1860 keen on signing mathis

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by m vann, Dec 2, 2004.

1. Sinko

Sinko New Member

Dec 28, 1999
    xalapa ver mx
    Club:
    Harrisburg City Isl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is that an objection to a choice of words?

2. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Don't speak Canadian, eh?

3. coldfusion

coldfusion Member

Dec 3, 2003
    SoFla / SoCal
    I don't know, they had three pretty good seasons after that.

4. profiled

profiled Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 7, 2000
    slightly north of a mile high
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy

I think the jist of his complaint, is that if you're American, quit trying to use flashy british footballisms and language, you sound like a dick.

No offense honestly, it's just lame to try to use non standard American English in an attempt to sound like a soccer elite.

Oh yeah, and please, oh please for the love of god don't refer to your team as "the lads".

Cheers.

5. Rommul

Rommul Member

Aug 26, 2003
    NYC
    This is a good move. German football is the most professional in the world. The beeter BL2 outfits are better run than some of teams in many first divisions (see: Italy).

6. scaryice

scaryice Member

Jan 25, 2001
    When you watch a lot of soccer, or read websites, you tend to find yourself using those terms. It's not a big deal.

7. profiled

profiled Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 7, 2000
    slightly north of a mile high
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy

I live here, and I've managed to avoid it for the most part, you don't watch *THAT* much on tv or read that many articles.

:D

8. Treetaliano

Treetaliano Member

Jun 29, 2002
    Charlotte, NC
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to profiled again.

9. Parmigiano

Parmigiano Member

Jun 20, 2003
    Plus, using British football jargon in describing a game is a hell of a lot better than applying American sports terms to soccer, IMO.

And I believe the reports from a certain yanksabroad website are often full of jargon from the British game, though its use is not always spot on, as it were.

10. Deimos

Deimos Member

Apr 23, 1999
    Louisville, KY, USA
    In order to bring this back to the subject at hand, I'll say, I'll start talking about pitches and kits as soon as Clint does.

11. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax

keen is a flashy footballism? non standard american english?

geez, the things people get bothered by...

12. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
    Keen is only for the English. Wait you're from SoCal so you have little room to lecture on the usage of the English language, you're from the land where every sentence contains "dude" or "like". Keen does seem a bit 50's to me.

13. Sinko

Sinko New Member

Dec 28, 1999
    xalapa ver mx
    Club:
    Harrisburg City Isl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's great. Now would you be so kind as to define the word petty?

Am I correct in that Treeitaliano is the Yanks-Abroad.com writer, Chad Winger?

14. taylor

taylor Member+

Jun 9, 2000
    Fav team: FC CARL ZEISS JENA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Wozers, Batman you have been discovered!

I agree that Britsh soccer English has no place in America, except for pitch. But I am not sure if that is an English or an American word, so lets just agree that it is an American word and not use other words such as "lads", "brilliant", etc. These words do not need to be used to clearly demonstrate your soccer knowledge or your depth of traveling.

15. nancyb

nancyb Member

Jun 30, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought keen went out with Leave it to Beaver.

16. Red Card

Red Card Member+

Mar 3, 1999
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Getting back to Cleetus. If the 1860 offer is the best offer compared to the MLS-RSL offer and any potential offer to be a placekicker for NFL-E, why shouldn't he take it? He has to prove himself all over again. He can no longer ride his reputation from 2-3 years ago.

17. flanoverseas

flanoverseas New Member

Mar 2, 2002
    Xandria
    "Cheeky" passes don't fly either.

18. flanoverseas

flanoverseas New Member

Mar 2, 2002
    Xandria
    You linked his article - I'm thinking that you wanted to point out some britisms. I didn't see any, but I could've missed them.

19. 96Squig

96Squig Member

Feb 4, 2004
    Hanover
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    http://www.hannover96.de/MODULES/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=488&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=680

'Kronsberger' was at practice, they had a tournament with 4 9-man teams, Mathis was in the red team, and he was described as unmotivated, so it does not look that he'll stay in Hanover :-(

20. wolfsburgh

wolfsburgh Member

Aug 6, 2001
    Pittsburgh, PA
    This is sort of right but not really. Personally, I agree that TSV's stay in the 2.BL will not be an extended one, but there has been a marked decrease in quality at the club over the last five years, and past history suggests they might not turn things around as quickly as you think. TSV was a founding member of the 1.BL in 1963 and won the 1.BL in the 1965-66 season. But in 1970, they were relegated to the Regionalliga (at the time, W. Germany did not have a national second division), where they stayed until 1974, when they moved up to the new 2.BL (a national second division). They played 2.BL soccer for a few years and at the end of the 1970s into the very early 1980s, they yo-yo'ed back and forth between 1.BL and 2.BL. In 1982 they were relegated to the third division Bayernliga (one of the weaker third divisions in Germany) where they stayed until the early 90's, when they yo-yo'ed between the Bayernliga and 2.BL for a few years before earning promotion in a bit of a shock to the 1.BL in 1994. They then stayed in the 1.BL for ten years, finishing 14, 8, 7, 13, 9, 4, 11, 9, 10 and 17 respectively. So recent history might suggest that they are, as you say, on hiatus from the 1.BL. But a larger snapshot suggests that this is a team that tends to settle in for long stretches at a certain level of competition (a first division side in the 60's, a second division side in the 70's, a third division side in the 80's, a first division side more recently).

FWIW, TSV has a huge game on Monday against Greuther Fuerth, their Franconian rivals and one of the four teams (the others being Cologne, Duisburg and Aachen) battling it out for the three promotion spots. Win that game and TSV might be nicely positioned to make a run at a promotion spot in the second half of the season. Lose that game, and I think they would be something like 13 points off the last promotion spot, which is a lot of ground to make up.

And more to the point, I think TSV would be a good landing spot for Mathis. TSV is the clear #2 in the city, so he won't have as much pressure, but as you and others have suggested, it is big enough of a club to have 1.BL aspirations every waking moment. If he can help the club to promotion, and given the club's reputation for being cheap, he might have the opportunity play a prominent role on their return to the 1.BL. But then again, Munich is the home of Spaten, and Loewenbrau, and Hacker-Pschorr, and Paulaner, and Hofbrau, etc.

21. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lads and lasses,

Let's keep the convo spot on in regards to Mathis' potential move to 1860, Kaiserslautern or Real...Salt Lake. Its hotting up on this transfer, but he could be brilliant on the pitch and sport his new kit with joy kissing the badge and Bob's your uncle.

Europoseur deluxe
    Panicfc

22. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Real Madrid, DC United, anywhere Pulisic plays
    Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. dcufan1984

dcufan1984 Member

Feb 17, 2002
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1860 was actually pretty damn good for georgia. 1864, on the other hand, sucked total ass.

;)

24. Sinko

Sinko New Member

Dec 28, 1999
    xalapa ver mx
    Club:
    Harrisburg City Isl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for going down the garden path with me, Flan.

My point is that anybody who would conceive of using the word thrice in a soccer article has little room to criticize the lexicon of others on a friggin message board. The last time I heard that word was when it came out of Jon Lovitz' mouth as Master Thespian.

25. penubly

penubly Member

Feb 11, 2002
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Wanker