick in the balls during the end...i still find myself feeling optimistic because the team played very well and showed lots of signs of brilliance...I really love our new Tunisian AKROUT! it's great to have such a player when Pitroipa leaves...They played really well today as a team...It reminded me of Pitroipa and Iashvili last season.

I hope that Iddrissou will start being more effective, i expect a lot more from him but i will give him time.
    Like always our offense needs to be more consistent, and goalkeeping has been a major problem.

I wonder if Langer will replace Walke so fast, many of the fans have turned against Walke...which is too bad, he's really a great guy - excellent with fans and will always go out of his way to talk to them... but on the pitch he's made too many mistakes this season.

anyways, let's hope we play like this again next friday....

Auswaertssieg in Lautern....

22. footyfan1

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I like that too. He could have easily just bailed out FCK, thrown his weight behind KSC or even resurrected one of the Mannheim clubs.

But he wanted something at home and all his own. I find it admirable.

23. footyfan1

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not only was it a Monday match, but we also were still experiencing the tail end of hurricane force winds and storms that blew through Germany over the weekend.

Why travel in that shit when the match is on free-TV?

What f#cking sense would that make??

I don't think the fan-scene in Mainz has been "put down" one little bit.

I just think people exercised some common sense.

It could be the start of something. Or it could be that they were fired up for a Monday night television match that could put them right back in the thick of the race and played a bit over their heads.

Either way, one thing is constant. Despite all that dominance, they didn't get the job done.

He's in Freiburg for a reason. Not a good reason either. However, he can be a good 2. Liga striker and you are right to expect more from him. I don't know about "a lot more", but you are right to expect more.

Offensively, I think you guys are definitely on the right track. I don't know about goalkeeping being a "major" problem. If you're willing to give an underachieving striker time, why not a young goalkeeper??

I hate to sound this way, but you also need to remember who you are. You aren't going to get major goalkeeping talents beating down your door at SCF.

Well, I don't think the fans turning against him is what put Walke on the bench. I've said in many other forums, the day the fans start making personnel decisions is the day your coach/club is doomed to failure.

Those two keepers both know they have one guy to impress. Dutt. No one else matters.

If you guys can't win there, you've got problems.......

24. The Old Lady Hertha

The Old Lady Hertha New Member

Dec 15, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR