18 tickets to China

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by pwip, Jan 25, 2008.

1. pwip

pwip Member

Jul 10, 2004
    Dallas
    I don't remember but someone had started this already.

The Qual and Olympic team will be vastly different.

Who's punch their ticket for the March Qual so far?

Alvarez
    Ianni
    Sasha
    Dax
    Edu
    Jozy
    Rogers
    Davies
    Holden
    Randolph
    Wynne
    Johann
    Seitz
    Findley

2. Juke Box Hero

Juke Box Hero New Member

Jul 6, 2007
    Well, you ask about who's going to China in the thread title and who's going to the qualifying tourny in your post. Since the qualifying roster is cloudier due to club issues, I'll take a stab at a team for China. It's what I'd like to see, anyway...

-----Adu---Altidore----
    -------Klejstan--------
    Rodgers-------Bradley------Johann S.
    ----------------Edu-------------
    ------Sturgis---------Wynne------
    -------------Spector---------------
    -----------Tim Howard-------------

if Nowak does go with a 3-5-2, I like the speed of Rogers and Johann with all the ground they'd be asked to cover. And I think a 3-5-2 would utilize our strengths in midfield best. Other midfield options include Feilhaber, Dax, Alvarez, Holden and Gaven. If we do use the 3 overagers, Howard is a no-brainer in my mind being the single biggest upgrade we could make.

3. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Well, 18 Tickets to Tampa just doesn't sound the same.;)

4. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    Well, discussing the three overage exceptions (assuming we use them... they're going to be allowed this time around again, yes?), Howard would be a no-brainer, but I could see the wisdom of Bradley campaigning Nowak to take Guzan, our youngish-#2-in-training. Either would be easy choices. A second player that might make a lot of sense is actually Frankie Hejduk. He still appears to have the legs and lungs that can run with 20 year olds, and his style of positive, upbeat veteran leadership would be an asset in China. The downside is that he'd be taking the place of a kid that could really use the time there, Wynne. A third could be Landon, but the downside to that is a bit stronger as we've got a lot of young attackers, and this is really their time to shine (most particularly Adu... this is his chance for an encore performance to the U20 WC on a bigger stage... this is his chance to make this team his). Most of our senior talent in midfield is young anyway, so no need for an overager there. So we're probably looking at a central defender for the third pick. It would make sense if it's a back-up or bubble guy trying to force his way through that could nevertheless solidify the squad. Parkhurst. Conrad. Demerit. Robinson. Goodson. Possibly Califf (though he wouldn't be my pick). My pick would probably be Parkhurst, though I'd give strong consideration to Robinson and Demerit.

A couple of names that I didn't see mentioned were Sal Zizzo and Danny Szetela. They're both in Europe and I'll assume that they're in the mix to be included.

5. pwip

pwip Member

Jul 10, 2004
    Dallas
    here's my stab:

Over-age:
    1.Parkhurts
    2.Guzan
    3.Dempsey

4. Adu
    5. Altidore
    6. Edu
    7. Bradley
    8. Spector
    9. Davies
    10. Smith
    11. Rogers
    12. Alvarez
    13. Randolph
    14. Holden
    15 Ianni
    16. McCarty
    17. Wallace
    18. Seitz

6. Juke Box Hero

Juke Box Hero New Member

Jul 6, 2007
    Yeah, much like Johann Smith, Szetela and Zizzo's prospects are tied to getting games for their clubs this spring (or starring in qualifying). The midfield is so deep that Nowak is bound to give the nod to the guys who are performing on the club level.

As for overagers, I like Howard over Guzan b/c Howard is (A) better than Guzan and (B) still young in GK terms and without much big time intnl tournament experience.

Hejduk. eh...why not Cherundolo if you want a right back with those qualities? Hejduk has had his time.

Donovan I can see complaining if he's asked to go b/c he wants to stay and play with the Galaxy. I don't blame him much either. I'd stick with Euro based players b/c they don't have club commitments. If I had to choose, Id go with Howard, Onyewu, and maybe Demerit.

7. Kevin8833

Kevin8833 Member

Jun 18, 2007
    Estero, FL
    For Qualifying:
    GK: Guzan, Cervi
    DF: Wynne, Orozco, Ianni, Myers, Randolph, Sturgis, Wallace
    MF: Alvarez, Edu, Mccarty, Kljestan, Rogers, Holden
    FW: Altidore, Davies, Findley

8. mike4066

mike4066 Member+

Jun 30, 2007
    Chula Vista, CA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That would be my guess too.

9. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Hard to imagine Everton, or any of the European teams, being too thrilled with any of their starters going to the Olympics as overage players.

The Olympics are the 8-24 of August and players would obviously need time in advance of that to blend in and then a few days afterword to, at the very least, recover from the jet lag of going halfway around the world.

That basically means that any European players picked will miss all of preseason and some of the beginning of the season. Can't see Everton or Hannover or whomever being too jacked about that. The 23s, they likely have to let go, but the overage guys, while FIFA may lean on them to do it, if the clubs don't want to let them go I can't imagine the players being too willing to jeopardize their standing over it.

