1m Christians sign EU religion plea

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by BenReilly, Nov 25, 2004.

1. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/mai...is25.xml&sSheet=/news/2004/11/25/ixworld.html

2. Kappa18

Kappa18 New Member

Aug 9, 2002
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    Beitar Jerusalem FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Israel
    :) what about chaning the EU policy and bias against Israel?

3. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I guess the Euro Christians don't care much for the new European Pledge of Allegiance. I don't blame them. It goes something like this:

'I pledge alliegance to the European Union and to all the crappy countries for which it stands. A bunch of anti-christian nations led by the former colonialist powers, under the goddless void, with high taxation and massive regulations for all'

4. 96Squig

96Squig Member

Feb 4, 2004
    Hanover
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    No, it shopuld go like:
    I am happy not to live in jesusland or any country allied to it."

Seriously, God has nothing to do with politics. Period
    The only two doing this are fundamentalists, whether Christian (Texas, ...) or Islamic (Iran, ...) or anything else.
    We had enough the church interfering with everybody's live in the dark middle ages, and a million protestors won't help it. And we are a non-patriotic alliance so we actually won't have a pledge of alliegance (yep, not even in school) for Europe or any of it's very own memberstates.
    And we don#t play any national enthems in front of Sport events unless it is a national team playing (ok, the english sing god save the queen, but it is not played in the stadia, is it?)

We just don't need what the US defines as neccessary for a country, since we are not one single country and will never be. There may be different oppinions about the church's role, but we agreed on how we have it now for good reasons, and it was just Poland and the Spanish trying to block it, that does not sound like it was only France on the other side...
    If the countrys want God mentioned in a constitution they can use their very own constitutions, since the EU one does not overrwrite those but just adds some points...

5. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Excellent comeback, god and politics do not go together.

Please tell me how keeping religion out of the constitutuion means that it's a godless void? I doubt very much you'll find anything written in there that states people can't worship in a church of their choice.

You seriously believe that Europe and the union is made up of crappy anti-christian nations. Where do you think that a good portion of the people of this country came from? Perhaps you haven't noticed that despite the massive tax cuts we've been given here :rolleyes: we're more and more being over regulated.

6. Caesar

Caesar Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Oztraya
    So where are the midgets?

7. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I find it funny how I take a minute to write a silly and sarcastic European equivalent to the US pledge of allegiance and people actually take it seriously and attempt to rebut it. Yet at other times I actually write what I consider to be serious and insightful long posts on more relevant subjects and nobody even bothers to reply.

8. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Sarcasm huh!? I think your serious, more insightful ones are funnier. Abet a little repetitious in content... :)

9. Matt in the Hat

Matt in the Hat Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is really sad. The democratic example for the middle east is not Iraq. It is Turkey. This is an anti Turkmen petition and an affront to their massive effort to modernize and join the crappy ass EU.

Turkey's unequivical welcome into the EU is the most important step to modernizing the middle east. This is foolish, counterproductive and dangerous.

10. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    So 1 million people signed on, great. They just need 240 million more to get a majority.

11. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Actually, he might. And it would be a problem for Christians. There are certain passages in the Bible that support the idea of Divine Right: that the political leader - no matter who he is - is ordained by God. Therefore, it would be a sin to act against a leader, even one that persecutes Christians.

12. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Aparently, if we believe the Bible, God forgot about that particular sin when he told Moses to challenge the Egyptian ruler.

13. Mel Brennan

Mel Brennan PLANITARCHIS' BANE

Paris Saint Germain
    United States
    Apr 8, 2002
    Baltimore
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ah, finally; a group consisting of readers of both Constitutions. Not.

Riddle me this: in comparing and contrasting the EU and US Constitutions, which refers to God more? Okay, okay that's easy.

Now, this is the fun part: which constitution has more (MANY. MANY more) provisions reflecting the Christian spirit, the Christ-like way of ACTING in the world as commanded and directed by Christ?

You go read now, and have fun.

14. sardus_pater

sardus_pater Member

Mar 21, 2004
    Sardinia Italy EU
    Club:
    Cagliari Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Next time write it in lunfardo.

15. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Because it was part of God's plan to give the Jews a different ruler (which it is his perogitive to do). Don't forget that the Pharaoh was going to let the Jews go a couple times, but God hardened the Pharaoh's heart and changed his mind. Human free will does not really play a part in the story.

16. dmar

dmar Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Madrid, Spain
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain

17. AFCA

AFCA Member

Jul 16, 2002
    X X X rated
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    It won't happen. Too bad that after a 1000 years Christianity still hasn't learned not too force their backward ideas up on us all.

18. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Nobody is going to get it, but I'll give it a shot. Here is the lunfardo pledge of allegiance:

'Voy a acoyarme al aspaviento de los Yankis y al malevaje que se lo banca. Una flor de matufia, acamalada por el Barba, con morlacos para tirar a la marchanta, y morfi hasta para el mas gil.'

19. sardus_pater

sardus_pater Member

Mar 21, 2004
    Sardinia Italy EU
    Club:
    Cagliari Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    :D

http://www.abctango.com/lunfardo/lunfardo_i.php

20. Rick B

Rick B Member

Aug 26, 2003
    Harare, Zimbabwe
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Zimbabwe

Riiiight. Hmmm.

Thats as sensible as saying that Mexico's unequivical welcome into the USA is the most important step to modernising the Latin American region.

Turkey is NOT welcome in the EU.

21. Mattbro

Mattbro Member+

Sep 21, 2001

I don't get it.

22. Matt in the Hat

Matt in the Hat Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mexico is part of the OAS and NAFTA. And their inclusion into both organizations/treaties have greatly sped up the modernization of Latin America. The EU is not a nation, the US is.

Turkey has jumped through hoops in the last 10 years to become a member. Why are they not welcome?

23. Rick B

Rick B Member

Aug 26, 2003
    Harare, Zimbabwe
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Zimbabwe
    The US has just about the same amount of diversity as the EU has.

Turkey is not welcome because they are a poor country. Their income levels are so low that they would cream loads of subsidies off the richer nations. Not to mention the freedom of movement issue. To have thousands of Turks being able to move unrestricted and to be able to work in the UK would cause a huge problem. There are enough immigration problems in germany, France, Italy and the UK with Turks already. It would be a disaster. Look to be frank, most Europeans are pretty pissed at the way Bush (and a fair amount of Americans it seems) seem to think that Turkey should be in the EU. Without causing offfense, we can't quite see what the hell its got to do with you?
    The comment re Mexico was taken from Chris Patten's (former Governer of Hong Kong, now a member of the European Parliament) retort to Bush "inviting" Turkey to join the EU. The point is, don't interfere in things that don't affect you when you haven't considered all the factors.

Turkey is not wanted in the EU by any Western nation. Period.

24. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    How do you figure that?

25. Rick B

Rick B Member

Aug 26, 2003
    Harare, Zimbabwe
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Zimbabwe

It was mostly tongue in cheek to be honest Ben. In so much as the small part that wasn't, there are many different cultures and religions that come under the US. There is a huge gap between the rich and poor and there is also a lot of economic diversity between the different states. But as I stated firstly, it was a tongue in cheek comment.