1860 keen on signing mathis

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by m vann, Dec 2, 2004.

1. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All indication from www.yanks.aborad.com and 1860 Munich is that it's up to Mathis and his agent to do decide if he wants to go there. I think its a good fit as 1860 are trying to get back up. They're currently sitting 8th in the table but a player like Mathis and another signing could go along way to help their push.

2. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. purojogo

purojogo Member

Sep 23, 2001
    US/Peru home
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    now, this is far more realistic than the Bayern stuff.....but not by much ;)

4. kinstlinger

kinstlinger Member

Jun 20, 2002
    Baltimore
    Doesn't matter where Mathis goes.
    If he still thinks he can coast on personality and raw talent, he'll never make it in Europe.

5. flanoverseas

flanoverseas New Member

Mar 2, 2002
    Xandria
    This is odd, very odd.

I thought he was DONE in Germany.

6. pething101

pething101 Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Smyrna, Ga
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought he was already in Salt Lake.

7. USAin2006

USAin2006 Member

Sep 7, 2004
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Other teams in the BL surely noticed the splash that he made at Hannover last year --4 goals of the highlight reel variety in 5 games -- and think that he might be worth the risk. He is basically a free transfer from what I understand, so the risk is somewhat mimimal (depending on what he will get paid)...I guess I can see why a BL 2 club looking to get back up would take a chance on signing him.

8. Autogolazo

Autogolazo BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 19, 2000
    Bombay Beach, CA
    If Bolton could take a chance on a guy with a bad attitude who DOESN'T score goals (El Hadj Diouf), then surely there's nothing wrong with 1860 rolling the dice on someone who does.

9. Red Card

Red Card Member+

Mar 3, 1999
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1860 was bad for Georgia. Will 1860 also be bad for Clint?

10. AEK

AEK Member

Apr 7, 2000
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As long as he plays somewhere. He really needs to start getting some PT or his chance of making the WC06 (assuming we make it) squad are slim.

11. DLite

DLite New Member

Nov 10, 2000
    Santa Ana ,CA
    I would hope that Clint takes 1860's offer. Although it is 2BL, 1860 is still a big club that will end up in the top flight sooner rather than later.

Is there any other club that has shown the slightest amount of public interest? Other than RSL in MLS, that is.

12. fillmorejive

fillmorejive New Member

Jan 14, 2004
    LA
    Did someone say Bolton?! (look left) I'm down wit it....rather have him than Diouf.

13. CelticOnFire

CelticOnFire New Member

Aug 8, 2003
    London right now
    I dont think 1860 will be bad for Clint. After all, things cant get much worse

14. 10 fan

10 fan New Member

Mar 21, 2004
    United States
    I don't think Mathis needs to drop to a zweite Bundesliga club. Maybe not Bayern, but I gotta believe he can catch on with someone in the 1. Bundesliga.

Or surely he can find a first division club somewhere.

15. F96

F96 Member+

Oct 24, 2002
    Skåne
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    I think it would be a good fit.
    1860 clearly is the nicest team in town, he would love Munich and he could be the hero getting them promoted.

But I still believe that he could find a Bundesliga or Premier League team.

16. DLite

DLite New Member

Nov 10, 2000
    Santa Ana ,CA
    The way I see it is that 1860 is not really a 2BL club. They are just on hiatus from the BL and will be returning shortly. It is similar to Atletico Madrid about 3 years ago when they were relegated. It took them a couple of seasons to bounce back to where they belonged, as I am sure will be the case with 1860.

IIRC 1860 has always been a middle of the pack BL team and not a "yo-yo" type club that is constantly being relegated/promoted. So it would not be such a risk for Clint to go there and think that he will be mired in lower division football for too long.

17. Treetaliano

Treetaliano Member

Jun 29, 2002
    Charlotte, NC
  18. Deimos

Deimos Member

Apr 23, 1999
    Louisville, KY, USA
    I think this would be a great deal. 1860 are big enough with a good fan base that they should be able to sustain BL1. Like many othres, withthe right coach and situation he will do well.

19. pething101

pething101 Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Smyrna, Ga
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He could be at Bolton...

Kidding, I kid.

20. andythemick

andythemick New Member

Aug 22, 2003
    louisville, ky

Yeah, he could be in the top half of the Premiership table, instead of languishing in the Jolt Cola Championship. Sorry dude, nothing against West Ham, I just had to take the opportunity.

21. swilso01

swilso01 Member

Feb 25, 2004
    Philly
    Reading the article makes me a little puzzled. Seems like a no-brainer that he would want to go somewhere that he is wanted. The article seems to have a tone that Mathis might not be interested. Things that make you go hhmmmm....

22. pething101

pething101 Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Smyrna, Ga
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I expect no quarter when it comes to the suckitude of West Ham's board. Mathis could come crawling on his hands and knees, offer to play for 50 bucks and a case of beer and West Ham would pass.

23. purojogo

purojogo Member

Sep 23, 2001
    US/Peru home
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    if the story were true, he'd certainly be done in Germany......when it comes to TOP flight football, at least for the time being.....

24. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Someone told the sportswriter in question that a Munich team was interested and in the writer's head only the Bayern name must have registered.

25. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca
    Dude, its called negotiation. Now, maybe Clint knows his value, and gets better offer/better team/better situation/better money.......or he blows it (and the only offer he's getting), but playing this out is not unusual, nor particularly dumb...