1st Round Playoff Attendance Predictions, part 1

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by Napoli_Ultra, Oct 19, 2004.

1. Napoli_Ultra

Napoli_Ultra Member

Jun 9, 1999
    Lorton VA
    Club:
    DC United

22nd:
    Galaxy @ Rapids - 10,000

23rd:
    Crew @ Revolution - 11,000
    DC United @ MetroStars - 15,000

24th:
    Wizards @ Earthquakes - 22,000

I haven't looked at the stats, but I believe playoff attendances have usually not been that great. Especially for the first round and the host team only has 1 week to promote and sell tickets. With Earthquakes attendance going up as the season came to a close and last season's playoff attendance, I see them getting a good crowd.

2. okcomputer

okcomputer Member

Jun 25, 2003
    dc
    Re: 1st Round Playoff Attendance Predictions

I wouldnt expect much in the first game of the first round.
    No time to promote.

Colorado-8k
    NE-8k
    NY-12k
    SJ-14k

average=10,500

3. Brownswan

Brownswan New Member

Jun 30, 1999
    Port St. Lucie, FL

I was away on vacation, but on their last visit to Metro and the Swamp didn't FreddyU pull in 30k? What was with that night? I remember thinking "30K -- and we lose?!? That's my Metro!"

I think better than 12k will show up just to see Freddy.

4. mannellaice

mannellaice New Member

May 8, 2001
    KC, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Wrong, this is the fourth matchup in three weeks for these two teams...

LA @ COL - 11k
    KC @ SJ - 16k
    CLB @ NE - 7.5k
    DC @ MET - 12k

5. galaxyfan03

galaxyfan03 Member

Jul 4, 2001
    Glendale, California
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Galaxy @ Colorado = 15,000
    D.C. @ Metrostars = 20,000
    Columbus @ NE = 15,000
    Kansas City @ San Jose = 20,000

Perhaps a bit "too optimistic" but I figure, what the hell.

6. NattyBo

NattyBo Member+

Apr 30, 2004
    Nunya
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--

There will at least be 2 busloads full of DC fans up at NY :D

7. mr.acorn

mr.acorn New Member

Jul 22, 2001
    Grand Rapids, Michigan

Cls @ NE- 5,000...Going up against Game 1 of the World Series

8. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA

I think Gillette will draw more than 5,000, perhaps something closer 8,000, but going up against Game One of the World Series isn't exactly the best thing for attendance.

9. crusio

crusio New Member

May 10, 2004
    Princeton

This statement seems to be true. Does anyone have any opinions or draw any conclusions from this? Does it say anythng about MLS fans?

10. cosmojado

cosmojado Member

Oct 18, 2002
    in sin

As silly as "MPF" is, and likewise LA's "Go For Gold", these are attempts to promote the playoffs at an early date. Yes it does help to be in contention for a spot in the playoffs (both clubs lead their conferences and although they did drop in standings, it was not very far down), so you can begin such a campaign. This talk of 'not enough time to promote' shows a lack of effort by the Front Offices of certain clubs. I know right now as I type this that the playoffs for 2005 will start at the end of October. I can begin to prepare my 2005 playoff campaign right now.

'MPF' and 'Go For Gold' work well since they are not dated (no 2004 in the title). Posters, banners, shirts, can be made far ahead of time and be ready for dispersal when the playoff spot is secure or close to secure. You can use the race for playoff positioning as a head start to promote upcoming playoff games. So you don't make it the playoffs? Oh well, shelve the shirts and posters and save them for next season.

And the only thing keeping a team from recylcling these items is roster changes that might take a player off a poster, or kit changes.

But other than that, these things can be prepared well ahead of time.

Not enough time to promote is a poor excuse of any management.

11. soccerfan

soccerfan BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 13, 1999
    New Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

now that the RED SOX made it to the Final, how do they promote it,
    compare this to MLS playoffs,

i am sure you will have the answer

i don't see the baseball clubs or MLB advertising it, nor should MLS and its teams have to.....its up to the fans and the local media

12. crusio

crusio New Member

May 10, 2004
    Princeton

I completely agree with Cosmos and Soccerfans the above posts. Additionally, to take it an extra step, should there be a great need to have a 'sell' a playoff game? If a team average 'attendace' is 15,000, shouldn't this number plus some, be a slam dunk? Where, and more importantly whom, are the fans of the teams?

