1970's Decade All-Star Line-up

Discussion in 'Players & Legends' started by leszek-antonio, Dec 11, 2011.

1. leszek-antonio

Mar 16, 2008
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    The 1970's. It was a decade of brilliant open-attacking football with some of the most technical players the world has ever seen. It was a decade of legendary teams.... such as Brazil 70, West Germany and Bayern Munich, as well as, Holland and Ajax. Also, Argentina 78 and Liverpool 77-80. To be honest, it was a period of far too many great players to fit into this 18 man squad which I call, the 1970's Decade All Star Line-up:

PLEASE NOTE: The "Legendary" Brazil 70 team included players who had peaked at the 1970 World Cup (ex. Pele, Carlos Alberto) and made little impact later in the decade. Hence, they have not been included in the squad. Others such as Jairzinhio and Rivelinio continued to play at a good, although never as good as the 1970 level..... Therefore only Rivelinio made the 1970's Decade starting lineup, not only for his magic at the 70 WC, but also for continued quality lasting until 1978.

Formation: 3-4-3

Maier-Krol, Beckhenbauer, Neal- Neeskens- Rivelinio, Cruyff, Deyna- Cubillas, Muller, Lato.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
    GOALKEEPER

1. SEPP MAIER (West Germany)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
    LEFT-BACK

4. RUUD KROL (Holland)

CENTER BACK (SWEEPER)

5. FRANZ BECKHENBAUR (West Germany)

RIGHT-BACK

2. PHIL NEAL (England)

CENTRAL MIDFIELD

17. JOHAN NEESKENS (Holland)

ATTACKING MIDFIELD

7. RIVELINIO (Brazil)

14. JOHAN CRUYFF (Holland)

12. KAZIMIERZ DEYNA (Poland)

FORWARD (S)

15. TEOFILO CUBILLAS (Peru)

9. GERD MULLER (West Germany)

16. GRZEGORZ LATO (Poland)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
    BENCH: ZOFF (G)(Italy), FIGUEROA (CB)(Chile), NETZER (AM) (West Germany), KEMPES (CF) (Argentina), DALGLISH (AM, ST) (Scotland) JAIRZINHO (RW) (Brazil), BLOKHIN (CF) (USSR)
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------

2. burco

burco New Member

Apr 10, 2011
    No Passarella?!

3. leszek-antonio

Mar 16, 2008
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    He deserves to be there.... He would be my 3rd choice between Central Defenders in the 70's....behind the legendary FRANZ and Figueroa. On the list, I only included 2 CB.... .but Passarella....should probably be there as well. He was amazing in 1978.

I think I loaded the 1970's team with West Germany and Holland players simply becasue I considered them to be better teams than Argentina 78. However, I included Mario Kempes 1978 (Bench). Probably Passarella could also be on the bench for the 70's team.

Instead I included Krol and Neal ahead of Passarella simply becasue they were RB and LB. Passarella was a CB. His problem was called FRANZ....and I only used a 3 MAN backline.

4. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel BigSoccer Yellow Card

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    I don't think Krol and Beckenbauer works. The theoretical combination of Passarella/Figueroa (for their defensive attributes) and Beckenbauer or Krol would work better. It's no secret I find Beckenbauer overhyped but he should be included so Krol can be moved to the left-back position (imo the best and most all-round left back of all-time).

Also: consider Van Hanegem instead of Neeskens.

5. schwuppe

schwuppe Member+

Sep 17, 2009
    Club:
    FC Kryvbas Kryvyi Rih
    Add Vogts, Passarella, Keegan and Zico (unless you don't want players in two allstarteams) and maybe Breitner, he had some years in the 80s; cut Kempes, Neal, Netzer (if you want Breitner), Lato and Blokhin.

6. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    You had better left-back than Breitner in that decade... Neal should indeed be cut.

7. schwuppe

schwuppe Member+

Sep 17, 2009
    Club:
    FC Kryvbas Kryvyi Rih
    Yeah except I wanted him as a midfielder, but I guess that's more 80s.

8. leszek-antonio

Mar 16, 2008
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    Breitner wasn't the best. Also Keegan wasn't as good as some of the others on the list. Zico is an 80's story. Passarella, yes, I think he deserves it. Probably should be there.....

Cut Lato and Blokhin??? Cannot. They were outstanding in the 70's.

9. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Completely agree.

But what about Deyna? Who was the outstanding Polish player?