10. ElRoss425

ElRoss425 Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Over-age:
    1.Parkhurst
    2.Guzan
    3.Cooper

4. Adu
    5. Altidore
    6. Edu
    7. Bradley
    8. Spector
    9. Davies
    10. Wynne
    11. Rogers
    12. Alvarez
    13. Randolph
    14. Holden
    15 Ianni
    16. Gaven
    17. Feilhaber
    18. Seitz

GK: Seitz, Guzan
    D: Ianni, Randolph, Wynne, Spector, Parkhurst
    MF: Feilhaber, Gaven, Holden, Alvarez, Rogers, Bradley, Edu
    F: Davies, Cooper, Adu, Altidore

11. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Donovan was asked this question by a couple of reporters, and he stated he would love to go to the Olympics if he's asked. Here's one link and there's another one from a different reporter, but I can't find it at the moment.

http://www.insidesocal.com/sb/inthiscorner/2008/01/landon_donovan_checking_in_wit.html

12. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    I`m sure we`re all delighted to hear that LD wants to go for gold.

http://www.lasoccernews.com/article.php?article_id=1585

In addition, Bradley denied that players he would like to participate would be asked if they wanted to join the Copa America squad.

“No,” Bradley declared. “It’s the national team. We don’t ask for a show of hands of who wants to go. It’s an honor and we have a responsibility. We understand that in different situations, we have to consider different factors, but no, we’re not asking who wants to go.”

13. jchae

jchae Member

Jun 4, 2007
    Chicago
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanking Guzan as one of the over age players makes a lot of sense. I'd rather not have Donovan go, what does it really benefit him to do good in what is basically a U23 tournament? I wouldn't mind seeing Bornstein on the team either.

14. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not saying he should be asked or not asked.

Someone said he probably wouldn't want to go.

I simply provided a link saying that the question had been posed to him and he answered it, saying IF he were asked, he would love the opportunity.

He is not asking to go, he is not petitioning to go, he is not bringing it to Bob or Peter's attention, he is not giving a show of hands, he is not begging Sunil. He is doing nothing. He simply answered the question.

This doesn't have to turn into something ugly.

15. Juke Box Hero

Juke Box Hero New Member

Jul 6, 2007
    thanks for finding the quote. kinda surprising to me - I recall it being reported last summer that Donovan didn't want to leave the Galaxy for Copa America. I guess he considers chasing Olympic glory more "worth it." I wouldn't mind making him the right wing for this team. It is an U-23 tourny, but between Bradley, Edu, Altidore, Feilhaber, Adu, etc I see a bunch of WC 2010 players (and starters) he can get used to playing meaningful games with. And no, I don't see anyone taking a starting spot from Donovan by 2010. Not even close.

Sandon - maybe you're right about the overage Euro based guys, but surely Howard won't lose his Everton spot if he misses preseason for Olympic competition.

16. dylanwhitcher

dylanwhitcher New Member

Nov 30, 2007
    Chicago
    I was just starting to get really excited about this opportunity...what about a lineup similar to this for the Olympics, assuming we qualify, which, hopefully, should be accomplished...

altidore
    adu
    Alvarez Zizzo (Szetela) (Rogers)
    Bradley Edu

Hejduk Wynne
    Spector Parkhurst
    Guzan

I tend to doubt everton releases timmy, and dempsey is definitely not getting released, so as far as overages are concerned, i assume MLSers might be our best options...they will be in form, and shouldnt be too tough to get them released. Parkhurst is not far away from the age limit anyways, so this could be a great opportunity for him to really make an impression with BB and Nowak. Frankie is older, no doubt, and I was disappointed seeing him start this much at the GC this summer, but the way he gets up the flanks still really surprised me...he plays his ass off every second of every game and could be a great example for all these young kids...

17. JohnJohn

JohnJohn New Member

Dec 11, 2003
    Chino
    Have not heard a word about Sizzo-is he even playing right now or is he injured?

My guess the outside wings/midfielders will be Alvarez, Rogers, Holden and maybe Smith.

Sacha and Bradley will shore up the middle and Edu will be moved back. Edu was moved back in the scrimmage with DC United and also did well in that position in the second game against China.

18. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    its not a lock that Bradley shows up... especially when he moves this summer

19. Missionary

Missionary Member

Jul 13, 2003
    Mission Viejo
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He will be there for the Olympics. Thats a lock.

20. johnh00

johnh00 Member

Apr 25, 2001
    CT, USA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Zizzo is hurt.

21. Missionary

Missionary Member

Jul 13, 2003
    Mission Viejo
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hopefully Sal gets better soon.

22. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    u think he sacrifices a chance to break into a club's first team for the Olympics?

we'll see... I think the same is true for Freddy also (at Benfica)

23. Missionary

Missionary Member

Jul 13, 2003
    Mission Viejo
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder what history on this issue has been? Has the USA had trouble in the past getting players to play in the Olympics?

24. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    the US has never had players in this position... clubs dont have to release players I believe

25. mike4066

mike4066 Member+

Jun 30, 2007
    Chula Vista, CA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They do not have to release them for qualifying but do have to release them for the Olympic games.