12/7/04 CL GS Matchday 6: FC Porto v. Chelsea FC [R]

Discussion in 'Chelsea' started by GPK, Dec 5, 2004.

1. Portoholic

Portoholic New Member

Sep 4, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I have a ton of respect for the Chelsea club and have maintained even before the season started that they will win the EPL. It's just a shame that Porto gets no respect, but thats ok because its nothing new.

I know Mourinho wanted this one bad. Some fans here may not quite get it that Jose winning in his old stomping grounds would have meant a lot to him.

2. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    Hey - we appreciate all the Porto support. I can understand it - I still follow some players after they leave my favorite clubs (Milan is now my second team in Italy solely due to Nesta and Sheva), and there seems to have been a Portuguese migration to London recently.
    Just that jonny may have taken his comments a bit far. ;)

3. BatatasFritas

BatatasFritas Member+

Nov 29, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    FC Porto
    I hope Porto and Chelsea meet again. I'm sure it will be a great match. :D

4. Clan

Clan Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Wouldn't doubt it.
    When the bods in charge can get the balls down too a small enough number to ..er...'make sure' of certain things ;)

Red nose didn't suddenly have an Archimedian moment when he though that pulling Real madrid was odd a few seasons back!

5. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Incidentally, Liverpool are down 1-0 at home to Olympiakos, whom they need to beat to qualify for the next stage. On one hand, I'd like to see more English teams win to increase the coefficient. On the other hand, the more Liverpool lose, the closer Gerrard is to wearing blue next fall.

6. Eddie26

Eddie26 Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Pittsadelphia
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    They are 1-0 down with 65% of the possession thus far. 8 shots on goal, 7 corners and 10 fouls already. That free kick through the wall was a dagger in scouser hearts...I am actually rooting for the scousers. I'd love to see Steven Gerrard in blue but if he's going to switch, it'll happen regardless of what happens in this game. Who's to say that if they do go through they don't draw Werder Bremen or Barcelona and go out. I don't think he would be happy with that either. I like Liverpool, but I don't think they are going to challenge for anything for another year or so. I just believe irregardless of this result, if Roman wants him and Steven really wants to win, he'll move on.

7. Clan

Clan Member

Apr 23, 2002
    I read an article yesterday morning, where he all but threatened them, that if they fail to qualify for the next round of the Europen Cup, he's off.

Besides, if they're going to go through, I want them in as group winners, not second placed.

8. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    They won't go through unless tey score 3(!!!) goals now. I don't see that happening.
    Gerrard is more likely to leave if they don't reach the knock out rounds, especially given the noises he's been making recently in the press. If they don't win the Merseyside derby either.........

9. Eddie26

Eddie26 Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Pittsadelphia
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I know they need three but what I am saying is, what is the consolation for Gerrard if they go to the final 16 and get thumped by Werder Bremen or Barcelona. Would he really feel that much better about Liverpool's future?

10. Clan

Clan Member

Apr 23, 2002

He gets to enjoy the holiday season ;)

11. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Holy Crap - Liverpool are up 3-1! And guess who scored the third goal!

12. Mel B

Mel B Red Card

Nov 10, 2004
    South Shields UK
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

Excellent. Come on the Blues. Erm. I mean reds.

13. Clan

Clan Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Figures.

Have to check their table.
    Don't want them in second.

14. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Monaco destroyed Depor, so Liverpool are second. Figures. :rolleyes:
    With United losing to deprive us of yet ANOTHER potential opponent in the CL, I believe we can now draw Real, Bayern, Barca, Werder or PSV. Any guesses which ones I'm hoping for? :rolleyes:

15. Eddie26

Eddie26 Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Pittsadelphia
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Wow, what a display by Liverpool. Wow...Wow. What a player Stevie Gerrard is. How many more games like this can Liverpool fans handle? I'm sure they'll take it as long as the Reds are winning.

16. Clan

Clan Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Thats a list of tough teams.
    The only consolation is that Arsenal have that list as well, switching Porto and PSV of course.

Friggin Red nose knew what he was doing, don't let anyone kid you on that.
    The wiley old bastard has been around far too long!

17. sinner78

sinner78 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 7, 2001
    Werder Bremen - Barcelona - PSV - Bayern Munich - Real Madrid

Tough bunch of opponents .

18. Eddie26

Eddie26 Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Pittsadelphia
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    So what team would everyone prefer?

Werder Bremen - 5th in Bundesliga 8-3-5 with a +17 GD (highest in Germ.)

Barcelona - No need to say anything...this is obviously the one to avoid.

Bayern Munich - 1st in Bundesliga 10-3-3 with a +13 GD

Real Madrid - See Barcelona above except I'd take them over Barca though

PSV - A tough game, very much a dark horse this year. Lead the Eredivisie with 41pts 13-2-0, undefeated with a +34GD. Homecoming of sorts for Robben and Kezman and Eidur (to a degree though it's been awhile).

After all that, I think I'd like to play one of the German teams over anyone.

19. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City

i want to see Chelsea draw either PSV or Real. I think Real is 2 unstable to beat us and PSV is just not as good as the other teams that we could play.

20. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City

Bremen-maybe, Bayern-no. Why Bayern? Do you really want ot see Kahn, Ballack, Makaay? I don't.

21. Clan

Clan Member

Apr 23, 2002
    The thing is though, these games are quite a bit in the future, form now doesnt necessarily mean anything.
    That being said, i would like to see us avoid Barca for now.

22. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    I'm not so sure. Their list isn't much better. Bayer, Monaco, Juve, Milan and Inter. Juve, Milan and Inter have looked scarier thus far in Europe than any team save Barca.

As for which opponents I'd take........I want to avoid Barca at all costs. I haev a feeling we will, since this is far too marquee of a matchup right away. I'd also rather not have Bayern who have loads of experience. As for the rest, its much of a muchness.
    When all's said and done, however, I'd take PSV.

23. Eddie26

Eddie26 Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Pittsadelphia
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Any team we face is going to be tough. There isn't a "cake" team. This is the same point (I believe) that Chelsea played Stuttgart last year.

24. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Bayern are still inconsistent and their performances against Juve demonstrated that they have trouble scoring against tight defenses. I'd rather avoid Makaay and Ballack, but Kahn? His was the blunder that resulted in Bayern crashing out of the CL last year.

25. GPK

GPK BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 5, 1999
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Was wondering why there was still talk in this thread....

Looks like 3/5 is a pretty tough (historically) final 16 match.