1989-2014 FWCC: Bayern Munich 12-13 vs AC Milan 89-90 (2nd rd - Neutral Venue)

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by PDG1978, May 3, 2015.

?

What is your prediction for the result and scoreline?

Poll closed May 10, 2015.
  1. 1-0 to Bayern

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 1-0 to Milan

16.7%
  3. 2-0 to Bayern

16.7%
  4. 2-0 to Milan

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. 3-0 to Bayern

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. 3-0 to Milan

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. 2-1 to Bayern

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. 2-1 to Milan

16.7%
  9. 3-1 to Bayen

16.7%
  10. 3-1 to Milan

16.7%
  11. 3-2 to Bayern

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. 3-2 to Milan

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. 4-2 to Bayern

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  14. 4-2 to Milan

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  15. Other Bayern win (please specify in thread, otherwise default is 4-1)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  16. Other Milan win (please specify in thread, otherwise default is 4-1)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  17. Bayern to win in extra-time (please feel free to specify details of chosen scoreline in thread)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  18. Milan to win in extra-time (please feel free to specify details of chosen scoreline in thread)

16.7%
  19. Bayern on penalties (please feel free to specify details on thread)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  20. Milan on penalties (please feel free to specify details on thread)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    #1 PDG1978, May 3, 2015
    Last edited: May 3, 2015
    Round: 2nd
    Venue: Wankdorf Stadium, Bern
    Rules: 90 minutes, followed if necessary by extra-time (original rules with multiple goals possible in 30 minutes) and then if the scores are still tied a penalty shoot-out

* Note - If you think the game will go to extra-time please choose that option (at the bottom end of the poll) and then you can say what you would choose for the score at full-time in normal time/90 minutes in the thread, as well as give details of how you'd see extra-time going

Line-ups: (diagrams in following posts)

Bayern Munich 12-13 - Manuel Neuer; Philipp Lahm, Jerome Boateng, Dante, David Alaba; Bastien Schweinsteiger, Javi Martinez; Arjen Robben, Thomas Muller, Franck Ribery; Mario Mandzukic.

AC Milan 89-90 - Giovanni Galli; Mauro Tassotti, Alessandro Costacurta, Franco Baresi, Paolo Maldini; Roberto Donadoni, Frank Rijkaard, Carlo Ancelotti, Alberigo Evani; Marco van Basten, Daniele Massaro.

Voting deadline - 10th May 2015 (1 week from now)

Main thread:
    http://forums.bigsoccer.com/threads/1989-2014-fantasy-world-club-cup.2012816/page-22

Feel free to discuss the match and how you think it would play out, and then after you vote for a scoreline feel free to provide reasoning.

If considering substitutions, please check the players were at the club in the relevant season and then you are free to consider 3 substitutions selected from the whole squad for each team, in the scenario you envisage

Estel repped this.
  2. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Bayern Munich 12-13 line-up:
    [​IMG]

3. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    AC Milan 89-90 line-up:
    [​IMG]

4. Estel

Estel Member+

May 5, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I think the difference in form will be a major factor in this match up.

IMO this Milan was in good form (and could have won a treble themselves if things had gone differently) but showed some glaring weaknesses in games outside the San Siro. Examples being the away losses to Bayern and Madrid in the CL or to Juventus and Napoli in the Serie A or more notably to those teams which would be relegated like Ascoli, Cremonese and Verona. The treble winning Bayern team however was simply playing out of their skins both home and away (apart from the defeat at home to Arsenal in the CL), during the period that they are being matched up for.

Thus I'd go for an upset(if one would call it that) 3-1 in favour of Bayern (a game of similar fashion to how the German trio led Inter beat Milan while playing as the away team at the San Siro that season). To be fair I think it could also go the opposite way (similar to how the other match between Inter and Milan ended that season with Milan winning 0-3), but due to the respective teams' overall form and Milan's weakness outside the San Siro, I think there is a higher probability of the game ending Bayern's way and thus my vote.

5. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Thanks for the input again Estel.

I have indeed gone exactly the opposite way (scoreline the same but in favour of the other team) on this one. Despite having no Gullit, I'm seeing the potential for the Milan attack still to be fluent/adept enough in possession and I'd say certainly with the other Dutchman Van Basten leading the attack I favour that attack to have more success vs Bayern's defence than Bayern's attack has vs Milan's defence. That's a bit simplistic so I'll add another post for this one too sometime, but I'm going for a classic AC Milan performance to get them through even if I agree it could easily go either way.

6. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    To finish off my thoughts and reasoning:

- It'd be interesting to see how effective Bayern were on the counter-attack. I think they could be dangerous with Robben in particular, surging down the wing but also coming infield. They can transition play well when a Milan move breaks down. But I think Milan, even if they had some losses that season and are without Gullit who missed most of it, were still generally within a peak period and hadn't hit a downturn in confidence/cohesion as much as the Barcelona team which Bayern had so much success against in 2013. And I think Ancelotti and particularly Rijkaard would do plenty of ball retrieving and blocking around halfway and more towards their own goal, even if Milan would be looking to press high up the pitch too.

- I think Schweinsteiger can have some influence in midfield in helping Bayern tick and prompting some good moves. Milan, playing a 4-4-2 might arguably be vulnerable to Bayern getting a grip of midfield, but I don't think this should be too much of a factor due to Rijkaard and also the familiar and cohesive gameplay and passing of Milan. Ribery, without Maldini to contend with, might be a factor too but Donadoni can have his own influence at the other end and it might be more fruitful in terms of what it leads to I'm thinking.

So that's a few more thoughts, but I am going with the key being Milan's attack prospering more vs Bayern's defence than vice versa. Baresi and co might have an odd moment of panic but I don't feel they're very likely to be over-run or breached too often.

7. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Result
    Bayern Munich 12-13 1-2 AC Milan 89-90