10. leszek-antonio

Mar 16, 2008
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    Neal was a fantastic defender one of the reasons for Liverpool's great success in the late 70's and early 80's. They were the best team in the world in those days. I don't see a better option at right back...... give me a better name for that position?

11. leszek-antonio

Mar 16, 2008
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    Deyna was in the top 3-4 Attacking Midfielders of the 70's. He was a play-maker, although I could see him sacrificed for another great defender (ex. Passarella) inorder to balance my team more. All three, Blokhin, Deyna and Lato were outstanding. One of the best in that decade. I also had a difficult time leaving Kenny Dalglish on the bench....

12. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Neal wasn't always a sure starter at right back for England, if I remember it correctly.

He has also not a single PFA team of the year appearance (I don't see it as the Bible but it says something).

An alternative is Manuel Amoros of France or Eric Gerets of Belgium... My preference goes to Amoros.

13. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Yeah, in my book Dalglish>Keegan. Dalglish was a kind of player I liked very much.

14. leszek-antonio

Mar 16, 2008
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    Amoros isn't a bad choice.

15. burco

burco New Member

Apr 10, 2011
    Zico's Flamengo disagrees.

16. John K

John K Member

Nov 8, 2007
    Phil Neal wasn't great. Vogts, Amoros, Carlos Alberto, Kaltz, Gerets, Suurbier....

17. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Eurocentric and not an optimal lineup. This is much better:

Fillol or Zoff
    Figueroa
    Beckenbauer
    Passarella
    Krol
    Neeskens
    Deyna or Rivelino
    Cruyff
    Cubillas
    Muller
    Kempes

18. leszek-antonio

Mar 16, 2008
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    I have no problem with this lineup, exept for Kempes starting. There were others better, even Blokhin, Dalglish......Jairzinhio (from early 70's) if you wanted some more SA players.

In my original lineup I placed Cubillas and Rivelinio as the only SA players. I tried to find a place for Fiquraua, but I couldn't so I placed him on the bench. Now, I would also admit to a need for Passarella. However, I still think the best players in the 1970's were from Europe. These were Muller, Cruyff, Beckhenbauer, Neeskens and Lato. They were a little better than the likes of Passarella, Kempes and company. However, I would never dispute the talent of Cubillas or Rivelinio. If you want more SA players check the 1960's lineup. You have 5 out of 11 in the starting lineup. That's nearly 50%. Some decades were just better by European Teams. And in my rankings I consider the 1970 Brazil team much more in the 60's All star, because most of its stars never shined as bright following that year. That's why 70's may seem a little "euro" to you.

19. y.o.n.k.o

y.o.n.k.o Member

Jan 12, 2010
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Amoros played in 70s? Didn't he play in the 80s?

My team:

Maier
    Suurbier
    Beckenauer
    Krol
    Neeskens
    Deyna
    Rivelino
    Cruyff
    Cubillas
    Muller
    Lato

Zoff, Pasarella, Breitner, Haan, Netzer, Kempes, Dalglish.

20. leszek-antonio

Mar 16, 2008
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    Your squad is as close to my team as it gets;) Its also very euro-based. In my opinion Europe had the better players in the 70's, while SA had better players in the 60's......

21. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I think the relative isolation of the time, with most European players in Europe and South American players in SA, contributes to this bias. The Argentine generation that won WC78 is one of the finest for any nation in a given time, featuring all-time greats in Fillol, Passarella, Gallego, Ardiles, Bertoni and Kempes, with young talents like Maradona, Bochini and Diaz awaiting their turn. Had the situation been like it is nowadays, these players would have gone to Europe and sent to the bench many of the European stars of the time. For instance, take Sergio Aguero, who joins Manchester City this year and immediately becomes their star player, ahead of the Europeans (Silva, Dzeko, Balotelli, Johnson, etc.)

22. Perú FC

Perú FC Member+

Nov 16, 2007
    Lima, Perú
    Amoros and Gerets were by sure 80's players.

Apart of Vogts, I'd say the best European right-back from 70's was Danny McGrain.

23. burco

burco New Member

Apr 10, 2011
    This my 70's team (bolded are untouchable);

---------------Maier

-----Vogts-----Passarella----Figueroa----Krol

-----------------Beckenabauer

----------Van Hanegem-------Rivelino

-------Cubillas--------Muller--------Cruijff

2nd team:

--------------------------Zoff

-----Suurbier----Luis Pereira---Schwarzenbeck-----Breitner