13. Andy_B

Andy_B Member+

Feb 2, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Is 8 years of history not enough for you to understand that its pretty obvious the MLS playoffs do not enjoy the same sort of elevated prominance that they do in other american sports?

MLS Attendance is built painstakenly one fan at a time. Its takes ticket sellers weeks and months to promote and sell games just to get to a 15k average.

There is simply not a high enough level of interest in MLS to ever assume that the playoffs could sell themselves.

Andy

14. galaxyfan03

galaxyfan03 Member

Jul 4, 2001
    Glendale, California
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Attendance was probably not going to be great for the Revs anyway but the Red Sox in the Series is the "worst" thing that could've happened for the Revs.

15. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Just received my playoff tickets and "Go for Gold" T-shirt. On the back of the shirt is the 2004 MLS Cup Logo. So much for recycling.

16. LA Galaxy Fan

LA Galaxy Fan Member

Feb 28, 2000
    Tokyo

Colorado-6k
    NE-5k
    NY-9k
    SJ-7k

17. cosmojado

cosmojado Member

Oct 18, 2002
    in sin

I guess I should have looked at the back of mine.

I wonder how many people will actually show up in those t-shirts for the 2nd round game on the 30th?

Anyway, my fellow friends and fans that are not season ticket holders knew of the 'go for gold' campaign and wanted to get their hands on the shirt. So even though 'GFG' (tired of typing it out) is not plastered all over LA, enough people (not counting season ticket holders) that attend games are aware of it.

I'm probably being unfair in using LA as an example. LA sports fans are very spoiled, and expect teams (in all sports) to make it to the post-season. So any questions about the post season really deal with what time is the game. The game is known, but people want to know the details so they can get tickets or know when to be in front of the TV.

The days of being ************-out-of-luck in getting playoff tickets could be coming soon in LA (as in a few years from now).

But could you imagine this playoff scenario.......

....LA vs Chivas

[Keauneu Reeves] whoa [/Keanue Reeves]

18. crusio

crusio New Member

May 10, 2004
    Princeton

Do you know if it is getting better?? Staying the same?? Worse?? You would just think after 9 years MLS could have built a fan base that would atleast fill their stadiums to their average for the regular season.

19. okcomputer

okcomputer Member

Jun 25, 2003
    dc

The biggest problem this league faces is that it has not developed a large, loyal fanbase. Most teams probably have about 5-8 thousand fans who go to every game but that is it. The rest of the attendance seems to be made up of people who go to 1 game a year just for a night out. These people probably don't know or even care if their local team is in the playoffs. Since there is little time to market playoff games, you generally only get the hardcore fans. That is what causes the attendance dropoff.

20. crusio

crusio New Member

May 10, 2004
    Princeton

Interesting.... Its hard to quantify, but over the years, have you seen this hardcore base of fans growing? I have been a METRO fan for about 3 years and their support has somewhat dwinded each year. Not by alot from as far as I can tell, but its noticable to most. Thats just one team though, I wonder about the others.

21. eejit

eejit Member

Jun 10, 2004

Wow!! Some of those predictions are too pesimistic even by my standards. I confidently predict

Galaxy @ Colorado = 11,000
    D.C. @ Metrostars = 15,000
    Columbus @ NE = 7,000
    Kansas City @ San Jose = 12,500

22. okcomputer

okcomputer Member

Jun 25, 2003
    dc

I have gone to their games since 96 and at first they had a big following but the team has never been good so over the years it has really killed their fanbase. If they ever get a new stadium, i'm sure many people would come back. For example, there were less than 6k there last year for the open cup final. That to me showed their true fanbase.

23. crusio

crusio New Member

May 10, 2004
    Princeton

Same for METRO, we had about 5,000 for last years Open Cup final. So do you think its more the atmosphere of a SSS thats lacking or the teams performance? Its interesting to see the differnet factors that bond fans to their teams.

24. ButlerBob

ButlerBob Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2001
    Evanston, IL
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

You think that would be the case. However, of that 15k average how many are group sales? I would guess a pretty good percentage. That's were you get the drop off for the playoffs. Mostly because you don't have the lead time to sell groups. :cool:

25. christhestud

christhestud Member

Jun 4, 2004

Galaxy @ Colorado = 11,000
    D.C. @ Metrostars = 13,500 (hope the Freddy factor is at work again in NY)
    Columbus @ NE = 8,500
    Kansas City @ San Jose = 15,750 (Earthquakes with highest attendance thanks to one Tony Amanpour and his 4000 tickets purchased)

Average: 12,188