16 year old Saint Louisian Brandon Manzonelli signs with Spain's Villa Real.

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by soccertom, Aug 25, 2006.

1. :confused: What do you mean?

2. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
  3. Maximum Optimal

Maximum Optimal Member+

Jul 10, 2001
  4. Plan B

Plan B New Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Chicago
    Sure, but he didn't just get "interest from a top flight Euroclub" did he? OK, so let's ignore that post-Arsenal he was first injured and then out of favor with his manager, if that moves the goalposts. The indication that Karbassiyoon may have been a bigger talent than many of the U.S. 84s being selected for ODB and youth international teams and signed by MLS wasn't simply that Arsenal saw him, or signed him-- it's what he did once he was in Arsenal's system.

Which, despite the subsequent logic that being dropped by Arsenal and then becoming injured has made him a Eurofailure, was quite impressive: Within a year of moving to London, he forced his way into the reserves first XI and Carling Cup squad on one of the deepest European teams in recent memory, scoring a goal for the first team in the process. He was regularly selected and played alongside: Fabregas, van Persie, Senderos, Pennant, Clichy, Hoyte, Djourou, Flamini, Almunia, Larsson, Lupoli, Taylor, Owusu-Abeyie, Ryan Smith. That was the company that he and Simek kept-- the above was the typical reserves/Carling roster of 04-05. That doesn't put him on Fabregas' level by association, but it should indicate that he was a pretty good player. One who, at the time, was keeping Kerrea Gilbert out of the above group.

He did this in about the same amount of time than Nguyen and Bradley have been overseas-- and while learning a new position. This kid made the absolute most of his chance and time at Arsenal and then got some bad luck and I find it disheartening that he continues to get blasted on these forums. That he didn't pan out at Arsenal doesn't mean that he failed, and if you're asking for "incandescent talent" from any 20-yo U.S. player you're asking a lot, but I can't imagine that not pegging the potential of a 20-yo American good enough to move overseas and almost immediately compete in that company at that club, to make a first team debut for them at that age and score, should be something for U.S. scouting system to hang its hat on and point to as anything but a misstep.

edit: sorry to prattle on, it's just a bit bizarre that this kid get labeled a failure for...what again? For appearing and scoring for Arsenal's first team w/in a year of joining the club and then getting injured while trying to establish himself as a CCC starter? The shame!

5. Wahoo

Wahoo New Member

Aug 15, 2001
    Seattle, USA
    I tend to think that Danny K (and others) get labeled a "failure" becaue they didn't live up to the wishes and dreams of some fans.

Sidenote: Failing at a club does not make one a failure.

I agree with you, Danny is not a failure. He's not a starter in the EPL, but he's not a failure either. No matter what the situation, he's too young for that title (if it can ever really be applied to an athlete).

6. ajax1972

ajax1972 New Member

Jan 25, 2004
    One other Yank Abroad shouldn't be forgotten here....
    Manny Lagos briefly played in Spain (in D2 of course). IIRC the team was Lerida.
    Also re: the discussion about what Tab might have done for a promoted Betis, if he hadn't gotten his skull cracked....Can we imagine what would have happened to Claudio if he'd had the nerve to accept Cruyff's offer to go to Barca after the Olympics instead of opting for UVA....

7. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    I doubt things would have been very different. Claudio is now very similar to the player he has always been: skilled, cautious, possession player. I read an interview where his father, who was a professional player, always yelled at him to shoot more. It is not like he has not heard that from every coach since he was 12!

8. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't say Danny K was/is a failure. Let's keep it simple.

People are bashing the talent identification system for missing Manzonelli just like people bashed it for missing Karbassiyoon. But for all we know, in a few years, Manzonelli, like Danny K., won't be good enough for Burnley. So let's chill on the criticism.

9. pething101

pething101 Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Smyrna, Ga
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does he have six fingers on his right hand?

10. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    The kid has an own forum, so you can all ask him a question.

11. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
  12. NASL Fan

NASL Fan Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Los Angeles, USA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But please, no messages from Congresmen :eek:

13. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Ah, say no more. Explains not being in ODP. At the younger ages, it's probably harder to make the State ODP squad as a December birthday than it is to make a National team as a January birthday.

14. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    Presumably another Bigsoccer poster wrote him something:
    Manzo:
    http://www.stlsoccer.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3281

15. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
  16. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    i dont see the kids name on Villarreal's website and they have no under 17 team

17. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    He's in their Academy.

18. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    Conspiracy!!!

Theres no way an american could play for Villareal.

19. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    shouldnt that be on their website as well?

20. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not necessarlly.

That seems to be more of an English thing,back from when I had more time to peruse individual clubsites.

21. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    my thing is they have an under 8, under 10, etc sides on their site... and nothign mentions Manzonelli...

22. paul7

paul7 New Member

Nov 6, 2006
    The reason that Manzonelli isn't on the Villarreal website is because they haven't updated the academys webpages from last year. All of those kids have either moved up, moved on and plenty of new kids have been added. They update the 1st teams pages all of the time but not the academy.

23. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    we have a player who plays with the same style as Christiano Ronaldo?? Sweet!!

24. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    thnk u... thts all im lookin for...