16 year old Saint Louisian Brandon Manzonelli signs with Spain's Villa Real.

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by soccertom, Aug 25, 2006.

1. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    I would do ... now who can loan me $20?

2. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    He's not on either of the current Region 2 '89 or '90 lists. I guess that this year at least, he had bigger fish to fry than to show up at ODP camps. Either that, or they cut him.

3. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Well, either our depth of talent is far greater than we realized and kids good enough for the youth programs of La Liga teams can't get a whiff of our YNT and regional ODP programs, or.... there might be a slight problem in our scouting and indentification process.

4. Dave Brull

Dave Brull Member

Mar 9, 2001
    Mayfield Hts, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tab went in 90, Vermes in 91 according to Wikipedia

5. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    They should be athletically far superior to an average La Liga academy 16-year old.

And some of those athletically superior kids may have decent skills as well.

Now, take someone like Johann Smith - his skills, after a year at Bolton, are still pretty raw but any scout would salivate over his speed. All that remains is solid coaching.

6. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why are you assuming that our players are athletically superior?

7. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Simple demographics.

8. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    except that we have more different sports. So in that sense demographics works against us.We also have the highest level of childhood obesity in the world, by far. The idea that American kids are more athletic is nonsense. It is just not true.

9. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    I like to think positive, too. But when a player who is nearly 20 years old still has shaky technique it's a rare case that he'll improve it significantly at this point in his development.

10. CuriousGeorge

CuriousGeorge New Member

Jan 6, 2003
    SoCal

A "slight problem"??? The YNT and ODP programs, for all the money spent, have a poor track record of producing pro players. One obvious problem is that the administrators and coaches of these programs aren't judged on their ability to produce professional talent.

My guess is that the youth academies at clubs like Villareal spend much less money than ODP and produce twice the results.

11. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm still not sure about this...why is Zimmerman having to wait until his 18th birthday to sign with Hamburg?

12. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Of course, when Karbassiyoon was signed by Arsenal, people were bashing the USSF in the EXACT SAME WAY.

How did that turn out? :p :D

13. CuriousGeorge

CuriousGeorge New Member

Jan 6, 2003
    SoCal
    Obviously not as well as Karbassiyoon would have liked. Nonetheless, I don't see it as a total loss. Karbassiyoon was unfortune, in some respects, to find himself at a club where there was little opportunity for him. He also apparently found out that making the transition from American youth soccer to European professional soccer is a tough go. Finally, he was plagued by injury just about the time he should have been making a step up.

At age 22, a pro career is still a good possibility. I wish him well here in the U.S.

14. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    As if Europe doesn't have other sports.

15. purojogo

purojogo Member

Sep 23, 2001
    US/Peru home
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But i think the complaint has some validity to it, nevertheless....Playing devil's advocate...." Yes, Ramos, Vermes might have played second division in Spain....but have we ever had any FIELD players perform in La Liga -ie first division?-"

I mean Keller is cool and all, heck he has played everywhere anyway :p

The strides made by YA has certainly been amazing, shown especially when seeing players in England and Germany, arguably two of the big four... BUt many people would tell you -ands i'd be one of them- that La Liga is the best league in the world.... And Italy is at the very least superior to Bundesliga...

So, if playing abroad is -at least in part- about challenging oneself, why can't fans, just like players, wonder whether the jump can be made by some of our pros -particularly field players- over to Spain and/or Italy? And do well there to boot? i doubt this is too high an expectation, I hope very soon we can see this....

Maybe this move to an academy by this kid can be a start....

16. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    soccer is #1, 2, etc

17. JohnW

JohnW Member

Apr 27, 2001
    St. Paul
    I concede the main point of your post.

I just want to point out that without the near career-ending elbow from Leonardo on Ramos in WC '04, it's likely the argument would be, "With the exception of Tab Ramos, have we ever..." IIRC, Betis was either in Primera already or had just been promoted when Tab got injured.

Anyway, best of luck to Manzonelli. Nice find, ST.

18. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're moving the goalposts.

Someone is bashing US soccer for failing to find this kid, just like a few years ago, a tidal wave of posters were bashing US soccer for failing to recognize the incandescent talent of Danny Karbassiyoon. I'm just pointing out that interest from a top flight Euroclub is no proof that US soccer did anything wrong in its talent identification process. You gotta go elsewhere to find that.

19. Aalborg

Aalborg New Member

May 2, 2002

He played with Peter Vermes as well

Aalborg

20. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Top Italian clubs (and Juve is no longer one) are a lot wealthier than top German clubs and thus have a lot more talent.

But top 10-12 German clubs are arguably just as good as the top 10-12 clubs in Serie A. This is not 1995 anymore when Parma, Lazio, Roma, Napoli and Sampdoria could compete for the world's best talent. They may not be bereft of it but it's not on the old level. Financial problems and the foreign player limitations saw to that.

21. purojogo

purojogo Member

Sep 23, 2001
    US/Peru home
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i remember that, a true shame really... HAd Ramos gone on to perform in La liga's 1st div and done a decent to good job, he might have opened doors to otehr Americans as well..... Alas, that never happened due to that stupid/careless/criminal elbow....

I'd argue that Milan, Inter and Juve were every bit as challenging last season to the rest of Serie A, as only Bayern was -to such extent- to its Bundesliga foes....

As to the 10-12 top clubs, that is hard to quantify, but it seems to me Serie A is more challenging top to bottm, maybe due to tactics in great deal, but still it is very tough.... at least tougher than it has been for Bayern lately to come out on top, that is for sure....

22. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    whoa!

this is a rarity on these boards, but i've stated this before. however, it might be just you and me who believe this bruce.

(don't want to ignore the demographics argument, but for now our athletically superior kids are not being seen by soccer scouts across the land. they are being scouted by basketball, football, baseball and even some track agents.)

23. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Nah. A 4 x 100 relay team of the fastest junior high aged soccer kids in our state would whup a relay team of the guys who run track, and very possibly the other 3 sports as well.

24. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not even remotely true, unless you are going to spend a few weeks first drilling on how to pass a baton, but I think we get your point.

25. Pints

Pints Member

Apr 21, 2004
    Charm City
    If anyone is interested visit the Villarreal website to see any updates about this kid. They do seem to take some time to update the English versions but they keep good tabs on ALL thier youth squads.

Villarreal also recently hosted and won an International Youth Tournament at their training grounds. The town(and city of Castellon) showed up in good support as well.

FWIW he isn't listed as a member of any squad yet.